PDA

View Full Version : Kelly

dawgpound
12-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Chad Kelly officially committed to TSUN via his twitter a few minutes ago. not that we didnt all see this coming

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Riley Blevins is so full of crap. They beat out Indiana

Riley Blevins ‏@Riley_Blevins 28s28 seconds ago
Huge pick up for OM. The thing that stuck out to me most when watching Kelly in nat'l champ game was his mobility: great pocket awareness.

msstate7
12-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Riley Blevins is so full of crap. They beat out Indiana

Riley Blevins ‏@Riley_Blevins 28s28 seconds ago
Huge pick up for OM. The thing that stuck out to me most when watching Kelly in nat'l champ game was his mobility: great pocket awareness.

Who did they say OM beat for him?

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Who did they say OM beat for him?

Indiana. And unlike Bo Wallace, he only has two years to play and has no previous experience in Freeze's offense. Plus, he has more publicized character issues.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Indiana. And unlike Bo Wallace, he only has two years to play and has no previous experience in Freeze's offense. Plus, he has more publicized character issues.

Not only was he kicked off of the Clemson football team he was also kicked off of a high school team as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 04:58 PM
While I hate using stats to evaluate QBs, since Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly both played at EMCC, under the same coaches, in the same offense, with a similar caliber of team, I think we may be able to learn something from comparing their stats at EMCC.

Both guys played 12 games

Bo - 336/502 for a 69.7 completion%. 4,604 yards w 53 TD & 14 INTs. 206 yards rushing. 13.7 YP Completion

Kelly - 304/454 for a 67% completion%. 3,905 yards w 47 TDs & 8 TDs. 446 rushing yards. 12.8 YP Completion

By looking at the stats, you may be able to infer that Wallace is a little more of a gunslinger, and, due to that, throws for more yards and TDs, but also turns the ball over more. Kelly on the other hand, seems to be much more effective with his legs.

Now, the other big difference is that Bo Wallace went to Ole Miss having already played in Freeze's offense. I have no idea how much that helped in his first season, but one would have to think, it helped a little and allowed him to play faster.

DawgHouseUnited
12-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Not only was he kicked off of the Clemson football team he was also kicked off of a high school team as well.

Perfect candidate for some of the Rev's heppin...

HancockCountyDog
12-10-2014, 04:59 PM

He may be the next OJ Simpson but I watched his highlights on sun herald website and he has more talent that Bo Dirt had. Much bigger arm and clearly faster .

Now I think there is a 50/50 chance he goes full Spreewell on Pastor Freeze .

TrapGame
12-10-2014, 05:00 PM

But I heard he was quite proficient at throwing bubble screens.

dawgpound
12-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I did see that the backup at EMCC is committed to Oklahoma State too

CadaverDawg
12-10-2014, 05:03 PM
He may be the next OJ Simpson but I watched his highlights on sun herald website and he has more talent that Bo Dirt had. Much bigger arm and clearly faster .

Stephens said he didn't have Bo's arm strength. I haven't watched the film, but it's interesting you mentioned that.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 05:04 PM

I'd hold off on saying he has a better arm. He is more mobile than Bo, but is also much smaller and shorter. Bo is also more aggressive than him by looking at the stats.

I think he's a good commit for them because they had to have a QB due to poor development and poor evaluation

HancockCountyDog
12-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Stephens said he didn't have Bo's arm strength. I haven't watched the film, but it's interesting you mentioned that.

Kelly seemed to have more zip, Bo threw rainbows in my opinion. Kelly was throwing darts in the highlights that I saw, but I would defer to Stephens. If he says Bo's arm was stronger the bears are ****ed.

HancockCountyDog
12-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I'd hold off on saying he has a better arm. He is more mobile than Bo, but is also much smaller and shorter. Bo is also more aggressive than him by looking at the stats.

