PDA

View Full Version : We now know for sure...........

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2014, 01:38 PM
that it wouldn't have mattered if we had beaten the Bears, we were NOT going to be in the playoff. The fix was in for OSU as long as they didn't lose.

Political Hack
12-07-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm still not sure. they won BIG so it's hard to say that the way they won against a ranked team didn't influence the jump.

engie
12-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Yes we do.

I'm not sure that the sting is any greater from losing to OM and legitimately taking ourselves out of the conversation vs beating OM and feeling totally abandoned and screwed here today -- and ultimately ending up in the same damn bowl game or arguably a better one(I prefer Atl/Dallas to Miami for travel reasons).

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 01:50 PM
that it wouldn't have mattered if we had beaten the Bears, we were NOT going to be in the playoff. The fix was in for OSU as long as they didn't lose.

I don't know that at all. We would have been in with an 11-1 record (only loss to #1). We were the most respected team by the committee all year. I think we would have been #2 above Oregon in the final poll, but no way we weren't in the top 4. No way.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I don't know that at all. We would have been in with an 11-1 record (only loss to #1). We were the most respected team by the committee all year. I think we would have been #2 above Oregon in the final poll, but no way we weren't in the top 4. No way.

Disagree. We wouldn't have had a conference championship on our resume. Ohio State would have gotten the nod regardless after that win over Wisconsin. I think that is fairly clear. Especially as we sat at home while TCU, Baylor, and OSU won. I have zero doubt that we were out regardless of the Egg Bowl outcome.

engie
12-07-2014, 01:55 PM

They weren't going to bump us to #2 above Oregon. This was a name recognition deal. Not who deserved to be where. We'd have gotten the exact same treatment today that TCU did -- who has an infinitely better body of work than Ohio St.

dawgclub99
12-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Nope our loss made it easier for them to pick tOSU. We would have been in.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2014, 02:15 PM
I think if we had beaten TSUN badly, we would have stayed in the Top 4. A narrow win may have left us vulnerable to Ohio State, but not as vulnerable as TCU or Baylor. I also agree with those who say it was the way OSU dismantled a Wisconsin that was perceived to be a tough out at least.

Had we whipped a higher-ranked TSUN, I think that would have been enough to withstand at least a closer OSU win over Wisconsin, and maybe even the blowout. But I was never one of those who felt, "just win and we're in". Always felt we would have at least been vulnerable to a big OSU win and/or a Baylor win.

Sacrifice
12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
With this playoff format, I don't see the SEC ever getting more than one team in. You'll have to win the conference with 0 or 1 lost.

LC Dawg
12-07-2014, 02:20 PM
As bad as I hated losing the Egg Bowl I think I feel better knowing we legitimately lost out on the playoffs on the field as opposed to losing out on the playoffs due to political correctness.