PDA

View Full Version : How will our DB's handle GT's triple option?

blacklistedbully
12-10-2014, 06:12 PM
I believe our D-linemen and LB's will be terrific with the time they have to prep. The one concern I have is how well our DB's will adapt, particularly with regard to play-action pass.

It just seems to me we've had numerous communication breakdowns in the secondary, and multiple cases where CB's thought they were getting help when they weren't, etc. Given that the flexbone is particularly challenging for DB's and relies so heavily on, not only the CB reading the WR, but communicating with the Safety so that they know when to switch up assignments, I worry this could be a real Achilles Heel for us.

I have visions of GT's #1 WR going inside on a "crack-block" move, our CB stepping up to cover the pitch man, but our Safety also stepping up for the pitch, at least enough to leave the WR wide open on a post, corner or banana route.

Anybody care to talk me back from the edge?

DudyDawg
12-10-2014, 07:08 PM
I think their best receiver is out for the game. If I'm not mistaken

blacklistedbully
12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I think their best receiver is out for the game. If I'm not mistaken

To me, it's less about their talent at WR and more about our DB's propensity to blow coverage/assignments. They'll have to think more in this game, recognize subtle differences, communicate well between CB & Safety and be completely in-sync.

DownwardDawg
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
I believe our D-linemen and LB's will be terrific with the time they have to prep. The one concern I have is how well our DB's will adapt, particularly with regard to play-action pass.

It just seems to me we've had numerous communication breakdowns in the secondary, and multiple cases where CB's thought they were getting help when they weren't, etc. Given that the flexbone is particularly challenging for DB's and relies so heavily on, not only the CB reading the WR, but communicating with the Safety so that they know when to switch up assignments, I worry this could be a real Achilles Heel for us.

I have visions of GT's #1 WR going inside on a "crack-block" move, our CB stepping up to cover the pitch man, but our Safety also stepping up for the pitch, at least enough to leave the WR wide open on a post, corner or banana route.

Anybody care to talk me back from the edge?

Their QB would miss the throw. Don't worry.

msstate7
12-10-2014, 07:18 PM
They better hit a lot of long passes bc we're scoring 40+

BeardoMSU
12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen anything this season to not expect this.....

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1237856973-burnttoast.jpg

DanDority
12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
To me, it's less about their talent at WR and more about our DB's propensity to blow coverage/assignments. They'll have to think more in this game, recognize subtle differences, communicate well between CB & Safety and be completely in-sync.

And do there best not to not let the running game lull them to sleep, and then get burnt with the deep ball.

Dawg61
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
We'll handle it a lot like you'd handle a night with Alexandra Daddario. A lot of laying down and looking from behind.

BeardoMSU
12-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Alexandra Daddario

Whats the good of having cake....if you can't eat it?