PDA

View Full Version : No matter what the Committee decides, Playoff >> BCS

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 10:57 AM
With the BCS, we'd have Florida State and Alabama, and it would be 2012 Bama-Notre Dame all over again.

It still needs to be 8, but 4 > 2.

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 11:01 AM
With the BCS, we'd have Florida State and Alabama, and it would be 2012 Bama-Notre Dame all over again.

you got too be kidding. This is terrible. Give me Fla st. and bam a in the NC over this chinese fire drill. tcu, baylor, and OSU don't have any business in a NC.

Ralph
12-07-2014, 11:04 AM
I've decided I hate the committee. The BCS should should choose the top 4. Cutout conf champ games. Make it 8 teams. 17 the committee.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 11:07 AM
you got too be kidding. This is terrible. Give me Fla st. and bam a in the NC over this chinese fire drill. tcu, baylor, and OSU don't have any business in a NC.

You've gotta be kidding. That Alabama - Notre Dame game was awful and everybody knew it was coming. You really wish we could have another one this year?

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I've decided I hate the committee. The BCS should should choose the top 4. Cutout conf champ games. Make it 8 teams. 17 the committee.

I agree that a formula would be superior to a Committee, but the BCS was just an awful, non-mathematically valid formula. 5 of the 6 computer polls were made up by people without mathematical/statistical backgrounds, and the Coaches' Poll includes people blatantly voting out of self interest. If we can find a mathematically valid formula that we can all agree on, then yes, 17 the committee.

chef dixon
12-07-2014, 11:36 AM

How can any legit MSU fan seriously be against the playoff? There is no chance in hell that we win anything in a top 2 team format. There is 100 years of evidence.

Saltydog
12-07-2014, 11:38 AM
nt

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I think eventually we will get to what it should be....and that is a computer system that ranks the teams. I would like it to be at least 8 teams in the playoff, but as long as a computer ranks the teams and takes out subjectivity, I can even live with a 4 team playoff. I just feel like, much like this season, their could be more than 4 teams capable of winning it...so expand it to at least 8. I doubt anybody outside of the top 8 realistically has a shot at winning it anyway. But the more the better IMO....after all, moving it to 16 would give us a great shot at it every season.

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 11:45 AM
How can any legit MSU fan seriously be against the playoff? There is no chance in hell that we win anything in a top 2 team format. There is 100 years of evidence.

are you crazy? If we win the west and beat mizzou we were in a NC game. Now if you are assuming we can't ever win our division then yes you are right we have no chance at a NC. If you want us to play like we have for 100 years (your "evidence") and get into a NC playoff then you are right there needs to be radical big changes to the system. I didn't know that was the goal with y'all. I guess we have different visions of a football NC.

chef dixon
12-07-2014, 11:46 AM
I think eventually we will get to what it should be....and that is a computer system that ranks the teams. I would like it to be at least 8 teams in the playoff, but as long as a computer ranks the teams and takes out subjectivity, I can even live with a 4 team playoff. I just feel like, much like this season, their could be more than 4 teams capable of winning it...so expand it to at least 8. I doubt anybody outside of the top 8 realistically has a shot at winning it anyway. But the more the better IMO....after all, moving it to 16 would give us a great shot at it every season.

I agree. 4 is a huge step, 8 seems to be the most ideal, and 16 would be my favorite since I'm a fan of MSU. A 16 team playoff would be incredible 4 weeks of TV, you're talking about every single game played in the tournament would be a likely Gameday destination during the regular season.

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I agree. 4 is a huge step, 8 seems to be the most ideal, and 16 would be my favorite since I'm a fan of MSU. A 16 team playoff would be incredible 4 weeks of TV, you're talking about every single game played in the tournament would be a likely Gameday destination during the regular season.

I got a better idea. Check out the sport called basketball, it's played right after football, I think. From what I've heard about it it seems it would right down your alley. 70 something teams in a playoff that last a couple months.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Yep, and another thing to consider is this...

Teams would be far more likely to schedule tough OOC games if there was a 16 team playoff, because 1 loss wouldn't risk knocking themselves out of the discussion. It would make the entire season better because you could schedule tough OOC and still get into the playoff with a few losses to great teams.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 12:10 PM
A 16-team playoff would presumably have an autobid for all conference champions. We'd see something like:

16 Georgia Southern @ 1 Alabama
9 Ole Miss @ 8 Michigan State

13 Marshall @ 4 TCU
12 Boise State @ 5 Ohio State

14 Northern Illinois @ 3 Florida State
11 Arizona @ 6 Baylor

15 Memphis @ 2 Oregon
10 Georgia Tech @ 7 Mississippi State

Seeds 9-11 are just my best guess.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2014, 12:16 PM
A 16-team playoff would presumably have an autobid for all conference champions. We'd see something like:

16 Georgia Southern @ 1 Alabama
9 Ole Miss @ 8 Michigan State

13 Marshall @ 4 TCU
12 Boise State @ 5 Ohio State

14 Northern Illinois @ 3 Florida State
11 Arizona @ 6 Baylor

15 Memphis @ 2 Oregon
10 Georgia Tech @ 7 Mississippi State

Seeds 9-11 are just my best guess.

