PDA

View Full Version : Some of this Orange Bowl confidence reminds me of pre Egg Bowl 2014....

CadaverDawg
12-08-2014, 11:18 PM
If you guys think we walk in there and roll Georgia Tech, I'm afraid you may be disappointed. I have been watching some videos of their games and they are a well oiled machine. I actually think this may turn in to a high scoring game....much like their game vs FSU. What worries me is the way our defense didnt tackle well against Lil Sis. We better be playing smart and tackling well, or this team will make us look stupid.

I have no doubt that we will be the best front 7 they've faced all season....but it will be the best run game we've faced all season too. I truly hope we prepare hard and Mullen doesn't screw around in this game. We can lose to this team, and it will take us playing well to win. Nothing would suck worse than to end a really good season with a loss to a team that we SHOULD match up well with.

Again, not saying we will lose....but this game is FAR from the cakewalk I've seen many people act like it is.

Maybe I'm misreading some of these comments though.

I just really want to win this game.

TheRef
12-08-2014, 11:25 PM
GT is a very good team. I'm glad we have a QB in our system that ran the triple-option in HS so that we can try and simulate their offense the best we can. Their defense was pretty good during the ACCCG. I'm not sure if they'll use the same offensive gameplan against us that they used against FSU, since they refused to pass until the second quarter...

If I'm the GT OC, I will run, run, run, run, run, PA Pass long. But that's just me. Bring you in with the runs (like their beast of a FB that gets at least 1-2 YPC), then throw it over the top with a PA pass.

Bully13
12-08-2014, 11:25 PM
I want to win this game but I have absolutely no confidence at all that we will. this is 2012 all over again. time to regroup for '15.

we wasted a golden opportunity. we shit the bed in epic proportions and there is no way we play inspired football in Miami. Dan let this team collapse and he should be ashamed. this team will not be mentally able to play at the level they are capable of . . I do think he will be able to regroup for next year but right now we are the suck.

hells bells
12-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Ga Tech runs the triple option a lot. State will need a attacking defense, cannot wait for the play. Offense will need to put up numbers and can. Mullen needs to replay the EB one time then show back to back the LSU, TAM and Aubie game. Get the mojo back. They got their work cut out for them. Damn tuff team.

thf24
12-08-2014, 11:57 PM
To be completely honest, my number one hope for the game is that we come out of it without any significant injuries to any of our young or NFL-aspiring d-linemen. Those relentless cut blocks may be legal, but they sure take a toll on opposing defensive fronts.

mstatefan91
12-09-2014, 02:49 AM
I want to win this game but I have absolutely no confidence at all that we will. this is 2012 all over again. time to regroup for '15.

we wasted a golden opportunity. we shit the bed in epic proportions and there is no way we play inspired football in Miami. Dan let this team collapse and he should be ashamed. this team will not be mentally able to play at the level they are capable of . . I do think he will be able to regroup for next year but right now we are the suck.

I hope our team doesn't share your attitude. We have a lot to play for. An 11-2 season (first 11 win season in our history btw). A chance to shift the national perception of our program and earn a high pre-season rank. All of this directly influences recruiting as well.

We also have different leadership on this team as compared to 2012. Don't forget that and underestimate it. I expect the Dak/J-Rob train to be fully operational. Will come down to our defense playing sound inspired football. We must win the line of scrimmage

bulldawg28
12-09-2014, 03:23 AM
My concern is our corners setting the edge against those sweeps and outside runs. This game is the worst thing to happen to some of them.

BrunswickDawg
12-09-2014, 07:14 AM
GT is a very good team. I'm glad we have a QB in our system that ran the triple-option in HS so that we can try and simulate their offense the best we can.
Ref, if you are staying in Starkville during the break try to get out to a practice. Fitz will blow you away running this offense for the scout team. He is as good or better than GT's QB at that system. Honestly, I think he will spend some time torching our D, and hope it motivate them to learn how to defend it.

Fred Garvin
12-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Georgia Tech is playing very well. Their quarterback is very athletic which we seem to have trouble with. He can throw as well as run. Their top receiver is out with an ACL, but they still have good receiver in 88. We've got to be disciplined with the option and stay with our assignments.

msstate7
12-09-2014, 08:16 AM
We'll be fine. The 2 teams that beat us are #1 and #4 in scoring defense. GT is 52nd. Our offense will be able to move the ball and our defense will feed off it.

Key stat -- GT is 122d in passing offense. We're 125th in pass defense. Will they get away from what they do best to try and exploit our weakness? I hope they do.

