PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to live in NOLA?

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I am taking a job in Metarie for some reference and I would like to be fairly close to work but also not in an unsafe area.

Political Hack
12-14-2014, 07:18 AM
9th ward

Political Hack
12-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Metarie is actually pretty cool by the lake.

congrats on the gig man. hate that you'll be further away from the land of milk & honey but new jobs are always exciting.

BeastMan
12-14-2014, 11:33 AM
My brother lives in uptown and the other brother in midtown. Uptown on or right off St. Charles is more my speed. Midtown is much more artsy. When my dad worked in Nola my family lived in Diamondhead.

Political Hack
12-14-2014, 04:27 PM
My brother lives in uptown and the other brother in midtown. Uptown on or right off St. Charles is more my speed. Midtown is much more artsy. When my dad worked in Nola my family lived in Diamondhead.

diamondhead really isn't a bad drive if you work in the city. All interstate and traffic moves pretty good unless something happens on the bridge. much nicer homes for the price too.

DownwardDawg
12-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Covington or Mandeville. It's well worth the drive.

Todd4State
12-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The interesting thing is I have had a lot of people tell me about a lot of different places, which to me is good in that there are advantages and probably disadvantages everywhere as well.

How long would it take to get to Metarie from Covington in the morning?

Todd4State
12-15-2014, 12:27 AM

I never really even considered Mississippi. But it sounds like it's doable.

Can you give me an idea of what is midtown and what is uptown? Uptown sounds like the Garden District?

Todd4State
12-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Metarie is actually pretty cool by the lake.

congrats on the gig man. hate that you'll be further away from the land of milk & honey but new jobs are always exciting.

Thanks! This is sort of a dream job for me. I may be horribly mistaken in my plans as far as MSU football, but I'm considering staying in Jackson on football weekends. It will give me an opportunity to see my friends in Jackson and then Starkville as well. I'll at least try it next year and see how it goes.

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Covington or Mandeville. It's well worth the drive.

both are nice and good suggestions. We have good friends that live in Mandeville and family that lives in both.

Covercorner2
12-16-2014, 04:11 PM
1. Uptown/Riverbend- Pretty much anywhere in that area south of Clairborne and west of Louisiana, but no TOO close to Tchoupitoulas. Probably the oldest, nicest, old-money area of NO. Think Tulane, St Charles Ave, Audubon Park, Magazine Street, etc.

2. Lakeview- a "newer" area since it flooded badly during Katrina and most everything has been rebuilt. A good place to find more bang for your buck than uptown which makes it an easier place for younger professionals to live. It's pretty much in between Midcity and Metairie. I like it better than Midcity...

3. Covington or Mandeville if you can stomach the commute. I have buddies that live over there and work in Metairie. They say if you time it right you can get to work in 25 minutes, but if you miss time it it's more like 45 minutes. I am thinking about moving out here when I start a family/get into my mid-30s if that gives you an idea...

4. Warehouse District- In between the Garden District/Uptown and the CBD (Central Business District) and the Quarter. A more urban/modern area consisting of a lot of old warehouses turned into apartments. If you like the city life without a yard and a kick ass apartment close to everything this may be your spot...

DownwardDawg
12-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The interesting thing is I have had a lot of people tell me about a lot of different places, which to me is good in that there are advantages and probably disadvantages everywhere as well.

How long would it take to get to Metarie from Covington in the morning?

It depends on what time of the morning really. It's about a 30 minute drive the best I can remember but that's before rush traffic. It'll take over an hour if you leave to go home around 4:00 - 5:00. Still, really nice places. I work for one of the major oil companies and this is where most of my co workers live that are local to the New Orleans area.

Where'sWaldo
12-17-2014, 11:18 AM
http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/maps.html

This should help outline where the areas are the have been discussed. I live in the uptown/carrolton are a few blocks away from Audobon park and really enjoy it. I commute all the way out to the airport and can get there in less than 25 minutes.

Robert Pooner
12-18-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www.nola.gov/nopd/crime-data/crime-maps/

I would use this too. Gives you an idea of the crimes that occurred in the area you are looking at.

FlabLoser
12-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Uptown is a cool area. Its a lot like Belhaven. Older, but cooler in a classic kind of a way. And crime a block away. I'm not sure where I'd live in the NOLA area.

Here's another map.

http://i.imgur.com/pjjNyP0.jpg

TaleofTwoDogs
01-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Flab's map is pretty damn accurate. I lived in Metairie back in the 80's so my info is dated but there are some nice areas in "Metry". I would start looking there and expand your search across the bridge. Metairie has shopping, bars, and restaurants. The garden district near Tulane & Loyola are nice but an older demographic.