PDA

View Full Version : I think you have to go TCU with the final spot

HSVDawg
12-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Regardless of today's events, they are the only team without a glaring flaw on their resume. OSU has the Va Tech loss. Baylor has an abysmal nonconference schedule as well as the second worst loss of anybody in the CFP Top 10. All TCU has is a 3 point loss on the road to a CFP Top 10 team. Seems like a no brainer to me, but too many of these talking heads (including two OSU alumni on ESPN) can't stop talking about the ever subjective eye test. Hopefully the playoff committee does the right thing tomorrow.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 12:14 AM
Tcu --
Top 25 wins: Kansas state
Loss: at Baylor

Ohio state--
Top 25 wins: Michigan state, Wiscon
Loss: VT

Baylor --
Top 25 wins: tcu, Kansas state
Loss: at WV

(Didn't count oklahoma in top 25 bc they'll certainly fall out)

Smitty
12-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Top 25 is a sham.. TCU has the best resume and best loss… Would be a travesty if they are left out.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 12:19 AM
Top 25 is a sham.. TCU has the best resume and best loss… Would be a travesty if they are left out.

Tcu has best loss, but not best win. In fact they lost head to head with Baylor

HSVDawg
12-07-2014, 12:26 AM

The best loss has to count for something. You can't have a team in the 4 team playoff for the friggen national title that has proven on the field that they can lose to any team with a pulse. Two of the three teams in question have done exactly that, and one hasn't. Va Tech is a garbage 6-6 ACC team and WVU is a mediocre at best 7-5 Big 12 team. No team that loses to either of them should be in the conversation.

msstate7
12-07-2014, 12:30 AM
The best loss has to count for something. You can't have a team in the 4 team playoff for the friggen national title that has proven on the field that they can lose to any team with a pulse. Two of the three teams in question have done exactly that, and one hasn't. Va Tech is a garbage 6-6 ACC team and WVU is a mediocre at best 7-5 Big 12 team. No team that loses to either of them should be in the conversation.

I'd argue tcu beating Kansas (3-9) by 4 points is Close to the same black eye as losing to bowl teams

BulldogBear
12-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Which IS a glaring flaw! The travesty will be if TCU gets in. I like them. I really do, but once Baylor and TCU could not both get in, TCU would've been off my ballot. TCU had a chance none of the others had, a game against one of the contenders. LOST. Why is this even an issue. They have a great resume, but the worst kind of flaw you can have, a loss to one of the other contenders.

Maroonthirteen
12-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I agree the final spot should go to TCU. For all the reasons already covered.

It is ashame for Baylor and OhSt but they had bad losses. They needed help (FSU or one another losing) and didn't get it. Sucks for them but that's life.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2014, 11:19 AM
If they take TCU over Baylor then this system has to go after one year. My guess is they solve the problem by taking neither and putting Ohio State in. If they do that then it needs to go as well.

chef dixon
12-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Let's be honest, all 3 of these teams deserve to be in the playoff. The arguments people are having to make for one team or another are pretty ridiculous if you take a step back and think about it. All of them made statements here at the end of the season, and it sucks that we were the only team in contention that shit the bed. All I can draw positive from it is that we won't be epically disappointed like 2 of these 3 teams will be today during the selection show.

HSVDawg
12-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Which IS a glaring flaw! The travesty will be if TCU gets in. I like them. I really do, but once Baylor and TCU could not both get in, TCU would've been off my ballot. TCU had a chance none of the others had, a game against one of the contenders. LOST. Why is this even an issue. They have a great resume, but the worst kind of flaw you can have, a loss to one of the other contenders.

By that same logic, we should have been out of the discussion as soon as we lost to Bama. Do you agree with that?

BulldogBear
12-07-2014, 08:06 PM
By that same logic, we should have been out of the discussion as soon as we lost to Bama. Do you agree with that?

If the choice for number 4 came down to us or Bama (say, FSU, TCU, Oregon were undefeated with good wins) then yes. Of course.

Bama and State is not the issue today. We made that clear losing to Ole Miss.

Martianlander
12-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Don't understand how TCU can be number 3 one week, win 55 to 3-even though weak competition, and be left out. Committee caved.

BulldogBear
12-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Someone said in another threat that media types ought not to be able to do what amounts to lobbying for their alma mater. Not sure how to enforce it but you kind of look at how it went down and wonder if there is something to this. How do you lose to a .500 team and get in the playoff? HFS

DudyDawg
12-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Don't understand how TCU can be number 3 one week, win 55 to 3-even though weak competition, and be left out. Committee caved.

Because the resumes weren't complete. The committee stated over and over that all they were gonna do is look at what happened, not the games later. Once Baylor competed their resume it was the same as tcu with a win OVER TCU. Tcu out. Ohio state then completed thek resume, which now included a conference title, and jumped. I think they did a good job, although I probably would've put Baylor in

BulldogBear
12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Because the resumes weren't complete. The committee stated over and over that all they were gonna do is look at what happened, not the games later. Once Baylor competed their resume it was the same as tcu with a win OVER TCU. Tcu out. Ohio state then completed thek resume, which now included a conference title, and jumped. I think they did a good job, although I probably would've put Baylor in

I think what they need to do is just use the poll till the end and then put out the "final four." Then it wouldn't feel like you were in and now out for no particular reason.

DudyDawg
12-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I think what they need to do is just use the poll till the end and then put out the "final four." Then it wouldn't feel like you were in and now out for no particular reason.

I agree. I think presentation leaves some left to be desired

fishwater99
12-08-2014, 05:10 PM

Exactly.. The Big 12 did this to themselves by not having a championship. Baylor beat TCU and is ahead of them as they should be.
They made the right choice.