PDA

View Full Version : Dan Is Getting an Extension

TheRef
12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Chris Low
@ClowESPN
Miss State's Dan Mullen will be next in SEC to cash in. His AD working on an extension now. Mullen gets my vote as SEC Coach of the Year.

DownwardDawg
12-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Hard headed #>*#er is the best coach we've had since the '40's.

thf24
12-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Hard headed #>*#er is the best coach we've had since the '40's.

Yep, and if he can get over the hard-headed stuff, the sky is the limit.

CadaverDawg
12-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Well deserved. He's the best coach we've had in a long long time. If he can learn from the few mistakes he is making, and be a little less hard headed, he can make a shit ton of money and have a career at MSU for as long as he wants. Hire a Special Teams coach, and open that play book against Bama and Ole Miss, and you'll eventually earn yourself a statue if you keep this up, Danno!

jimbo352
12-08-2014, 11:26 AM
What's everyone thinking the extension will be worth?

3.5+ million and more for assistants....? Or will this extension be focused primarily on Mullen. Is it possible we give him more than 4 million?

CadaverDawg
12-08-2014, 11:30 AM
What's everyone thinking the extension will be worth?

3.5+ million and more for assistants....? Or will this extension be focused primarily on Mullen. Is it possible we give him more than 4 million?

I'm thinking just under 4 mil, and a bump for the assistants. Which I'm good with.

I'm sure Woody, err, Hevesy will get a raise too...even if the others don't.** (I kid, I kid)

Westdawg
12-08-2014, 11:34 AM
i would like to see it at 3.8+ plus some great incentives, like $100k per win against Bama, Auburn, and LSU, and 150k for TSUN. then make a significant increase in pay for staff. take the additional that would put him above 4.1 mill and use it to give some hefty bonuses for the staff. would be nice to have about 350k to use towards staff

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 11:34 AM
he's the best coach we've ever had. No one else has ever had 5 winning seasons in a row & 5 bowls in a row.

BossDawg
12-08-2014, 11:55 AM
i would like to see it at 3.8+ plus some great incentives, like $100k per win against Bama, Auburn, and LSU, and 150k for TSUN. then make a significant increase in pay for staff. take the additional that would put him above 4.1 mill and use it to give some hefty bonuses for the staff. would be nice to have about 350k to use towards staff

This most definitely. I'd like to see the staff get some extra cash for every conference win, especially in the West.

Johnson85
12-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Well deserved. He's the best coach we've had in a long long time. If he can learn from the few mistakes he is making, and be a little less hard headed, he can make a shit ton of money and have a career at MSU for as long as he wants. Hire a Special Teams coach, and open that play book against Bama and Ole Miss, and you'll eventually earn yourself a statue if you keep this up, Danno!

He can continue to be hard headed and make the same mistakes he's been making and can make a shit ton of money and have a career at MSU for as long as he wants. I'm not sure there's any coach other than saban that doesn't have flaws that are obvious to their fans (and even Bama fans aren't crazy to bitch about Saban not being willing to use a scholly on a good kicker). The coaching staff shit the bed in one game this year (Bama wasn't shitting the bed; even if it wasn't their best performance the coaching was good enough for us to have a chance to win that game). Bama's coaching staff shit the bed in Oxford also, finishing the game with a TB averaging over 6 yards a carry yet trying to win with the pass. I think Mullen has been getting better and expect him to continue to get better, but if he spends another 10 years not getting special teams figured out and putting us out of one game a year with coaching, that will be ok too.

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Jimbo Fisher is the only coach in the country that didn't STB this year on the field, but he sure did off it. So, even the Mighty Little Nicky let Cool Kid Kiffin get cute and stop pounding the rock against Ole Miss.

DownwardDawg
12-08-2014, 12:23 PM
He can continue to be hard headed and make the same mistakes he's been making and can make a shit ton of money and have a career at MSU for as long as he wants. I'm not sure there's any coach other than saban that doesn't have flaws that are obvious to their fans (and even Bama fans aren't crazy to bitch about Saban not being willing to use a scholly on a good kicker). The coaching staff shit the bed in one game this year (Bama wasn't shitting the bed; even if it wasn't their best performance the coaching was good enough for us to have a chance to win that game). Bama's coaching staff shit the bed in Oxford also, finishing the game with a TB averaging over 6 yards a carry yet trying to win with the pass. I think Mullen has been getting better and expect him to continue to get better, but if he spends another 10 years not getting special teams figured out and putting us out of one game a year with coaching, that will be ok too.

Saban does his share of bed shitting also. He's not the best game day coach. He's the best overall coach but he gets out coached on game day occasionally.

dawgs
12-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Jimbo Fisher is the only coach in the country that didn't STB this year on the field, but he sure did off it. So, even the Mighty Little Nicky let Cool Kid Kiffin get cute and stop pounding the rock against Ole Miss.

If argue the general crappiness of the rest of the ACC is the only reason jimbo didn't shit the bed with a L. They certainly put themselves in position to get beaten against far inferior opponents damn near weekly only to pull it out due to superior talent.

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 01:11 PM
If argue the general crappiness of the rest of the ACC is the only reason jimbo didn't shit the bed with a L. They certainly put themselves in position to get beaten against far inferior opponents damn near weekly only to pull it out due to superior talent.

true. which begs the question of whether a team can really go undefeated anymore in a true power conference. Only FSU did it... With more and more games added to the schedule it's going to be harder and harder to go unscathed.

dawgs
12-08-2014, 01:29 PM
true. which begs the question of whether a team can really go undefeated anymore in a true power conference. Only FSU did it... With more and more games added to the schedule it's going to be harder and harder to go unscathed.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

The influx of $$ helps the bama's and texas's of the CFB world a little bit, but it really helps the msu's and baylor's and tcu's a whole lot more.