I think he's a good commit for them because they had to have a QB due to poor development and poor evaluation

Let me add, if Dak has a monster bowl game and has a change of heart and wants to go pro, I would hope we would sign a juco QB. Going to war next year with Damien Williams and Fitzgerald is not something I want.

quickstrike2
12-10-2014, 05:13 PM
I think he is a really good talent and is going to an offense with some weapons. He prolly has a higher upside than Bo, but Bo did take chances and did get rewarded from time to time. Obviously his chances also were some mistakes as well. I think the thing is, Kelly will come in and be the starter immediately and has the opportunity to look really good. The kicker is, that this will be SEC football and without question the biggest jump from high school/juco over any other conference. Combine that with next year being the bear's year, there will be a lot of pressure on the first year starter.

Unless they do win the Braxton Miller sweepstakes, then its a totally different scenario.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Let me add, if Dak has a monster bowl game and has a change of heart and wants to go pro, I would hope we would sign a juco QB. Going to war next year with Damien Williams and Fitzgerald is not something I want.

This is why it's so important IMO for Fitzgerald or Staley to win the backup job during Spring Training and Fall practice, and then get the opportunity to play a reasonable amount of snaps next fall. I don't want to be in this position. It's hard to win big with JUCO QBs in their first year, simply because they don't have the in-& out knowledge of the offense.

Johnson85
12-10-2014, 05:25 PM

I doubt we could go find a JUCO qb at this point that would be a significant upgrade over Williams and Fitzgerald. Hopefully if Dak announced he was leaving Staley would immediately come back to football. Not sure if he will be an upgrade over the other two we will just need to maximize our options.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Apparently, Dick Cross is on H2H saying that Kelly's problems at Clemson were due to him not being on the correct ADHD medicine.

These people never cease to amaze me. The world keeps moving forward, yet they stay the same.

EAVdog
12-10-2014, 05:33 PM
It's a great move in the short term for Ole Miss. Long term, who knows. Can't imagine Kincaide sticking around. Or even Kendrick Doss. I think this is a road that once you start down you have to accept you're getting JUCO qb's from now on. Malzahn doesn't seem to mind it.

engie
12-10-2014, 05:50 PM
I did see that the backup at EMCC is committed to Oklahoma State too

Todd Mays -- as an Athlete...

bulldawg28
12-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Is this guy enrolling early?

BeardoMSU
12-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Apparently, Dick Cross is on H2H saying that Kelly's problems at Clemson were due to him not being on the correct ADHD medicine.

You are shitting me?! Did he really say that?

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Is this guy enrolling early?

I don't know for sure, but since he was a qualifier out of high school, I believe the answer is undoubtedly Yes

BeardoMSU
12-10-2014, 06:17 PM
This may go against the preferred mantra, but I'm not thrilled about this. The dude has got talent. They return a lot of weapons next year, and having the ability to plug in a talented QB really makes them dangerous - at least as good as they were this year, if the pieces really fall into place. I'm not saying that will happen, but I would much prefer DK or Preppy slangin' the ball for them next year than some hired gun.....unless that hired gun is a "team obliterater" and embarrassment for their program (as long as they lose games in the process, obviously...).

I bet the QB's on roster feel great right now. I'm sure the Rev just told DK he'll make a badass DE in the 4-3 (hello NFL scouts!!!!), and Buchanan is their next All American long-snapper.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
This may go against the preferred mantra, but I'm not thrilled about this. The dude has got talent. They return a lot of weapons next year, and having the ability to plug in a talented QB really makes them dangerous - at least as good as they were this year, if the pieces really fall into place. I'm not saying that will happen, but I would much prefer DK or Preppy slangin' the ball for them next year than some hired gun.....unless that hired gun is a "team obliterater" and embarrassment for their program (as long as they lose games in the process, obviously...).

I bet the QB's on roster feel great right now. I'm sure the Rev just told DK he'll make a badass DE in the 4-3 (hello NFL scouts!!!!), and Buchanan is their next All American long-snapper.

