PDA

View Full Version : When is Bama going to put in the 1B's?

HoopsDawg
12-06-2014, 05:13 PM
They must not have our depth.**

starkvegasdawg
12-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Bowl practice Monday.

GreenheadDawg
12-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Saban is missing a good opportunity get his back ups some reps!** winning be damned

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 05:22 PM
They're up by 11 now in the second quarter. I bet Saban puts in the back-ups the rest of the game.**

HoopsDawg
12-06-2014, 05:25 PM
They are going to really struggle next year since they haven't developed any back ups.**

GreenheadDawg
12-06-2014, 05:30 PM
How will the backups ever learn if you don't let them get burnt in every game they play in **

msstate7
12-06-2014, 05:30 PM
They are going to really struggle next year since they haven't developed any back ups.**

Obviously bama won't, but I do think us using 1bs will help us next season. My problem with it is that is should've stopped at the kentucky game. During the Kentucky game, we should've started plugging in a few 1bs with the 1as. By stopping it during the ky game, we could've started stretching the 1a's out more so they would be ready for bama and OM, but be fresh from the 1b's playing a lot early in the year

MSUDawg4Life
12-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if the process developing a team of 5-star backups is different from developing a team of 3-star backups. Wonder if the 3-stars would benefit from a little more game experience ....

Smitty
12-06-2014, 05:36 PM
When they're up 30 in the 4th

TUSK
12-06-2014, 05:38 PM
We don't have "1b's".

Smitty
12-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if the process developing a team of 5-star backups is different from developing a team of 3-star backups. Wonder if the 3-stars would benefit from a little more game experience ....

Don't act like they need to play in the biggest games in the most crucial to develop. Inexcusable to defend 1B after those losses.

MSUDawg4Life
12-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Don't act like they need to play in the biggest games in the most crucial to develop. Inexcusable to defend 1B after those losses.

Inexcusable to act like you know what's best for our team. You don't. Shut up.

Smitty
12-06-2014, 05:45 PM

I like to mirror success.. Successful teams don't sit their best players during the biggest games during crucial times..

Did we win the Egg Bowl 4Life? I forgot.

defiantdog
12-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Bama switches their dline and lbs constantly. The safeties and secondary are there till the end though. We simply need to keep our best players on the field whenever we can.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Obviously bama won't, but I do think us using 1bs will help us next season. My problem with it is that is should've stopped at the kentucky game. During the Kentucky game, we should've started plugging in a few 1bs with the 1as. By stopping it during the ky game, we could've started stretching the 1a's out more so they would be ready for bama and OM, but be fresh from the 1b's playing a lot early in the year

The real problem is we wholesale substitute when we should mix and match. THAT'S how you get the back-ups experience without compromising quality.

MSUDawg4Life
12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I like to mirror success.. Successful teams don't sit their best players during the biggest games during crucial times..

Did we win the Egg Bowl 4Life? I forgot.

You're a complete idiot if you think we or any other team in this country can "mirror" Bama.

Hush.

Smitty
12-06-2014, 05:51 PM
The real problem is we wholesale substitute when we should mix and match. THAT'S how you get the back-ups experience without compromising quality.

Yep

Smitty
12-06-2014, 05:56 PM
You're a complete idiot if you think we or any other team in this country mirrors Bama.

Hush.

Would you like to pinch hit for Gavin Collins one out of every three of his AB's this year?

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 06:02 PM
You're a complete idiot if you think we or any other team in this country can "mirror" Bama.

Hush.

They're just impossible to beat. I don't know why we even show up.**

MSUDawg4Life
12-06-2014, 06:05 PM
They're just impossible to beat. I don't know why we even show up.**

Never said they were impossible to beat.

But, to suggest that we develop our team the same way they develop theirs without taking talent and experience differences into account is ludicrous.

LC Dawg
12-06-2014, 06:05 PM
It's a little amusing that while bitching about how we lost the Egg Bowl the team that is being lauded as who we should emulate also lost in Oxford.

