PDA

View Full Version : New JUCO QB on OM's radar

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Out of Bounds ‏@bobounds 4m4 minutes ago
Another name to keep an eye on. Jake Hubenak, Blinn QB, some of the #OleMiss staff watched him work out yesterday.

This guy's only offer is Prairie View: http://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Hubenak-77430

Looks like panic may be setting in. Not sure why they would be looking at this guy if Kelly was a shoe in.

This was a good conversation on Bo Bounds this morning, and, with the talent Ole Miss has returning next season, they should ABSOLUTELY be recruiting a JUCO QB if they don't believe Buchanan or Kincade can do the job. I don't see this as the debate.

However, that does bring to light a possible greater problem: How did Ole Miss recruit 2 4 star high school QBs and now neither one of them can play? Is it bad development or poor evaluation? And they just invested 4.5 mil in a coach that hasn't proven he can scout or develop a QB. Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Does Bucky know how to fish for QBs or is his entire career going to be successful or unsuccessful based on how well Buddy Stevens develops QBs?

Is Ole Miss' offense a plug and play system? Obviously not, if two 4 star QBs can't run it after over 2 years of development.

Even if Chad Kelly or this guy end up winning the Heisman, there has to be some concern over why they are in this situation to begin with.

RossDawg82
12-10-2014, 11:48 AM
I agree, their offense doesn't seem to be a very complicated system. Usually a read with a pass option at most. Bo never makes it to his 3rd or 4th progression. So I don't understand why they cannot find a guy to run that offense. There is no reason that Kincade should not be able to do that as a 4* QB.

TrapGame
12-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Freeze had three yrs with Wallace to bring up a solid 3* dual threat guy, at the very least.

Johnson85
12-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Another name to keep an eye on. Jake Hubenak, Blinn QB, some of the #OleMiss staff watched him work out yesterday.

This guy's only offer is Prairie View: http://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Hubenak-77430

Looks like panic may be setting in. Not sure why they would be looking at this guy if Kelly was a shoe in.

This was a good conversation on Bo Bounds this morning, and, with the talent Ole Miss has returning next season, they should ABSOLUTELY be recruiting a JUCO QB if they don't believe Buchanan or Kincade can do the job. I don't see this as the debate.

However, that does bring to light a possible greater problem: How did Ole Miss recruit 2 4 star high school QBs and now neither one of them can play? Is it bad development or poor evaluation? And they just invested 4.5 mil in a coach that hasn't proven he can scout or develop a QB. Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Does Bucky know how to fish for QBs or is his entire career going to be successful or unsuccessful based on how well Buddy Stevens develops QBs?

Is Ole Miss' offense a plug and play system? Obviously not, if two 4 star QBs can't run it after over 2 years of development.

Even if Chad Kelly or this guy end up winning the Heisman, there has to be some concern over why they are in this situation to begin with.

Not sure about Kincaide, but Buchanan was a weird situation. Unless the Buchanans were lying, clearly a lot of people saw something in him. But it wasn't his production on the field in highschool. An SEC quality QB in private school in Mississippi would generally light it up. Even in a run heavy offense his completion percentage and yds per attempt would be crazy high even if his total passing yards weren't. If everybody was just projecting him based on his size and arm strength, I'm not sure you can fault Bucky for him not being ready to play as a RS Sophomore. I'm not sure how effective Dak would have been as a RS Sophomore without his ability to run.

I'm guessing they are looking at somebody besides Kelly because they are concerned about his character or concerned that LSU will steal him at the last minute, so they have to have some back-up option. Probably not a bad idea for them to go get two JUCO QB's as important as the position is for them next season, assuming they can get two quality JUCO prospects to commit, knowing if they don't win the starting job their career is basically over.

Jacksondevildog
12-10-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure why people do not understand that Buchannan was an Ole Miss legacy due to his grandfather and the money that he donated to Ole Miss. He was coming to Ole Miss, whether he played football or not. There wasnt a lot of recruiting there. I think there is a building on campus named after his grandfather.

codeDawg
12-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Like it or not, Bo was extremely good at what Freeze needed him to be good at most of the time. He got the ball out fast, accurately, and MOST of the time he made the right read. Bo had an issue with taking risks that sometimes paid off, sometimes lost games.

