PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Payout?

DoctorDawg
12-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Orange used to pay 18 million compared to 3 million from Peach. Is this still the same? Or are all 4 big bowls equal?

yjnkdawg
12-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Orange used to pay 18 million compared to 3 million from Peach. Is this still the same? Or are all 4 big bowls equal?

"The ACC has a contract with the Orange Bowl for $27.5 million annually, which it will receive this year in addition to revenue earned from the CFP as detailed above. Its opponent each year will be Notre Dame or a team from the SEC or Big Ten, and that team will receive a similar payout."

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/01/college-football-playoff-payoutsrevenue-distribution-for-2014-15/

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 08:32 PM
I think it's $24M and so is peach. The big6 are all equal bowls.

engie
12-07-2014, 08:36 PM

The bowl payouts all go to the SEC to be divided 15 ways -- so I'm not sure why it's important beyond the fact that we're going to bring home an extra $5-10mil in bowl revenue this year compared to last year overall...

The Orange pays $55 million evenly split two ways between the conferences that actually compete in the game now in years when it isn't in the playoffs.
The Sugar(when not part of playoffs) pays $80 mil split 2 ways between the SEC and Big 12 now.

The New Years 6 is worth between $400-$600mil per year overall. My understanding is that this is on a sliding scale not counting the(separate) money for the Orange, Sugar, and Rose Bowls. But this gets damn fuzzy when these bowls are playoff games. I'm not sure if the $55 or $80mil payouts go away in that scenario or what. I think they do in favor of a $100ish mil payday split far more ways. Meaning the SEC actually brings home less money when the Sugar is a playoff vs when the Sugar is a contract bowl. This $400mil is split among everyone. Actual numbers is something like 70% to power5, 25% to small conferences, and 5% to d2/fcs. The only "extra" money conferences get from appearing in the playoffs is a separate $6mil per appearance, I believe.

The Peach pays somewhere likely around $40 mil(again -- a guess) split between all of the power 5(75ish%) and the rest(25%). The SEC gets an extra $4mil for having a team appear in the game when it isn't in the playoffs. This money is ALWAYS split among everyone, unlike the Rose, Sugar, and Orange.

Basically -- our Orange Bowl game I believe is the biggest individual payday to the SEC this postseason by far.

As you can see, the "Payout" to the SEC will not be consistent from year to year. Nevermind that the $400mil grows to $600mil by the end of the contract. We will make more money when the Cotton/Peach host the playoffs -- with potential to make totally stupid money if we manage to put(presumably our 3rd) a team into the Orange Bowl as well. That's almost $70mil to the conference just from 2 games...

yjnkdawg
12-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I think it's $24M and so is peach. The big6 are all equal bowls.

The top 4 teams get $6 million each for their conferences. THe Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls get $4 million.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/01/college-football-playoff-payoutsrevenue-distribution-for-2014-15/

"The ACC has a contract with the Orange Bowl for $27.5 million annually, which it will receive this year in addition to revenue earned from the CFP as detailed above. Its opponent each year will be Notre Dame or a team from the SEC or Big Ten, and that team will receive a similar payout."

engie
12-07-2014, 08:54 PM
The top 4 teams get $6 million each for their conferences. THe Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls get $4 million.

That's on top of the percentage earned of the $400-$600million payday for the New Years 6 bowls...

yjnkdawg
12-07-2014, 09:09 PM
That's on top of the percentage earned of the $400-$600million payday for the New Years 6 bowls...

K, thanks.