First round would have some pretty awful matchups, I hate the auto bid argument for those non power 5 conferences. But the second round would be great...

Bama vs Ole Miss
TCU vs Ohio State
Florida State vs Baylor
Oregon vs Mississippi State

Bring that shit on! Better yet, if they're going to put Georgia Southern in if it goes to 16 teams....then keep it at 8 with no auto bids.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 12:31 PM
It would be an extra reward for the absolute best, though. Alabama beat us so they get to play Georgia Southern while we have to play Georgia Tech. If we'd beaten them, we'd have GSU and they'd have GT. Makes those late regular season games between 2 teams who are in anyway a little more important.

engie
12-07-2014, 01:09 PM
I agree that a formula would be superior to a Committee, but the BCS was just an awful, non-mathematically valid formula. 5 of the 6 computer polls were made up by people without mathematical/statistical backgrounds, and the Coaches' Poll includes people blatantly voting out of self interest. If we can find a mathematically valid formula that we can all agree on, then yes, 17 the committee.

50 people voting out of self-interest to provide 33% of a vote > 12 people voting out of self interest to provide 100% of a vote.

Each person in this setup has 8.3% of the total vote. In the BCS, each person had under one percent. Even the computer rankings, considered as one person, which actually had the 6th "outlier" thrown out, each ranking had only 5.5% of the total effect.

The greater number of people involved, the less likely for a skew...

engie
12-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Which is why it should stay at 8.

You go to 16, you could make the argument for scheduling heavier, but you could also make it for scheduling lighter. You don't want it to get to the point that a loss doesn't hurt you or scheduling patsies/playing in a small conference helps you. At least, I don't want it to.

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 01:14 PM
50 people voting out of self-interest to provide 33% of a vote > 12 people voting out of self interest to proved 100% of a vote.

Each person in this setup has 8.3% of the total vote. In the BCS, each person had under one percent. Even the computer rankings, considered as one person, which actually had the 6th "outlier" thrown out, each ranking had only 5.5% of the total effect.

The greater number of people involved, the less likely for a skew...

That there is what we call "big data". It's always right, but doesn't fit in this situation. Gambling - yes, Polls - probably not.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Despite the complete travesty of today's Committee rankings, it's still better than the BCS. Long live the playoff!

scottycameron
12-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Despite the complete travesty of today's Committee rankings, it's still better than the BCS. Long live the playoff!

seriously, you need to check out basketball.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Nope, any hope of that went totally out the window with Ohio State's selection. This is ALL politics. The BCS was 1000 times better.

engie
12-07-2014, 01:30 PM
That there is what we call "big data". It's always right, but doesn't fit in this situation. Gambling - yes, Polls - probably not.

The BCS formula worked from 2004 forward every year. With very few legit arguments to be made...

People can argue that the 2 team championship was broken -- and I'd mostly agree. But the most recent iteration of that formula worked and worked extremely well.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 02:15 PM
seriously, you need to check out basketball.

You should check out European soccer. American sports have playoffs. Period.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/320px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

IMissJack
12-07-2014, 02:20 PM

No way, as long as they don't put the best teams in, and think all conference champs are the same.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2014, 02:21 PM
The BCS formula worked from 2004 forward every year. With very few legit arguments to be made...

People can argue that the 2 team championship was broken -- and I'd mostly agree. But the most recent iteration of that formula worked and worked extremely well.

Auburn wasn't close to the 2nd best team in the country last year.
Notre Dame wasn't close to the 10th best team in the country 2 years ago.
LSU and Alabama were the two best teams 3 years ago, but most fans outside the SEC were really mad that they got matched up.

And that's just the last 3 years... The BCS left out major-conference undefeated teams twice, and teams outside the major conferences never had any chance whatsoever to get it, including the teams that were legitimately good enough like 2010 TCU and 2008 Utah. In 2003 the #1 team in the AP Poll was left out. In 2001 and 2011 teams that didn't win their division got in to the top 2 (not a problem for me, but a lot of people disagreed). In 2000 an 11-1 team got into the championship game over an 11-1 team that beat them.

That just goes to show that the BCS formula didn't always work as well as it's made it to be nowadays. In fact, it only went without controversy a couple times.

IMissJack
12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Nope, any hope of that went totally out the window with Ohio State's selection. This is ALL politics. The BCS was 1000 times better.

Would LSU vs. Bama rematch ever have happened this year? I doubt it. They were going to put in OSU.

Sacrifice
12-07-2014, 02:35 PM
They got what they wanted, everybody's talking college football like never before. Hell, I'm watching sportscenter instead of NFL football....