PDA

View Full Version : Dak files lawsuit against T Shirt maker

Bucky Dog
12-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Read article in C-L that says Dak had to file a lawsuit against a guy who made the Dak Dynasty and Dak Atrack t shirts for using his likeness without his consent for profit. It states his lawyer file numerous cease desist orders which were ignored by the vendor.
What gets me is it says that Dak HAD to file a lawsuit against this guy or his eligibility would come into question! WTF?

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2014, 08:35 AM
I don't know if you have to file a lawsuit specifically, but you have to take action to stop the profit from your likeness. Whatever that means.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Here is a good article explaining why Dak HAD to do it.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/mississippi-state-qb-is-suing-over-t-shirts-to-avoid-crazy-ncaa-violation

If a student-athlete’s name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete’s knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.

starkvegasdawg
12-12-2014, 09:32 AM
So did Cam sue his dad for profiting over selling him to the highest bidder? You know, since it was supposedly without his knowledge and all.

Political Hack
12-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Here is a good article explaining why Dak HAD to do it.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/mississippi-state-qb-is-suing-over-t-shirts-to-avoid-crazy-ncaa-violation

If a student-athlete’s name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete’s knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.

How the hell can the NCAA FORCE someone to sue someone else? That's garbage. They are such a joke of an club. And that's all they are... "a club." They have no legal authority. They do not enact laws. They are a voluntary organization that the universities have granted permission to govern them collectively. I laugh every time I see someone say "legal" or "illegal" when talking about the NCAA. I hope the t-shirt maker sues the crap out of the ncaa for "forcing" a student-athlete to sue him. Surely they can find a good angle to hammer them, especially if the case is thrown out or he wins.

Also, how the hell can a club publicly announce that you broke a club rule when you never joined the club or agreed to follow their rules? I can't tell you how many good lawyers are foaming at the mouth to HAMMER them over this... especially when they publish wildly inaccurate "facts" about people.

Their window of relevancy is dwindling quickly and I'll celebrate with joy when they can no longer persecute student-athletes.

Dawg496
12-12-2014, 11:19 AM
How the hell can the NCAA FORCE someone to sue someone else? That's garbage. They are such a joke of an club. And that's all they are... "a club." They have no legal authority. They do not enact laws. They are a voluntary organization that the universities have granted permission to govern them collectively. I laugh every time I see someone say "legal" or "illegal" when talking about the NCAA. I hope the t-shirt maker sues the crap out of the ncaa for "forcing" a student-athlete to sue him. Surely they can find a good angle to hammer them, especially if the case is thrown out or he wins.

Also, how the hell can a club publicly announce that you broke a club rule when you never joined the club or agreed to follow their rules? I can't tell you how many good lawyers are foaming at the mouth to HAMMER them over this... especially when they publish wildly inaccurate "facts" about people.

Their window of relevancy is dwindling quickly and I'll celebrate with joy when they can no longer persecute student-athletes.

I seriously doubt that every student-athlete takes these ridiculous steps to protect their amateur status. Surely these kinds of things happen all across the country, and much more so at larger schools.

This has Bracky/Stricklin written all over it. With that said, hopefully this means Dak is returning.

dawgpound
12-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Suing people and wearing bow ties, he sounds more like an Ole Miss Quarterback haha
just kidding

DudyDawg
12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
I seriously doubt that every student-athlete takes these ridiculous steps to protect their amateur status. Surely these kinds of things happen all across the country, and much more so at larger schools.

This has Bracky/Stricklin written all over it. With that said, hopefully this means Dak is returning.

That's what I thought too. If he was leaving he would partner up and make some money not sue him.

It's pretty ridiculous that a kid "has" to sue. So he can't make money off anything, but he has to spend money on lawyers to keep the right to pay for free?? How is the ncaa still alive. It's insanity

drunkernhelldawg
12-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Those SOB's need to be sued. They're effen thieves.

Todd4State
12-12-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm glad that our athletic dept. is being proactive on this before some Ole Miss fans report it to the NCAA and make Dak ineligible for next year because some guy made some stupid t-shirts.

Dawg496
12-12-2014, 05:42 PM
That's what I thought too. If he was leaving he would partner up and make some money not sue him.

It's pretty ridiculous that a kid "has" to sue. So he can't make money off anything, but he has to spend money on lawyers to keep the right to pay for free?? How is the ncaa still alive. It's insanity

The NCAA actually has a fund setup for student-athletes to use to acquire legal representation in case of situations like this.

CadaverDawg
12-12-2014, 06:09 PM
The NCAA actually has a fund setup for student-athletes to use to acquire legal representation in case of situations like this.

They probably built that fund with money they received off of #15 MSU jerseys and the like sold in the book stores around NCAA campuses.*

Bucky Dog
12-12-2014, 08:29 PM
They probably built that fund with money they received off of #15 MSU jerseys and the like sold in the book stores around NCAA campuses.*

Yeah I agree the NCAA is just protecting its piece of the pie and putting the onus on the athlete. Ridiculous!