PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid It's time, guys.

CadaverDawg
12-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Anybody shocked that this point has come with our bball team, was simply wishing, hoping, or brainwashed.

And spare me the "but what if we get Malik" stuff. He wants to play for this shit show about as much as we want to watch it I'm afraid.

I used to love watching MSU basketball so much. Used to attend a bunch of games. Now I would rather go watch our women's team. It is time to make a change. Whatever it takes to bring this program back to life. Hell of an effort by Ray, and not his fault, he just wasn't quite ready to be a head coach, and the hire shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, and someone can delete this if They want to....but if we make a move now, at least the new coach would have an experienced team coming back next year to try and springboard off of.

HailState39110
12-13-2014, 06:44 PM
You might be right but I think we need to see how we respond the next 2 months . It is imperative that we show signs of life this season to give fans a reason to see we are turning the corner

I seen it dawg
12-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Long season. Nothing gonna happen this year as far as any changes. Futile to invest emotion in it.

sleepy dawg
12-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Fire Mullen he said. Fire Cohen he said. Fire Ray he says.

HailState39110
12-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Long season. Nothing gonna happen this year as far as any changes.

You think if Ray wins 3 or 4 conference games this year he will be back? Pretty Cush job

CadaverDawg
12-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Fire Mullen he said. Fire Cohen he said. Fire Ray he says.

I never EVER said fire Cohen. And I said "don't hire" Ray.*

And I said, "fire Mullen if he doesn't beat Ark and OM" last year....well, he did.

So technically, this is my first "Fire ____".

But if you want to keep watching this garbage, by all means, start a "Rick Ray needs an extension" thread. You'll probably get a ton of agreement.*

But please don't lie about things I've said. Disagree if you'd like, but don't put words in my mouth that I did not say. Thanks

CJDAWG85
12-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Ray is in 3rd year with decent talent and we still haven't turned the corner... If this season is no better than the last 2, it's time.

Quaoarsking
12-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Let's see how the SEC season turns out. If we're 3-15 again, it's something we're going to have to consider, unfortunately. I'd like to think we'll win 7 or 8 SEC games and show some progress.

msstate7
12-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Ray is in 3rd year with decent talent and we still haven't turned the corner... If this season is no better than the last 2, it's time.
I agree. I hope he turns it around bc I like ray, but I'm doubtful

JOHNHEVESYMADE
12-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Anybody shocked that this point has come with our bball team, was simply wishing, hoping, or brainwashed.

And spare me the "but what if we get Malik" stuff. He wants to play for this shit show about as much as we want to watch it I'm afraid.

I used to love watching MSU basketball so much. Used to attend a bunch of games. Now I would rather go watch our women's team. It is time to make a change. Whatever it takes to bring this program back to life. Hell of an effort by Ray, and not his fault, he just wasn't quite ready to be a head coach, and the hire shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, and someone can delete this if They want to....but if we make a move now, at least the new coach would have an experienced team coming back next year to try and springboard off of.

If any of yall watched the Tulane and Oregon State games live you would realize that the teams we are losing too are not very good. It's a long season but we are 1-23 on the road. We are 7-29 in SEC play. Ole Miss is about to open a new arena which is a game changer for them in recruiting. When do we pull the plug? We need to make a move sooner rather than later. We have Sly Croom as our coach and there is nothing that makes me think otherwise. Ray cleaned up the program now lets go get a coach that is a proven winner and get this program back to where it was.

CadaverDawg
12-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Let's see how the SEC season turns out. If we're 3-15 again, it's something we're going to have to consider, unfortunately. I'd like to think we'll win 7 or 8 SEC games and show some progress.

Yea, I have no problem watching the season play out. It just sucks to know that the season is already shot when it comes to any type of postseason play. And the 1-23 road record is just totally brutal. I really did hope that Ray could get it done....but this is how I realistically figured it would play out.

IMissJack
12-13-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm afraid we are about to find out that getting rid of Stans before having a backup plan is going to cost us 10 years to turn around. Nice job grasshopper.

msstate7
12-13-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm afraid we are about to find out that getting rid of Stans before having a backup plan is going to cost us 10 years to turn around. Nice job grasshopper.

