View Full Version : Leaking out now that Michigan is chasing Mullen and Mora Jr

Coach34
12-13-2014, 04:29 PM
interesting.

Aces High
12-13-2014, 04:31 PM
If he goes, ok.
If he stays, ok.

Sick of this shit every year. Just take your half million raise every year and stop being a little bitch.

Bucky Dog
12-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Yeah the CL just posted an article saying they were their top two candidates. I guess that's like if we were hiring we could say Saban and Meyer were our top two candidates!**

Dawgowar
12-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Somebody, for f-u-c-k sake, go get a shovel and dig up Bo Shitberger and just give the Maize and Blue fools what they really want.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Looks like Mullen is Michigan's 4th or 5th option. I don't see any reason he would go to Michigan under those circumstances, knowing they will just hire Harbaugh when they get the chance.

Also, why is SDS the only ones reporting this? ESPN has much better sources and are looking for this story

whosyourdawgy
12-13-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't buy it. Harbough is gonna be top of the list

Coach34
12-13-2014, 04:35 PM
I bet Urban is hoping it doesnt happen. He's had it way too easy at Ohio St so far

Coach34
12-13-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't buy it. Harbough is gonna be top of the list

Harbaugh has told them no 10 times already

Coach34
12-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Looks like Mullen is Michigan's 4th or 5th option. I don't see any reason he would go to Michigan under those circumstances, knowing they will just hire Harbaugh when they get the chance.

Also, why is SDS the only ones reporting this? ESPN has much better sources and are looking for this story

Football scoop reported it first

Liverpooldawg
12-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Saturday Down South is it? Well, we all know they don't have an agenda.******

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Football scoop reported it first

I just read it on Football Scoop. Seems like a lot of opinion rather than actual evidence. "Mullen may be attainable" "Hackett seemed most excited" etc.

Either way, I get sick of Dan's name coming out every year. I think it may have hurt him a little at MSU because recruits are always wondering if he'll leave. MSU has done everything he ever possibly want for him, and, if that's not good enough, than so be it.

That being said, Michigan is a cancer infested place that would find Dan's personality very abrasive if he didn't win big quickly

Coach34
12-13-2014, 04:44 PM
good coaches get their named mentioned alot. Beats having a Croom that nobody wants

engie
12-13-2014, 04:44 PM
No chance IMO. All from the Michigan perspective and they haven't even talked to him yet.

Mora is more likely than Mullen. In what way is Mullen any different than their RichRod experiment that they terminated a year early and let Hoke's dumb ass win a BCS bowl with the fruits of RR's labor...

maroonmania
12-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Well keep the bus to Lafayette warm just in case I guess.

CadaverDawg
12-13-2014, 04:46 PM
good coaches get their named mentioned alot. Beats having a Croom that nobody wants

This.

Give me this shit every single season....means we're doing something right.

Bothrops
12-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Michigan is a has-been program and that ain't changing, I don't care who they hire.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 04:48 PM
No chance IMO. All from the Michigan perspective and they haven't even talked to him yet.

Mora is more likely than Mullen. In what way is Mullen any different than their RichRod experiment that they terminated a year early and let Hoke's dumb ass win a BCS bowl with the fruits of RR's labor...

Agree Engie, if they are interested in Mullen, it's obvious he was way down their list and they have contacted him yet. It seems like they recently had an epiphany that Mullen was a good coach.

Curious, the Rousell's are connected to Ole Miss. Any chance this leaked out now due to JUCO signing day being next week, and Ole Miss wanted to cause Rankin some doubt?

I doubt it, but it seems like an incredibly vague article and one that Rousell could've been encouraged to write without anyone really being able to call his bluff, due to how vague and opinionated the article is

Bucky Dog
12-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Mullen isn't going to Michigan. This is more spin from Ole Miss trying to wreck our recruiting. Don't give it any more attention!

engie
12-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, it's caught like wildfire and was basically an opinion piece full of bullshit...

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Mullen isn't going to Michigan. This is more spin from Ole Miss trying to wreck our recruiting. Don't give it any more attention!

That's my thought as well. This is written by a Rousell and has no facts. Looks like Ole Miss is giving Rankin something to think about. I'm not sure I even believe this, but it seems plausible.

bulldawg28
12-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Get that raise Mullen! !!

ScottH
12-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Well keep the bus to Lafayette warm just in case I guess.

That bus stays warm.

Should be as easy a decision as Cohen.

Really Clark?
12-13-2014, 05:04 PM
This.

Give me this shit every single season....means we're doing something right.

Absolutely. You want a coach that is wanted at other places. Means he is successful.

