PDA

View Full Version : Auburn has spoken to Collins among others (forgive if Germans)

Dawgowar
12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Excerpt below but link to entire rollup. Do not always think this page is accurate but interesting nonetheless.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

"Auburn: Gus Malzahn tells reporters he hasn?t yet decided who will coach the defense for bowl practices and that he hopes to hire a new coordinator in the near future. Rivals.com?s Auburn site reports Malzahn has spoken with former Florida coach Will Muschamp, Memphis defensive coordinator / safeties coach Barry Odom and Mississippi State defensive coordinator / linebackers coach Geoff Collins. UAB head coach Bill Clark is also a possibility. "

MetEdDawg
12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
If this is true, how much of a step up is it? I think there is some because he will get paid a couple hundred thousand more and probably recruit more higher profile guys on a consistent basis.

But would you leave Starkville for that? He has another good year next year and he's going to get a HC job. Heck he could get one still this offseason. But is Auburn really THAT much better of a job right now?

msstate7
12-09-2014, 08:34 AM
If Collins leaves, I'd be all over trying to make Ed o and bill Clark co-defensive cood's with Clark calling defense

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Im a little surprised we offered Collins permission to speak to an in division rival for a lateral job. We may have a policy that we always offer permission, but Auburn would've had to ask for permission.

Secondly, in surprised that this get out, due to recruiting purposes. I feel as though this staff brings unnecessry recruiting battles upon themselves due to their names getting out for other jobs. I wonder if this staffs recruiting would be any better if they just completely committed to MSU and stopped allowing their names to leak out about other jobs?

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Im a little surprised we offered Collins permission to speak to an in division rival for a lateral job. We may have a policy that we always offer permission, but Auburn would've had to ask for permission.

Secondly, in surprised that this get out, due to recruiting purposes. I feel as though this staff brings unnecessry recruiting battles upon themselves due to their names getting out for other jobs. I wonder if this staffs recruiting would be any better if they just completely committed to MSU and stopped allowing their names to leak out about other jobs?

I don't think anyone can be surprised Collins' name is being mentioned after CDM's post game news conference.

Johnson85
12-09-2014, 10:06 AM
If this is true, how much of a step up is it? I think there is some because he will get paid a couple hundred thousand more and probably recruit more higher profile guys on a consistent basis.

But would you leave Starkville for that? He has another good year next year and he's going to get a HC job. Heck he could get one still this offseason. But is Auburn really THAT much better of a job right now?

Auburn won't pay him $200k more than we do unless we don't really care about losing him that much. They're not going to give him $1M, if they give him $700k we can match. It will be interesting to see how quickly assistant coaches salaries rise in the SEC. I'm guessing they rise faster than head coaches salary just because it's going to be so hard for most people to swallow paying head coaches more than $4M a year.

FISHDAWG
12-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Auburn won't pay him $200k more than we do unless we don't really care about losing him that much. They're not going to give him $1M, if they give him $700k we can match. It will be interesting to see how quickly assistant coaches salaries rise in the SEC. I'm guessing they rise faster than head coaches salary just because it's going to be so hard for most people to swallow paying head coaches more than $4M a year.

we didn't even try to do this with M Diaz

FlabLoser
12-09-2014, 10:37 AM

A) Mad Manny had just one season here when Texas offered. I think a guy needs to prove himself over 2-3 years like Collins has.

B) Mullen hadn't proven himself either at the time Texas offered Diaz. Fast forward to today, and Mullen has proven himself and the staff which we need to keep.

C) Back then we weren't yet playing the game of paying assistants SEC money. We are now.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't think anyone can be surprised Collins' name is being mentioned after CDM's post game news conference.

I can almost guarantee that this has nothing to do with it, and Collins would probably be the first person to criticize his Egg Bowl performance.

Believe it or not, these coaches aren't babies that get their feelings hurt about every little thing

I've recently seen multiple pictures of Collins and Mullen together with recruits. There doesn't appear to be any animosity, and to insinuate that would just be trying to drum up drama where there is none

Thick
12-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Maybe Dan wants Collins to look around. Maybe Dan wants someone else to run the defense that will actually blitz the LBs and Safeties. I think that's what attacks big time defensive players, aggressive defensive coordinators that let the Dawgs loose. Leo is probably more attracted to the defensive philolosophy of OM then the "bend don't break" that we have adopted. Defensive players want to attack offenses especially linebackers. You would think Collins would incorporate more of that into his game plans.

SallyStansbury
12-09-2014, 11:02 AM
I can almost guarantee that this has nothing to do with it, and Collins would probably be the first person to criticize his Egg Bowl performance.

Believe it or not, these coaches aren't babies that get their feelings hurt about every little thing

I've recently seen multiple pictures of Collins and Mullen together with recruits. There doesn't appear to be any animosity, and to insinuate that would just be trying to drum up drama where there is none

I hope you are correct........

But what if your bread and butter is aggression/intensity MAYHEM* & JUICE*....but your boss constantly told you to shut up and bend but don't break. That might make a lateral to AU look pretty tasty? I wonder to what degree Mullen has his hands in our defensive game plan? The lack of risk exposure in the Alabama and Olemiss game kind of reminds me of a defensive version of running Dak up the middle repeatedly. Makes you wonder.

Why isn't Hevesy mentioned as a candidate for head coaching positions or bigger profile jobs?

