PDA

View Full Version : Trey Derouen de-commits

drummerdawg
12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
2015 OL Trey Derouen reports he has de-committed from MSU. That leaves the Bulldogs with 28 commits now for 2015. http://t.co/7ekOIzmGSq

engie
12-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Hevesy doin work!1!**

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Not good. Why the hell can we not recruit Offensive Linemen? Shit is starting to get old.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 06:59 PM
He was offered a greyshirt & decided to look around. This was our decision. We have a couple guys we're looking good on who we like better.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Hevesy doin work!1!**

So we needed room im assuming?

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 07:01 PM
He was offered a greyshirt & decided to look around. This was our decision. We have a couple guys we're looking good on who we like better.

Boom.

I like that we are pulling offers and going after higher rated kids. That's what Saban does.

It's a business folks.

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:01 PM

The kid from that decommitted from Miami is an upgrade.

Are we going to freak out when a little bit more shuffling happens?

engie
12-07-2014, 07:02 PM
"Looking good on" = coming in 2nd late on OL recruiting... It's basically happened that way 5 times under this staff thusfar. I'm not "freaking out" -- I just can't make myself expect something different until that something different begins to happen...

CadaverDawg

Makes me feel a LOT better hearing that. As long as we get the better guys we are after, that is.

BeastMan
Boom.

I like that we are pulling offers and going after higher rated kids. That's what Saban does.

It's a business folks.

A few sign and place gonna happen too. I know it's hard for us Bulldogs to believe but we're closing strong with some really nice targets.

Ifyouonlyknew
I'm not saying the guys we like better are 5* but they're higher rated & our coaches like them better.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 07:03 PM
"Looking good on" = coming in 2nd late on OL recruiting... It's basically happened that way 5 times under this staff thusfar.

Well when they commit we can take a look back.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:04 PM
A few sign and place gonna happen too. I know it's hard for us Bulldogs to believe but we're closing strong with some really nice targets.

If it were any other position, there probably wouldn't be such a panic when we hear things like this. But given our history of coming in 2nd for good OL targets, seeing one of our few OL targets decommit doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies, ha.

That being said, you and IfYouOnlyKnew are usually pretty accurate, so I'll withhold feelings based on what you guys are saying is the reason.

ETA: I'm starting to wonder if "Ifyouonlyknew" is Tony Hughes in disguise. As in, "If you only knew that I'm not just a message board poster, but the top recruiter on the staff". **

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm not saying the guys we like better are 5* but they're higher rated & our coaches like them better.

We saw that the staff evaluates on their own when Tiano stuck and Virigl didn't. I'm comfortable with Mullen's evals at this point.

engie
Well when they commit we can take a look back.

Look back at what?

Hey, I hope you are right. I'd love nothing better than to turn that corner. We've turned a bunch of them in the past 12 months. But I'm going to have to see it before I expect it when it comes to offensive linemen.

HancockCountyDog

Do you think we will recruit this way in the future? It seems we are pulling more offers this year. I have no problem with it, just seems to be a change in philosophy .

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Besides the obvious , Lewis, Campbell, and Rankin , who are we looking at as legit possibilities.

Op4isabitch
12-07-2014, 07:07 PM
He's been processed. About time we started doing this, we are not a shelter for the homeless.

engie
12-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Derouen committed to Louisville...

MetEdDawg
Do you think we will recruit this way in the future? It seems we are pulling more offers this year. I have no problem with it, just seems to be a change in philosophy .

To me this is the transition part of going from trying to build a program and trying to sustain a program. We've built the base by changing the culture over the last 6 years. Now we've gone to 5 bowls in a row, were #1 in the country for over a month and are headed to the Orange Bowl. We are now trying to sustain that level of success by bringing in higher rated guys that see we can be a contender. There's always a transition to that and I believe that's what we are seeing here.

Ifyouonlyknew
Look back at what?

Hey, I hope you are right. I'd love nothing better than to turn that corner. We've turned a bunch of them in the past 12 months. But I'm going to have to see it before I expect it when it comes to offensive linemen.

I totally get your point & don't really disagree but this year recruiting has been diff & I expect it to continue through signing day.

BeastMan
If it were any other position, there probably wouldn't be such a panic when we hear things like this. But given our history of coming in 2nd for good OL targets, seeing one of our few OL targets decommit doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies, ha.