Apoplectic
12-06-2014, 06:11 PM

What dumbass coach sits a first round draft pick LB for nearly half a game and then watches the opposing team attack his inept replacement? Then that same coach continues to repeat this dumbassery in the biggest game in school history and again his 5.2 replacement is burned on the exact previous play. What dumbass witness to this can defend it?

GreenheadDawg
12-06-2014, 06:13 PM
What dumbass coach sits a first round draft pick LB for nearly half a game and then watches the opposing team attack his inept replacement? Then that same coach continues to repeat this dumbassery in the biggest game in school history and again his 5.2 replacement is burned on the exact previous play. What dumbass witness to this can defend it?

You're pissing in the wind. He is one of those posters that you can't reason with on this subject

msstate7
12-06-2014, 06:19 PM

I guess the same one that got us to 10 wins, #1 ranking, and currently in the top 10. We should fire that bum******

IMissJack
12-06-2014, 06:24 PM
I wish he would mirror some OL recruiting success.

Smitty
12-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I guess the same one that got us to 10 wins, #1 ranking, and currently in the top 10. We should fire that bum******

You're better than that

CadaverDawg
12-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Wonder what the Egg Bowl would have been like if Zach Jackson and Turtle Holmes had not played and Wells and Benny were in on their snaps? Go back and watch the film.. Might have changed the outcome. 1B shit needs to stop in key games, and needs to stop as a wholesale position group change. People can defend it if they want..but a 10-2 season could have possibly been 11-1 and a trip to the playoffs and National Title possibly without it. I think considering the ramifications, I would have taken my chances with a winded Benny and Cheetah. But by all means, defend it since we had a great year.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Wonder what the Egg Bowl would have been like if Zach Jackson and Turtle Holmes had not played and Wells and Benny were in on their snaps? Go back and watch the film.. Might have changed the outcome. 1B shit needs to stop in key games, and needs to stop as a wholesale position group change. People can defend it if they want..but a 10-2 season could have possibly been 11-1 and a trip to the playoffs and National Title possibly without it. I think considering the ramifications, I would have taken my chances with a winded Benny and Cheetah. But by all means, defend it since we had a great year.

This mentality by some of our fans is why we end up staying with a guy like Ron Polk too long- and then eventually drop off.

CadaverDawg
12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
This mentality by some of our fans is why we end up staying with a guy like Ron Polk too long- and then eventually drop off.

Yup

HoopsDawg
12-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Really dude? ******* a good coach but he is far from perfect. It's ok to 2nd guess things that are stupid.

Smitty
12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
That Egg Bowl will cause my blood pressure to rise every time I think about it until we make a playoff… I am still furious just thinking about it

HoopsDawg
12-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Never said they were impossible to beat.

But, to suggest that we develop our team the same way they develop theirs without taking talent and experience differences into account is ludicrous.

Can we develop our team like OM? Because they don't rotate their back 7 either? Pls don't respond, this is a rhetorical question and I know you are one of those guys who always defends our coaches.

msstate7
12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Really dude? ******* a good coach but he is far from perfect. It's ok to 2nd guess things that are stupid.

Dan certainly f'd up some things down the stretch, but to keep calling him a dumbass is a little over the top. This was our first year with a chance to get to the championship. Our coaches and players just didn't handle the pressure well. I like to think the mistakes this year will help us down the line. When I think of mullen, dumbass isn't the adjective that comes to mind. He's done one hell of a job and we as fans should appreciate where he's brought us.

BulldogBear
12-06-2014, 07:08 PM

^This, non both accounts. Don't care about UAB game. Just win by having more points. But, in SEC play that full platoon stuff should've gone away.

bulldawg28
12-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Can we develop our team like OM? Because they don't rotate their back 7 either? Pls don't respond, this is a rhetorical question and I know you are one of those guys who always defends our coaches.

Ole Miss actually rotates their guys as well. The touchdown Wilson caught was on their backup. Some of these fans are lodging it over a 10 win season like we're Bama or USC. Building success takes time and consistency.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Ole Miss actually rotates their guys as well. The touchdown Wilson caught was on their backup. Some of these fans are lodging it over a 10 win season like we're Bama or USC. Building success takes time and consistency.

