PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I wasted hours watching our basketball game Sat afternoon on ESPN3

West Houston Dog
12-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I understand Ray took over a horrible situation 3 years back. But dang, our program is just flat dormant and what I saw Sat at Tulane didn't give me any more hope. No outside shooting, clunking of free throws, and Tulane driving time after time after time to the basket for a score. Our defense didn't have a clue how to stop it. Heck, I would have switched to a triangle and 2 zone defense to pack defenders around the basket(even if we have NOT practiced it...couldn't have hurt over the ineffective defense we were playing). they were killing us from inside. Can't say I saw one Bulldog who impressed me.

We did not seem any better than what I watched last year. And the couple of games I saw last year from the Hump, our crowd was DEAD on tv. It seemed so quiet in there, you could sneeze on one end of the coliseum and hear it on the other end. Sure is different from several years back when the HUMP was loud, boisterous and intimidating to the opposing teams.

Unless there is some big turnaround this season, the AD needs to be quietly researching other coaching candidates. I understand we are not going to get a bigtime coach,nor maybe even a midlevel successful coach. But something needs to be done if there is not marked improvement this season. Right now, this program is just plain comatose. I was hoping maybe we could win enough games to make the NIT. It could still happen I know.....the season is young. But the gunk I saw Sat afternoon at Tulane was pretty discouraging......

Jack Lambert
12-08-2014, 02:59 PM
I am still hopeful he turns it around and will remain that way until C-34 comes out and says different. When he give up on Ray then I know it's time for him to go.

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I am still hopeful he turns it around and will remain that way until C-34 comes out and says different. When he give up on Ray then I know it's time for him to go.

You up for another 10-15 year argument? It's Malik or bust at this point for Ricky Ray. he needs Zuppardo back healthy and Malik next year. He gets those two and we could be a top 4 team in the SEC, make the tournament, and potentially make a tourney run.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Other than his first 2 recruiting classes, that's the most disappointed I have been in Ray. I'm still giving him a little bit of a break because we are playing without our best player in Craig Sword. But Ray needs to figure out his rotations.

Ware at the 4 and Ndoye at the 5 sounds nice, but it looked awful. Bloodman and Ready playing together the last 6 minutes of the first half every game always leads to a run by the other team. I just don't get those 2 together. Even if Ready can hit a shot, he can't matchup against D1 two guards.

PG is a huge problem spot and we are terrible in transition. If you have a team that can't shoot and is undersized, you have to at least be good in transition. We just need to find someone to bring it down the court and get us in our offense, preferably Sword.

I would go with this starting 5:

PG: Sword
SG: Thomas
SF: Daniels
PF: Roc Johnson
C: Ware

Then Houston would be my first man off the bench and would garner the 6th most minutes. The other guys on the roster would only play spot duty.

CadaverDawg
12-08-2014, 03:10 PM
http://knuckleballsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/fanswearingbags.jpg

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Black should be eating up some of Daniels and Ndoye's minutes IMO. Kid can move the ball on offense and makes us more dynamic on that side of the floor. Daniels can shoot, but he isn't valuing possessions like he should IMO. If he can do that, it would make him a much better contributor.

engie
12-08-2014, 03:17 PM
We've got to have Daniels, Ready, and Houston get the sticks out of their asses and start shooting how they are capable. Currently all 3 really struggling -- when I know all 3 of them can shoot it.

I was pretty perturbed Saturday as well. Just a total shitburger. We've got to learn how to play on the road...

drunkernhelldawg
12-08-2014, 03:22 PM
The disaster continues. The thing that gives me hope is that we're competing defensively. If we can just make some shots, we might be able to win a few more. Whoever thought blowing up a program was a good idea needs a bomb set up under his ass. Let's not try that again.

shannondawg
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
From someone that goes to both the men's/women's games says he believes the women are going to eventually have more attendance than the Rays team. Certainly playing better.

By the way, Saturday was Renaldo Sidney's birthday, I wonder if coach sent him a card, he was instrumental in getting rid of coaches arch enemy.