I know that Hev and the OL recruiting is a constant source of message board heart burn but I thought our OL was pretty dang good this year. It was 100% recruited and developed by Hev.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 07:09 PM

I don't think so I think this year has been such a success that we've had to make some adjustments here & there.

Raytoraid83
12-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Besides the obvious , Lewis, Campbell, and Rankin , who are we looking at as legit possibilities.

Yancy has started to concede Rankin to us.

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:11 PM

That's who we beat out to start with.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 07:11 PM

He hasn't committed to anyone yet.

hailmari
12-07-2014, 07:12 PM
I liked what I saw of Trey, plus he's a smart kid. I'm usually optimistic but I'm with engie on this one. I'm wore out on subpar OL crootin. Sure, hev has developed a few guys but it can be a lot better.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I know that Hev and the OL recruiting is a constant source of message board heart burn but I thought our OL was pretty dang good this year. It was 100% recruited and developed by Hev.

It was good except for our 2 biggest games. If we want 7-8 wins and an occasional 9+, our OL is great. If we want years like this year to be 11-1 or 12-0, we have to do much better on the OL recruiting IMO. But I'm far from a recruitnik

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 07:14 PM

My only concern is that Dak and Jrob made the OL, that had three fifth year seniors on it a little better than they were. I'm just hope we don't have to wait until we have an OL with roughly 120 starts between them. To be better than 2012 and 2013.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:15 PM
My only concern is that Dak and Jrob made the OL, that had three fifth year seniors on it a little better than they were. I'm just hope we don't have to wait until we have an OL with roughly 120 starts between them. To be better than 2012 and 2013.

This

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:15 PM
I liked what I saw of Trey, plus he's a smart kid. I'm usually optimistic but I'm with engie on this one. I'm wore out on subpar OL crootin. Sure, hev has developed a few guys but it can be a lot better.

I get what you're saying but I would counter by asking what your metric for "being sick of our OL recruiting" is? Is it 100% based in recruiting site rankings and stars or is it based on what plays out on the field? I thought the OL was pretty good this year and I think it can be every bit as good next year.

Coach34
12-07-2014, 07:16 PM

We had one of the best offenses in the country. You dont do that without a good OL

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Did Dak and Jrob make them better? Absolutely. Did Tyler Russell's lack of mobility and pocket presence and Ladarius Perkins being used wrong make it look worse? Absolutely.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I get what you're saying but I would counter by asking what your metric for "being sick of our OL recruiting" is? Is it 100% based in recruiting site rankings and stars or is it based on what plays out on the field? I thought the OL was pretty good this year and I think it can be every bit as good next year.

I'm tired of being able to run on all the patsies, but not being able to get a crucial yard against The better defenses in the league like Bama and OM this year. Dak is our only run option against good defenses....our RB disappears every time we play a good defense.

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:19 PM
We had one of the best offenses in the country. You dont do that without a good OL

Thank you. I guess Hev gets no credit for recruiting and developing 100% of it. I'm fine with the criticisms as long as we acknowledge the good also.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 07:20 PM
If we get Rankin, which I think we will, then our starting OL next year is more talented than this year. Senior, Malone, Clayborn, Desper, & Rankin. Also even tho some new pieces all are Jrs & better so it's not a bunch of 18 & 19yr olds.

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm tired of being able to run on all the patsies, but not being able to get a crucial yard against The better defenses in the league like Bama and OM this year. Dak is our only run option against good defenses....our RB disappears every time we play a good defense.

That's not an exclusively MSU thing though. Elite defenses are tough. You do realize that the 2 defenses you just mentioned: OM 1st in the nation in scoring and Bama 2nd in the nation in rushing defense. Those guys are going to be tough to run on for anyone.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Thank you. I guess Hev gets no credit for recruiting and developing 100% of it. I'm fine with the criticisms as long as we acknowledge the good also.

I'm fine admitting that the OL is good....they just aren't great. And we've had much worse overall teams in the past at MSU that had great OL's.

Also, I'm tired of Hevesy having to develop 2 star players until they can be "serviceable" by their Junior Year. Why can we not get at least 1 stud every now and then? We are in the running for a lot of big name OL recruits each year, but we never land the big one. Only guys that we can develop into serviceable linemen.

Or at least that's the way I see it. Again, not bashing our OL or Hevesy....he actually makes decent Chicken Salad out of some of the OL recruits we've gotten in recent years.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:24 PM
That's not an exclusively MSU thing though. Elite defenses are tough. You do realize that the 2 defenses you just mentioned: OM 1st in the nation in scoring and Bama 2nd in the nation in rushing defense. Those guys are going to be tough to run on for anyone.