No they don't. That is just flat out wrong. Every team rotates the dline. That's not what we are talking about. And guess what, we built success. That's what this season was. We gave up a huge TD against Bama and another one against OM with out 1Bs. It may have cost us a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Turtle Holmes is graduating. Another 1B better not be starting next year. It's crazy to defend it.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 07:18 PM
All teams rotate players... Esp on the DL...

the trick is to having "1-B's" that are truly "1's"....

Bama is actually fortunate they had early season injuries that allowed us to build DB depth...

also, having #2s that'd start everywhere else, helps, too...

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Dan certainly f'd up some things down the stretch, but to keep calling him a dumbass is a little over the top. This was our first year with a chance to get to the championship. Our coaches and players just didn't handle the pressure well. I like to think the mistakes this year will help us down the line. When I think of mullen, dumbass isn't the adjective that comes to mind. He's done one hell of a job and we as fans should appreciate where he's brought us.

I don't think it's over the top.

Exhibit A- LSU 2009. First, we try a jump pass which epicly failed with our 5'9" QB. And THEN despite having a NFL caliber RB and Relf, we run choose to run it up the middle with our 5'9" QB who is a walk-on against LSU's defense which probably had no fewer than 10 guys drafted by the NFL.

Exhibit B- Playing Cherrington over Quay and PJ Jones. And then playing straight up zone the entire year.

Exhibit C- Our special teams. Didn't hire a coach until Scott probably forced him to hire Knox as a sham for our rightfully pissed off fans. Told a reporter that Devon Bell could hit field goals from 65. Holloway with Johnson as a blocker debacle. The sky kick on kickoffs that work about half the time at best when we have guys that can put it in the end zone. Because of the offensive and defensive issues, many of our fans overlook the fact that a big reason why we lost to Alabama and Ole Miss was because we lost the FIELD POSITION battle being cute.

Exhibit D- The 1A and 1B stuff. The only place where that is remotely OK is the YMCA flag league.

Exhibit E- Hey, let's run Dak up the middle again! They'll never see it coming. The fact that we set school offensive records is more of a testament at how good Dak is than how good Dan is. And speaking of Dak- starting Tyler over Dak, starting Perkins over Robinson. Not using Shumpert until Vanderbilt.

I'd say calling him a dumbass is pretty justifiable. Unfortunately, Pop Warner Mullen is probably sitting on his couch thinking that he is going to "show me" by doing the same BS and costing us games instead of actually constructively changing. Remember his face in the 2013 Egg Bowl when Sobiesk missed the field goal last year? He truly has no clue. He doesn't understand why his genius doesn't work.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 07:33 PM
All teams rotate players... Esp on the DL...

the trick is to having "1-B's" that are truly "1's"....

Bama is actually fortunate they had early season injuries that allowed us to build DB depth...

also, having #2s that'd start everywhere else, helps, too...

DB depth? It looks to me like your DB's get burned quite a bit. Fortunately you are facing Mizzou team with a scattershot QB.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 07:57 PM
DB depth? It looks to me like your DB's get burned quite a bit. Fortunately you are facing Mizzou team with a scattershot QB.

you are exactly correct.... bama is a "break but dont bend" defense...

you'll get some big plays... but you won't get enough to win...

it's stressful, but it seems to work.... we've got some excellent talent at the pos.

once they implement the 10 second rule, bama will be back.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 08:00 PM

Caveat, Todd; having a "QB" that has morphed from a RB/WR, makes me especially optimistic...

Dawg61
12-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't think it's over the top.

Exhibit A- LSU 2009. First, we try a jump pass which epicly failed with our 5'9" QB. And THEN despite having a NFL caliber RB and Relf, we run choose to run it up the middle with our 5'9" QB who is a walk-on against LSU's defense which probably had no fewer than 10 guys drafted by the NFL.

Exhibit B- Playing Cherrington over Quay and PJ Jones. And then playing straight up zone the entire year.

