PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wommack flips to Alabama

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:13 PM
That's a tough one for the Rebs. That being said, I can't stand when in-state kids leave Mississippi. The two universities in this state offer exceptional facilities and every opportunity that out of state schools offer.

I hope this year will go a long way to change that thinking by young kids in this state, and I hope there aren't many Matt Wommacks in the future.

Kid seems like a front runner

Matt Womack ‏@MattWomack2015 7m7 minutes ago
After many weeks of thinking I've decided to change my commitment from LSU to The University of Alabama. There's no place like it! Roll tide

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Thought he grew up an lsu fan and it was his dream offer.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Thought he grew up an lsu fan and it was his dream offer.

That's what we were told. Turns out he's just a front runner.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:18 PM
This is probably good news for OM in that bama added another tackle right? Talking about Richmond

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Can we expect lsu to look at champion now?

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:21 PM
What's also interesting is that Wommack had already signed his "Financial Aid Agreement" with LSU. Not sure I've seen a guy flip after doing that.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Can we expect lsu to look at champion now?

Would it matter?

SDDawg
12-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Interesting deal here, could throw some stuff up in the air. I don't think it affects us but I know that many OMers had him in the bag already as a Merry Flipmas present. Are we sure he's not going to flip again?!? LOL

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Would it matter?

Hope not. I don't pretend to know what these kids think

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Interesting deal here, could throw some stuff up in the air. I don't think it affects us but I know that many OMers had him in the bag already as a Merry Flipmas present. Are we sure he's not going to flip again?!? LOL
He might. Probably gonna see who wins the playoff first**

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
That's a tough one for the Rebs. That being said, I can't stand when in-state kids leave Mississippi. The two universities in this state offer exceptional facilities and every opportunity that out of state schools offer.

I hope this year will go a long way to change that thinking by young kids in this state, and I hope there aren't many Matt Wommacks in the future.

Kid seems like a front runner

Matt Womack ‏@MattWomack2015 7m7 minutes ago
After many weeks of thinking I've decided to change my commitment from LSU to The University of Alabama. There's no place like it! Roll tide

I'm just glad we have backed off. There is a lot of drama that surrounds this young man. This may affect us, but I'm not sure.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
My guess is that LSU knew this was a possibility, and would have been heavy on Champion already if he was their top guy

MabenMaroon
12-14-2014, 02:28 PM
This is setting up for the 'ultimate' landbearshark flip. All of this is being engineered by the tsun media propaganda, come early Feb they will be able to claim that they flipped this one from LSU, UA and MSU, that they overcame all in landing this prize. ***

EAVdog
His Momma and Girlfriend are OM fans. Lot of Ole Miss folks in his family. Dad has said it'll be his decision though. I'd pick Bama over LSU, can't blame him. Won't be long before someone on Rebs 247 will DM his dad asking if he got a Crimson Truck!

msstate7
My guess is that LSU knew this was a possibility, and would have been heavy on Champion already if he was their top guy

Probably right. I expect OM to come hard after champion anyway.

engie
12-14-2014, 02:36 PM
I don't see Wommack as a T personally....

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 02:43 PM
I don't see Wommack as a T personally....

He isn't. He is a OG. I don't care what they are telling him, he will end up at OG.

Homedawg
12-14-2014, 02:56 PM
We can worry about champion in 2 years when we have to recruit him again.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Champion is fine whether OM or LSU. I agree with both Hancock & Engie no way Womack is a OT in the SEC. I do think he can be a quality OG tho.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 02:57 PM

No chance he makes it?

engie
12-14-2014, 03:00 PM
No chance he makes it?

I don't buy it.

Ifyouonlyknew
Champion has work to do but it's doable.

defiantdog

Champion and Myers both have a shot at being on campus in the Fall. I wouldn't count either of them out yet.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Champion and Myers both have a shot at being on campus in the Fall. I wouldn't count either of them out yet.

This is where our compliance gets a bad rap, we do a great job of getting guys qualified that are long shots. I can't remember the last guy we didnt end up having here for two-a-days that was a long shot.

Jacksondevildog
12-14-2014, 03:21 PM
I would hope that We could keep Champion, especially considering that Pork Chop Womack coaches at Callaway.
Probably right. I expect OM to come hard after champion anyway.

engie
12-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks to David Saunders and "the plan"...

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 03:30 PM
This is where our compliance gets a bad rap, we do a great job of getting guys qualified that are long shots. I can't remember the last guy we didnt end up having here for two-a-days that was a long shot.

We had Ravian Pierce and Durr just this past year

defiantdog
12-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Hell, we are still having issues with Pierce

msstate7
12-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Hell, we are still having issues with Pierce

Hopefully we get him in. That kid had offers from everyone.

EAVdog
12-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Our Plan has made it possible for Ravian to get here in January instead of having to do 2 yrs at Juco.

smootness
12-14-2014, 04:09 PM

To be fair, Pierce wasn't really even a 'long shot' when he committed to us. He was a 'never getting in,' yet there were still whispers at the end he might make it. There's a reason he was committed to FAU when he flipped to us.

defiantdog
12-14-2014, 04:21 PM
To be fair, Pierce wasn't really even a 'long shot' when he committed to us. He was a 'never getting in,' yet there were still whispers at the end he might make it. There's a reason he was committed to FAU when he flipped to us.