I'm not asking for us to run wild on those defenses.....I'm just looking for a few plays of us pushing them forward instead of us getting pushed backwards. Or for our OL to be a formidable opponent for those defenses.

Coach34
12-07-2014, 07:24 PM
It was good except for our 2 biggest games. If we want 7-8 wins and an occasional 9+, our OL is great. If we want years like this year to be 11-1 or 12-0, we have to do much better on the OL recruiting IMO. But I'm far from a recruitnik

Bama's OL in one of their biggest games only helped their offense to 124 rushing yards and 3.9 ypc vs State. Only 335 total yards for the game.

engie
12-07-2014, 07:25 PM
To me this is the transition part of going from trying to build a program and trying to sustain a program. We've built the base by changing the culture over the last 6 years. Now we've gone to 5 bowls in a row, were #1 in the country for over a month and are headed to the Orange Bowl. We are now trying to sustain that level of success by bringing in higher rated guys that see we can be a contender. There's always a transition to that and I believe that's what we are seeing here.

I agree with you in principle and hope you are right. In theory, 6 months ago we were still beggars -- now we are kinda choosers. As such, this class is going to be very transitional in nature -- as it was partially recruited "how we've recruited in the past" -- and now being partially recruited "in a different stratosphere". In theory, this is going to be the class with a ton of turnover because of our perception changing so drastically halfway through.

We'd probably be alot more selective on the front end next year -- given the rise in perception -- thus not necessitating the turnover in recruiting...

Ifyouonlyknew
I'm fine admitting that the OL is good....they just aren't great. And we've had much worse overall teams in the past at MSU that had great OL's.

Also, I'm tired of Hevesy having to develop 2 star players until they can be "serviceable" by their Junior Year. Why can we not get at least 1 stud every now and then? We are in the running for a lot of big name OL recruits each year, but we never land the big one. Only guys that we can develop into serviceable linemen.

Or at least that's the way I see it. Again, not bashing our OL or Hevesy....he actually makes decent Chicken Salad out of some of the OL recruits we've gotten in recent years.

Champion & Williams are studs. Rankin will be a stud if/when we get him. That's 3 in 1 class.

HancockCountyDog

You have to admit, having the best QB in the sec and one of the best RB in the SEC helps.

A stud like Dak can make an average OL look good. I think that happened a bit this year. We had three guys that we got every bit of talent out of.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Bama's OL in one of their biggest games only helped their offense to 124 rushing yards and 3.9 ypc vs State. Only 335 total yards for the game.

Are we talking about their OL, or ours? It is well noted that this year's Bama OL is one of their worst in a long times so I'm not sure why you went there. Not to mention, our DL is a beast. Your post has actually got zero merit in this thread

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Champion & Williams are studs. Rankin will be a stud if/when we get him. That's 3 in 1 class.

That is good to hear.

engie
12-07-2014, 07:28 PM

I agree that we were decent up front this year and that should be pretty sustainable going forward. I also don't expect a big dropoff if we have any next year. It's still not what I would call a strength though...

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 07:30 PM
I agree that we were decent up front this year and that should be pretty sustainable going forward. I also don't expect a big dropoff if we have any next year. It's still not what I would call a strength though...

Can't we all agree that Dak and JRob are able to cover up problems.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 07:31 PM

I've heard great things for us on Rankin .

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Bama gives up 88 YPG on the ground and 2.81 YPC. We got 138 and 3.5.
UM gives up 134 YPG on the ground and 3.4 YPC. We got 163 and 3.5- in what was, IMO, our worst gameplan of the season.

I'm not saying we did really well running the ball in those games, but let's not pretend that those teams shut us down either- particularly in the second half. Those are two of the best defenses in America, and we did better than most teams do against them.

Just thought this was worth mentioning. Carry on.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
I've heard great things for us on Rankin .

Me too.

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:33 PM

I don't disagree with any of that. I see OL just like all the other positions. The level of talent MSU is recruiting is better than it has been across the board. Look at this year:
OT Tommy Champion 4-star
OC Darryl Williams high 3-star
OT Harrison Moon mid 3-star

I think we land 4-star Martinas Rankin
I think we land mid 3-star Geron Christian

There are other guys that I'm sure are on the radar that I'm not even sure on. I always really liked Kenny Thomas (mid 3 from Prattville) but haven't heard anything on him in a while.

engie
12-07-2014, 07:35 PM

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/22/offensive-line-problem/

I've been agreeing for a year now...

