PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Johnny Football today in his starting debut? Still throwing off the

Saltydog
12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
back foot but it didn't work out for him today. I'm sure he'll have better days but he looked AWFUL and that's being nice. He's forgotten he's not in college anymore and doesn't have Mike Evan to just heave the ball up too and bail him out. Again, I think he'll get better. Hell, couldn't be much worse than today.

SDDawg
12-14-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't think it's going to work out for him long-term, he just looks out of place. The money sign and all of his showing out was cool for a minute, but 4 for 9 and 2 picks in the first half isn't going to beat anyone in the NFL.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 06:59 PM
He didn't do well, but his team was awful all around him. His receivers were dropping balls as well.

Plainly, he has a long way to go, but I believe it's terribly unfair to judge much off of today if you actually watched the game.

Cleveland's problems had little to do with Johnny

Saltydog
12-14-2014, 06:59 PM
nt

smootness
12-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Manziel was never going to be a good NFL QB. Even if you take away the fact that he probably won't outwork everyone else and isn't the smartest guy, his game is all about his scrambling ability...and he runs about a 4.7 40. That isn't going to work in the NFL. It didn't even end up working to a great degree for Mike Vick, who probably ran a legit 4.2 flat coming out.

Manziel is small, quick but not overly fast, without a strong arm or the instincts or football smarts to get it done. People compare him to Russell Wilson, but literally the only thing comparable is their size, which is the only actual negative to Wilson's game. Wilson is faster, with a stronger and more accurate arm and a higher release point...and he's infinitely smarter in his understanding the game. And he's a harder worker.

whosyourdawgy
12-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Manziel was never going to be a good NFL QB. Even if you take away the fact that he probably won't outwork everyone else and isn't the smartest guy, his game is all about his scrambling ability...and he runs about a 4.7 40. That isn't going to work in the NFL. It didn't even end up working to a great degree for Mike Vick, who probably ran a legit 4.2 flat coming out.

Manziel is small, quick but not overly fast, without a strong arm or the instincts or football smarts to get it done. People compare him to Russell Wilson, but literally the only thing comparable is their size, which is the only actual negative to Wilson's game. Wilson is faster, with a stronger and more accurate arm and a higher release point...and he's infinitely smarter in his understanding the game. And he's a harder worker.

This all day long. What it looked like to me is that JFF wasn't as prepared as he should've been. Was indecisive when he dropped back and held the ball way too long. He looked horrific. But it was his first start vs a pretty damn god defense. He needs to use Gordon like he used Evans in college. When things break down, find him and chuck it that way.

Bo Darville
12-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Quarterbacking in the NFL takes a lot of hard work. Film study is hugely important. Successful guys put in the work. Thus far, Manziel has worked hard at being a jackass. He has his money, so the work it takes to be a success isn't his priority. I would be careful throwing a load of cash at Jameis Winston also.

whosyourdawgy
12-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Thing is JFF got a decent contract but with the way rookie deals are done now, it isn't that big. He will need to earn his big payday after year 3 if I'm no mistaken. He better get his ass in the film room and learn the playbook if he wants to get there.

Todd4State
12-14-2014, 11:46 PM
I figure if the NFL doesn't work out, he might end up being pretty good in Canada.

CJDAWG85
12-14-2014, 11:56 PM
In all fairness, his O-Line was terrible and his WR's dropped a lot of balls. But the Bengals game plan was awesome. They watched his games against LSU and mimicked it. I think he will be fine, but he needs to stop thinking he can throw it up and get lucky like in college. Also, the Browns need to work their offense around him. Putting him under center isn't his comfort zone.