PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sometimes I hate car technology

Irondawg
12-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Now we are all addicted to our little lock/unlock keyfobs which are great until the freakin things break and you get raked over the coals for a piece of tech that probably cost $5 to make and $10 to program.

$150-$200 from 3 different Toyota dealers and mine is super basic lock/unlock. I'm about to figure out a way to McGuyver this thing b/c all that broke was the keyring attachment piece.

Dawgtini
12-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Try this and switch the inurds.

http://www.remotesremotes.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=I16

FlabLoser
12-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Google is your friend. I have purchased cheap keyfob on ebay and programmed it using instructions posted on message boards. Cost me about $10.

Wasn't Toyota though.

Irondawg
12-09-2014, 01:26 PM
gracias - replacement shell is the way to go.

for some reason I was naively thinking that the car companies would make it propietary somehow. The free market is great sometimes.

MSUDawg4Life
12-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I just have a key for my truck. There are times when I wished I just had paid the money to buy a replacement fob.

FlabLoser
12-09-2014, 01:36 PM
BTW, when I programmed my key, I was really programming the car to accept the key's signal to unlock the car. More than likely you also won't program the key. You are really programming the car.

Johnson85
12-09-2014, 03:56 PM
I have a car that only has electronic door unlock. No keyhole on the outside. If my battery goes dead in my key fob, I literally can't open the door. How ridiculous is to add a failure point like that? Basically guarantees the car is going to be a pain when it's really old.