Getting rid of stans was the correct move. The problem is Im beginning to think we hired the wrong man. I hope I'm wrong

mparkerfd20
12-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Getting rid of stans was the correct move. The problem is Im beginning to think we hired the wrong man. I hope I'm wrong

Yep getting rid of Stans was right. Getting Ray was wrong. No need in hoping I'm wrong anymore. I know I'm right.

Maroonthirteen
12-13-2014, 08:02 PM
I agree 7. I didn't want Stans to ever leave but he left us no choice with the handling of Sydney. So, the problem was the selection of the replacement. But replacing a longtime successful head coach is easier said than done. See Memphis basketball....UT football...etc etc.

bulldawg28
12-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Close this thread recruits might read this.***

sleepy dawg
12-13-2014, 08:10 PM
I still believe Rick Ray can get it done. It's the little things. The man is has his head in the right place. He loves the game. He's always looking for small ways to gain a competitive advantage and although these things aren't translating on the court, I think they will if he's given the time.

The man took over as bad of a situation as you could possibly take over. He's not a good enough recruiter to instantly get awesome guys in here. He needs time to build his guys from the ground up, much like Mullen and Cohen. Now I do not believe Ray is anywhere as good as Cohen or Mullen, but I do believe he's good enough to compete in the SEC, and I think he will soon. If you want a guy that will have the talent to compete for a national championship immediately he's not your guy. He might eventually be able to get that kind of talent, but he has to win first with shitty guys.

We will not be as bad this year in the SEC as we were last year. We won't be great either. Next year we'll be a little better (barring an NBA ready player playing for us, in which case we will be much better). He just needs to get his guys with the relentless mindset like Cohen and Mullen. Guys that will buy in. I know 3 years is a long time to sit around being shitty, but I still think it is going to be worth it.

If we see no improvement in the SEC this year, then fine. Fire him. But I really believe we will continue to a little better every year. Our guys just play different and look different than in years past, but our talent is much lower than when Stansbury was here. It looks like they want it. Ray wants it. They're not the best players on the court most nights, but they'll play hard and they will have to continue to every day.

If we can just win 7 SEC games this year, we could move up 4 spots from last year. That's all I want right now.

TheDogFather
12-13-2014, 08:15 PM

It's Rick Stansbury's fault.

TheDogFather
12-13-2014, 08:18 PM

The we'll make the NIT bar has officially been lowered.

DownwardDawg
12-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Close this thread recruits might read this.***

Hahahaha!!! Nice!

HailState39110
12-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Cohen turned the corner in Year 3. Mullen turned the corner in year 2.

Basketball you could argue is is the easiest to turn around because all you need is 3 studs and some decent role players to compete at a high level.

The past 2 years we have gone through 13 game Confernence losing streaks both seasons. I Don't think we can afford to sit through another season like the past two. I'm not asking for Ray to make a Sweet 16. I would like to see us play .500 ball in the SEC . If he cant do that then I have have a hard time believing he is our guy to lead the future of this program

thedawg
12-13-2014, 08:27 PM
The last two games have sucked.. It's a long season.. He still has time but his ass is on the clock... We need to figure it out and get hot if he's gonna stick around

I seen it dawg
12-13-2014, 08:58 PM
You think if Ray wins 3 or 4 conference games this year he will be back? Pretty Cush job

I said this year. Reread.

HancockCountyDog
12-13-2014, 09:10 PM

He is getting next year. He will need a bubble type year. 20-22 wins. I say that because 2016 will be rebuilding season. I recommend not caring as much, focus on football recruiting.

CadaverDawg
12-13-2014, 09:25 PM
He is getting next year. He will need a bubble type year. 20-22 wins. I say that because 2016 will be rebuilding season. I recommend not caring as much, focus on football recruiting.

Yea, i'm sure he'll get next year.

That being said, if he will need a 20+ win season next year to keep his job, we might as well go ahead and get someone new because that ain't happening. I'd like to see us put feelers out for some decent coaches as soon as our season ends. If we get no interest, we might as well wait a season because the last thing we need is Ray 2.0 with a 3+ year guarantee. At that point we hope like hell he can reel in Malik, and immediately begin searching for the best Assistant or smaller division coach that is looking for a great opportunity, so we can have a hire in place as soon as next season ends.

