PDA

View Full Version : I hope we take this bowl Seriously and

cheewgumm
12-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Dont pull the "it's just a reward for the players so we're not worried about winning " attitude. If we are tell me
Now, so I don't have to watch.

We should treat this like the Super Bowl. This is about building the program or its not. Winning does that, losing doesn't.

dickiedawg
12-07-2014, 05:17 PM
If we can't get pumped up and come out and play to our potential in this game, that would be extremely troubling.

It's the freaking ORANGE BOWL.

drummerdawg
12-07-2014, 05:24 PM
The way we played in the Egg Bowl worries me. But this would be a great opportunity for us to shake off that loss.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Jackie did that a couple of times, and it hurt us in bowls and thus hurt our national profile in the 90's a little bit. Dan never has done that to my knowledge.

I will say that this is an opportunity for Dan to show that he can coach in a big game and play call without being overly conservative and maybe it will get him out of his funk as a head coach/play caller going forward.

cheewgumm
12-07-2014, 05:31 PM
We need a Gator bowl v Michigan type performance. Win or lose ... All out. I really hope all the SEC teams prove a point this year , but you actually have to prove it on the field not just say it.

Tht way next year there won't be any " maybe all the sec teams are just mediocre"

HoopsDawg
12-07-2014, 05:32 PM
If we are prepared to play, we should put up 40+ points. D just need to hold them to 30 to cover spread b

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 05:39 PM
If we are prepared to play, we should put up 40+ points. D just need to hold them to 30 to cover spread b

I think we will have a hard time putting up 30 just because Tech's offense runs so much clock. It should limit our possessions.

We have to tackle better than we did in the Egg Bowl. You know they are going to go with some toss sweeps after what Ole Miss did to us with them. We can't over pursue and then have Coman tackle Chris Jones before he makes the tackle. We have to be disciplined.

RougeDawg
12-07-2014, 05:51 PM
We had the easiest game to get up for in MSU history last weekend and acted like it was a spring scrimmage. This game could spring board us into a top 5 preseason ranking next year, but after the EB I'm not getting my hopes up that we will seal the deal. We had everything to play for last week and didnt care, so why would they in this bowl game?

GTHOM
12-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Agree with a lot of this, this game will tell us a lot about our program coaches, players, everything. Hope they bounce back, gonna be about assignment football and staying focused. Easy to get distracted in miami

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2014, 05:55 PM
We need a Gator bowl v Michigan type performance. Win or lose ... All out. I really hope all the SEC teams prove a point this year , but you actually have to prove it on the field not just say it.

Tht way next year there won't be any " maybe all the sec teams are just mediocre"

SEC teams have dominated bowl games for the better part of this last decade- and been doing so while playing teams who finished higher in their respective conferences. At this point, the people who try and say this will never be convinced that the SEC is anything more than just another conference.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 05:55 PM
We had the easiest game to get up for in MSU history last weekend and acted like it was a spring scrimmage. This game could spring board us into a top 5 preseason ranking next year, but after the EB I'm not getting my hopes up that we will seal the deal. We had everything to play for last week and didnt care, so why would they in this bowl game?

Because if they don't someone's ass is going to lose a lot of confidence from the big boosters. Not saying anyone will get fired or even their seat will get warm- but some people might be starting to cut some firewood.

Dawgowar
12-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Because if they don't someone's ass is going to lose a lot of confidence from the big boosters. Not saying anyone will get fired or even their seat will get warm- but some people might be starting to cut some firewood.

And to the younger players Bowl Practice becomes Spring Practice I, they are working for PT next season starting this week.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 06:06 PM
And to the younger players Bowl Practice becomes Spring Practice I, they are working for PT next season starting this week.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the younger player do. Especially Fitzgerald, Aeries, Rashun Dixon, Donald Gray, Elgton Jenkins, Gerri Green, and Brandon Bryant. All of those guys could have a major impact next year.

I'd like to see a couple of guys switch positions too- like Zach Jackson go to FB and maybe move Jamoral Graham to DB.

State82
12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

These are my exact thoughts. At this particular time, I'm not holding my breath for anything other than what happened in Tuscaloosa and Oxford. The Orange Bowl is a pretty big stage also. I have seen how we respond to that, so it's time to show me something different.

RougeDawg
12-07-2014, 06:28 PM

The talk has already reemerged from last year. After our 1st half at Bama and Egg Bowl, the same group of prominent Alum went back to their talking point about Mullen being hard headed, conservative when ahead, and that talent and Dak were more of the reason for us being 10-2 than in game coaching and play calling. Most are former players who are influential in the decisions of the program. Consensus is Dan can recruit undervalued players and coach them up, but when it comes to in game, they have wavering faith in him out coaching someone in big games.

bulldawg28
12-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Jackie did that a couple of times, and it hurt us in bowls and thus hurt our national profile in the 90's a little bit. Dan never has done that to my knowledge.

I will say that this is an opportunity for Dan to show that he can coach in a big game and play call without being overly conservative and maybe it will get him out of his funk as a head coach/play caller going forward.

When did Jackie do this?

