PDA

View Full Version : Donald Gray Highlights

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2941460/highlights/214508392

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2014, 11:08 PM
If that cat isn't returning punts for us next year, something is very wrong.

MSUDawg4Life
12-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Agreed.

If he's not, then the guy that is better be damned good.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 11:12 PM

Doesn't he have an issue with muffing punts?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 11:23 PM
He's muffed 3 or 4 this year. Once he catches them he has no issues & know what to do with them. If he can get those muffs squared away he'll be the best return guy we've had since Prentiss.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 11:27 PM
He's muffed 3 or 4 this year. Once he catches them he has no issues & know what to do with them. If he can get those muffs squared away he'll be the best return guy we've had since Prentiss.

I'd like to see the muffs. With it being juco, some of the punts could be bad punts that he's trying to field when he shouldn't. (I.e. Running forward on short punt and fielding punt off a bounce)

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 11:29 PM
He should fill two big needs for us.

1. At slot WR he can come in and replace Jameon.

2. At KR. Both of our losses, not having good field position hurt us immensely.

engie
12-07-2014, 11:34 PM
He takes a couple to the house, I'll be happy to let him muff a couple. He was #2 in all of JUCO in taking 3 to the house. Best I can tell he lost 3 muffs...

msstate7
12-07-2014, 11:37 PM
He takes a couple to the house, I'll be happy to let him muff a couple. He was #2 in all of JUCO in taking 3 to the house. Best I can tell he lost 3 muffs...

All about the timing...

If the td was against usm while up 30 and the muff in tie game in 4th against bama, no thanks. Reverse situations and I agree.

engie
12-07-2014, 11:38 PM
He should fill two big needs for us.

1. At slot WR he can come in and replace Jameon.

2. At KR. Both of our losses, not having good field position hurt us immensely.

FWIW, he didn't return kicks for Co-Lin. Diquan Davis did -- who was also #2 in all of JUCO in YPA and took 3 to the house(no one else in the country took more than 1 back).

Strictly in terms of returns -- we may need to look at their special teams coach...

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Dak needs to spend his off season gelling with Gray & Myles and maybe Dear.

If you look at our season, Jameon played great against LSU but go hurt, then I think we spent the next two game, TAMU & Auburn, benefiting from team not knowing how to defend us when we don't have Jameon.

Then, once Jameon came back, it was just to late in the season for him to really gel with Dak.

I'm curious how much that effected us against Ole Miss and Bama when they blitzed?

Having our talent greatly increase at the slot position should offer us a greater ability to handle teams that bring exotic blitzes.

Our offense could be unbelievable next year if we find 2 or 3 O-linemen and Dak stays healthy.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Dak needs to spend his off season gelling with Gray & Myles and maybe Dear.

If you look at our season, Jameon played great against LSU but go hurt, then I think we spent the next two game, TAMU & Auburn, benefiting from team not knowing how to defend us when we don't have Jameon.

Then, once Jameon came back, it was just to late in the season for him to really gel with Dak.

I'm curious how much that effected us against Ole Miss and Bama when they blitzed?

Having our talent greatly increase at the slot position should offer us a greater ability to handle teams that bring exotic blitzes.

Our offense could be unbelievable next year if we find 2 or 3 O-linemen and Dak stays healthy.

I think one of the problems against bama and OM was not using myles. Myles was very good on those bubble screens and would've ran more effectively again bama than Lewis bc of myles' speed. Myles was the forgotten man and I think it was a mistake

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2014, 11:49 PM
I think one of the problems against bama and OM was not using myles. Myles was very good on those bubble screens and would've ran more effectively again bama than Lewis bc of myles' speed. Myles was the forgotten man and I think it was a mistake

Sure we should've used Myles more on bubble screens, but that isn't necessarily how a slot guy breaks down blitzing defenses. The slot guy breaks down blitzing defenses when he eats them up with underneath routes through the area in which the blitzing LBs vacated.

Myles looked great this year, but most of that was on bubble screens, and not on crossing patterns over the middle. I think this is where Myles and Gray really need to grow for out offense to reach it's potential. They need to learn to read the blitz and UNDERSTAND where the open space over the middle will be.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Sure we should've used Myles more on bubble screens, but that isn't necessarily how a slot guy breaks down blitzing defenses. The slot guy breaks down blitzing defenses when he eats them up with underneath routes through the area in which the blitzing LBs vacated.

Myles looked great this year, but most of that was on bubble screens, and not on crossing patterns over the middle. I think this is where Myles and Gray really need to grow for out offense to reach it's potential. They need to learn to read the blitz and UNDERSTAND where the open space over the middle will be.

Exactly. We need Gray to be like Bumphis. Except maybe use him on screens more than we used Bumphis on screens. Chad was really good at option routes, and Jameon was too when healthy. See the Liberty Bowl and LSU this year. We would also use Chad and Jameon on post patterns sometimes as well.

Gabe is good, but he needs to work on those things. I think with Jameon out for most of the year, we unintentionally got away from that part of our offense and that is a key part to our passing attack.

CJDAWG85
12-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Very impressed with his vision.