Let's face it, there is nothing being shown that makes me feel we can even make the NIT, much less a NCAA Tourney, Sweet 16, etc....and I thought that's what our goals were. Me and one of our fellow EliteDawgs were talking the other day about how we used to go to games in a packed Hump to watch two of the best SEC teams battle it out for what could be the Regular Season Conference Title. Now we watch games when we can, in hopes of seeing "great effort" or "improvement". Improvement time is over, and it's time to win some games. To be out of the race of any postseason tourneys this early in the season, is shit. And I'm finally to the point that I can't just smile and wait for baseball anymore. Mississippi State needs it's basketball back.

Side note: If sucking at basketball leads to more football seasons like this one....I retract all of the above comments and will get over the losing.*

HancockCountyDog
12-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Yea, i'm sure he'll get next year.

That being said, if he will need a 20+ win season next year to keep his job, we might as well go ahead and get someone new because that ain't happening. I'd like to see us put feelers out for some decent coaches as soon as our season ends. If we get no interest, we might as well wait a season because the last thing we need is Ray 2.0 with a 3+ year guarantee. At that point we hope like hell he can reel in Malik, and immediately begin searching for the best Assistant or smaller division coach that is looking for a great opportunity, so we can have a hire in place as soon as next season ends.

Let's face it, there is nothing being shown that makes me feel we can even make the NIT, much less a NCAA Tourney, Sweet 16, etc....and I thought that's what our goals were. Me and one of our fellow EliteDawgs were talking the other day about how we used to go to games in a packed Hump to watch two of the best SEC teams battle it out for what could be the Regular Season Conference Title. Now we watch games when we can, in hopes of seeing "great effort" or "improvement". Improvement time is over, and it's time to win some games. To be out of the race of any postseason tourneys this early in the season, is shit. And I'm finally to the point that I can't just smile and wait for baseball anymore. Mississippi State needs it's basketball back.

Side note: If sucking at basketball leads to more football seasons like this one....I retract all of the above comments and will get over the losing.*

I think when we fired Stans we knew we choosing to be irrelevant in basketball for a while. The tradeoff was not being an embarrassment. We are not an embarrassement any more. We have kids that listen to their coach, stay out of trouble and work hard. Problem is that they simply are not that good at basketball.

I think we can win 6-8 games in the SEC this year because the SEC is terrible, but that is it. If we can win 8 SEC games and a few more OOC games - that may mean a winning record. That would be progress.

Jacksondevildog
12-13-2014, 09:57 PM
I am not disagreeing with you, but tell me the eight conference games that we may win. The SEC is as bad in basketball as it's been a long time and I have a hard time finding five wins.

CadaverDawg
12-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I am not disagreeing with you, but tell me the eight conference games that we may win. The SEC is as bad in basketball as it's been a long time and I have a hard time finding five wins.

Yep.

And we can start by marking off All road games. How many opportunities at wins does that leave us in SEC play?

Goat from MSU
12-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I wish someone would set Ray down and tell him ,you don't win 8 SEC games you will be gone . That's done in the real world maybe it will work on him.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I wish someone would set Ray down and tell him ,you don't win 8 SEC games you will be gone . That's done in the real world maybe it will work on him.

Honestly I would be happy if we just had a few players that Ray committed and signed that I could be excited about.

CadaverDawg
12-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Honestly I would be happy if we just had a few players that Ray committed and signed that I could be excited about.

Yep.

When I go back to the days where we were pretty good, I remember that even when we played a bad team, they had at least one go-to guard that could create his own shot and give them a slim shot at an upset. We don't have that. People want to try and claim Sword or Ready are those types, but they aren't. I'm talking about a guy like the UAB guy that lit us up at the Hump that time although we still won. Somebody that makes you feel like you at least have a shot to win a big game if they get hot.