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Heck yes. Much like Russell gave us a look at what was really at OL for us. I'm afraid our OL is really about the same as it was then, maybe a little better, but Dak and JRob make it look much better. Whereas, if we could do a better job at getting talent on our OL, we may take 8 win season to 10 win seasons, and 10 win seasons to 12 win seasons. I just want us to be the best we can possibly be...and I think talent on the OL is good enough to get us where we are, but will have to improve if we want to consistently have seasons close to what we're seeing this year. And whether it is realistic or not, I would like to think that's what we are striving for.

Coach34
12-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Are we talking about their OL, or ours? It is well noted that this year's Bama OL is one of their worst in a long times so I'm not sure why you went there. Not to mention, our DL is a beast. Your post has actually got zero merit in this thread

Bama's OL is much more highly rated than ours- they have many more "studs" than us. It has complete merit. We are showing you that you have really no idea what you are talking about

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-07-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm both excited and frustrated with our OL situation as it relates to recruiting and developing. It is obvious we can develop an OL. You look at some of the ragtag guys we usually have....getting Day over teams like La. Tech, etc. and then a walk-on like Beckwith, who obviously didn't have any offers to mention. It is obvious that Hevesy knows what he's doing by getting these guys to play like they have. It would just be nice to see what Hev could do with 3-4 guys that have offers from LSU, Auburn, Bama, etc.

Having said that, you look at the success we've had working with mostly 3 stars and you have to wonder what could this staff do with a good group of 4 stars and a couple of 5 star type athletes.

I know we talk about stars not mattering, etc. but when you see Alabama trot out 42 4 and 5 stars yesterday and realize Missouri trotted out 12....how can you argue with that?

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:37 PM
UM gives up 134 YPG on the ground and 3.4 YPC. We got 163 and 3.5- in what was, IMO, our worst gameplan of the season.

I'm not saying we did really well running the ball in those games, but let's not pretend that those teams shut us down either- particularly in the second half. Those are two of the best defenses in America, and we did better than most teams do against them.

Just thought this was worth mentioning. Carry on.

Yea, and we got a lot of those rushing yards while we should have been passing because the clock was running on us and Mullen was shitting his britches....just saying. When the game was close, we couldn't do shit on the ground. Stats be damned

Coach34
12-07-2014, 07:38 PM

and we had 300 yards of offense against both in the 2nd half only of both games.

CadaverDawg
I don't disagree with any of that. I see OL just like all the other positions. The level of talent MSU is recruiting is better than it has been across the board. Look at this year:
OT Tommy Champion 4-star
OC Darryl Williams high 3-star
OT Harrison Moon mid 3-star

I think we land 4-star Martinas Rankin
I think we land mid 3-star Geron Christian

There are other guys that I'm sure are on the radar that I'm not even sure on. I always really liked Kenny Thomas (mid 3 from Prattville) but haven't heard anything on him in a while.

As long as those guys actually sign, I agree that looks good. It's the fact that I scared they won't stick with us if anybody comes after them late that concerns me. This year is definitely looking better if they stick though. No doubt.

engie
I wouldn't say Russell "gave us a look at what was really at OL for us". I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle between Dak making them look good and Russell making them look bad...

BeastMan
12-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't say Russell "gave us a look at what was really at OL for us". I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle between Dak making them look good and Russell making them look bad...

I agree with this. It's a mutually beneficial relationship, or should be.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 07:41 PM

We outrushed bama and should've outrushed OM, but they broke the 90 yarder. We got 163 vs OM

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Bama's OL is much more highly rated than ours- they have many more "studs" than us. It has complete merit. We are showing you that you have really no idea what you are talking about

Umm....Changing the subject and talking about Bama's OL when I am discussing ours, has zero merit on our OL. I know exactly what I'm talking about. Plus, everyone knows you are all over Hevesy and the OL's jock. Do you want us to sink back down to perennial 6-7 wins, or do you want to maintain success at a higher level? If you want to maintain it, your boy is going to have to start upgrading his OL talent. When we are having to move a TE to Tackle just to add depth....we need to start recruiting better.

If we can sign what we have committees, we will be improving....but I'll wait til I see it happen

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:44 PM
and we had 300 yards of offense against both in the 2nd half only of both games.

