PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Dak makes it to NYC as a Heisman finalist?

Jacksondevildog
12-07-2014, 08:59 PM
We all know that he's not going to win it, but it would be nice if he made it. It's supposed to be announced tomorrow night (finalists). How many do they normally allow to trip to NY?

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 09:05 PM
don't know how many but he will be one of them. Gordon took a monster hit yesterday. He's right up there with the favorites.

thf24
12-07-2014, 09:07 PM
There are five finalists. He should be one with his numbers and 10 wins.

chef dixon
12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
I certainly hope so but he faded hard at the end of the year in the media. I see Mariota, Gordon, Cooper, Boykin, and Barrett all more likely to get an invite. Let's hope they take 6 like they did last year.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I really hope so. It would be a total hack job if he isn't. The way the media has jumped off his bandwagon in recent weeks is pretty shitty. Dak is being judged very unfairly. Shit, Tebow won it despite losing 3 games that year (4 including their bowl game).

The dude led us to 10 wins and amassed nearly 4000 total yards in the regular season. He led the SEC in touch downs and total yards. He is more than deserving of an invitation.

Statefan
12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I certainly hope so but he faded hard at the end of the year in the media. I see Mariota, Gordon, Cooper, Boykin, and Barrett all more likely to get an invite. Let's hope they take 6 like they did last year.

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe JT Barret won't be invited now and Dak can get a spot, but I'm not sure how that would work

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Dak deserves one in my opinion. I bet he gets one.

That said, MSU needs to start marketing him for the 2015 Heisman right now. I want a billboard of Dak on Times Square that says "THIS IS OUR STATE" on it. Even if Dak doesn't win, it will piss off Shepherd Smith, so there's that.

Statefan
12-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Dak deserves one in my opinion. I bet he gets one.

That said, MSU needs to start marketing him for the 2015 Heisman right now. I want a billboard of Dak on Times Square that says "THIS IS OUR STATE" on it. Even if Dak doesn't win, it will piss off Shepherd Smith, so there's that.

If Dak comes back, he will one of the front runners early on, and we will see a nice boost in exposure, pre-season rankings, and favorable TV slots because of it

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Even if Dak doesn't win, it will piss off Shepherd Smith, so there's that.

That's worth the price of admission right there.

Smitty
12-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't think Dak will make the invite list.

smootness
12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Guys, the invites are handed out based on the voting. They don't say, 'Who has had a good enough year to deserve a Heisman invite as a reward?' And I think the number of invites is determined by how close the voting is; there have been as few as 3 and as many as 6, and I think it depends on how close the guys who finish 3-6 are. If 3 guys are far ahead of everyone else, no one else will be invited.

So that said, it will just depend on the voting. If he's in the top 5, he has a decent shot. We'll see; I'm not expecting it.

Smitty
12-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Cooper will steal his Southern votes.

I'm expecting Mariota Gordon and Cooper.

Boykin and Petty will split the Big 12 vote and share it, both being left out. Again**

Statefan
12-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I'd be very surprised

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman14/

missouridawg
12-07-2014, 10:19 PM
If Dak comes back, he will one of the front runners early on, and we will see a nice boost in exposure, pre-season rankings, and favorable TV slots because of it

Hate to predict stuff this far in advance, but we could host our 2nd Gameday in our home opener vs LSU next year. Will be two highly ranked teams with a Heisman hopeful in it. And the schedule that early rarely produces big matchups.

SDDawg
12-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Dak had a great year, and he means a heck of a lot to our team. I'm not sure this team goes bowling this year without him, and that says a lot. Still, I think that *IF* he gets invited it's about that and about his story. Because his production really has fallen off quite a bit (with the exception of Vandy) since we beat Auburn. Love Dak and we're lucky to have him, but he had a Heisman year for about half the season, not the whole year.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Hate to predict stuff this far in advance, but we could host our 2nd Gameday in our home opener vs LSU next year. Will be two highly ranked teams with a Heisman hopeful in it. And the schedule that early rarely produces big matchups.

We should go ahead and contact Will Ferrell. Or Katy Perry. It would be gold if Katy Perry came to Starkville and liked MSU better than Ole Miss.

LC Dawg
12-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Cooper had huge games against Fla, Tenn, and Auburn and a big game against A&M. He was under 100 yards in his other SEC games. I know he's good but I just don't see any reason he should get more Heisman love than Dak except for his team's ranking. Dak had some pretty big games too against the same quality competition that Cooper faced.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Cooper had huge games against Fla, Tenn, and Auburn and a big game against A&M. He was under 100 yards in his other SEC games. I know he's good but I just don't see any reason he should get more Heisman love than Dak except for his team's ranking. Dak had some pretty big games too against the same quality competition that Cooper faced.

Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with Cooper. He's a NFL guy for sure, but I don't think he is going to be a star in the league or anything like that.

Smitty
12-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with Cooper. He's a NFL guy for sure, but I don't think he is going to be a star in the league or anything like that.

He's got the route running skills to be legit... See Antonio Brown. I like their comps.

TUSK
12-07-2014, 11:50 PM

:confused:

missouridawg
12-08-2014, 12:13 AM
:confused:

Agreed Tusk. Cooper is a first rounder and will be immediately effective in his first season. The kid can play.

CadaverDawg
12-08-2014, 12:15 AM

Cooper is really good. That being said, he should be extremely thrilled that Lane Kiffin is an expert at getting good matchups and designing good plays to get his best WR the ball. When you have a great WR, and you add Kiffin....you have a WR that enters the Heisman discussion.

Todd4State
12-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Cooper is really good. That being said, he should be extremely thrilled that Lane Kiffin is an expert at getting good matchups and designing good plays to get his best WR the ball. When you have a great WR, and you add Kiffin....you have a WR that enters the Heisman discussion.

Exactly. How many hitches did Cooper catch this year? He'll be a good player in the NFL, but he's not going to be Calvin Johnson. He just doesn't blow me away.

dawgs
12-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Exactly. How many hitches did Cooper catch this year? He'll be a good player in the NFL, but he's not going to be Calvin Johnson. He just doesn't blow me away.

Because calvin is a physical freak. There's only a few guys that are like him - aj green, Brandon Marshall, maybe a few more, but that's it. Cooper is more like a Antonio brown, Emmanuel sanders, or someone like that. Not physically awe inspiring, but good enough all around talent and polished enough route runner to be a very very good WR.

Dawgowar
12-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Cooper in the hands of a veteran QB and good play caller will be lethal in the NFL.