I'm reminded of the guy that played for South Carolina a few years back and helped them beat Kentucky. His name escapes me, but he was so fun to watch. And he gave them a chance to win every game, even though they didn't win many. He put butts in seats. If we at least had something exciting to watch it would be better. But what we have now is a team that can't win, and plays boring, uninspiring basketball with no exciting "star" on the team. Just a depressing situation all around really.

justwin
12-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Before I fire any coach, I always want to see what they can do, at least once, with "their" team to match their system.

Mullen proved that once he gets a qb, he gets 10 wins. Cohen proved that once he got gritty defensive middle infielders and a bunch of quality arms, deep playoff runs.

All this said, is that I want to see a healthy Sword and basketball acclimated Staley in the mix as I think these two guys turn these recent losses into wins.

We're 5-3 now. We should win the next 4 vs creampuffs to get to 9. Then, we close nonconference with @ home with a "name" team in Florida State that is currently 4-5. I'll take 10-3 going into the 18 SEC games.

drunkernhelldawg
12-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Ten years would exceed my current expectations. Basically, we threw away a dominant position in our region and state. We had some bad luck. The Hump is our Odysseus.

Coach007
12-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Replace him at the end of this season. Find a decent young name. Recruits will come.

Political Hack
12-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Before I fire any coach, I always want to see what they can do, at least once, with "their" team to match their system.

Mullen proved that once he gets a qb, he gets 10 wins. Cohen proved that once he got gritty defensive middle infielders and a bunch of quality arms, deep playoff runs.

All this said, is that I want to see a healthy Sword and basketball acclimated Staley in the mix as I think these two guys turn these recent losses into wins.

We're 5-3 now. We should win the next 4 vs creampuffs to get to 9. Then, we close nonconference with @ home with a "name" team in Florida State that is currently 4-5. I'll take 10-3 going into the 18 SEC games.

our schedule is softer than Charmin. Beat someone who matters.

NCDawg
12-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Replace him at the end of this season. Find a decent young name. Recruits will come.

And do you have any confidence in our AD hiring a "decent young name". I don't. He had his chance with this hire and blew it.

shannondawg
12-14-2014, 12:45 PM
One positive to come out of all this, the next coach won't be accused of only winning because of Ray's recruits.

Coach007
12-14-2014, 12:47 PM
And do you have any confidence in our AD hiring a "decent young name". I don't. He had his chance with this hire and blew it.

I think our AD grew up a lot with this hire. He was not prepared to let Stans go. He was very much so pressured by people to make the move.

Political Hack
12-14-2014, 12:53 PM
I think our AD grew up a lot with this hire. He was not prepared to let Stans go. He was very much so pressured by people to make the move.

some of which should've been fired for their own lack of performance.

Coach007
12-14-2014, 01:04 PM
It's like I said in the other thread. If he can not do it this season, he won't next. This is the worst the SEC, as a whole, has been in a very long time. Next year it won't be. Others have made moves to improve. UT made a great hire. Auburn hired Pearl who will have them competing this year. Arkansas is much improved. UK is UK, and NOW, A&M will be the beast of the west. LSU even hired a guy who in his 2nd season won 20 games and this year has a win over #16!

It's time.

Dawg61
12-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Who could Horatio get to play with Malik if he had 3-4 open spots?

Percho
12-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I am still praying for RR. We need a new approach.

Liverpooldawg
12-14-2014, 01:45 PM
So do y'all still think we can take our pick of the good young coaches out there?

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Bump

engie
12-17-2014, 08:55 PM
So do y'all still think we can take our pick of the good young coaches out there?

With SECNetwork money? Prettymuch. Gonna have to pay them $2.5-3mil though...

Raytoraid83
12-17-2014, 09:06 PM
With SECNetwork money? Prettymuch. Gonna have to pay them $2.5-3mil though...

And no pressure at all following these last three years. Should be able to make a pretty good hire.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
12-17-2014, 09:10 PM
And no pressure at all following these last three years. Should be able to make a pretty good hire.

Should being the key word. Stricklin will probably hire the number 2 assistant at Western Illinois. The good news is that there are about 150 candidates that would be better than Ray.

MaxedOutMaroon
12-17-2014, 09:11 PM
So can we bring back the next years prediction thread?