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what the younger player do. Especially Fitzgerald, Aeries, Rashun Dixon, Donald Gray, Elgton Jenkins, Gerri Green, and Brandon Bryant. All of those guys could have a major impact next year.

I'd like to see a couple of guys switch positions too- like Zach Jackson go to FB and maybe move Jamoral Graham to DB.

Maybe if Fitz looks good running the Georgia Tech offense in Scout team, we can incorporate a package for him to run during the season next year. Just a thought.

BoomBoom
12-07-2014, 06:38 PM
The talk has already reemerged from last year. After our 1st half at Bama and Egg Bowl, the same group of prominent Alum went back to their talking point about Mullen being hard headed, conservative when ahead, and that talent and Dak were more of the reason for us being 10-2 than in game coaching and play calling. Most are former players who are influential in the decisions of the program. Consensus is Dan can recruit undervalued players and coach them up, but when it comes to in game, they have wavering faith in him out coaching someone in big games.

all of that has been pretty obvious to those paying attention. odds are always going to be against Dan winning a NC, because there will always be a game or two where he is outcoached. but if Les can win a NC, so can Mullen. this is our lot, Dan's odds of winning a NC are low, but low is better than none, which is our alternative.

Dawgowar
12-07-2014, 06:39 PM

If these are former players who own companies and contribute loads more cash than the other alum so be it. They are entitled to their opinion. If these are former players not helping build infrastructure and the program and just bitching about the staff, screw'em. They should have zero influence. Michigan is paying the price for former player influence now. Bama wandered in the wilderness between Stallings and Saban because of former player influence. Same for Notre Dame, Miami, and Texas.

Please tell me this is just a bunch of self-inflated people grumbling and that nothing is being done to really pressure Mullen. Having visions of the Templeton crowd rising again.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2014, 06:39 PM
When did Jackie do this?

Memphis liberty bowl vs Air Force comes to mind. We got steamrolled by Ricky in the cotton bowl. 2 separate trips to the peach bowl.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 06:41 PM
When did Jackie do this?

1991, 92, 94, and 1998.

thunderclap
12-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Yep.

Percho
12-07-2014, 06:49 PM
I think we will have a hard time putting up 30 just because Tech's offense runs so much clock. It should limit our possessions.

We have to tackle better than we did in the Egg Bowl. You know they are going to go with some toss sweeps after what Ole Miss did to us with them. We can't over pursue and then have Coman tackle Chris Jones before he makes the tackle. We have to be disciplined.

Not if you cause them to have 3 and out.

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 06:52 PM
the SEC West is still undefeated against every other conference if I'm not mistaken. Be interesting to see if that can hold.

Percho
12-07-2014, 07:00 PM
OXFORD, Miss. -- Bo Wallace's first long pass of the game was a beautiful 42-yard strike to Donte Moncrief.

Mississippi liked the play so much they called it again later in the game.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Wallace threw for 294 yards and five touchdowns -- including three to Moncrief -- as the Rebels used a huge second half to beat Mississippi State 41-24 on Saturday night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The stuffed monkey spent the last year in storage, out of sight but still in everyone's mind.

Coach Pat Fitzgerald dusted it off for the Gator Bowl and even had it on the sideline Tuesday as a reminder of Northwestern's decades-long, bowl losing streak -- the ol' monkey on their backs.

Now, it's in pieces.

Behind huge interceptions early and late, Northwestern (No. 20 BCS, No. 21 AP) beat Mississippi State 34-20 and snapped college football's longest postseason losing streak.

History repeats, or learned from mistakes? Just have to wait and see.

yjnkdawg
12-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Mullen said in his presser that the Orange Bowl was the bowl that the players wanted to go to more than any other bowl (outside of being in the Championship series.) Hopefully there will be better play calling (more wide open and not predictable) and the players will be ready to play for a big win and move up in the standings as well.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-07-2014, 09:31 PM

The 2013 Gator Bowl. Denico Autry and JRob seemed like the only ones to show up for that game.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Mullen said in his presser that the Orange Bowl was the bowl that the players wanted to go to more than any other bowl (outside of being in the Championship series.) Hopefully there will be better play calling (more wide open and not predictable) and the players will be ready to play for a big win and move up in the standings as well.

Maybe that explains the egg bowl. They wanted the Orange and Miami, not New Orleans********

IMissJack
12-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Memphis liberty bowl vs Air Force comes to mind. We got steamrolled by Ricky in the cotton bowl. 2 separate trips to the peach bowl.

Air Force game was pathetic. We had the whole Liberty Bowl full of MSU fans, playing a team we outweighed 40 lbs. per man, and got owned.

EAVdog
12-07-2014, 09:49 PM
According to CFB Matrix Mullen has a 96% win rate against any team with equal or lesser talent. We've broken nearly every record for Offense set at this school under Mullen. Whoever ex-player can't get their head out of their ass by now needs to find another team to support.

Smitty
12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
like Zach Jackson go to FB

Now you're catching on

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Maybe that explains the egg bowl. They wanted the Orange and Miami, not New Orleans********

What's funny is if we were Ole Miss and had just lost the Egg Bowl, this is what Yancy would say and be serious about it.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 10:46 PM
According to CFB Matrix Mullen has a 96% win rate against any team with equal or lesser talent. We've broken nearly every record for Offense set at this school under Mullen. Whoever ex-player can't get their head out of their ass by now needs to find another team to support.