Big4Dawg
12-08-2014, 03:25 PM
We've got to have Daniels, Ready, and Houston get the sticks out of their asses and start shooting how they are capable. Currently all 3 really struggling -- when I know all 3 of them can shoot it.

I was pretty perturbed Saturday as well. Just a total shitburger. We've got to learn how to play on the road...

I could count the number of people at game Saturday. I really hope that amount of people couldn't get in their head. They should be use to playing at an empty venue by now.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Black should be eating up some of Daniels and Ndoye's minutes IMO. Kid can move the ball on offense and makes us more dynamic on that side of the floor. Daniels can shoot, but he isn't valuing possessions like he should IMO. If he can do that, it would make him a much better contributor.

Daniels can score, but he can't dribble. That's why I like him more at the stretch 4. By playing the stretch 4, he can bring his man out of the box and open up space for Ware. That also allows him to just catch and shoot. Daniels just doesn't have a good enough handle to play the 3. I would bring in Houston at the 3 and slide down Daniels at the 4 and take out Roc.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 03:30 PM

Houston is not much of a shooter right now. He's an elite athlete, but his skill level is not up to his athleticism. I still want to see his minutes increase b/c of his upside, his transition game, his defense, and lack of better options.

engie
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
And before someone makes it into a long, drawn out battle -- I have zero problem breaking down individual performances and calling shortcomings/trends both good and bad.

It's trying to apply every single game to the big picture that I take issue with. Both with the "See, Ray is the guy for the JOB!!1! after St Louis" -- and the "See, Ray is the Suck!!1!1 after TCU and Tulane".

We've shot horribly the past 2 games. We've got to get our 1 and 3 spots to shooting to the level they are capable of. If we don't hit shots, we become easily defensible and aren't going to win very much. I thought TCU just beat us. Tulane was a bit of bad luck on our part with alot of good shots that normally fall for us rimming out -- and them sinking practically everything when it mattered. We played "young" in that game -- and that's the most disappointing part seeing how experienced we actually are.

Either way, I don't expect either loss to be bad RPI losses because of the SOS both will face going forward and the fact that they were away from the Hump(helps RPI), but they certainly aren't going to bolster our NIT chances.

One thing on our shooting woes -- it's on Ray to an extent. He's seemingly so punishing for "bad shot selections" that you can literally see our guys second guess themselves when they are open on shots they should drain. That slight mental hesitation screws with their confidence/stroke and they leave shots they would normally make on the front of the rim alot. We've got guys that are good "physical" shooters -- but currently Fred Thomas is the only one that has the "mental" aspect of shooting/pulling the trigger down. Which is the exact scenario he faced for his first 2 years before having the light bulb come on after sitting the game last year. Ray can't afford to scare our shooters into taking 3 years into being able to make shots for him. I don't know the exact solution -- but there's got to be a happy medium...

engie
12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Houston is not much of a shooter right now. He's an elite athlete, but his skill level is not up to his athleticism. I still want to see his minutes increase b/c of his upside, his transition game, his defense, and lack of better options.

Houston should be a 32-35% 3P shooter right now if he was playing up to his skill level. He's been timid, but the stroke is there, and will get hot at some point in time IMO...

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2014, 03:46 PM
I understand Ray took over a horrible situation 3 years back. But dang, our program is just flat dormant and what I saw Sat at Tulane didn't give me any more hope. No outside shooting, clunking of free throws, and Tulane driving time after time after time to the basket for a score. Our defense didn't have a clue how to stop it. Heck, I would have switched to a triangle and 2 zone defense to pack defenders around the basket(even if we have NOT practiced it...couldn't have hurt over the ineffective defense we were playing). they were killing us from inside. Can't say I saw one Bulldog who impressed me.

We did not seem any better than what I watched last year. And the couple of games I saw last year from the Hump, our crowd was DEAD on tv. It seemed so quiet in there, you could sneeze on one end of the coliseum and hear it on the other end. Sure is different from several years back when the HUMP was loud, boisterous and intimidating to the opposing teams.