It is going to be really hard for Freeze to replace that this quickly. I don't think either of the guys he has on campus can replicate what Bo could do. Freeze needs a smart, tough, gunslinger with experience, right now. The window is closing with the talent he has on the field. 2016 is going to be a rebuilding year.

starkvegasdawg
12-10-2014, 12:09 PM
There is no reason that Kincade should not be able to do that as a 4* QB.

He's still trying to master the ball going forward when he throws it.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Like it or not, Bo was extremely good at what Freeze needed him to be good at most of the time. He got the ball out fast, accurately, and MOST of the time he made the right read. Bo had an issue with taking risks that sometimes paid off, sometimes lost games.

It is going to be really hard for Freeze to replace that this quickly. I don't think either of the guys he has on campus can replicate what Bo could do. Freeze needs a smart, tough, gunslinger with experience, right now. The window is closing with the talent he has on the field. 2016 is going to be a rebuilding year.

Completely agree. Bo fit Freeze's offense perfectly, and, while he was reckless and seemed to be a less than stellar teammate, he was tough, a gunslinger, and got rid of the ball quickly. Bo always scared me, because, while he wasn't consistent, he was capable.

I think an interesting thing to look at is how quickly Urban Meyer has replaced his QBs this year. The Meyer/Mullen system seems to be QB friendly and Meyer and Mullen seem to have the ability to coach it very effectively.

Mullen has missed as well with Favre & Schuessler, and, after Dak graduates, we may be in the same position Ole Miss is in now, but Mullen has proven the ability to recruit and develop at least one QB on his roster.

thf24
12-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Mullen has missed as well with Favre & Schuessler, and, after Dak graduates, we may be in the same position Ole Miss is in now, but Mullen has proven the ability to recruit and develop at least one QB on his roster.

I wouldn't call them misses, as I doubt Mullen ever intended for either of them to be his guy. Favre was talented but lacked the size to produce consistently or last in the SEC in Mullen's offense. I don't think we were ever very high on Schuessler as we didn't offer him until late, and even then I think it was likely due to trying to get our name in the Kimdeechee sweepstakes.

msstate7
12-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Jake is probably just insurance in case dr dre signs kelly*

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't call them misses, as I doubt Mullen ever intended for either of them to be his guy. Favre was talented but lacked the size to produce consistently or last in the SEC in Mullen's offense. I don't think we were ever very high on Schuessler as we didn't offer him until late, and even then I think it was likely due to trying to get our name in the Kimdeechee sweepstakes.

I agree. I'm just trying to be objective

Dawg61
12-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Jake is probably just insurance in case dr dre signs kelly*

Nowdays everybody gotta talk like they got somethin to say but they move their lips and its a bunch of gibberish and motherfxckers act like they forgot about Dre.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 01:25 PM
This just tells me that Kelly may not be the lock to go to Ole Miss. I suspect Kelly really wants to got to LSU or he may have left a really bad impression on the Ole Miss coaches.

MSUDawg4Life
12-10-2014, 01:31 PM
This just tells me that Kelly may not be the lock to go to Ole Miss. I suspect Kelly really wants to got to LSU or he may have left a really bad impression on the Ole Miss coaches.

Bad impression? I'm not sure OM coaches have particularly high standards in that area. Besides, beggars can't be choosers.

BeastMan
12-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Kelly is going to OM. If they are targeting another juco QB (3rd this cycle), it's for an emergency plan if Kelly goes somewhere else which is unlikely right now. The telling thing is that OM has targeted 3 juco QBs. That tells me they have zero faith in Buchannon, Kincaide, or Doss. They are in full panic mode to get a juco QB on campus b/c they know they don't currentky have the answer. I really really like Kelly's talent but I think a lot of SEC fans are going to find out how valuable Bo Wallace has been.

woozman
12-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Buchanan was a weird situation. Unless the Buchanans were lying, clearly a lot of people saw something in him.

Buchanan blew up when FL offered him and got the OM fans fired up because "they were stealing one from FL". Unfortunately for OM fans, it has become clear that Muschamp isn't the guy you want to trust with QB evaluations.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Bad impression? I'm not sure OM coaches have particularly high standards in that area. Besides, beggars can't be choosers.

Here's the difference between Bo and Chad. Most of the stuff Bo did that was bad was either off the field or something like him walking off the field at LSU before the game was over. Kelly not only questioned his coaches decision publically in the spring game- he went so over the top about it that he had to be arrested.

