PDA

View Full Version : TCU trying to run up the score on IA State

starkvegasdawg
12-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Yet another thing I hate about the committee. Everybody trying for style points. Wish they could have just kept the BCS system and take the top 4 for the playoffs.

scottycameron
12-06-2014, 03:15 PM
you wanted a playoff - you got it. Terrible idea. But the meek shall inherit the earth.

Quaoarsking
12-06-2014, 03:25 PM
While I agree that a formula is better than a committee, the BCS rankings were NOT mathematically valid. The computer formulas were not allowed to use margin of victory, and most of the people in charge of them complained that their rankings weren't very accurate because of that. Only 1 of the 6 computer polls was created by someone with a mathematical/statistical background -- the others were just guys who made up formulas out of their ass. Not only that, 5 of the 6 computer polls kept their formulas secret so that no one could ever check their work. Sure enough, the 1 that had a public formula did make a mistake in 2010ish that caused the Final BCS Rankings to have to be edited after their release. Luckily, it was just flipped LSU and Boise State between 10th and 11th and didn't really matter, but what if it had flipped #2 and #3??

On top of that, coaches got to make up 1/3 of the poll, and Mack Brown and other coaches publicly admitted that they were structuring their ballots to what was best for their team, not who they actually thought the top 25 was.

Again, I'm all for a formula over a committee. But even this committee is far better than the awful BCS formula.