PDA

View Full Version : Geron Christian, former Miami OL commit just committed to Louisville...

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I know we are talking to him about a visit.

BeastMan
12-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I originally thought he was the guy that we had lined up for Derouen but he wasn't. Hopefully we lock up this other HS kid but Rankin taking his OV this weekend is the most pressing

Irondawg
12-09-2014, 10:26 AM
It's a slight bummer but it's just hard to get upset about losing OG as they are just so hard to project but if we want to stay consistently good we have to have a strong 2 deep at OL and DL as well as QB so cotinuing to lose top OL targets that we hear the staff is high on is discouraging.

Really not sure why we seem to have a much higher swing and miss rate there (and it could all be perception)

Jacksondevildog
12-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Landing Rankin is extremely important. Seems to be a lot of momentum for us with him so I fully expect us to not get him.

engie
12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
As the Hevesy world turns...

We'll add it to the list...

gtowndawg
12-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Shocker.

Really Clark?
12-09-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't know if I call a guy that never came to campus a loss. We had been on him a while and made a big push after he decommitted but you can call a ton of recruits losses if that's the criteria. And he was not the reason for the gray shirt offer to the other OL that decommitted. That was happening regardless.

trob115
12-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Guy never visited campus. He wasn't coming here. His brother also plays for Louisville, fwiw.

EAVdog
12-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Guy never visited campus. He wasn't coming here. His brother also plays for Louisville, fwiw.

Shhh... still Hevesy's fault.

Gridirondawg
12-09-2014, 11:00 AM
I don't know if I call a guy that never came to campus a loss. We had been on him a while and made a big push after he decommitted but you can call a ton of recruits losses if that's the criteria. And he was not the reason for the gray shirt offer to the other OL that decommitted. That was happening regardless.

Good Lord don't let reality get in the way of a good meltdown.

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2014, 11:17 AM

I just saw on twitter that Paul retweeted his commitment. Its two months until signing day, no one should be worried about anything at this point. We have three OL committed, probably only have room for 2 more, so I don't see anyone freaking out.

Id much rather talk football recruiting than basketball.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Lock up Rankin & get another HS OL to go with what we've got & this OL class is very good. Easily the best under Mullen.

CadaverDawg
12-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Can current players go on in-home visits with coaches? If so, can we just let Dak start going with Hevesy and have Hev stay in the car? I have yet to see a lineman that didn't want to block for Dak, but I see tons that don't want to block for Hevesy.

NCDawg
12-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I know Mullen is fond of his yankee buddy, but after watching our OL get dominated in the Ole Miss game, surely he realizes something needs to be done to fix that problem.

Todd4State
12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I know Mullen is fond of his yankee buddy, but after watching our OL get dominated in the Ole Miss game, surely he realizes something needs to be done to fix that problem.

No.

msstate7
12-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Lock up Rankin & get another HS OL to go with what we've got & this OL class is very good. Easily the best under Mullen.

Care to speculate who the HS olineman might be? Oh, we might wanna have 2 HS olinemen ready bc of Williams' desire to be at auburn

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2014, 12:38 PM
There is a kid from TN who I won't put his name out yet that I feel if we want we'll have. I'm not worried about Williams. Nothing has changed with Williams since he committed. We all knew he wanted a commitable Auburn offer. He doesn't have 1 & the odds of him getting 1 is very low. A lot of things would have to go on for that to happen. We should close this class with Champion, Moon, Williams, Rankin, & 1 more HS OL. How anybody could be upset with that class is beyond me. If somethings happen where that isn't the class on signing day by all means bitch about it but complaining right now is just bitching to bitch. Yea I know Hev did this & our OL has been that but that has nothing to do with this year's class. We're talking about this year & this year we've been good & on the way to getting better.

engie
12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Let's overlook the UF decommit that actually did OV to MSU that just committed to LSU as well. Let's dismiss the kid that most were talking about with the "we're getting him over of Derouen" propaganda. It's funny to me that we've seen this same thing play out a half dozen years with this staff now -- and a pretty large percentage is still expecting a different result. I'd LOVE to see a different result -- but it is going to have to happen first.

Get Rankin and I'll be fine with everything. All I can say.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/67/tumblr_ld50v7q6tn1qabw68o1_400.gif

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Offensive+lineman+error+have+you+tried+forcing+an+ unexpected+reboot_342af5_5344213.gif

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2014, 12:47 PM
I can't speak on what others have said. I've never once said we were getting George Brown. I never once said Christian was a replacement over Derouen. I can't make you or anybody change your feelings or thoughts neither am I trying. I'm just letting you know what I know as of today. Again we have 3 OL commits 2 of them are top of the line SEC players & the other is a project with good size. We have our biggest & #1 OL recruit coming to campus this weekend. I've said for months how I feel about us & Rankin. He signs next week. We get Rankin in the class that's 3 out of 4 OL committed that are bona fide SEC players. With 2 months left to add 1 more HS OL. Again I know about the previous 6yrs but that has nothing to do with today.

msstate7
12-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I can't speak on what others have said. I've never once said we were getting George Brown. I never once said Christian was a replacement over Derouen. I can't make you or anybody change your feelings or thoughts neither am I trying. I'm just letting you know what I know as of today. Again we have 3 OL commits 2 of them are top of the line SEC players & the other is a project with good size. We have our biggest & #1 OL recruit coming to campus this weekend. I've said for months how I feel about us & Rankin. He signs next week. We get Rankin in the class that's 3 out of 4 OL committed that are bona fide SEC players. With 2 months left to add 1 more HS OL. Again I know about the previous 6yrs but that has nothing to do with today.

