PDA

View Full Version : Bregman's error is why I dont want a Freshman at SS next year

Coach34
06-16-2013, 10:32 PM
no matter how talented (and we dont have a signee nearly as talented as he is)- the pressure is going to eat them up at times

SS is our biggest question we have to answer next year

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 10:35 PM
That's a good point. I think the front runners are probably Pirtle and Britton at this point. Kyle Hann and Reid Humphries will be there as well, but I think Humphries more than likely starts at third- partially because of what you are talking about- and Hann is probably a better candidate at second if we move Pirtle.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Britton will be the man next year. I'm thinking he has a nice breakout year. I'm thinking he plays a solid SS and hits about .290.

Homedawg
06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
no matter how talented (and we dont have a signee nearly as talented as he is)- the pressure is going to eat them up at times

I'm normally in agreement w you coach. But in this case I sell this point. He made all league. You can't put an error strictly on youth and inexperience. Sometimes they happen. I'll take him tomorrow. We won't have anyone half as good as him next year. Whether they are a fr, or a jr.

Coach34
06-16-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm normally in agreement w you coach. But in this case I sell this point. He made all league. You can't put an error strictly on youth and inexperience. Sometimes they happen. I'll take him tomorrow. We won't have anyone half as good as him next year. Whether they are a fr, or a jr.

Not questioning his talent in the least. But pressure is tough on Freshmen- especially playing the 2nd toughest defensive position on the field. Bregman doesnt make that error as a Soph or Jr

Original48
06-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Not questioning his talent in the least. But pressure is tough on Freshmen- especially playing the 2nd toughest defensive position on the field. Bregman doesnt make that error as a Soph or Jr
I'm with Homedawg. Pressure is pressure. Hell did you see the short arm lollipops Detz was throwing to Rea in the 9th of the resumed Virginia game? And Wes and Holder tightened up too. I would take a thousand Bregmans. And LSUs catcher shouldn't be let off the hook either. His error was just as big.

Will James
06-16-2013, 11:16 PM

Come on this point is crazy. His age does not factor into these errors. Frost, a SR, airmailed the first grounder yesterday. Frazier has seemed to be counted on for an E in big games recently. Lord knows Ogden made em too as an old guy. Give me the best 9 and roll.

Also, with catcher as the most important defensive position, aren't we going to have a freshman there next year?

Coach34
06-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Pressure is pressure. Hell did you see the short arm lollipops Detz was throwing to Rea in the 9th of the resumed Virginia game?.

Experience and age doesnt help with pressure? C'mon you know it does. I never said I wouldnt take a thousand Bregman's- I just prefer they play 2nd or RF as Freshmen

As far as Detz- he is playing out of position at 3b- he is never going to be good there no matter how long he plays it

Coach34
06-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Also, with catcher as the most important defensive position, aren't we going to have a freshman there next year?

Ya'll are insane if you dont think age and experience help players handle pressure- that cant even be argued

And we signed a juco catcher also- he's either insurance or brought in to be the starter. And I highly doubt we will have a true freshman catching next year

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm with Homedawg. Pressure is pressure. Hell did you see the short arm lollipops Detz was throwing to Rea in the 9th of the resumed Virginia game? And Wes and Holder tightened up too. I would take a thousand Bregmans. And LSUs catcher shouldn't be let off the hook either. His error was just as big.

When Detz did his little skip jump thing, it scared the crap out of me. Actually, that entire inning scared the crap out of me.

maroonmania
06-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Come on this point is crazy. His age does not factor into these errors. Frost, a SR, airmailed the first grounder yesterday. Frazier has seemed to be counted on for an E in big games recently. Lord knows Ogden made em too as an old guy. Give me the best 9 and roll.

Frost's throwing errors have nothing to do with pressure, it's a result of playing a guy at 3rd base that has a 2nd baseman's arm.

Coach34
06-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Frost's throwing errors have nothing to do with pressure, it's a result of playing a guy at 3rd base that has a 2nd baseman's arm.

This all day long

Original48
06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Ya'll are insane if you dont think age and experience help players handle pressure- that cant even be argued
I agree with inexperience being an issue. But not being an experienced player in super regionals and CWSs' equalizes all grade classifications. And thats pretty much our entire team. I could argue Holder was succumbing to pressure Saturday vs Oregon St. He has been incredible all year. But Saturday he was too amped and throwing his breaking ball too hard and leaving it up. We were fortunate to have won that game but I fully expect us to play much better from here on. Well..if we make it to the championship series you may see another round of this.

Sandman14
06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
the thing with SS is that it is so important, if you get an exceptional talent, you want to get him in and let him play 3 years. you may lose a little the first year but you gain big the next two.

mathew maniscalco.

if humphries is the real deal defensively, I'd try him for sure. I'm not sold britton will ever be able to handle a bat, but maybe. I just haven't see anything out of haan.

I like the idea of moving pyrtle over and playing haan at 2b..sort of. the age old adage in business is if you take a proficient employee and move him and hire into the promoted employees spot, you may end up with two employees who are duds because the promoted employee may not be able to handle the new job. so almost better to just roll with knowing you have one of the best 2b in the league in pyrtle next year.

I don't blame Bregman's error on pressure one bit. he's an exceptional player. he's been under intense pressure from the start of the season and he's flourished. Bregman had a hot shot hit at him that I actually waited to see whether they would call an error. I thought it was an error, but sometimes in college ball they let things go. bottom line was that screamer took a bad hop on him.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 12:33 AM
. bottom line was that screamer took a bad hop on him.

bad hop???? Wtf? There was no bad hop- he simply misplayed it

Sandman14
06-17-2013, 12:36 AM
well I watched it live and then saw a replay and both times I thought I saw the ball take a low hop. I very well could be wrong though.

what about frazier, an experienced junior, waiting until it's all on the line to start making errors this year? He's as smooth as they come, but even in his extensive experience, he's become shaky as of late. Glad to see he appears to be smoothing out lately though.