Saltydog
12-13-2014, 05:05 PM
wheels are running off the cart in San Fran and I'm not sure they'll win another game. They're done. I think Harbaugh is ripe for the picking.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Here is the article.Holy vague, and impossible to prove wrong. Written by a Roussel So much opinion, unidentified sources, assumptions, etc... Really, if true, all I can gain from the article is that Michigan hasn't contacted Mullen and that he's probably their 5th or so option. Smells like Bear shit to me, hoping to sway Martinas Rankin.

Is it really easier to win a NC at Michigan? Bo Schembechler never won one at Michigan and it's a different era.

This is Dan's best team, but our recruiting is just now starting to improve. It's very easy to foresee Dan's best teams being in the future.

The Brady Hoke era officially came to a close on Tuesday December 2nd. As we come to the close of the 2nd week of the search for his successor, and as recruiting goes ?dead?, I reached out to some sources in Michigan and within the profession to attempt to update coaches as to where this search stands and is headed. Based on those discussions, this is where Michigan appears headed?

Most of the senior leadership within Michigan athletics and on their board of regents now understand that Jim Harbaugh is unlikely to come to Michigan and I am told Hackett has been told it will be acceptable to hire a ?college coach? before the end of the NFL season if he finds the one he is willing to stand behind.

Per sources, Hackett and his staff have discussed both Jim Mora and Dan Mullen with the Regents. Sources in Michigan that I have spoken with believe that if either Mora or Mullen were willing to come, then Hackett would support those hires.

Last year Jim Mora was offered the head coaching position at Texas and turned it down despite the fact that the offer was significantly more than $4 million per year. When that happened, I spoke with two sources very close to the situation and wrote about that. Mora turned down that opportunity because this simply wasn?t the right time for he and his family to leave California. Jim has four children, one who had just begun college out there, two in high school and one in junior high (at the time). They have just built a house, etc?the timing wasn?t right then to leave for another college job, and quite honestly, I don?t see that changing for this opportunity at Michigan. With that said, it would seem to be a substantial waste of resources for Michigan to pursue someone who they have no shot at, so clearly Michigan feels he is willing to consider the opportunity. Sources in Michigan told me, UM officials believe that Mora is frustrated with not being able to get UCLA to the top and think he might be willing to make a move to Michigan. The L.A. Times reports that Mora is making $3.25 million this season.

I spoke with sources in the past few days who are close and very familiar with Dan Mullen. Both sources said to me that with Dan, it?s not about being the highest paid coach in his state / conference/ whatever (which is more important to some coaches than many people understand), what drives Dan is his desire to win a national championship. Both sources explained to me how they felt Michigan would provide a potentially easier route to the college football playoffs; and hence the opportunity to win a national championship. Said one, ?This might have been Dan?s most talented team ever, and in a year when LSU, A&M and Arkansas were down, he still didn?t even win his division.? Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin stated quite a while back that they were hopeful to be able to reach an extension with Mullen; but that extension hasn?t been signed yet? When I asked sources familiar with Michigan?s search if they would characterize Mullen as a lead candidate, the response was ?I don?t know that Hackett felt that way last week; but it certainly seems like he considers him a very viable candidate now.? Mullen?s current salary is approximately $3 million under his current deal; it is unknown what Mississippi State?s new offer to Mullen is at this time in the proposed extension. Note that Hugh Freeze just signed an extension bringing his base salary up to $4.3 million for the upcoming season.

Sources in Michigan reminded me several times that these aren?t the only candidates that Michigan plans in person visits with this week (I was told earlier in the week they planned to meet with 10+ candidates); but they say Hackett seemed most excited / animated with speaking about Mora and Mullen.

Based on everything I?ve heard, I don?t think you can completely eliminate the possibility that Michigan will wait on an NFL coach; but it appears based on what they have heard back from coaches and their search advisors that Michigan is allotting their time in the coming week on successful college head coaches.

One name that I truly haven?t heard from sources in Michigan; but I continue to hear from coaches is Joe Moglia at Coastal Carolina. A number of coaches I have spoken with feel Moglia might just be the perfect coach to invest in Michigan football. What he has done in his short time at Coastal has been awfully impressive. Will be interesting to see if the search firm suggests the same to Hackett.

As always, we?ll keep you posted as things become more clear on The Scoop.

Dawgowar
12-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Okay, good response to Michigan fan on ESPN Big Ten blog -

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Dave in Ohio writes: OK. Gary Andersen left Wisconsin for OSU (not the one we know). He's a western guy. I was more surprised when he took the UW job than I am that he left. The bigger question, to me, is how much longer can Michigan wait to find its new coach? The clock continues to tick, and the longer it waits, the more it looks like another Brady Hoke-type hire.

