PDA

View Full Version : DTs for next year...

maroonmania
12-10-2014, 11:15 AM
So projecting out for next year based on what we have now on campus I'm assuming our DT rotation would be:

1A (i.e first team) - Chris Jones and Nelson Adams
1B (i.e second team) - Nick James and Cory Thomas
1C (i.e third team) - Braxton Hoyett and Grant Harris

Would that be the prevailing thought? Of course, if we land a good JUCO DT that would shake things up a little. Also, wasn't sure if Harris was playing DT or DE? Listed as DT on the roster but I have heard rumors that he was playing at End so wasn't sure.

msstate7
12-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Hopefully we can add a mature quay to that list. Unfortunately I feel the chances of that happening are about the same as signing daron Payne

Covercorner2
12-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Fletcher Adams may be in the mix...

jumbo
12-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Hopefully it looks like this

Jones, Adams
James, Swain/Taylor/Carr
Hoyett, Evans

maroonmania
12-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Hopefully it looks like this

Jones, Adams
James, Swain/Taylor/Carr
Hoyett, Evans

I've heard great things on Thomas. Is there a reason you wouldn't even project him in your 3 deep?

HancockCountyDog
12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Fletcher Adams may be in the mix...

I would love Fletcher Adams at DT next year, but I don't see him at more than 260 when August rolls around. He is cat quick though and would be a disruptive playermaker at the DT spot. I just don't know if he will hold up in the run game. Someone compared him to Gross with the bears, good comparison though Fletcher is a little bigger. Gross played at DT at like 245.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2014, 11:39 AM
So projecting out for next year based on what we have now on campus I'm assuming our DT rotation would be:

1A (i.e first team) - Chris Jones and Nelson Adams
1B (i.e second team) - Nick James and Cory Thomas
1C (i.e third team) - Braxton Hoyett and Grant Harris

Would that be the prevailing thought? Of course, if we land a good JUCO DT that would shake things up a little. Also, wasn't sure if Harris was playing DT or DE? Listed as DT on the roster but I have heard rumors that he was playing at End so wasn't sure.

I see Chris Jones and Nelson Adams more as 3 tech's. Now, you can certainly play with two 3 tech's in a 4-3 defense, but I think if we sign Jon Taylor who is a NT type guy our depth chart would be:

NT: Nick James/Jon Taylor (giving us 2 huge, quick, highly rated Zero tech's to plug the middle)
DT: Chris Jones/Nelson Adams ( 2 guys close to 300 pounds than can cause some disruption and rush the passer)

This would be ideal, imo. Then you would have Cory Thomas working his way in as the 5th DT.

maroonmania
12-10-2014, 11:39 AM
I would love Fletcher Adams at DT next year, but I don't see him at more than 260 when August rolls around. He is cat quick though and would be a disruptive playermaker at the DT spot. I just don't know if he will hold up in the run game. Someone compared him to Gross with the bears, good comparison though Fletcher is a little bigger. Gross played at DT at like 245.

Hopefully he can make an impact even though he is smaller but I tend not to project production from a true freshman along the lines. RK and CJ did that but they were also 5 star rated players as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Jones Taylor/Carr
Adams James
Thomas Hoyett

EAVdog
12-10-2014, 11:58 AM
We're going to be a lot happier we played the 1B's a lot this year come next year.

MSUDawg4Life
12-10-2014, 12:00 PM
We're going to be a lot happier we played the 1B's a lot this year come next year.

You don't say ....

Bothrops
12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Fletcher Adams will be in the starting mix. There is no way in hell that guy doesn't play early and often, he's explosive.

Covercorner2
12-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Yup. He gives us something we don't currently have: a quick twitch, disruptive DT that can rush the passer. Chris is great, but he relies more on his size and strength these days....

jumbo
12-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I've heard great things on Thomas. Is there a reason you wouldn't even project him in your 3 deep?

oversight on my part...meant to put Thomas/Evans

1998Dawg
12-10-2014, 05:19 PM

I can't stress this enough. Gentlemen, there is a method and purpose to everything Mullen does. The 1B system is all about the bigger picture.

1998Dawg
12-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Yup. He gives us something we don't currently have: a quick twitch, disruptive DT that can rush the passer. Chris is great, but he relies more on his size and strength these days....

sorry but I think my age is showing here but what is a quick twitch? Is that some sort of DLine technique like swim move? My nephew and his buds get on twitter all the time and I'm constantly trying to figure out what their talking about. Need a crash course in the

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 05:26 PM
I hope it's:

1. Jones and Taylor
2. Quay and Nick James
3. Nelson Adams and Cory Thomas

Political Hack
12-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I think they need to release the Kraken and have James at 0-1 and CJ at the 3.

CJ/James
Adams/Thomas/Taylor
Hoyett/Adams/Quay

Coach34
12-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Fletcher Adams will be in the starting mix. There is no way in hell that guy doesn't play early and often, he's explosive.

No

He will be closer to RS'ing than he will starting