His offer list was ridiculous though...... Florida, FSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and a bunch more. The guy has to be legit.

msstate7
12-14-2014, 04:40 PM
His offer list was ridiculous though...... Florida, FSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and a bunch more. The guy has to be legit.
Add arkansas to that list. When bielema wants a te, take notice.

Garrett graham (texans), lance kendricks (Rams), and his next nfl'er, hunter Henry.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 04:52 PM

And Cooper.

BeastMan
12-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Bama turned up the heat late summer for Wommack. MSU wasnt a factor. OM was never a factor. Bama had a lot of tough recruiting to do to get him away from LSU but props to them for making it happen. I personally thought he'd never flip from LSU. Great job by Bama's staff.

Homedawg
12-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Not what I'm hearing on either....hope your source is better than mine.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Those were sign and place guys, not guys we thought would be here.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Not what I'm hearing on either....hope your source is better than mine.

I'm hearing we are going to have 3 sign and places. Champion was not one of the names I heard, but it looks like we are trying to sign a 3rd tackle so that makes me wonder.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Thing about the last HS OL is I think we want a guy who can play OG or OT. I don't think its bc of Champion.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Thing about the last HS OL is I think we want a guy who can play OG or OT. I don't think its bc of Champion.

That's what I'm hoping b/c I have never heard Champion's grades being questioned.

smootness
12-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Oh, absolutely. I think the guy has a ton of talent. But my point is that even with all those 'offers,' he was committed to FAU...which tells me that they all backed off because they knew he wouldn't make it. Thus, I don't think it's fair to count him against our track record of getting 'long shots' in. He wasn't a long shot, he just was never going to make it.

Thick
12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
I watched Wommack at MRA this. MRA rolled, and I really wasn't impressed. He played tackle though, so maybe a move to guard will suit him best. Good size, took plays off. I have several friends that send their kids to MH, and they seem to think he's soft. By the way, saw big Sean Rawlings a few times at MRA this season. He looks the same, except he's got a nice size gut.

Madisonmd
12-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Friend watched Wommack against Starkville Academy this season and did not even think he was MH best lineman. Just can't figure this one out. My nephew played against him this year also and was unimpressed. Baffling? I guess this is why Saban gets the big bucks!

Todd4State
12-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Friend watched Wommack against Starkville Academy this season and did not even think he was MH best lineman. Just can't figure this one out. My nephew played against him this year also and was unimpressed. Baffling? I guess this is why Saban gets the big bucks!

It's sort of like a guy that is 7'0" in high school and he gets a scholarship based on that.

engie
12-14-2014, 10:42 PM

I've basically never heard anything different about HS OL in MS. There's probably a rare instance of this not being true -- but in general it's always the same story depending on who you ask. Projecting them out is why coaches get paid the big $$. Same was true for Desper, Malone, and Clayborn that I saw/knew guys that played against them...

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 10:55 PM
I've basically never heard anything different about HS OL in MS. There's probably a rare instance of this not being true -- but in general it's always the same story depending on who you ask. Projecting them out is why coaches get paid the big $$. Same was true for Desper, Malone, and Clayborn that I saw/knew guys that played against them...

Agree.

I don't think it's to difficult to figure out what college coaches are thinking here. What % of the general population is 18 years old, and at least 6'3" 270 pounds? Maybe 50 in Mississippi? How many of those guys play football? maybe 30. How many of those 30 have any athletic ability whatsoever? Maybe 10

So, at the end of the day, there may be so few options and sure things, that if a kid is at least 6'3" 270 lbs and can move his feet, then whether he can play or not becomes secondary since there are very few option and none of them can play

Todd4State
12-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Agree.

I don't think it's to difficult to figure out what college coaches are thinking here. What % of the general population is 18 years old, and at least 6'3" 270 pounds? Maybe 50 in Mississippi? How many of those guys play football? maybe 30. How many of those 30 have any athletic ability whatsoever? Maybe 10

So, at the end of the day, there may be so few options and sure things, that if a kid is at least 6'3" 270 lbs and can move his feet, then whether he can play or not becomes secondary since there are very few option and none of them can play

And Womack is 6'7" 320 per 247 which is probably even more rare than the example that you used. So, basically schools are taking a chance and hoping that their S&C coach can develop them from a 3 star or whatever into a 4-5 star at the end of their career.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2014, 11:44 PM
And Womack is 6'7" 320 per 247 which is probably even more rare than the example that you used. So, basically schools are taking a chance and hoping that their S&C coach can develop them from a 3 star or whatever into a 4-5 star at the end of their career.

Exactly, the population just doesn't produce many of those guys, and even fewer have a pulse of athleticism.

TUSK
12-15-2014, 04:47 PM
This is setting up for the 'ultimate' landbearshark flip. All of this is being engineered by the tsun media propaganda, come early Feb they will be able to claim that they flipped this one from LSU, UA and MSU, that they overcame all in landing this prize. ***

iswydt....

3 "*"s?

nice.

TUSK
12-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I'd love to see this kid be another Anthony Steen...

Thick
12-15-2014, 08:35 PM
I bet you would!