In comeback mode.

Do you really think people are too stupid to see your misrepresentation of the facts? Christ, it's ok for people to call a spade a spade. Our OL is middle of the pack in the SEC. Thank goodness we have a good scheme with our blocking, which helps make them look better. We also have some smart OLinemen, which helps a lot too. Hevesy and the staff deserve credit for that. I just want them to start getting some better front end talent to work with, instead of a bunch of projects that take 2-3 years until they can help us.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:45 PM
We outrushed bama and should've outrushed OM, but they broke the 90 yarder. We got 163 vs OM

Again, not when we needed it. We couldn't do shit on them on the ground until they got a good lead. Either of them.

Bully13
12-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Ding Ding Ding....not only does our RB disappear, but our O-linemen get the 17 beat out of them as well....

Bully13
12-07-2014, 07:49 PM

you have to look at what juncture of the game those rushing yards came at. we were manhandled when the nut cutting was going on.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:49 PM
For example....we had a former walk on as a key piece to our OL the last few seasons. Does Hevesy get credit for developing him into what he was? Absofreakinglutely....it's amazing. But what I'm saying is....why are we having to rely on a former walk on in the first place? Oh yea, because we didn't have anyone better to put in there, so Hevesy had to pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Nobody is arguing that Hevesy has damn near worked miracles.....we're just saying it would be great to be able to work with some more refined talent instead of having to transform Division II players into serviceable SEC linemen. Recruit better on the front end and maybe we won't have to hope we can work a miracle with a former walk on, or a former DL, or a former TE. Do you disagree?

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 07:54 PM
For example....we had a former walk on as a key piece to our OL the last few seasons. Does Hevesy get credit for developing him into what he was? Absofreakinglutely....it's amazing. But what I'm saying is....why are we having to rely on a former walk on in the first place? Oh yea, because we didn't have anyone better to put in there, so Hevesy had to pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Nobody is arguing that Hevesy has damn near worked miracles.....we're just saying it would be great to be able to work with some more refined talent instead of having to transform Division II players into serviceable SEC linemen. Recruit better on the front end and maybe we won't have to hope we can work a miracle with a former walk on, or a former DL, or a former TE. Do you disagree?

Next year will be his toughest job to date. Replacing two 4 year starters is ridiculous. Throw in a two year starter and he will earn his pay next year.

No matter how good Rankin is, and he is good, there will be an adjustment period.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Next year will be his toughest job to date. Replacing two 4 year starters is ridiculous. Throw in a two year starter and he will earn his pay next year.

No matter how good Rankin is, and he is good, there will be an adjustment period.

Totally agree.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 08:01 PM

I'd have to say the year we had to put Carmon at OT was his most difficult job thus far.

Bully13
12-07-2014, 08:01 PM
our lack of OL recruiting will bite us in the ass big time next year... there's just so much "developing the diamonds" will get you ... When I saw that goofball smile / face of his on gene's page a few months back, I thought " shit how does this guy sell anything? "

he's a dork and he hasn't pulled off anything OL recruiting wise... he's a detriment to recruiting.. not knocking his coaching because it seems legit, but good Lord that kisser of his is something you do NOT want when trying to close a deal if it resembles his personality...

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't really understand why people are upset with Hevesey about this. WE cut this guy. He's not leaving us.

Granted, it may be better/more understandable if we had whoever mystery recruit in the fold. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Actually, I hope this means that we are about to get Jonathon Taylor. We can always find another guard. That's probably the easiest position on the OL to recruit.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 08:08 PM
our lack of OL recruiting will bite us in the ass big time next year... there's just so much "developing the diamonds" will get you ... When I saw that goofball smile / face of his on gene's page a few months back, I thought " shit how does this guy sell anything? "

he's a dork and he hasn't pulled off anything OL recruiting wise... he's a detriment to recruiting.. not knocking his coaching because it seems legit, but good Lord that kisser of his is something you do NOT want when trying to close a deal if it resembles his personality...

I'm pretty sure Gene took that picture. That was probably a case of the guy taking the picture being a screw ball as opposed to the subject.

Champion was a pretty good pick up this year, and Rankin will be too. We missed on Patterson and Womack- both with Ole Miss family ties. I would have taken Ryan Gibson from St. Stanislaus though. Not sure why we didn't want him.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:20 PM
I'd have to say the year we had to put Carmon at OT was his most difficult job thus far.