FlabLoser
12-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Ga Tech runs the triple option a lot. State will need a attacking defense, cannot wait for the play.

I think we need just the opposite. We need assignment defense. Everybody fill their gap, take their man. Contain and keep everything in the middle. Last thing you want is people shooting through things and leaving gaps.

Answer me this...Coach57 or whoever...in an offense like GT's (or like our's even), couldn't a defense force a QB to make the read that the defense wants him to read, and then play into the decision the QB makes? Have the DE crash down so the play goes outside. Meanwhile, the LBs are expecting the play to go outside, so they are already running that way. Something like that.

BeardoMSU
12-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Jesus Christ...go back to the politics board, 13.

LC Dawg
12-09-2014, 09:17 AM
I remember a couple of years back seeing that Georgia Tech led the nation in pass completions over 50 yards. They lull you to sleep with the run and then go over the top and catch you off guard. I've only seen them play against FSU but the qb looks like he can throw pretty well. I say this is a pretty big test for our defensive staff to see how we handle this offense with this much time to prepare.

Johnson85
12-09-2014, 09:40 AM
If you guys think we walk in there and roll Georgia Tech, I'm afraid you may be disappointed. I have been watching some videos of their games and they are a well oiled machine. I actually think this may turn in to a high scoring game....much like their game vs FSU. What worries me is the way our defense didnt tackle well against Lil Sis. We better be playing smart and tackling well, or this team will make us look stupid.

I have no doubt that we will be the best front 7 they've faced all season....but it will be the best run game we've faced all season too. I truly hope we prepare hard and Mullen doesn't screw around in this game. We can lose to this team, and it will take us playing well to win. Nothing would suck worse than to end a really good season with a loss to a team that we SHOULD match up well with.

Again, not saying we will lose....but this game is FAR from the cakewalk I've seen many people act like it is.

Maybe I'm misreading some of these comments though.

I just really want to win this game.

It won't be a cake walk but it is a game where if we prepare and show up to play, we will win barring some bad luck with turnovers. If we lose because of turnovers, I will be disappointed but that happens. If we lose because we come out with the energy and game plan we had for the egg bowl, or like we did in the last gator bowl, I will be seriously worried about this staff. I think Northwestern was just an odd situation where we had tension on the coaching staff that flowed down to the players and had Mullen in a funk, and even then that was probably the one game where Russell truly just completely shit the bed and even a mediocre performance by him would have allowed us to win. But I will admit I'm nervous after the effort put out in the egg bowl. Pretty much every team has a game like that over the course of the season, it's just hard for me to imagine that we came out flat in a rivalry game with playoff implications. Hopefully we will find out in the egg bowl that was all it was; just one of those random turd sandwhiches that come with being a college football fan, and not an indication of a problem with our staff or players.

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm as confident about a bowl win as I have been in a long time.

This is simply a great matchup for us. If we lose, it is 100% on the coaches unless we turn it over about 5 times.

dawgpound
12-09-2014, 10:08 AM
GT has a very efficient offense. One of the most boring offenses to ever watch but they are efficient.

Liverpooldawg
12-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Out of the three teams that were possibilities I would much rather play Tech because of our pass defense. That doesn't mean I think it will be a cake walk, because it won't be. I just like our chances better with a running team. Forget this "it doesn't matter" crap above. Win and we will finish in the Top 10 for the first time in almost all of our living memories. There is a LOT to play for.

FlabLoser
12-09-2014, 10:35 AM
GT has a very efficient offense. One of the most boring offenses to ever watch but they are efficient.

I find all that misdirection and stuff fun to watch.

Tdawg
12-09-2014, 11:23 AM
This is a bad matchup for Georgia Tech. They don't really exploit the areas in which we are weak and their defenses weaknesses matchup up against. Our confidence prior to the Egg Bowl was a function Ole Miss' recent play as we all knew throughout the season that Ole Miss' passing game was a bad matchup for our defense.

LC Dawg
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I find all that misdirection and stuff fun to watch.

I agree. When that offense is run well it's fun to watch.

drunkernhelldawg
12-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Friend, this is totally over the top. You've got to remember that the teams we lost to are two of the most talented teams in the country. You've got to remember that athletes are human and perform less than perfectly at times. You've got to remember that the other team wants to win. If you want to look at this season so negatively, you are just wrong. This is a great season and the Orange Bowl is an exciting opportunity. Get out of November and Be Here Now.

defiantdog
12-09-2014, 12:25 PM
This game will be a battle of ball control. We both like to hold the ball for a long time.

DownwardDawg
12-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Wow. I love watching them play.