EAVdog
12-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Maybe Auburn is playing chess and leaked that out to cause consternation? You know we are recruiting a lot of the same players.

Johnson85
12-09-2014, 12:28 PM

We had about $18M less in annual TV money at the time.

UT at the time was at the time a destination program. A&M was still little brother then, UT had as much or more money than anybody else and was top dog where they recruited, in a very fertile ground for recruiting. Had we offered to match UT's offer, Diaz probably still would have gone, if we had raised it to our max, it wouldn't have even been noticeable to UT's budget if they matched or raised.

UT's a little different now, but Auburn is still not UT, even the new UT. Auburn is crazy so will spend a lot, but there's not the gulf financially between us and Auburn that there is between UT and Auburn.

Diaz was no Collins. Diaz had some good defenses in the Sun Belt and a good defense that was loaded with talent one year at MSU. Collins has had defenses at FIU and MSU and has a couple of years under his belt at MSU now. We still might let him walk but it would be because we weren't sure he was worth the money, not because we couldn't pay the money.

Mullen then is not Mullen now. If Mullen really asked for $1.2M to give to a DC on a two year contract, at this point we'd have to say yes. He's earned it. One we should trust his judgment, but two, even if you don't trust his judgment on DC (he did offer Torbush, Manny, and Wilson, none of whom look like good DCs, but he also didn't ask to pay them well), you still have to give him what he wants at this point, especially if it's just a two year commitment.

engie
12-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Collins will make $625k this year anyway in his current contract at MSU...

TrapGame
12-09-2014, 01:23 PM
If Collins leaves, I'd be all over trying to make Ed o and bill Clark co-defensive cood's with Clark calling defense

And put O in charge of recruiting. Freeze's head would explode since O taught him everything he knows about recruiting.

TrapGame
12-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Maybe Dan wants Collins to look around. Maybe Dan wants someone else to run the defense that will actually blitz the LBs and Safeties. I think that's what attacks big time defensive players, aggressive defensive coordinators that let the Dawgs loose. Leo is probably more attracted to the defensive philolosophy of OM then the "bend don't break" that we have adopted. Defensive players want to attack offenses especially linebackers. You would think Collins would incorporate more of that into his game plans.

I don't think it's all Collins. I think Mullen does some micro-management.

Thick
12-09-2014, 02:25 PM
In this new playoff system, Dan better be thinking about winning, running up the score, while shutting opponents down with the defense too. It's not about just winning, anymore, it's also about style points too. If you can embarrass your opponent...do it. No more taking a knee.

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2014, 02:32 PM
I don't think it's all Collins. I think Mullen does some micro-management.

I have to admit, I haven't heard Dan getting in Collins way as far as calls. Maybe insiders know more, but I know in the past that Dan is pretty hands off on the defense.

SDDawg
12-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Collins won't go to Auburn for a lateral, he'll stick here, get paid and work towards a head coaching gig.

NCDawg
12-09-2014, 02:39 PM
And put O in charge of recruiting. Freeze's head would explode since O taught him everything he knows about recruiting.

I wish we would do that anyway. We need someone who is a top notch recruiter. I think Ed O is that. With all that big money floating around, pay him what he thinks is necessary to get the job done.

jumbo
12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
I wish we would do that anyway. We need someone who is a top notch recruiter. I think Ed O is that. With all that big money floating around, pay him what he thinks is necessary to get the job done.

Agreed. Would love to get O on the staff in some capacity.

blacklistedbully
12-10-2014, 01:43 AM
In this new playoff system, Dan better be thinking about winning, running up the score, while shutting opponents down with the defense too. It's not about just winning, anymore, it's also about style points too. If you can embarrass your opponent...do it. No more taking a knee.

He has already said he will not, and does not "believe it is football".

Todd4State
12-10-2014, 02:19 AM
He has already said he will not, and does not "believe it is football".

That was a ridiculous statement by Dan. In baseball, you don't stop trying to take good at bats and making quality pitches because you are up 12-0 late in the game. If you score five more runs and make it 17-0, well that's the other teams fault.

In football, we've been on the end where we've had it run up on us before. Spurrier did it all the time to just about everybody when he was at Florida. If the other team can't stop us, then it's not our fault. If us running up the score pisses off the other team, well in the words of Hugh Freeze, recruit better players. Is Dan going for some mythical sportsmanship trophy?

The fact is, we're Mississippi State and we have to go the extra mile to impress people in football because we're not Alabama, USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc.

And it pisses me off when I see us play UAB, Kentucky, LSU, Texas A&M, and I'm sitting there in the stands and paid good money and spent my personal time to support this team and I watch the 1B's half ass it playing crappy zone defense half the game. If you can stomp a mud hole in somebody, DO IT. I guarantee you that UAB is going to take the check if we beat them 63-14. And if they don't like us scoring that many on us, they can give us the check back.

I'd like to see the starters play at least three quarters in every game with the back-ups mixed in as in not subbed in wholesale until the fourth quarter assuming we are up big. Because for me, it's not about beating UT-Martin 70-0 on homecoming. It's about using an inferior opponent to keep our guys sharp. And I think you do that by running offense and PLAYING people and not treating those games like scrimmages. That's how you get ready for Alabama. And run defense too- blitz, do whatever.

Like this past year, we really didn't have much of a deep passing game. We should have been working on that during OOC games so we could USE that when we played Alabama. Those OOC games we should be sharpening our iron.