That was 2011, we ended up putting Blaine Clausell at LT. That is how long our LT has been taken care of.

He might be the under appreciated MSU player in a long time.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Gene took that picture. That was probably a case of the guy taking the picture being a screw ball as opposed to the subject.

Champion was a pretty good pick up this year, and Rankin will be too. We missed on Patterson and Womack- both with Ole Miss family ties. I would have taken Ryan Gibson from St. Stanislaus though. Not sure why we didn't want him.

Gibson wanted to go out of state from the beginning.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Me too.

Are you hearing about a Joe Price in this year's class? Just wondering

Coach34
12-07-2014, 08:23 PM
In comeback mode.

You mean when it was 7-3 at half vs Fredo? Or when we led 10-7 early in the 3rd??? It was 19-13 vs Bama in the 4th quarter. Stop acting like they were garbage yards when the game was over.

Talk about misrepresentation of facts

Coach34
12-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Again, not when we needed it. We couldn't do shit on them on the ground until they got a good lead. Either of them.

Oh really? This is our drive to take a 10-7 lead in the 3rd Q:

1st and 10 at MSST 38
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass complete to Jameon Lewis (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504243/jameon-lewis) for 7 yds to the MisSt 45 MISSISSIPPI ST Penalty, Offensive Holding (Blaine Clausell) to the MisSt 35

1st and 13 at MSST 35
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass complete to Fred Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546622/fred-ross) for 24 yds to the Miss 41 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MISS 41
Ashton Shumpert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546611/ashton-shumpert) run for 12 yds to the Miss 29 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MISS 29
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass complete to Fred Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546622/fred-ross) for 5 yds to the Miss 24

2nd and 5 at MISS 24
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass incomplete to Fred Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546622/fred-ross)

3rd and 5 at MISS 24
Ashton Shumpert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546611/ashton-shumpert) run for 16 yds to the Miss 8 for a 1ST down

1st and Goal at MISS 8
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) run for 3 yds to the Miss 5

2nd and Goal at MISS 5
Ashton Shumpert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546611/ashton-shumpert) run for 4 yds to the Miss 1

3rd and Goal at MISS 1
Dak Prescott 1 Yd Run (Evan Sobiesk KICK)

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 08:27 PM

good for him.

Congrats kid. Hope you're an All American and make the big bucks someday.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Are you hearing about a Joe Price in this year's class? Just wondering

No I haven't. If it's who I think you're talking bout I wouldn't do it but we could be on 2 diff pages.

bulldawg28
12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
We have some really idiotic fans when it comes to football and how it works. Stop reading scout and ESPN magazines and expect a team to model the 8th grade football knowledge of a reporter.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Trey hasn't committed anywhere yet. He has an in home with louisville this week but hasn't made a decision yet.

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I do agree with 13 that we have to start inserting some premium prime time guys into the OL mix. You can only take a yeoman route so far, and I think we've seen that. If we had an All-SEC OT and Gabe Jackson this season, we win the natty.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:31 PM
No I haven't. If it's who I think you're talking bout I wouldn't do it but we could be on 2 diff pages.

I'll pm you

msstate7
12-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Reading this thread I've learned that the board is pissed off at our oline recruiting. Mullen then essentially cuts a recruit in order to upgrade and we're pissed about that. Good grief, I'd hate to see how we would be acting if we got the independence bowl... Geez

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I'll pm you

Cool.

defiantdog
12-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Kentavious flip to Louisville. He's taking an official there on Jan 30 and he's good friends with Trey. I guess we are just trying to make the numbers work..... I don't know

HoopsDawg
12-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Kentavious flip to Louisville. He's taking an official there on Jan 30 and he's good friends with Trey. I guess we are just trying to make the numbers work..... I don't know

3 RBs makes no sense.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

I could see that. This class is heavy on skill players. I think it will be fluid.

engie
12-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Reading this thread I've learned that the board is pissed off at our oline recruiting. Mullen then essentially cuts a recruit in order to upgrade and we're pissed about that. Good grief, I'd hate to see how we would be acting if we got the independence bowl... Geez

