PDA

View Full Version : Everyone watches the NYE night game....

BogeyGolfer
12-07-2014, 03:16 PM
A lot of eyes will be on us... I wish we were playing another team though.

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I thought everyone watches the ball drop and goes to NYE parties.

dickiedawg
12-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Don't get this line of thinking. GT is by far the best matchup we could have hoped for.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Don't get this line of thinking. GT is by far the best matchup we could have hoped for.

Exactly. At this point, I just want the win. We aren't playing for a natty, anymore, but there is still prestige to be had. Tech is a quality opponent, but probably the most beatable of the newyears 6 teams, and I'm glad we get them.

If we get to 11 wins, that's the greatest season in MSU history. I'll take that any day.

BogeyGolfer
12-07-2014, 03:24 PM
I thought everyone watches the ball drop and goes to NYE parties.

So, you haven't watched the peach bowl the last 15 years?

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Exactly. At this point, I just want the win. We aren't playing for a natty, anymore, but there is still prestige to be had. Tech is a quality opponent, but probably the most beatable of the newyears 6 teams, and I'm glad we get them.

If we get to 11 wins, that's the greatest season in MSU history. I'll take that any day.

This, this this. AND it's the freaking ORANGE BOWL! We have a chance to win the Orange Bowl and get to 11 wins, and potentially finish in the Top 5! How is everyone not fired up about this?

I think we had all expected Cotton or Peach, so we have been trying to convince ourselves that all big 6 bowls are created equal, and that we wanted the Peach vs a Big 12 team so we could all travel easily.....Etc. But Now, we are in the most prestigious of all non playoff games, and we are playing a good team, but a team we can beat. To me, this is the best non-playoff scenario you could have drawn up. Basically this is where we would have been sent even if we had beaten OM if OSU had jumped us too. Can't beat this IMO.

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 03:31 PM
So, you haven't watched the peach bowl the last 15 years?

if I did I don't remember it.***

BeardoMSU
12-07-2014, 03:34 PM
We have a chance to win the Orange Bowl and get to 11 wins, and potentially finish in the Top 5! How is everyone not fired up about this?

http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.gif

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 03:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.gif

Beardo, you totally break that out at the right time...every time.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2014, 03:57 PM
All good points. But to answer the question about the "downside", defeating #5 Baylor or #6 TCU would be better than defeating #12 GT. If there is a concern, it's if we got passed in the final rankings by #8 Michigan State if they beat #5 Baylor, and/or #9 TSUN if they whip #6 TCU.

But from an advantageous matchup for us, this is really good, assuming we can get our guys ready to handle the triple option. Defensively, it's not all about being bigger and more athletic, it's about whether our guys can remain disciplined and play assignment football. Those of us around long enough to remember our bowl game versus Air Force will know what I'm talking about.

GTHOM
12-07-2014, 04:29 PM
All good points. But to answer the question about the "downside", defeating #5 Baylor or #6 TCU would be better than defeating #12 GT. If there is a concern, it's if we got passed in the final rankings by #8 Michigan State if they beat #5 Baylor, and/or #9 TSUN if they whip #6 TCU.

But from an advantageous matchup for us, this is really good, assuming we can get our guys ready to handle the triple option. Defensively, it's not all about being bigger and more athletic, it's about whether our guys can remain disciplined and play assignment football. Those of us around long enough to remember our bowl game versus Air Force will know what I'm talking about.

They are 1-5 in bowl games under paul johnson. lot of time to prepare for them, no excuses. we should win this game, our offense should light them up, on D you hit it right, assignment football. Mullen played them in 09 and we hung in there, i think they won the orange bowl that year

Sienfield
12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
This game will not be about defending the GT option.It will be about us scoring more points to beat them.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2014, 05:04 PM
This game will not be about defending the GT option.It will be about us scoring more points to beat them.

It's always about scoring more points than them, but I get what you infer. Yet, I would not agree this is about our offense simply out-scoring their offense. We need to shut down their offense by forcing them into 2nd & long and 3rd and long. If we don't, they will have a better chance to control the pace, keeping Dak & Co off the field as much as possible.

I don't think they'll be able to, I just think a key to our success will be on our defense's ability to maintain discipline, adjust to the TO, and stuff their run.

Todd4State
12-07-2014, 05:50 PM

We should and would have beaten Air Force if Jackie had focused more on winning the game rather than rewarding our players. We actually ran the wishbone a good bit ourselves that year, so we should have been better equipped to handle it in theory.

Dan's not going to allow our team to mess around like Jackie.

The thing that is worrisome is we literally have not played a flexbone team since the last time we played Georgia Tech. We don't know how our guys are going to react to it. And I'm sure the 1B's will see some action like they always do...