PDA

View Full Version : Does the law limiting coaches' contracts to 4 years

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Hurt in bringing in a potential big name?

Whether it be he leaves for another job, gets run out on a rail, or retires from MSU in 30 years, Mullen won't be here forever. When that day comes, does our law limiting contracts potentially hurt us, or any other MS school, from bringing in a big name? I've seen some reports in years past of coaches getting contracts up to 10 years. I would think a Saban level coach might want that kind of contract stability to come to a new school. Not sure why we have that law to begin with. I know it says that no public employee can have a contract longer than the governor but I just don't see why that has to apply to coaches.

engie
12-07-2014, 10:01 PM
No, I don't think it hurts us. It would be different if we didn't re-up it every year. What this takes away from coaches in contract longevity, it gives back in constant renegotiability.

TheRef
12-07-2014, 10:03 PM
We have the law to prevent us from having situations like Charlie Weis or other coaches that are good at signing long-term contracts and sucking it up. Then the school has to pay the rest of the contract if they fire them. Basically, it's a measure to save the Universities a shit-ton of money.

Smitty
12-07-2014, 10:06 PM
I like the rule. Think if we gave Crooms a big up after 2007 ughhhhh

Chip
12-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I think it's actually case law, not statutory law - and not pertaining to coaches, but rather contracts. The idea is that one Governor cannot handcuff the next Governor as far as contracting is concerned. The 2nd Governor has the ability to cancel any of them and re-bid them, which is why the custom has become a 4 year contract, which would be concurrent to a gubernatorial term.

Don't ask me a bunch of questions beyond that, as it's all I know.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 11:01 PM
I don't think it hurts us. We could always tell someone like Saban "we'll give you a four year contract because of the law, but we have a clause here that renews it every year for the next three years after the initial four" which would essentially make it a seven year deal.

It's just semantics.

SDDawg
12-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Mullen will be here forever. He and Xenu are tight like that, dontcha know?! **

yjnkdawg
12-08-2014, 12:31 AM
I think it's actually case law, not statutory law - and not pertaining to coaches, but rather contracts. The idea is that one Governor cannot handcuff the next Governor as far as contracting is concerned. The 2nd Governor has the ability to cancel any of them and re-bid them, which is why the custom has become a 4 year contract, which would be concurrent to a gubernatorial term.

Don't ask me a bunch of questions beyond that, as it's all I know.

Good Answer. Mississippi limits all public employee contracts to four years.

Johnson85
12-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Good Answer. Mississippi limits all public employee contracts to four years.

We could always have the foundation (assuming it's not a public entity) provide a monetary guarantee beyond 4 years. Hope that doesn't happen as I think the 4 year limitation is much more likely to protect us than hurt us in the future. The good thing for us is there is an attorney general's opinion out there that is incorrect (assuming the foundation is not a public entity) that the school can use as an excuse for not allowing a longer contract.