Nothing has been said that was unreasonable in this thread. It's been a good debate IMO and one that it's easy enough to see both sides of for everyone that isn't on the fringe one way or another. Everyone has said that IF this actually goes according to script and we upgrade, we're all fine with it and happy about it. The problem is -- in 5 recruiting classes -- OL recruiting has never -- not once -- gone according to script late under this regime. We're just gunshy. That's all. It's been running off Deon Mix, taking a homebody to a party and pushing him to UK, losing a guy to his GF at USM, letting an elite guy that's never been outside of MS go to aTm over personality issues with Hev, letting a Memphis kid leave for UCLA and return to OM. That's about 1/5 of what I remember happening late with "guys we felt really good about" under this regime on OL recruiting. That's my reservation. That's Cadaver's reservation. IF we close well this year -- it's all for naught -- and we can put this reservation to sleep exactly like we've mostly put Dan's QB recruiting struggles to sleep. We ALL just want to close well. Some are more confident than others. Either way -- no one is saying that "we won't" -- we are just saying to show us.

Derouen was the best "offer" guy we've gotten yet under Mullen. Hope we upgrade. Surely we're planning to given how this transpired.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:54 PM
3 RBs makes no sense.

I think we have four committed:

Mixon
Gibson
Murphy
Thomas

This doesn't count Dear , that should get a look at RB.

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Nothing has been said that was unreasonable in this thread. It's been a good debate IMO and one that it's easy enough to see both sides of for everyone that isn't on the fringe one way or another. Everyone has said that IF this actually goes according to script and we upgrade, we're all fine with it and happy about it. The problem is -- in 5 recruiting classes -- OL recruiting has never -- not once -- gone according to script late under this regime. We're just gunshy. That's all. It's been running off Deon Mix, taking a homebody to a party and pushing him to UK, losing a guy to his GF at USM, letting an elite guy that's never been outside of MS go to aTm over personality issues with Hev, letting a Memphis kid leave for UCLA and return to OM. That's about 1/5 of what I remember happening late with "guys we felt really good about" under this regime on OL recruiting. That's my reservation. That's Cadaver's reservation. IF we close well this year -- it's all for naught -- and we can put this reservation to sleep exactly like we've mostly put Dan's QB recruiting struggles to sleep. We ALL just want to close well. Some are more confident than others. Either way -- no one is saying that "we won't" -- we are just saying to show us.

Derouen was the best "offer" guy we've gotten yet under Mullen. Hope we upgrade. Surely we're planning to given how this transpired.

Folks, engie just dropped the mic.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Bingo.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I agree with everything engie said but Williams is a better "offer" guy than Derouen.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Oh really? This is our drive to take a 10-7 lead in the 3rd Q:

1st and 10 at MSST 38
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass complete to Jameon Lewis (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/504243/jameon-lewis) for 7 yds to the MisSt 45 MISSISSIPPI ST Penalty, Offensive Holding (Blaine Clausell) to the MisSt 35

1st and 13 at MSST 35
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass complete to Fred Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546622/fred-ross) for 24 yds to the Miss 41 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MISS 41
Ashton Shumpert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546611/ashton-shumpert) run for 12 yds to the Miss 29 for a 1ST down

1st and 10 at MISS 29
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass complete to Fred Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546622/fred-ross) for 5 yds to the Miss 24

2nd and 5 at MISS 24
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) pass incomplete to Fred Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546622/fred-ross)

3rd and 5 at MISS 24
Ashton Shumpert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546611/ashton-shumpert) run for 16 yds to the Miss 8 for a 1ST down

1st and Goal at MISS 8
Dak Prescott (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott) run for 3 yds to the Miss 5

2nd and Goal at MISS 5
Ashton Shumpert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546611/ashton-shumpert) run for 4 yds to the Miss 1

3rd and Goal at MISS 1
Dak Prescott 1 Yd Run (Evan Sobiesk KICK)

Yea, and I could probably find one drive where we stopped Manziel in the "SnowBowl" too. We get it, you think Hev can do no wrong.

Our OL could improve greatly, or we could be satisfied with walk ons and diamonds in the rough, and accept this year as our program's ceiling. I choose to point out issues (even if they aren't the most glaring), in hopes that we can one day beat Bama and be in the playoff ourselves. If you choose to turn a blind eye and try to mislead, fine by me.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Yea, and I could probably find one drive where we stopped Manziel in the "SnowBowl" too. We get it, you think Hev can do no wrong. Our OL could improve greatly, or we could be satisfied with walk ons and diamonds in the rough, and accept this year as our program's ceiling. I choose to point out issues (even if they aren't the most glaring), in hopes that we can one day beat Bama and be in the playoff ourselves. If you choose to turn a blind eye and try to mislead, fine by me.