Unless there is some big turnaround this season, the AD needs to be quietly researching other coaching candidates. I understand we are not going to get a bigtime coach,nor maybe even a midlevel successful coach. But something needs to be done if there is not marked improvement this season. Right now, this program is just plain comatose. I was hoping maybe we could win enough games to make the NIT. It could still happen I know.....the season is young. But the gunk I saw Sat afternoon at Tulane was pretty discouraging......

You are a better fan than me. Im not angry anymore at Ray/Stans or the MSU basketball program. I genuinely don't care. I didn't even remember that we played until I saw something on twitter about the score. I guess Im hoping for an NIT bid, but to be honest I don't care either way.

I hope we get Malik and we become relevant again. Hoping to break .500 and get an NIT bid is just depressing.

drunkernhelldawg
12-08-2014, 03:46 PM
And before someone makes it into a long, drawn out battle -- I have zero problem breaking down individual performances and calling shortcomings/trends both good and bad.

It's trying to apply every single game to the big picture that I take issue with. Both with the "See, Ray is the guy for the JOB!!1! after St Louis" -- and the "See, Ray is the Suck!!1!1 after TCU and Tulane".

We've shot horribly the past 2 games. We've got to get our 1 and 3 spots to shooting to the level they are capable of. If we don't hit shots, we become easily defensible and aren't going to win very much. I thought TCU just beat us. Tulane was a bit of bad luck on our part with alot of good shots that normally fall for us rimming out -- and them sinking practically everything when it mattered. We played "young" in that game -- and that's the most disappointing part seeing how experienced we actually are.

Either way, I don't expect either loss to be bad RPI losses because of the SOS both will face going forward and the fact that they were away from the Hump(helps RPI), but they certainly aren't going to bolster our NIT chances.

One thing on our shooting woes -- it's on Ray to an extent. He's seemingly so punishing for "bad shot selections" that you can literally see our guys second guess themselves when they are open on shots they should drain. That slight mental hesitation screws with their confidence/stroke and they leave shots they would normally make on the front of the rim alot. We've got guys that are good "physical" shooters -- but currently Fred Thomas is the only one that has the "mental" aspect of shooting/pulling the trigger down. Which is the exact scenario he faced for his first 2 years before having the light bulb come on after sitting the game last year. Ray can't afford to scare our shooters into taking 3 years into being able to make shots for him. I don't know the exact solution -- but there's got to be a happy medium...

That's really the cause for hope: Shooting is one thing that can be improved.

Dawg61
12-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Ready and Bloodman aren't helping. We need two 6'4 PG that can shoot added to the roster. There's probably 100 of them in Chicago alone. Recruit the PG and SG positions up north where they know how to shoot.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Ready and Bloodman aren't helping. We need two 6'4 PG that can shoot added to the roster. There's probably 100 of them in Chicago alone. Recruit the PG and SG positions up north where they know how to shoot.

We've added another 5'10 PG in this class. He can shoot though.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 03:58 PM
That's really the cause for hope: Shooting is one thing that can be improved.

Not really, not with this team. Fred and Daniels can knock down shots. That's about it.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 04:00 PM
You are a better fan than me. Im not angry anymore at Ray/Stans or the MSU basketball program. I genuinely don't care. I didn't even remember that we played until I saw something on twitter about the score. I guess Im hoping for an NIT bid, but to be honest I don't care either way.

I hope we get Malik and we become relevant again. Hoping to break .500 and get an NIT bid is just depressing.

Malik would bring fans back to the gym, but I just don't think Ray has brough in enough pieces around Newman to entice him to sign.

maroonmania
12-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Bottom line is we have no shotmakers. Our defense is normally decent although we certainly looked lost at times this past Saturday. Either got beat with backdoor cuts or on a few occasions just left somebody all alone standing under the goal. And that doesn't even account for the times that we left perimeter guys wide open for a 3 (but that is more routine for us). Our guards, on the road especially, are useless for scoring. Daniels, Ware and RJohnson were our only double digit scorers this last game. The sad part was that it was pretty obvious that Tulane is NOT a good team. I expect another loss this Saturday at Oregon State. You can't hardly play good enough defense to make up for our pathetic offensive skills on the road.