Dan Murphy: The longer Michigan waits, the more optimistic its fans should be. Interim athletic director Jim Hackett has been on the job for little more than a month; his patience is prudent. Michigan is (and should be) willing to wait for Jim Harbaugh or Les Miles. The school won’t wait if both men have turned the job down through back channels. So, while there’s a chance they’ve already said “no thanks” and the Wolverines are now desperately seeking a Plan B hire, it's more likely that the Wolverines are biding their time and vetting backup plans in case the top choices don’t work out.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 05:14 PM
I think it's funny how the article is titled, "Michigan Wants Mullen". Is there anything in that article that says "Michigan Wants Mullen"?

Dan is way to arrogant to be someone's 5th option

Coach34
12-13-2014, 05:18 PM
wheels are running off the cart in San Fran and I'm not sure they'll win another game. They're done. I think Harbaugh is ripe for the picking.

Harbaugh wants to stay in the NFL- reports are the Jets are hard after Harbaugh. He's not going to Michigan

codeDawg
12-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Michigan Scout says Haraugh, Miles, Adazzio or Sean Payton. No mention of Mullen.

http://michigan.scout.com/story/1491324-four-frontrunners-for-michigan-job?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=Front%20Runners%20For%20Michigan%20Job&utm_campaign=NCAAFB%20Marketing

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Michigan Scout says Haraugh, Miles, or Mora. No mention of Mullen.

http://michigan.scout.com/story/1491324-four-frontrunners-for-michigan-job?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=Front%20Runners%20For%20Michigan%20Job&utm_campaign=NCAAFB%20Marketing

Yup, the article was written by a Roussel, with no facts, and is probably complete Bear shit for recruiting purposes. Nothing more

Coach34
12-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Les Miles needs to take the job. He would be what they want- and LSU would get what they want

DownwardDawg
12-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Lol. No way Mullen would leave a job at a top 5 football program in the nation to go coach at Michigan. Hahahahahahaha!!!! What a dubmass article. Hey, maybe he should interview for the Houston job too!

I seen it dawg
12-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Michigan Scout says Haraugh, Miles, Adazzio or Sean Payton. No mention of Mullen.

And Gruden, Dungy, Walsh, Lombardi.....

Dawgowar
12-13-2014, 06:08 PM
And Gruden, Dungy, Walsh, Lombardi.....

Does Michigan have a version of Old Waverly? Maybe a kick-ass indoor putt-putt?

Todd4State
12-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Sean Payton? LOL.

Political Hack
12-13-2014, 06:33 PM
wow. this may be as entertaining as watching Ole Miss hire coaches. Gruden yall!***

dawgoneyall
12-13-2014, 06:36 PM
If Mullen watched the Ms-Ala all star game and leaves then we got rid of a fool.

I seen it dawg
12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, and Tressell express interest. Noll,Rockne, Bryant and Landry remove names from consideration.

Dawgcentral
12-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Michigan can offer nothing other than tradition. There's a reason why no one wants to deal with the old school donors up there. Anyone wonder why Rich Rod is having success in AZ and was a complete flop in Michigan?

Dan wants enthusiasm. Switch channels between a home game at Michigan and any SEC west contest and you'll have to adjust the volume on the TV. We can, and we will,..pay Dan very well. I'm not in the least bit concerned that he'd take the job up there. Who the hell wants to live in Michigan anyway? Isn't the entire ordeal about quality of life?

Todd4State
12-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Michigan can offer nothing other than tradition. There's a reason why no one wants to deal with the old school donors up there. Anyone wonder why Rich Rod is having success in AZ and was a complete flop in Michigan?

Dan wants enthusiasm. Switch channels between a home game at Michigan and any SEC west contest and you'll have to adjust the volume on the TV. We can, and we will,..pay Dan very well. I'm not in the least bit concerned that he'd take the job up there. Who the hell wants to live in Michigan anyway? Isn't the entire ordeal about quality of life?

I can't imagine that there is a ton of talent in Michigan either.

ckDOG
12-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Objectively, Michigan is a step down from Mississippi State. Money, facilities, weather, fertile recruiting, patient and realistic fan base. We have all you need. Only reason to coach at Michigan is to fulfill a childhood dream bc tradition is the only thing they can clearly beat us at.

I seen it dawg
12-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Holmgren, Schottenheimer, Switzer seen in Ann Arbor looking at real estate.