EAVdog
12-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Give Mullen 5mil a year plus money for assistants. With a fat buyout clause.Make a damn statement that Mullen ain't going anywhere ever unless we want him to. Set this thing up for the long haul.

MetEdDawg
12-08-2014, 01:36 PM

I think in the next 4 years you are going to see all power 5 conferences go to a 9 game conference schedule, a required power 5 non conference opponent, and a conference championship game. There has to be some equality to this process of evaluating teams and to me this is the most logical way to do it.

I think either next year or the year after the Big 12 will go ahead and put the championship in because they clearly saw it hurt them on selection day. Then you will see conferences try and beef up their teams resumes by adding a 9th conference game like the Big 12. Then it will move to playing a power 5 non conference every year like the SEC is requiring. All of these different rules make it hard to judge teams on an equal footing.

At some point I think the overall fix is that the Power 5 HAVE to branch off by themselves. It's the only way to regulate this across the board in my opinion.

NCDawg
12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking just under 4 mil, and a bump for the assistants. Which I'm good with.

I'm sure Woody, err, Hevesy will get a raise too...even if the others don't.** (I kid, I kid)

Yeah, I'm sure Woody will get a raise, too. Wish we could get enough money to hire someone like Orgeron and maybe he could recruit enough quality offensive linemen to help us win the SEC West. It gets pretty old seeing our OL get dominated like they were in the Ole Miss game.

DLGDawg
12-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Just throw this out there....but lets just play,..idk....5 conf games. Then rotate with the other power 5. Make all of em play more sec teams. I know that will never happen but something has to be done to even things out.

I think in the next 4 years you are going to see all power 5 conferences go to a 9 game conference schedule, a required power 5 non conference opponent, and a conference championship game. There has to be some equality to this process of evaluating teams and to me this is the most logical way to do it.

I think either next year or the year after the Big 12 will go ahead and put the championship in because they clearly saw it hurt them on selection day. Then you will see conferences try and beef up their teams resumes by adding a 9th conference game like the Big 12. Then it will move to playing a power 5 non conference every year like the SEC is requiring. All of these different rules make it hard to judge teams on an equal footing.

At some point I think the overall fix is that the Power 5 HAVE to branch off by themselves. It's the only way to regulate this across the board in my opinion.

TheRef
12-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Just throw this out there....but lets just play,..idk....5 conf games. Then rotate with the other power 5. Make all of em play more sec teams. I know that will never happen but something has to be done to even things out.

You would need at least 6 if you want everyone to play each other in the division.

DLGDawg
12-08-2014, 02:01 PM
True. Then rotate. Screw the east. Let's just make the other P4 play more sec schools.
You would need at least 6 if you want everyone to play each other in the division.

engie
12-08-2014, 02:04 PM

I like it.

- 8 team playoff.
- 9 game conference schedule for everyone.
- 1 OOC Power 5 matchup for everyone.
- Conference Championship for everyone pitting the two best teams in each conference against each other(do away with divisional requirements). This essentially doubles the size of the playoffs. 5 autobids to conference champions. 3 at-larges to best non-champion resumes.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2014, 02:05 PM

The problem with a 9 game conference schedule is that one team plays 5 home games and 4 road games, and the other plays 4 home games and 5 road games.

Wait till Bama loses the SEC West due to this.

If we go 9 conference games, I would be interested in seeing 1 conference neutral sight game a year in either Atlanta or New Orleans. That way all teams play 4 at home and 4 on the road.

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 02:11 PM

you'd get the same impact by the power 5 just breaking off by itself. We'd only play SEC games and then 3-4 power five opponents. Would be fun to watch... but it would absolutely destroy the non-power 5's athletic departments.

DLGDawg
12-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Great point. And it would do just that.

I'm mainly just thinking out loud here. Wish we could all get paid as much as the P5 conf heads for our ideas. Lol

you'd get the same impact by the power 5 just breaking off by itself. We'd only play SEC games and then 3-4 power five opponents. Would be fun to watch... but it would absolutely destroy the non-power 5's athletic departments.

MetEdDawg
12-08-2014, 02:29 PM
The problem with a 9 game conference schedule is that one team plays 5 home games and 4 road games, and the other plays 4 home games and 5 road games.

If we go 9 conference games, I would be interested in seeing 1 conference neutral sight game a year in either Atlanta or New Orleans. That way all teams play 4 at home and 4 on the road.

I like this. I think you could find a neutral site game for every team every year no problem. Designate towns in the southeast to host neutral site games. Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Nashville, Jackson, New Orleans, Mobile, Houston, just to name some that instantly come to mind that are good sized cities that could host something like that.

I think it's a great brand expansion opportunity because it gives fans of teams the opportunity to go watch SEC football in their area while still being close enough to the central fan bases for travel to not be an issue. I like this idea

DawgPoundtheRock
12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

I think that you would need to play your divisional games on a home and away basis. This leaves three cross divisional games. Do away with the permanent cross divisional game. Then there could be a number of ways to approach cross divisional games. One would be to have the other division teams rotate on for three years. Play a home, away and neutral. The draw back is that players would not get to face every team in the league during their tenure, but that is the case now.

Johnson85
12-08-2014, 03:14 PM

I bet there were a handful of other coaches that didn't, or at least didn't do so to the extent that it cost them a game they otherwise would have won. But once you get into a power conference and have a team that can legitimately compete for a national championship, you're usually going to have 8 or 9 chances to STB, and every coach is going to STB in most years, even if you have an elite coach that manages to avoid it for an entire season once in a blue moon.