Brahmabull
12-08-2014, 04:13 PM
If you follow any of the SEC teams, outside of Kentucky the rest of the conference is garbage. Heck, even Arkansas who was ranked 18th looked terrible at Clemson.

engie
12-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Malik would bring fans back to the gym, but I just don't think Ray has brough in enough pieces around Newman to entice him to sign.

I'd think Weatherspoon and Velma Jackson beating Calloway and him outplaying Malik would work in our favor quite a bit...

HoopsDawg
12-08-2014, 04:17 PM
I'd think Weatherspoon and Velma Jackson beating Calloway and him outplaying Malik would work in our favor quite a bit...

Spoon is pretty good. That and just playing close to home. He also knows he will have the opportunity to be the man and get his shots. I just wish we had another big man to help Ware out down low. I would put our chances below 50%.

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2014, 04:17 PM

I know everyone thinks that signing Malik somehow makes us a tourney team, but I don't see it. Maybe he would, but it would be a stretch. Also, he better make the tourney, because lets dream for a second that Malik does come, that will be Ray's one shot. Reason is that we lose Sword, Ware, Fred Thomas, Travis Daniels, and Malik in one season? Im worried we would be right back to the 2013 season.

If anything, Ray better get Malik because we aren't making tourney this year, and next year is the last year of talent that has shown the ability to do anything. Its 2015/16 or bust at this point.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-08-2014, 04:21 PM
It was terrible. Our shot selection was so bad it was infuriating.

maroonmania
12-08-2014, 04:23 PM
I know everyone thinks that signing Malik somehow makes us a tourney team, but I don't see it. Maybe he would, but it would be a stretch. Also, he better make the tourney, because lets dream for a second that Malik does come, that will be Ray's one shot. Reason is that we lose Sword, Ware, Fred Thomas, Travis Daniels, and Malik in one season? Im worried we would be right back to the 2013 season.

If anything, Ray better get Malik because we aren't making tourney this year, and next year is the last year of talent that has shown the ability to do anything. Its 2015/16 or bust at this point.

That's because Ray had Stans' recruits the first year and then the next 2 years were very weak as Ray was trying to figure out how to recruit at his new job. Seems to have things going pretty well now but, you are correct, after next year it will be a major youth movement again.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
You up for another 10-15 year argument? It's Malik or bust at this point for Ricky Ray. he needs Zuppardo back healthy and Malik next year. He gets those two and we could be a top 4 team in the SEC, make the tournament, and potentially make a tourney run.

Well I don't argue basketball in fact I don't argue on message boards. I have learn to listen to C-34 when it comes to State Basketball. When he gives up on Ray than I will give up on Ray.

Irondawg
12-08-2014, 04:36 PM
The main problem I have right now is the offense we are trying to run I think is really designed for talents he doesn't have. We have no outside shooting and we are a poor passing team. That makes it extremely difficult to get the ball into Ware, which is our primary goal on offense.

Now teams are thus going to continue to play us a lot of zone, but anybody that goes man I would like to see us be much more attacking toward the basket. One thing we do have is some better athletes this year than can pound the offensive glass and get garbage buckets. We should try to take 10 or less 3's a game and simply try to live in the lane. It wouldn't always be pretty because we don't have a lot of creators but we've got a find a way to jumpstart the offense against teams of equal size.

Our good shooting games came against teams that were physically overmatched for the most part and those games are now off the schedule. It's hard b/c the eye test says we're much better athletically but the #'s are turning around with that.

Personally I'm a big fan of being PG driven unless you have STUD shooting guard/small forward that can handle the ball. And while both our PG have positive A:TO ratios they aren't really creating a bunch of shots for the offense based on their play.

starkvegasdawg
12-08-2014, 05:34 PM
On a positive note, we've gone a couple weeks without anyone blowing out a knee.

maroonmania
12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
On a positive note, we've gone a couple weeks without anyone blowing out a knee.

+1

Percho
12-08-2014, 07:06 PM
I would bet we missed over 10 point blank layups against Tulane. When that happens it is just one of those days. Take Z Bo for instance on days he can't make a layup is it because all of a sudden he can't shoot, or is it just one of those days. Roz's missed a bunch himself.