PDA

View Full Version : This post reminded me of a discussion I had the other day

Coach34
12-10-2014, 06:50 PM
with a good friend of mine:

by SheltonChoked

Star's matter. Especially in huge markets/ and or high profile teams. If we have a rated guy from MC, Prep, a big Memphis school, a Houston, TX school, etc., he's got the ability to play early. If he's got his head on straight, probably play well too.

Where Dan has made his hay is the small town, out of position athlete. There, stars are not worth the electrons.

The NFL hall of fame has 8 people born in Mississippi in it. Here's the list:

Lem Barney - Gulfport JSU Pre-integration
Willie Brown - Yazoo City Grambling Pre-integration
Frank (Bruiser) Kinard - Pelahatchie Ole Miss Pre-integration
Walter Payton - Columbia JSU Pre-integration
Jerry Rice - Starkville Valley HUGE MISS
Billy Shaw - Natchez GA Tech Pre-integration
Jackie Slater - Jackson JSU
Jackie Smith - Columbia Pre-integration

Only three of these guys are from arguably large towns in Mississippi. And I'd bet Dan would have been on all of them if they were around now. Would they have signed with MSU, maybe, maybe not. This staff has proven to me that they have an eye for what talent can be.

My buddy and I were talking about the dominance of the SEC and how it has seemingly coincided with the drop of the SWAC. 20 years ago, the SWAC had alot of draft picks each year and some talented guys. Now it would probably have trouble winning in Mississippi's juco league. I think the South is slowly doing a better job of getting its good athletes at least enough education to qualify for a decent school. You arent seeing anymore Jerry Rice's or Steve McNair's playing at Alcorn or Valley. The SEC is no longer sharing its incredible talent.

1bigdawg
12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;304467]Walter Payton - Columbia JSU Pre-integration

Meaningless technical correction: Payton graduated high school in '71 in the first year of integration.

Your point is absolutely correct.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2014, 07:10 PM
SheltonChoked is dead on, and it is why I refuse to get worked up about Dan's recruiting. Shelton and I were at State when McNair was going for for the career passing record and they were showing Alcorn games on ESPN. All we could say was "how did we miss this guy too".

Mjoelner34
12-10-2014, 07:49 PM
SheltonChoked is dead on, and it is why I refuse to get worked up about Dan's recruiting. Shelton and I were at State when McNair was going for for the career passing record and they were showing Alcorn games on ESPN. All we could say was "how did we miss this guy too".

Because like everybody else besides Alcorn, we wanted him as a DB instead of a QB. Not sure about his grades but I do know Alcorn was the only school that offered him QB.

LC Dawg
12-10-2014, 07:49 PM
And the next NFL hall of famer from Mississippi is a quarterback from a small town who barely threw the ball in high school and also got past all the big programs.

Dallas_Dawg
12-10-2014, 08:30 PM
And the next NFL hall of famer from Mississippi is a quarterback from a small town who barely threw the ball in high school and also got past all the big programs.

Who?

tcdog70
12-10-2014, 08:52 PM
BF

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 10:04 PM
I totally agree with Coach and Shelton on this. Integration killed the SWAC- much like integration in MLB killed the Negro Leagues.

I love the SWAC and it's one of the most fun football leagues in America, but the quality of football is pretty bad.

There are always going to be underrated players in Mississippi from small towns. The recruiting services pander to their customers- and then try to pass it off as "we're right". If Jameon Lewis and Tobias Singleton had switched high schools, I guarantee you that their recruiting processes would have also switched as well.