PDA

View Full Version : Time to get rid of the Conference Championship Games?

Quaoarsking
12-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Clay Travis argues this today: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/end-conference-title-games-expand-playoff-to-eight-next-year-120314

His argument is that Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, (Marshall, Boise State, etc.) are already obviously the best teams in their conference, so why make them play another "championship" game? CCGs have much more often screwed teams over than helped get them into the top 2/4, and teams often feel like they're better off sitting out and not playing in the CCG rather than going and risking a loss (like many of us were a couple weeks ago).

Instead, abolish divisions and the CCG. The SEC can have 3 permanent opponents and 5 rotating, meaning you play everyone home and away at least once in a 4-year period. If two teams finish tied atop the standings, then use tiebreakers or declare them co-champions (which was very common before 1992).

Make everyone wrap up their conference seasons by the last week of November, and then instead of playing CCGs the first week of December, expand the playoffs to 8 and play the first round then. That way, no one can claim use the "too many games" or "too much class missed" arguments. Let the quarterfinal losers still play in bowls, and let each of the five major conferences have an automatic bid to the playoffs.

Thoughts? I think he's right on. I also think the Committee would have done the rankings a little differently if the Big 12 had already wrapped up its schedule and they knew the top 8 all made it, so I think we probably would have made it in ahead of Michigan State or Arizona. Plus, if the whole country had played a different schedule with no divisions, who knows what everyone's record would be.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 06:10 PM
I think he's right, but it won't happen because of $$$$.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm in. You'd have to find a way to make up for the lost money though

Quaoarsking
12-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Clay Travis says, although he doesn't show his work or cite any source, that the quarterfinal playoff games would bring in more money to the conferences than the conference championship games do.

BulldogBear
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
No. REQUIRE a conference championship game. In effect, it can add another layer to the playoffs and force non power 5s to have one to even be in the conversation. One more chance for a 12-0 Baylor or for that matter 12-0 Arkansas State to lose. The only issue is what to do with 11-1s that didn't make conference championship game. I love how the big 12 goes on about "true champion," yet they handed out a trophy today with a game left to be played tonight and another trophy is gauranteed. I thing CCG add another factor/layer to determining a conference champion that is especially needed when you have 14 and cannot even mathematically hope to play a round robin.

Smitty
12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Eliminate CCG's
Play 8 conference games and TWO power 5 opponents - don't bitch the best 8 will be determined.
Put the quarterfinals and semifinals ON CAMPUS. Highest seed hosts.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 06:54 PM
If you are in the SEC, you want the SECCG eliminated... if not, you may need it these days....

sleepy dawg
12-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Eliminate CCG's
Play 8 conference games and TWO power 5 opponents - don't bitch the best 8 will be determined.

This will work out well for the UABs out there.**

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Clay Travis says, although he doesn't show his work or cite any source, that the quarterfinal playoff games would bring in more money to the conferences than the conference championship games do.

I'd love to see the math on this. How does splitting 2 semi-final games between 5 power conferences, equal the same amount of money that 1 title game split 1 way?

Smitty
12-06-2014, 07:02 PM
This will work out well for the UABs out there.**

IDGAF.

Going Division 4 anyway without those scrubs.

Quaoarsking
12-06-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd love to see the math on this. How does splitting 2 semi-final games between 5 power conferences, equal the same amount of money that 1 title game split 1 way?

Well it would be 4 quarterfinal games split evenly, and the Pac-12 and ACC CGs are usually half-full. I think he's assuming that the allure of the playoff and the presumption that the games would be sell outs and highly rated would make more money. I think he might be right, but I'd love to see an analysis on it.

Eliminate CCG's
Strongly agree on the home sites. It would guarantee a sellout crowd for every game, rather than a half-empty NFL stadium.

DanDority
12-06-2014, 07:23 PM
I think he's right, but it won't happen because of $$$$.

It's that simple!