So we're getting last visit from rankin before he signs?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Yep his OV is this weekend Juco signing day is the 17th. We asked him to push his OV back from last weekend to this weekend for that reason & so he can visit with Calvin & Gray.

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Is Williams the top of the line SEC player or Moon. I ask be cause I don't see an SEC offer that is commutable for either unless we are starting to count Kentucky, and I choose not to consider Kentucky a real SEC school at this point.

engie
12-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Like I said -- Get Rankin and hold what we've got and add another HS player, even if a project -- and I'm fine with it. This will be the best OL class we've had from a topend talent standpoint with Rankin, Champion, and Williams.

Thusfar, this staff has never shown the ability to close on a bonafide JUCO OT with options. Siddoway is the closest we've come, as a last minute 4th option that was between us and Pitt. And don't get me wrong -- I was damn glad to have him after the JUCO fiascos of 2010 and 2011.

We've whiffed on(just JUCO OTs in classes where we had an outgoing starting tackle without an heir apparent):
Gennessy to aTm

Hawkins to Texas
Glauser to FSU
Beard to UGA

It gets worse as we go back further.

That's why I'm nervous about it. Hope we get Rankin, close strong, and can quit worrying about it going forward.

Sacrifice
12-09-2014, 01:08 PM
What's the deal with Hevesy? The guy can obviously develop lineman. Is it just a personality thing? I read an article on the recruitment of Dak and Hevesy was at his HS snapping the ball during practice, hell I think they made him a honorary team member. Is it just a, you either love him or hate him deal? I've never meet the man.

Really Clark?
12-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Champion and Williams are both very good and look to be SEC caliber. Of course I have always viewed OL rankings somewhat suspect and hard to predict.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2014, 01:14 PM
What's the deal with Hevesy? The guy can obviously develop lineman. Is it just a personality thing? I read an article on the recruitment of Dak and Hevesy was at his HS snapping the ball during practice, hell I think they made him a honorary team member. Is it just a, you either love him or hate him deal? I've never meet the man.

Yeah, this confuses me as well. I think Hevesy is a hard nosed, brutally honest, ass-hole, which makes recruiting tough, but the confusing part is that I think all good offensive line coaches have that personality.

Typically O-line coaches have the crustiest, most unfiltered, tough guy attitude of any of the coaches on the staff. So while I understand that Heavesy is an ass hole, I don't get why he can't out recruit all the other o-line coaches that are ass holes as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Is Williams the top of the line SEC player or Moon. I ask be cause I don't see an SEC offer that is commutable for either unless we are starting to count Kentucky, and I choose not to consider Kentucky a real SEC school at this point.

I was talking about Williams. MSU, Auburn, Kentucky, Louisville, & FSU among others is a pretty legit offer list. His offer from Auburn was commitable during the summer but he waited & his ship sailed. Pretty much like us & J'mar Smith.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Like I said -- Get Rankin and hold what we've got and add another HS player, even if a project -- and I'm fine with it. This will be the best OL class we've had from a topend talent standpoint with Rankin, Champion, and Williams.

Thusfar, this staff has never shown the ability to close on a bonafide JUCO OT with options. Siddoway is the closest we've come, as a last minute 4th option that was between us and Pitt. And don't get me wrong -- I was damn glad to have him after the JUCO fiascos of 2010 and 2011.

We've whiffed on(just JUCO OTs in classes where we had an outgoing starting tackle without an heir apparent):
Gennessy to aTm

Hawkins to Texas
Glauser to FSU
Beard to UGA

It gets worse as we go back further.

That's why I'm nervous about it. Hope we get Rankin, close strong, and can quit worrying about it going forward.

I totally get that & you're not wrong at all. I don't mind your wait & see attitude it's understandable. All I ask is the same wait & see for something good with Rankin is the same wait & see before we go off the deep end every time an OL doesn't choose us. It's about who you end up with not who you don't.

NCDawg
12-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Yeah, this confuses me as well. I think Hevesy is a hard nosed, brutally honest, ass-hole, which makes recruiting tough, but the confusing part is that I think all good offensive line coaches have that personality.

Typically O-line coaches have the crustiest, most unfiltered, tough guy attitude of any of the coaches on the staff. So while I understand that Heavesy is an ass hole, I don't get why he can't out recruit all the other o-line coaches that are ass holes as well.

My opinion (and I could be totally wrong) is that he is a yankee, and cannot relate to the Southern kids, both black and white.

BankerDog
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Gennesy nor Price started this year at their schools.

Deon Mix was manhandled by a freshman Fletcher Adams in his SR year. Hev went to bat for him to keep the USP connection; that's why he blew up on Mix when he took the UCLA trip. Mix is slow and soft.

Hev was also on his in-home visit with Harrison Moon when Trey D announced his decision to open back up.