PDA

View Full Version : Martinas Rankin update

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Paul just posted Rankin's visit interview, and it sounds very positive for us.

Also of note, David Johnson just Crystal Balled Rankin to MSU

Jacksondevildog
12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I hope and pray that there isn't some economics class that he has to pass at Gulf Coast to play in the SEC. I don't want to see on twitter Wednesday morning that he committed to Texas Tech out of nowhere. It would be a huge pull at a position of need.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Really need this kid

1bigdawg
12-14-2014, 02:43 PM
When David Johnson CBs someone to us, it is over. He always CBs recruits to TSUN, then when he knows where they are going he changes it to up his percentage.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:46 PM
When can he sign?

Jacksondevildog
12-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Wednesday.
When can he sign?

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Wednesday.

Good. So we're expecting gray, rankin (hopefully), and Calvin to sign wed? Anyone else?

Jacksondevildog
12-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Isn't Dear also an early enrollee? I could be wrong about that.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Good. So we're expecting gray, rankin (hopefully), and Calvin to sign wed? Anyone else?

Malik Dear, Deddrick Thomas, and maybe more

CadaverDawg
12-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Crossing my fingers. Rankin would be a good get

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I feel good about Rankin.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 02:59 PM
If you add Rankin. It's Rankin, Gray, Calvin, Dear, D. Thomas, & Smitherman as early enrollees. Then we're hoping to add a juco DT as well.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 03:01 PM
If rankin signs, do we play j Johnson as 3rd tackle or move him to guard?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Joq & Rankin will battle for the other OT spot but I could see them checking out Joq at RG also if Rankin takes over that position early.

Coach34
12-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Say what you want about Hev- this has been "his guy" he has wanted for awhile now. And yes, when Johnson CB's someone to us- game over.

engie
12-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Say what you want about Hev- this has been "his guy" he has wanted for awhile now. And yes, when Johnson CB's someone to us- game over.

Very true...

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Robbie Faulk just said that Martinas is still at practice and is currently huddling up with Hev and the offense

msstate7
12-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Robbie Faulk just said that Martinas is still at practice and is currently huddling up with Hev and the offense

Good news

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Good news

Yeah, I would think that just about seals it. Most recruits leave campus around noon. The fact that he's still there and huddling up sounds like nothing but confirmation.

SDDawg
12-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Sure do love that February trophy! **

http://www.krusty.com/rneal/trophy.gif

BeastMan
12-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Yep. When our fans were freaking out about Danley and the word was the we weren't really recruiting him... Makes sense doesn't it?

Todd4State
12-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Sure do love that February trophy! **

http://www.krusty.com/rneal/trophy.gif

Honestly, I wish the NCAA would allow us to sign everyone in December and just get it over with.

Todd4State
12-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Yep. When our fans were freaking out about Danley and the word was the we weren't really recruiting him... Makes sense doesn't it?

It's very interesting to me how recruiting web sites choose to promote certain players in an effort to make fans put pressure on a coaching staff to take a player that may not be as good as the one the coaches want.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Just noticed rankin has been bumped up to a 4-star (95 ranking) on 247.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 05:19 PM
If rankin signs, do we play j Johnson as 3rd tackle or move him to guard?

Hev wants to find 3 tackles, 3 guards, and 2 centers. Here you go:

Tackle: Rankin, Senior, Warren
Guard: Malone, Desper, Flowers
Center: Clayborn/Calhoun

Don't really see anyone else being a factor except for Elgton Jenkins.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 05:22 PM

If we took johnson from juco, RSed him, and then get nothing from him, we messed up somewhere

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 05:24 PM
If we took johnson from juco, RSed him, and then get nothing from him, we messed up somewhere

It happens, we've addressed it by grabbing Rankin.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 05:27 PM

While lacking experience, this could be the most talented o-line Hev has had to work with

msstate7
12-14-2014, 05:28 PM
It happens, we've addressed it by grabbing Rankin.

If johnson won't be used, it would've been nice to have that scholarship for derouen.

Derouen just got CBed to USCe

engie
12-14-2014, 05:29 PM
I think we're still taking another HS OL...

msstate7
12-14-2014, 05:31 PM
I think we're still taking another HS OL...

The tackle (wake forest commit)from tenn?

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Honestly, if you have to redshirt a Juco, you probably messed up somewhere. Johnson was not a highly recruited player out of Juco. Who knows, maybe he will take off in the offseason. He has gotten stronger since the fall.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Honestly, if you have to redshirt a Juco, you probably messed up somewhere. Johnson was not a highly recruited player out of Juco. Who knows, maybe he will take off in the offseason. He has gotten stronger since the fall.