Dawgowar
12-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Don Shula

IMissJack
12-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Objectively, Michigan is a step down from Mississippi State. Money, facilities, weather, fertile recruiting, patient and realistic fan base. We have all you need. Only reason to coach at Michigan is to fulfill a childhood dream bc tradition is the only thing they can clearly beat us at.

You don't think Michigan has more money than MSU? wow

DLGDawg
12-13-2014, 07:16 PM
The 247 Michigan site has removed Mullen from their list.
From the bottom of the article/list

"Names Added: Steve Addazio, Boston College

Names Removed: Bret Bielema, Arkansas; David Shaw, Stanford; Dan Mullen, Mississippi State"

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/VIP-Hot-Board-Michigan-Coaching-Search-33830112

BulldogDX55
12-13-2014, 07:31 PM
I hear that John Heisman is going to come out of a long retirement just to coach Michigan, citing that he could reign in the boosters because they are equally corpselike***

Dawgowar
12-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Al Pacino will be Head Coach with Denzel Washington bringing his five veer plays. Word is Rick Moranis will bring his daughter Becky to be MLB while he DC's.

DawgPoundRock
12-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Al Pacino will be Head Coach with Denzel Washington bringing his five veer plays. Word is Rick Moranis will bring his daughter Becky to be MLB while he DC's.

Word is "The Icebox" is their top recruit

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 07:42 PM
If Mullen watched the Ms-Ala all star game and leaves then we got rid of a fool.

This is pretty much my thoughts as well.

With what I saw on the field today in the MS/AL all-star game, with the right QB, MSU is close to, if not a, top 10 program. We won't be the favorites to win the SEC West or NC, but we will be in the hunt.

Outside of Alabama and sometimes LSU, every other team needs the right QB, and luckily for us, this is Mullen's specialty.

There is no reason for him to leave. He's closer to winning big at MSU

msstate7
12-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Doesn't Jim tressel's show cause come off next year? If so, I would've given hoke another year while lining things up with tressel

Dawgowar
12-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Several members of the TSUN community state they want to flip her. Run Becky! Ruuuuuun!

Coach34
12-13-2014, 07:50 PM
You don't think Michigan has more money than MSU? wow

You do realize Mullen made more than Brady Hoke dont ya?

Saltydog
12-13-2014, 07:53 PM
someone personally just in general. I think they'll go after Gundy.

Coach34
12-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Mullen's name is actually quite popular amongst the LSU faithful

MabenMaroon
12-13-2014, 08:08 PM
This is pretty much my thoughts as well.

With what I saw on the field today in the MS/AL all-star game, with the right QB, MSU is close to, if not a, top 10 program. We won't be the favorites to win the SEC West or NC, but we will be in the hunt.

Outside of Alabama and sometimes LSU, every other team needs the right QB, and luckily for us, this is Mullen's specialty.

There is no reason for him to leave. He's closer to winning big at MSU
Can we say Nick Fitzgerald, Elijah Staley and Nick Tiano, outstanding odds that one of those three becomes the next Dak or beyond.

Alldawg
12-13-2014, 08:50 PM
You do realize Mullen made more than Brady Hoke dont ya?

I agree with you most of the time, but what the hell does that have to do with it. I will agree that currently MSU is a better job than Michigan, but there is no way Michigan does not have more money.

Aces High
12-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Gold

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Can we say Nick Fitzgerald, Elijah Staley and Nick Tiano, outstanding odds that one of those three becomes the next Dak or beyond.

We don't know. I know that all these guy will be compared to Dak, but it's important that we allow them to be themselves.

From a talent standpoint, I think Fitz and Staley are right there with Dak and both are bigger, but Dak bring a leadership element that's really hard to ask either of these guys to fulfill. However, yes, I think the talent level is there to replace Dak.

As for Michigan, if Dan is their 5th choice, then they aren't going to back up a dump truck full of money to get him. My guess is that the would offer Dan somewhere in the neighborhood of what he makes now. If he was their first choice, then I would think differently.

Coach34
12-13-2014, 09:24 PM
I agree with you most of the time, but what the hell does that have to do with it. I will agree that currently MSU is a better job than Michigan, but there is no way Michigan does not have more money.

Hey Reb- go back to drycleaners in Meridian and let us Bulldogs talk please....State will spend as much on a football coach as Michigan will if it has to.

Coach34
12-13-2014, 09:26 PM
I just dont see it happening personally.

Big Ten football sux
Michigan is not flooded with talent- his driving and flying time would increase dramatically
It's cold as the Antarctic there
It's not the SEC

Saltydog
12-13-2014, 09:33 PM
and a lot of the metropolitan areas are ghosts of what they were just a few years back...........With the advent of automotive manufacturing moving south it will continue........