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 12:52 AM
well I watched it live and then saw a replay and both times I thought I saw the ball take a low hop. I very well could be wrong though.

what about frazier, an experienced junior, waiting until it's all on the line to start making errors this year? He's as smooth as they come, but even in his extensive experience, he's become shaky as of late. Glad to see he appears to be smoothing out lately though.

He should have charged it and cut the angle down. He let the ball play him.

Sandman14
06-17-2013, 12:54 AM
To your point, though, I just saw that Bergman now has 4 errors in 6 NCAA games. Now that right there might mean he's got demons in his head currently, which could be attributed at least in part to his immaturity.

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 01:03 AM
I agree with inexperience being an issue. But not being an experienced player in super regionals and CWSs' equalizes all grade classifications. And thats pretty much our entire team. I could argue Holder was succumbing to pressure Saturday vs Oregon St. He has been incredible all year. But Saturday he was too amped and throwing his breaking ball too hard and leaving it up. We were fortunate to have won that game but I fully expect us to play much better from here on. Well..if we make it to the championship series you may see another round of this.

This is why I say that experience in the CWS is a team's greatest advantage that they can have. Holder was overthrowing in the regional game that he appeared in- that combined with the fact that the umpire was NOT giving anyone a low strike call. Fortunately, Wes appeared to figure this out, and he went out and told Holder to throw all curveballs- he gets a couple of outs doing that, and then for some reason he goes BACK to throwing fastballs which he doesn't get the call on until Wes goes out again and is like WTF? Throw the hammer. Holder does and we win.

Against Virginia, Holder did fine- other than the fubar play which Wes threw behind him. He got in trouble because of our defense. He gave up one hit- which was a guy taking an ugly swing and getting enough of the barrel to serve it over the infield for a bloop single. That and the umpire making Holder throw it down a gnat's ass to get a strike call. It was the opposite of Central Arkansas- he was getting the fastball, but not the curveball. Luckily for us, we had enough of a lead where we could make some mistakes and get away with it- barely.

Against Oregon State, Holder came in during a jam, and gets a weak pop out and then strikes out a guy to end the inning. Then he gives up a solid single, strikes out two more guys and then hangs a curveball in a huge ballpark which kept it in the park.

The thing about Holder is he is so dominant that if he doesn't strike out the side, it's almost like he is "off" to us. But the reality is, he's not getting hit that hard in general aside from two batters and he is still striking out people at a very high rate. I would prefer to use him for one inning instead of two if at all possible, though.

Will James
06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Over an entire season yeah obviously experience and age matter. Looking at one individual play and saying its cause he's a freshman, no. Not buying that. No upperclassman SS has ever made an E at the CWS?

Coach34
06-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Over an entire season yeah obviously experience and age matter. Looking at one individual play and saying its cause he's a freshman, no. Not buying that. No upperclassman SS has ever made an E at the CWS?

He's made 4 errors this postseason- you love trends- there's one for ya

Original48
06-17-2013, 10:11 AM
C'mon Coach.. What does this mean? He should be pulled? Manieri should have known he was playing with fire all year and not started him in the post season? Bregmans gacked on a couple of plays. But the guy is a stud. By the way, for all the plays he has made, Frazier could have easily ended our season with his postseason boots.

Will James
06-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Pirtle also has 4 this postseason, Frazier has 3. They are both juniors.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
C'mon Coach.. What does this mean? He should be pulled? Manieri should have known he was playing with fire all year and not started him in the post season? Bregmans gacked on a couple of plays. But the guy is a stud. By the way, for all the plays he has made, Frazier could have easily ended our season with his postseason boots.

Manieri cant pull him and he has to live with it. He has no choice. He made that decision before the season started. It's like having a stud QB- I would prefer not to play them as true Freshmen either. It's just something I'd rather find another way of doing.

Let me ask you this- Bregman has more top end talent than Frazier. Who would you prefer playing SS for you right now?

Will James
06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
It's like having a stud QB- I would prefer not to play them as true Freshmen either.

No, it's not anything like this. This is baseball. SS is not a QB. I didn't understand you wanting Renfroe leading off and I don't understand this. You wouldn't have played Bregman this year? Bull shit.

Original48
06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Let me ask you this- Bregman has more top end talent than Frazier. Who would you prefer playing SS for you right now?
Right now Frazier. If the season were to start today Bregman.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 11:53 AM
You wouldn't have played Bregman this year? Bull shit.

I'm saying if there was any way- I would have played Bregman at another position- and played him at SS during the midweek for experience. If there is no way- then you do what you have to do.

Goat Holder
06-17-2013, 11:57 AM

100% disagree. I'm with Cadaverdawg in that Britton is going to be the SS next year and will be solid, if not a complete breakout type player.

CATCHER is our biggest question going into the offseason. We have a wealth of upperclass pitching talent, we need someone who can handle them back there. Cody Walker may be the guy from what I've heard.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 12:17 PM
100% disagree. I'm with Cadaverdawg in that Britton is going to be the SS next year and will be solid, if not a complete breakout type player.

CATCHER is our biggest question going into the offseason. We have a wealth of upperclass pitching talent, we need someone who can handle them back there. Cody Walker may be the guy from what I've heard.

I'm a big Britton guy- shit I thought he would start for us this year. I hope he gets a fair shot.

We'll have a catcher- not worried there. We signed another juco to help there also