PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe was offered, and turned down the Michigan job today....

CadaverDawg
12-09-2014, 11:28 PM
according to twitter. 10 years ago, Who woulda thought Duke would be more desirable than Michigan in a coach's eyes? Ha, I think it's hilarious because I can't stand Michigan. I'm glad Rich Rod bounced back after getting fired up there.

@Gil_Brandt: Was told tonight #Michigan officials offered David Cutcliffe their job but the #Duke coach turned it down. Times sure have changed.

Political Hack
12-09-2014, 11:36 PM
wow. good for Cut. loyal guy who knows what it's like to work for those who aren't loyal.

engie
12-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Loyalty...

I don't think anyone ever doubted it from Cut...

War Machine Dawg
12-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Think about it from Cut's perspective. He's getting older and probably doesn't plan on coaching much longer. If he leaves and goes to UM, he's got to win, win big, and win big quickly to stay there longer than 3-4 years. And he will ALWAYS have a faction of alumni breathing down his neck, second guessing him, or even outright working against him since he isn't a "Michigan Man." Whereas at Duke, he's got it made. As long as they're competitive, his job is safe. With a division title on his resume, they're probably working on putting up a statue of him. The alumni love the guy and he's basically a god. He can be happy there and not worry about a thing until he chooses to retire. Unless he wants to be a coaching lifer who can't walk away like Snyder at KSU, Beamer at VT, or Paterno there is no reason for him to leave Duke for anywhere, really. Even an SEC job.

MabenMaroon
12-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Does Cut still have the health problems that caused him to step back awhile?

Mutt the Hoople
12-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Does Cut still have the health problems that caused him to step back awhile?
Ole Miss caused him plenty of health problems....but when he left, he got better.

msstate7
12-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Then the harbaugh deal is obviously false. Bad days to be a Michigan fan esp with basketball falling apart too.

starkvegasdawg
12-10-2014, 08:00 AM
One of the best things that ever happened to MSU was TSUN firing Cutcliffe. A shining example of the boosters and fans thinking they were better than they were and not being happy with an 8 win season.

Johnson85
12-10-2014, 08:04 AM
according to twitter. 10 years ago, Who woulda thought Duke would be more desirable than Michigan in a coach's eyes? Ha, I think it's hilarious because I can't stand Michigan. I'm glad Rich Rod bounced back after getting fired up there.

@Gil_Brandt: Was told tonight #Michigan officials offered David Cutcliffe their job but the #Duke coach turned it down. Times sure have changed.

This is more a peculiarity of Cutcliffe than an indication of how far Michigan has fallen, although the Michigan job is definitely not as desirable as it used to be. From friends I have that worked at Ole Miss, Cutcliffe really does lack the killer instinct to be a an SEC coach. That's not a knock on him, he basically walked the way Freeze talks, which unfortunately can be a pretty big competitive disadvantage in major college football. Duke is the perfect fit for him. The recruits that will buy into his system will be more likely to value a duke education anyway, and Duke alumni would be happy with his level of winning even if they couldn't also take pride in the way he runs the program.

Martianlander
12-10-2014, 08:40 AM
He was too classy for tsun.

WinningIsRelentless
12-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Who is going to want to go there when the ad that hired you is only interim ad. Just goes to show how egotistical or stupid some organizations can be.

1bigdawg
12-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Who is going to want to go there when the ad that hired you is only interim ad. Just goes to show how egotistical or stupid some organizations can be.

I agree. Michigan's timing is awful. Having said that, I thought Cut was as good as they could do in terms of a proven coach. This is looking like a TSUN coaching search now, which is appropriate if you think about it.

State82
12-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Cutcliffe is in the perfect place for his personality. I would guess he thought about for a few minutes and said, "Nah. To heck with it. I'm too old for all that crap again."

TrapGame
12-10-2014, 10:27 AM
"...but we'll see if Mullen turns it down." - Bo Bounds this morning.

Bo Bounds is becoming a shit disturber. Had nothing to do with Cut saying no but he has to stir the pot like a pre-teen girl on instagram.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
12-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Bo Bounds is becoming a shit disturber. Had nothing to do with Cut saying no but he has to stir the pot like a pre-teen girl on instagram.

Well, that kind of is his job description. I don't see any reason Mullen would want to subject himself to the uphill battle that has become the "Michigan Way" though.

As for Cutcliffe, I don't know why he'd ever want to leave Duke. The Raleigh/Durham area is awesome, he is getting older and has had health issues in the past so the laid back expectations of Duke is perfect for him, he gets to watch badass basketball and hang with Coach K, He's already built the program up to be competitive... this list could go on and on, did I mention that Raleigh/Durham is infinitely preferable to cold-ass Michigan?

TrapGame
12-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Well, that kind of is his job description. I don't see any reason Mullen would want to subject himself to the uphill battle that has become the "Michigan Way" though.

As for Cutcliffe, I don't know why he'd ever want to leave Duke. The Raleigh/Durham area is awesome, he is getting older and has had health issues in the past so the laid back expectations of Duke is perfect for him, he gets to watch badass basketball and hang with Coach K, He's already built the program up to be competitive... this list could go on and on, did I mention that Raleigh/Durham is infinitely preferable to cold-ass Michigan?

I think Cut has an AD and a president willing to work with him much the same way Mullen has here. Michigan seems like a cauldron of chaos where the alums want one thing and the AD wants another and the president wants something else.

engie
12-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Exactly.

The only way the next coach at Michigan is any more successful than the past couple of failures is IF he's got enough juice to "Sabanize" it and basically tell all of the people pulling in different directions to "F off, we're doing this my way". Their culture is a hindrance at this point instead of an advantage. It'll take a very strong leader to get them back in line...

M.Fillmore
12-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Bo needs to spend his time with great guests to interview. When he talks...meh.
This morning he said LSU had one great year but are now a 8-4, 9-3 program, and he implied that MSU and Fredo are on a par with LSU going forward.

Uh, LSU has two national titles in the last decade. LSU went 8-4 this year verses 9-3 and 10-2 from Mississippi schools. Bo did acknowledge that LSU has recruiting advantages but that internal problems will keep them in the 8-4 neighborhood.

I'd love to believe Bo, but he is wrong.

An LSU guy did call Bo out on Neal McReady saying that LSU wouldn't win an SEC-West game this year. Bo ignored the comment. I think McReady, Roundsaville, and Yancy are triplet sons from different mothers.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Chris Mortenson says it didn't happen

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 10m10 minutes ago
To be clear, there has been zero contact between Michigan and Duke?s David Cutcliffe. No third party contact, even through search firm

mic
12-10-2014, 12:15 PM
No one will officially be offered the Michigan job until San Fran figures out what it is going to do with Harbaugh.

1bigdawg
12-10-2014, 12:46 PM
An LSU guy did call Bo out on Neal McReady saying that LSU wouldn't win an SEC-West game this year. Bo ignored the comment. I think McReady, Roundsaville, and Yancy are triplet sons from different mothers.

Yup, they were 2-4 in the division. I don't think LSU fans expected that either.