PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

msstate7
12-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Seems like we had a good weekend. Rankin looks to be on the verge of signing wed. Our recruits in the ms-al game looked great.

As we come down the stretch, who you realistically think we close with?

Coach34
12-14-2014, 10:15 PM
I think we are in heated battles for Lewis and Payne. The rest we sit really well on. Still working on some juco DT's I hear- so maybe a surprise coming there. Who knows

RealHastings
12-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Leo Lewis will be a bulldog IMO. The confeds are trying their damnedest to add some linebackers and I think this bodes well with where we stand with Leo.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Rankin, a Juco DT not sure who at this point, Gabe Campbell, HS OL leaning toward Gilliam right now, & Leo not overly confident on this 1 but feel pretty good.

CadaverDawg
12-14-2014, 10:31 PM
If somehow we manage to keep everyone we have committed AND sign Rankin, Leo, and Payne.....well....

http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/4-excited-nets-basketball-fan.gif

CadaverDawg
12-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Rankin, a Juco DT not sure who at this point, Gabe Campbell, HS OL leaning toward Gilliam right now, & Leo not overly confident on this 1 but feel pretty good.

Any real shot at Payne?

http://www.okmoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/1-Major-Payne-quotes.gif

Coach34
12-14-2014, 10:34 PM
I think Payne is gonna blue-ball us like Humphrey did in the end- but it's better to have a shot at the end than none at all

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 10:36 PM
I posted this in the Rankin thread. Good post from another board

I took a look at the Spirit board and it appears they have pretty much conceded Rankin. Yancy says that with Womack's flip to Alabama they are "done with offensive line recruiting" unless they can flip Womack again. When a poster asked about Rankin the responses indicated they really aren't going after him.

Other things of interest I noted:

Yancy thinks Peters is "a stud" but is a lock for State and the Rebs are making no further effort to recruit him.

After watching Leo Lewis in the MS v AL Allstar game most of them (not Yancy) question whether he can play in the SEC although others say it was a lack of effort.

Some (not Yancy) said Malik Dear is 40 pounds overweight and never will see the field at State.

They are worried about Will Muschamp's visit with Tony Bridges and that he might be persuaded to flip back to Auburn.

After Ugo Amadi's recent decommit from Ole Miss speculation is rampant about why he decommitted and where he would go. Believe it or not Yancy is blaming Ole Miss fans for not being as active contacting recruits on social media as they were two years ago and pointed to fans at UT and Auburn as being far more effective than Ole Miss fans in using social media to help recruit players. One poster replied by saying he thought it was a recruiting violation for fans to recruit players even on social media! I thought it was also.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 10:38 PM
I think Payne is gonna blue-ball us like Humphrey did in the end- but it's better to have a shot at the end than none at all

I think you're correct. I have no inside info, but payne's recruitment seems similar to Humphrey.

Whether we get Payne or not, him sporting our gear yesterday is a good thing. The top uncommitted player from Alabama was sporting MSU gear in the al-ms all star game. Cool...

SDDawg
12-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Lots of pressure on the top guys, I love this class and I hope we can hang on to all of the key guys. Make no mistake, the same Rebel bullshit is in full force and they are desperate to flip someone so they don't look like total goons and morons on NSD- their class is crashing and burning right now.

engie
12-14-2014, 10:46 PM
I never understand why DL want to go play in Bama's system. I'm surprised they get great DL -- and surprised when they don't get every LB in the country. I guess it's less imperative for an inside guy than a guy that considers himself a rush end...

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 10:49 PM
If Payne OV I'll be surprised. It's a Bama/Auburn battle with Bama leading.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 10:53 PM
If Payne OV I'll be surprised. It's a Bama/Auburn battle with Bama leading.

Wonder if muschamp will make a difference for auburn

NCDawg
12-15-2014, 03:28 PM
If it's true that Champion may not qualify and Auburn offers Williams a scholarship, that means we will have one committed offensive lineman, Moon. I understand he is a former TE who will be moved to the OL. We obviously really need to sign Rankin.

ShotgunDawg
12-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Payne says he is taking an official to MSU January 23rd. Same weekend as Mixon

Todd4State
12-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Ole Miss lost Tom Allen today. That might help us with Leo.

Todd4State
12-15-2014, 03:47 PM
I think we finish with Campbell, Rankin, Lewis, a JUCO DT who will hopefully be Taylor, two more high school o-linemen and then I think we take a surprise or two that no one is talking about. Like the WR from Starkville.

defiantdog
12-15-2014, 04:15 PM
if Payne does official on Jan 23rd, we'll have a chance. That's looking to be a big weekend for us.

maroonmania
12-15-2014, 04:17 PM
If it's true that Champion may not qualify and Auburn offers Williams a scholarship, that means we will have one committed offensive lineman, Moon. I understand he is a former TE who will be moved to the OL. We obviously really need to sign Rankin.

We better have been pretty damn confident that those things won't happen to have offered a grey shirt to Dureoun as early as we did. First I've even heard anything about the possibility of Champion not qualifying.

defiantdog
12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
We better have been pretty damn confident that those things won't happen to have offered a grey shirt to Dureoun as early as we did. First I've even heard anything about the possibility of Champion not qualifying.

There are rumors on Champion and Myers not qualifying. But they're just rumors.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2014, 04:23 PM
if Payne does official on Jan 23rd, we'll have a chance. That's looking to be a big weekend for us.

Yea the 23rd is when the OOS commits & top prospects will be in town. The 16th is when the Instate commits & top prospects will be here.

jumbo
12-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Rankin
Campbell
Lewis (sign & place)
Swain, Taylor or Carr (most likely Carr)
One more HS OL; Kenny Thomas, Darrian DeBrossard, Nathan Gilliam

maroonmania
12-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Rankin
Campbell
Lewis (sign & place)
Swain, Taylor or Carr (most likely Carr)
One more HS OL; Kenny Thomas, Darrian DeBrossard, Nathan Gilliam

Leo Lewis? He's got qualifying issues as well?

jumbo
12-15-2014, 04:58 PM

yes and yes

defiantdog
12-15-2014, 05:08 PM

A school will find a way to get Leo eligible.

Thick
12-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Man, I recorded the all star game to watch some of our recruits and Leo. He just did not impress me at all. He took plays off, a few times he just threw his arms out instead of moving his feet to get into position to make the tackle. He did not shed blocks well either. He's definitely got the size. Two things occurred: 1) he was really not interested in playing (character/drive issues). 2) he's overrated.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Man, I recorded the all star game to watch some of our recruits and Leo. He just did not impress me at all. He took plays off, a few times he just threw his arms out instead of moving his feet to get into position to make the tackle. He did not shed blocks well either. He's definitely got the size. Two things occurred: 1) he was really not interested in playing (character/drive issues). 2) he's overrated.

I thought a lot of the same things and it looked like he played to not get hurt.

bulldawg28
12-15-2014, 11:10 PM

Shhhhh....you'll get jumped on for saying that.