We were down by 6 against bama and our defense couldn't get a stop. I think our oline played fairly well. I'd blame dak's turnovers more than our oline against bama.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 09:27 PM
I think we have four committed:

Mixon
Gibson
Murphy
Thomas

This doesn't count Dear , that should get a look at RB.

Mixon and Dear are slot guys. We do use some slot guys as RB's some- but we're not going to use Mixon or Dear like we use Robinson and Shumpert.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
We were down by 6 against bama and our defense couldn't get a stop. I think our oline played fairly well. I'd blame dak's turnovers more than our oline against bama.

I would say the worst the o-line looked was the Egg Bowl. But if we're honest, the entire team aside from a couple of individuals looked awful. In hindsight, if Cox is not in jail odds are they get at least one less TD and then who knows what happens?

RougeDawg
12-07-2014, 10:06 PM

It didn't look like 163 because of the stubbornness and lack of creativity from the person calling the plays. Let's not forget OM scored 4 touchdowns on 4 drives that totaled 9 f*cking plays!!!! 9 GD plays and they score 28 points from them. Inexcusable.

MSUDawg4Life
12-07-2014, 10:13 PM
We have some really idiotic fans when it comes to football and how it works. Stop reading scout and ESPN magazines and expect a team to model the 8th grade football knowledge of a reporter.

Agreed.

We have some really stupid fans. Couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag, but ... according to them ... they know everything there is to know about football.

maroonmania
12-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Yep, we are gunshy AND we have seen the so-called "cutting" but have yet to see any "upgrading".

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Agreed.

We have some really stupid fans. Couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag, but ... according to them ... they know everything there is to know about football.

You don't have to be Bill Walsh to know that you don't put your back-ups in half the game and mass sub them.

preachermatt83
12-07-2014, 11:04 PM

That being said, you and IfYouOnlyKnew are usually pretty accurate, so I'll withhold feelings based on what you guys are saying is the reason.

ETA: I'm starting to wonder if "Ifyouonlyknew" is Tony Hughes in disguise. As in, "If you only knew that I'm not just a message board poster, but the top recruiter on the staff". **

ive been saying that for a while now. the guy is rarely wrong

Barking 13
12-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Kinda off the topic, but was it just me, or has Day not looked very good after his suspension?

engie
12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Kinda off the topic, but was it just me, or has Day not looked very good after his suspension?

He didn't look that good before his suspension either IMO. He was terrible against USM. To me, he looked awesome in the LSU game, which is the one he seemed to really take personal(being a LA kid and all) and was otherwise very average this year...

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2014, 12:19 PM

I think he leveled off, there are just physical limitations he couldn't overcome.

msstate7
12-08-2014, 12:22 PM
He didn't look that good before his suspension either IMO. He was terrible against USM. To me, he looked awesome in the LSU game, which is the one he seemed to really take personal(being a LA kid and all) and was otherwise very average this year...

If he can turn it up for lsu and doesn't play the same vs other teams, that doesn't speak well of him. I hope this isn't the case bc I like him

maroonmania
12-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I think he leveled off, there are just physical limitations he couldn't overcome.

You can probably say that of Day and Clausell. Both eventually played pretty well as upperclassmen because of longevity in our system but neither are greatly gifted physically to be All-SEC type linemen. Beckwith will actually be our toughest SR to replace in terms of production IMO. I mean Day and Clausell were forced into starting action as RFR so I applaud all they did for us but their ceiling was what it was.

NCDawg
12-08-2014, 12:45 PM

One thing he was good at was snapping the ball accurately to Prescott. I didn't see him make any bad snaps all year. As far as blocking, didn't seem to be very good. I saw him get knocked back into the backfield when we were on Alabama's one yard line, and Ole Miss knocked him and the rest of our OL around pretty good.

TUSK
12-08-2014, 04:58 PM
You mean when it was 7-3 at half vs Fredo? Or when we led 10-7 early in the 3rd??? It was 19-13 vs Bama in the 4th quarter. Stop acting like they were garbage yards when the game was over.

Talk about misrepresentation of facts

It's been a Lon time, so my memory my be inaccurate, but I don't remember MSU being able to run the ball with a chance to get back in the game. I know dak got flushed for a long run once but other than that I never really felt there was a legit threat by the MSU run game (until we went to a prevent/zone D).

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 05:08 PM
this thread has run it's course... let it move on.