Agree, if you are a juco, and redshirt, we missed.

maroonmania
12-14-2014, 05:52 PM
If johnson won't be used, it would've been nice to have that scholarship for derouen.

Derouen just got CBed to USCe

I really wonder what exactly happened with Derouen? Usually, if Hev offers and takes a guy early he really wants him. Wonder if maybe he just didn't progress during his SR season as expected or if we've just got prospects THAT much better wanting to jump on because if they were reasonably equal I would assume we would stay with the guy that jumped on board early.

maroonmania
12-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Yep, it would mean we got "Trapped" again so to speak. Its happened before.

Coach34
12-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Johnson and Jenkins will be factors also

Coach34
12-14-2014, 05:56 PM

We talked about burning Johnson's RS when Robinson went down. Johnson will be in the mix somewhere

msstate7
12-14-2014, 05:57 PM
We talked about burning Johnson's RS when Robinson went down. Johnson will be in the mix somewhere

Good to know

Coach34
12-14-2014, 05:57 PM

he was hurt and that slowed his progress- he barely even practiced in the Spring

Jacksondevildog
12-14-2014, 06:25 PM
he was hurt and that slowed his progress- he barely even practiced in the Spring

I was just about to post this. Jocquell would have played some if it wasn't for his injury.

smootness
12-14-2014, 06:35 PM

But redshirting them only compounds the problem. I would hope that if we determine a JUCO is a wasted scholarship before the season, we would avoid redshirting them so that we're only out 2 years of a scholarship rather than 3.

I would hope that in the event we do redshirt a JUCO, while not ideal, it means we still believe they can be a factor.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Joq will challenge for a starting job.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Joq will challenge for a starting job.

Joc is running 3rd string tackle right now. We will see. I hope he continues to improve.

mic
12-14-2014, 06:53 PM
You can NEVER have enough OL...
We were actually very lucky we had very limited injuries to our staring 5 this year

Coach34
12-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Joc is running 3rd string tackle right now. .

He's a RS- you arent going to give top 2 reps to someone that isnt going to play on Saturday

Saltydog
12-14-2014, 07:39 PM
nt

Coach34
12-14-2014, 08:17 PM
I've heard it's being talked about. He won't be on scholarship if he does- or won't count against the 85

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 08:23 PM
But redshirting them only compounds the problem. I would hope that if we determine a JUCO is a wasted scholarship before the season, we would avoid redshirting them so that we're only out 2 years of a scholarship rather than 3.

I would hope that in the event we do redshirt a JUCO, while not ideal, it means we still believe they can be a factor.

Speaking of jucos not contributing, did Hutcherson play this year? I swear I saw him out there, but I don't see him as having a catch this year.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Speaking of jucos not contributing, did Hutcherson play this year? I swear I saw him out there, but I don't see him as having a catch this year.

He played on special teams and in mop up duty.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 08:28 PM
nt

We won't know if Damien will be granted a 6th year until after our bowl game. Then it will be up to Damien if he still wants to play.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 08:30 PM
He played on special teams and in mop up duty.

Now that's a wasted scholly.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Now that's a wasted scholly.

Not if he can fill the Brandon Hill role next year.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Great post on another board. Haha

I took a look at the Spirit board and it appears they have pretty much conceded Rankin. Yancy says that with Womack's flip to Alabama they are "done with offensive line recruiting" unless they can flip Womack again. When a poster asked about Rankin the responses indicated they really aren't going after him.

Other things of interest I noted:

Yancy thinks Peters is "a stud" but is a lock for State and the Rebs are making no further effort to recruit him.

After watching Leo Lewis in the MS v AL Allstar game most of them (not Yancy) question whether he can play in the SEC although others say it was a lack of effort.

Some (not Yancy) said Malik Dear is 40 pounds overweight and never will see the field at State.

They are worried about Will Muschamp's visit with Tony Bridges and that he might be persuaded to flip back to Auburn.

After Ugo Amadi's recent decommit from Ole Miss speculation is rampant about why he decommitted and where he would go. Believe it or not Yancy is blaming Ole Miss fans for not being as active contacting recruits on social media as they were two years ago and pointed to fans at UT and Auburn as being far more effective than Ole Miss fans in using social media to help recruit players. One poster replied by saying he thought it was a recruiting violation for fans to recruit players even on social media! I thought it was also.