I can't remember Bo and Freeze going at it with each other during a game even though I do recall Freeze yelling "NO BO!" and stuff like that at him constantly. If he did that to Kelly, there is a legit chance that there might be a fist fight on the sideline between Chad and Freeze. If Freeze throws Chad under the bus after a loss, there is decent chance that the Ole Miss locker room is going to get torn up.

Ole Miss already has some pretty volatile guys as it is. A guy like Kelly could put them over the top. I have a feeling Freeze realizes that too.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Not sure about Kincaide, but Buchanan was a weird situation. Unless the Buchanans were lying, clearly a lot of people saw something in him. But it wasn't his production on the field in highschool. An SEC quality QB in private school in Mississippi would generally light it up. Even in a run heavy offense his completion percentage and yds per attempt would be crazy high even if his total passing yards weren't. If everybody was just projecting him based on his size and arm strength, I'm not sure you can fault Bucky for him not being ready to play as a RS Sophomore. I'm not sure how effective Dak would have been as a RS Sophomore without his ability to run.

I'm guessing they are looking at somebody besides Kelly because they are concerned about his character or concerned that LSU will steal him at the last minute, so they have to have some back-up option. Probably not a bad idea for them to go get two JUCO QB's as important as the position is for them next season, assuming they can get two quality JUCO prospects to commit, knowing if they don't win the starting job their career is basically over.

Buchanan has a very strong arm, and he does have SEC size and he can move around pretty decently. His WR's in high school were not great, but at the same time Buchanan did not always make good decisions. I think that combination led to what we saw with his stats. Prep was so good that year that they could beat you by running the ball all the time, but if Buchanan happened to be on, they were going to blow you out.

I think Buchanan has physical and athletic raw talent- but I don't know that he really has the desire to be anything other than the scout team QB at Ole Miss. I think if he had someone like Dan to work with him and the desire I think he might have been serviceable. So, I can understand why he had offers- but I'm pretty sure anyone that did offer him knew that he was going to be a work in progress.

I'm pretty sure that he is a legacy walk-on right now. He should not have been a four star recruit. I was pretty shocked by that to be honest with you. I would have rated him a three star because anyone with even remedial football knowledge could see that he needed a lot of work on his game. But if he's happy being the scout team QB for five years, more power to him. I probably wouldn't have minded being the scout team QB for MSU myself.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I agree, their offense doesn't seem to be a very complicated system. Usually a read with a pass option at most. Bo never makes it to his 3rd or 4th progression. So I don't understand why they cannot find a guy to run that offense. There is no reason that Kincade should not be able to do that as a 4* QB.

Well, if you are a HS QB that wants to potentially play in the NFL, would you want to play in a very simple offensive system or a more complex one that will get you ready for the NFL? I think that's part of their problem. The other part is their well known infatuation with QB's that they beg to transfer in over QB's that they recruit out of high school.

woozman
12-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Well, if you are a HS QB that wants to potentially play in the NFL, would you want to play in a very simple offensive system or a more complex one that will get you ready for the NFL? I think that's part of their problem. The other part is their well known infatuation with QB's that they beg to transfer in over QB's that they recruit out of high school.

Hilarious or delirious? I just pulled this from an OM site talking about their offense: "It is a rather complex offense full of reads and split second decisions."

sandwolf
12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Buchanan blew up when FL offered him and got the OM fans fired up because "they were stealing one from FL". Unfortunately for OM fans, it has become clear that Muschamp isn't the guy you want to trust with QB evaluations.

I am pretty sure that Petrino also offered Buchanan, and that is a guy that I would trust with QB evaluations.

MabenMaroon
12-10-2014, 03:30 PM
This is beginning to sound like a few years back when tsun wound having something like 6 or 7 scholly qb's on campus before the spring game ( I think all were touted as the next coming of Eli at one point or another), wound up really scrambling to get one up to starting speed and then went out and lost to Jax'ville St.
I certainly don't believe that tsun is in store for anything like that but damn it is eerily similar.

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Hilarious or delirious? I just pulled this from an OM site talking about their offense: "It is a rather complex offense full of reads and split second decisions."

I actually agree that you have to make spilt second decisions, but the whole thing with that offense is going as fast as possible and to do that you have to sacrifice some complexity.

Dan's offense on a bad day is more complex than what they run.