I think it's a major stretch to believe they will be "just as good as this year" when they are replacing a 3 year starter at QB, who had previous experience in the offense, with a JUCO guy that has never played in the SEC and has no previous experience in Freeze's offense. If fact, I'd say it's absurd to believe that

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Judging by the initial media reaction; Get ready for the Rebel hype machine. Apparently this kid, with only a Indiana offer, is the best thing since sliced bread. They are already talking playoffs.

messageboardsuperhero
12-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Apparently he can't wait to be a "rebal." https://twitter.com/MeetMeAtTapps/status/542804244328640513

DudyDawg
12-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Apparently he can't wait to be a "rebal." https://twitter.com/MeetMeAtTapps/status/542804244328640513

Haha. What a dumbass

TheRef
12-10-2014, 07:36 PM

This...is....glorious

BeardoMSU
12-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Spelling isn't a priority at Seminary****

BeardoMSU
12-10-2014, 08:03 PM
I think it's a major stretch to believe they will be "just as good as this year" when they are replacing a 3 year starter at QB, who had previous experience in the offense, with a JUCO guy that has never played in the SEC and has no previous experience in Freeze's offense. If fact, I'd say it's absurd to believe that

I somewhat misspoke/wasn't clear. What I meant was that OM is a good QB away from being really good next year. If they can plug in a guy who can match or exceed what Bo did, they'll be dangerous. Again, as I said....that is a big if, but we've seen crazier things. Not saying this guy is a world beater or anything, but he is talented. We'll see, I guess.

rrog17
12-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Wonder what CJ thinks about his spelling?

TheRef
12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Wonder what CJ thinks about his spelling?

Well it's okay...It can't be as bad as RK thinking he's going to the University of Ole Miss

Chip
12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
In reality, I'm told they are very concerned about his stability. Their coaching staff was sufficiently warned that he is all over the place. The problem for them is that Buchanan apparently isn't talented enough to handle the job, and neither is Kincade (who won't be back, btw). They're thinking that the ups and downs of good Bo, bad Bo may be much worse swings.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Looks like we have another Jerrell Powe on our hands. Something tells me this guy will be a blast to make fun of for the next two years.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_0C7R5zWimZM/SEN9sb0T1II/AAAAAAAAANE/wcedtgsCjEI/s320/PoweCrayon.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxnvxcyzHi6bTqSeTo3atcWBnJhhN9k pKANPlZRHmHn9jHPX_EhQ

Coach 57
12-10-2014, 10:00 PM
You people need to settle down. Mark my words unless something happens in the offseason Fitz or Staley will be the backup for Dak next year. Fitz was pushing DW this offseason for the job as a early enrollee true freshman. This kid is gonna be THE guy and if he doesn't Staley ain't waiting on the Fitzgerald coronation either. DW is really gonna be pushed VERY hard in the offseason.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 10:06 PM
This guy has whacked out Marshall Henderson written all over him. Check out this video and let me know if you understand what he is talking about. Also let me know if he has the presence of someone that can handle Bryant Denny stadium and Davis Wade next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYj4JxlJM8#t=37

Chip
12-10-2014, 10:17 PM
It's going to be a roller coaster and major team distraction. But Freeze doesn't have a serviceable QB otherwise.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 10:20 PM

I agree with you on this. Now Kelly may be very unstable and do something crazy- but he also might not. And I personally based on what I have seen think that he is better than Bo. Wallace is not very good though- his completion percentage was awful against us and the only reason he had any success was because we have JUCO caliber safeties and the fact that we played straight up zone the entire game.

That said, I think Ole Miss probably won't be as good on defense next year, so it probably comes out in the wash.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 10:22 PM
It's going to be a roller coaster and major team distraction. But Freeze doesn't have a serviceable QB otherwise.

Yeah- they're kind of in a pickle. I'm assuming they can't find anyone else either on the JUCO circuit.

Drugdog
12-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I've been more coherent after attending a Pike and Phi Mu swap than that.