PDA

View Full Version : Biggest thing I got out of today is....

maroonmania
12-08-2014, 12:22 AM
that every CFP playoff ranking prior to the last one is total garbage and not even worth discussion. I mean TCU wins by 52 and falls 3 spots? Neither of the MSUs even got on the field this past weekend and magically flip flop in the rankings?

The early rankings are obviously useless and for entertainment purposes only.

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Yep, I said that all along. The early ones were obviously forced by the world wide leader. It would be better if they only did it at the end like in basketball.

justwin
12-08-2014, 01:07 AM
all this playoff does is give the rest of the country 2 chances to beat the SEC in the NC.

Bama is going to win it all

shoeless joe
12-08-2014, 07:49 AM
It's not all that hard to understand. After bama beat Mizzou like they did the committee realized that our resume, losing on the road at bama and losing on the road to the only team to beat bama, was more impressive than it was in previous weeks. Same for FSU. They beat a good football on a neutral site and deserved to be bumped to #3.

As for Ohio state and the big12 schools I really think the committee decided that OSU was playing like one of the top 4 teams. And once Baylor beat k state their resume was almost identical to TCU but they beat TCU so they went ahead of them. I think what people keep missing is that resume's change week to week and this committee took that into account. It is not like the old polls where teams stand pat.

And to me this is no way proves or disproves whether 2 SEC teams could have gotten in. Had we beaten OM we'd been in the discussion. I mean look where we ended up anyway. I think we woulda been 4-5 had we won.

starkvegasdawg
12-08-2014, 07:55 AM
We also saw that there is a huge emphasis on being conference champion. That looks, this year at least, to be the one of the main factors they considered. We might as well face it. If we want to play for a national title we have got to get to Atlanta. While the playoff remains at 4 teams I think the committee will be under too much pressure to award a conference champion over a second SEC team that does not even make the SECCG.

msstate7
12-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Looks to me that they scraped their own top 25 and just used the old bcs program

maroonmania
12-08-2014, 09:54 AM
It would have been really interesting if we had beaten OM in the EB to put the pressure on the committee to see if they would leave in a non-champion with the same number of losses as a conference champion like Ohio St. or Baylor. THAT would have made a huge statement going forward on the importance of a conference championship. For now its still somewhat of an unknown since no non-champion had less than 2 losses.

RougeDawg
12-08-2014, 10:43 AM
It would have been really interesting if we had beaten OM in the EB to put the pressure on the committee to see if they would leave in a non-champion with the same number of losses as a conference champion like Ohio St. or Baylor. THAT would have made a huge statement going forward on the importance of a conference championship. For now its still somewhat of an unknown since no non-champion had less than 2 losses.

The committee is probably sending Mullen and Collins some hefty holiday gift baskets for their EB game planning and in game adjustments. Those two single handedly took more pressure off the committee, than any other people in college football.

dawgs
12-08-2014, 11:01 AM
We also saw that there is a huge emphasis on being conference champion. That looks, this year at least, to be the one of the main factors they considered. We might as well face it. If we want to play for a national title we have got to get to Atlanta. While the playoff remains at 4 teams I think the committee will be under too much pressure to award a conference champion over a second SEC team that does not even make the SECCG.

I disagree. We don't know where conf champions fell in the pecking order. Every team considered was at least a co-champ. The difference imo was that tcu's SoS took a big hit in the last weekend, while Ohio st's got a nice boost. Ohio st played 9 bowl eligible teams, whereas tcu played 7 and baylor played 6. To me that's the difference.