Exactly. This is our point. Dan needs to coach better to beat someone with equal or better talent.

Smitty
12-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Exactly. This is our point. Dan needs to coach better to beat someone with equal or better talent.

This all day long

msstate7
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Lsu and auburn's talent < miss state's talent?

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 11:07 PM

Well, maybe. The matrix he is using claims that we win 96% of the time we have better talent, so according to them probably. It's not my matrix.

Honestly, I don't think our talent is bad at all. We have a Heisman contender at QB. Josh is going to be a Doak Walker candidate. Bear is a three year guy and should be a Biletnikoff candidate. Senior, Clayborn, and Malone are all young but have NFL potential. Chris Jones is a three year guy. McKinney is a leaving a year early. Beni Brown and Wells are probably going to be in the NFL. Preston Smith is a NFL guy. Redmond and Calhoun are probably going to the NFL as well and Redmond is probably going to compete for the Thorpe Award.

EAVdog
12-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Well, maybe. The matrix he is using claims that we win 96% of the time we have better talent, so according to them probably. It's not my matrix.

Honestly, I don't think our talent is bad at all. We have a Heisman contender at QB. Josh is going to be a Doak Walker candidate. Bear is a three year guy and should be a Biletnikoff candidate. Senior, Clayborn, and Malone are all young but have NFL potential. Chris Jones is a three year guy. McKinney is a leaving a year early. Beni Brown and Wells are probably going to be in the NFL. Preston Smith is a NFL guy. Redmond and Calhoun are probably going to the NFL as well and Redmond is probably going to compete for the Thorpe Award.

But it seems pretty hard to out coach Saban and his #1 recruiting classes every year. And the matrix is 'better or equal'. I'm not saying the CFB Matrix is perfect but Mullen has a + effect based on their system. Which means his coaching is the factor creating the wins.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2014, 11:56 PM

Rouge, just stop it.

I know many former players, and many are dumb. Many times, former players lack a big picture view of how things are going, lack the understanding of how college football is a business, and, most of all, they can't evaluate their own talent. Because they all thought they were NFL players, they sometimes never understand that many of these teams have better players than us.

Sure they can break down Xs and Os and know a ton about the game, but, many times, they lack a big picture view. It's why so many former players don't usually make good athletic directors or GMs

Lastly, we'll be up for this game because the pressure is off. I think many of our "energy" problems at the end of the year were due to being exhausted from pressure, playing tight, and playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

In the Orange Bowl, I expect us to play free, excited, and lay it all out there. When we do that, we are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in college football.

TUSK
12-08-2014, 12:06 AM

no.

SallyStansbury
12-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Rouge, just stop it.

I know many former players, and many are dumb. Many times, former players lack a big picture view of how things are going, lack the understanding of how college football is a business, and, most of all, they can't evaluate their own talent. Because they all thought they were NFL players, they sometimes never understand that many of these teams have better players than us.

Should we just shut up and be happy winning 8 or so games per year? Or should we devise and implement strategies to beat Olemiss and Alabama who have talent enough to go head to head with us. They make that final chess move and we stand there glassy eyed? Or should we respond with our own chess move?

Sure they can break down Xs and Os and know a ton about the game, but, many times, they lack a big picture view. It's why so many former players don't usually make good athletic directors or GMs

Lastly, we'll be up for this game because the pressure is off. I think many of our "energy" problems at the end of the year were due to being exhausted from pressure, playing tight, and playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

I think you are wrong here. I think past evidence suggests Mullen is bitching at assistants, pointing fingers, speaking bitterly of execution and defensive intensity while he and bff Hev chest bump about their new wrinkle to run Dak "effectively" up the middle vs Tech.

In the Orange Bowl, I expect us to play free, excited, and lay it all out there. When we do that, we are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in college football.

Won't happen. Think Northwestern bowl game. Think Olemiss after the Bama beatdown, think the Tyler Russel offense after he had the whole summer to prep something different.....but didn't.

There is a flowchart for winning big from where we are now, and it is to Mullen's credit that we are even having this discussion at all! Try to follow along:
1. Mullen tweaks his strategy to defeat what Olemiss & Bama & tech (to OSU) did to defeat us.
(Appears to be too stubborn to admit this has happened or too risk averse to implement alternative strategy)

2. Stick with current strategy and recruit superior talent at Oline to guarantee success.
(Hev = asshole so highly ranked linemen with options choose to play elsewhere thereby limiting our odds of #2 working) *yeah I know Hev is a good position coach, spare me.

So what do we do?

dogmatic
12-08-2014, 10:30 AM
That Liberty Bowl "performance" will always haunt me as a fan. The guys were so hung over, you could take their pulse from 40 rows up in the stands.

Political Hack
12-08-2014, 10:36 AM
That Liberty Bowl "performance" will always haunt me as a fan. The guys were so hung over, you could take their pulse from 40 rows up in the stands.

you mean Gator?