Exhibit C- Our special teams. Didn't hire a coach until Scott probably forced him to hire Knox as a sham for our rightfully pissed off fans. Told a reporter that Devon Bell could hit field goals from 65. Holloway with Johnson as a blocker debacle. The sky kick on kickoffs that work about half the time at best when we have guys that can put it in the end zone. Because of the offensive and defensive issues, many of our fans overlook the fact that a big reason why we lost to Alabama and Ole Miss was because we lost the FIELD POSITION battle being cute.

Exhibit D- The 1A and 1B stuff. The only place where that is remotely OK is the YMCA flag league.

Exhibit E- Hey, let's run Dak up the middle again! They'll never see it coming. The fact that we set school offensive records is more of a testament at how good Dak is than how good Dan is. And speaking of Dak- starting Tyler over Dak, starting Perkins over Robinson. Not using Shumpert until Vanderbilt.

I'd say calling him a dumbass is pretty justifiable. Unfortunately, Pop Warner Mullen is probably sitting on his couch thinking that he is going to "show me" by doing the same BS and costing us games instead of actually constructively changing. Remember his face in the 2013 Egg Bowl when Sobiesk missed the field goal last year? He truly has no clue. He doesn't understand why his genius doesn't work.

Good post. You forgot a couple.

In Dan's first two years he didn't use a timeout when trailing. Ever. I'm still not sure if he's ever scored in the last minute of the first half vs Bama, LSU, Auburn, aTm and Ole Miss. If he has it's probably just a FG.

Dan's management of the game vs Auburn last year was brutal. He got the lead and tried to sit on it for two quarters. That was always not going to work.

Dan hasn't even competed defensively vs Freezus twice now at Ole Miss. He's been skulldrug twice by Bucky.

Dan's bleeding of the clock in both our losses this year was and is inexcusable. YOU DONT BLEED THE CLOCK IN THE 2ND HALF WHEN YOURE LOSING!!

bulldawg28
12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
No they don't. That is just flat out wrong. Every team rotates the dline. That's not what we are talking about. And guess what, we built success. That's what this season was. We gave up a huge TD against Bama and another one against OM with out 1Bs. It may have cost us a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Turtle Holmes is graduating. Another 1B better not be starting next year. It's crazy to defend it.

Do me a favor, name the corner Wilson scored on? Was it Hilton or Golson? It was a freshman that was rotated in the game. Ole Miss rotates safeties as well. Their 1st defense prior to LSU had only given up 1 TD. Also, next year's backup is already better than Holmes.

bulldawg28
12-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Some of you guys need to actually leave the computer and get a life.

GreenheadDawg
12-06-2014, 08:14 PM

That's excellent advice for yourself, Champ.

CadaverDawg
12-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Do me a favor, name the corner Wilson scored on? Was it Hilton or Golson? It was a freshman that was rotated in the game. Ole Miss rotates safeties as well. Their 1st defense prior to LSU had only given up 1 TD. Also, next year's backup is already better than Holmes.

Everybody rotates players in, Coach*. We're talking about taking out your entire LB corp that includes a 1st round MLB, and putting in a "1B" group that is nowhere near as talented. So take your self righteous bullshit and leave the thread unless you would like to add something to the discussion. It's ok for people to question decisions of a coach....it doesn't mean people want him fired. There is no debate that he is a good coach and is learning...but he still screws up a lot and makes a lot of the same mistakes multiple times before learning. If you aren't willing to accept that those things are facts, there is a board led by a guy named Gene that wears Jorts that might be more fitting for you.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 09:05 PM

I love it when people post stuff like this on an INTERNET message board.

Apoplectic
12-06-2014, 09:20 PM

6'2" rookie DB was a spot sub to matchup with bear. Nothing more than that.

Our head coach is a stubborn SOB that believes he's the smartest guy on the field. He refuses to make adjustments because that would be admitting he was wrong. He's still my guy but he could be so much more. Hell saban ran the hurryup at times this year. If he can admit he's wrong u would think mullen could.