PDA

View Full Version : New baseball commitment

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Levi Mintz from Cedar Falls Alabama. He's a 6'4" 185 RHP that was named 1A pitcher of the year in Alabama and he also threw two no-hitters in the playoffs for his HS team. According to his coach, he touches 90 at times, but is mostly in the high 80's. He has been on the varsity since he was a seventh grader.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Awesome. This is the beginning of a recruiting snowball that this CWS trip will help create.

Todd, what class does that put this kid in? In other words, does that mean he will be in the class After Humphries and Co, or the same class? Baseball signing days confuse me

MSUDawg4Life
06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Where can we find a complete list of our baseball commitments?

Ronny
06-16-2013, 01:25 PM
..why Alabama/Auburn/Southern Alabama/Troy, etc can't keep their best pitching talent in-state?

Here is a list of our pitchers from the state of Alabama:

Ben Bracewell
Daryl Norris
Chad Girodo
Trevor Fitts
Kendall Graveman

All from the state of Alabama.

Now you can add this guy, Levi Mintz.

If anybody has a clue as to why the top pitching talent in the state of Alabama refuses to stay in-state & signs with Miss. State instead, then fill us in.

Because I don't understand this phenomenon.

engie
06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Butch Thompson's ties from his time at Auburn and Georgia help us out alot. In baseball, MSU > Alabama and Auburn as well.

Plus, many of the guys you listed were FAR from can't miss prospects in highschool. What you see out of them now is largely the result of our player development...

Ronny
06-16-2013, 02:09 PM
..we took raw projects out of Alabama & transformed them into CWS-level talent?

Funny how that tactic is not questioned with baseball, but if this was football, Ben Bracewell, Daryl Norris, Chad Girodo, Trevor Fitts & Kendall Graveman would be labeled 2 star (or no star) castoffs & sixpack would be having a meltdown over Mullen signing (the state of) Alabama's discarded rubbish.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Cc watson and luke bole were big time

GumpDawg
06-16-2013, 03:17 PM
From someone who played HS and JC ball in Alabama, the honest truth is there are very, very few people who care about baseball here. I went to a very large 5a school and football was king and it wasn't even close. Baseball got zero money or support. You were kind of an outcast if you don't have aspirations to play football at any level. That was 14+ yrs ago but I'm sure much hasn't changed as a whole.

FlabLoser
06-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I can say baseball is big at Northwest Rankin. Sponsors are standing in line to get their name inside the stadium. The whole area buys turkeys for the baseball team's fund raiser.

I couldn't tell you the football team even has a fund raiser.

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Awesome. This is the beginning of a recruiting snowball that this CWS trip will help create.

Todd, what class does that put this kid in? In other words, does that mean he will be in the class After Humphries and Co, or the same class? Baseball signing days confuse me

He is in Reid Humphries class. He is a spring signee for us.

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
..we took raw projects out of Alabama & transformed them into CWS-level talent?

Funny how that tactic is not questioned with baseball, but if this was football, Ben Bracewell, Daryl Norris, Chad Girodo, Trevor Fitts & Kendall Graveman would be labeled 2 star (or no star) castoffs & sixpack would be having a meltdown over Mullen signing (the state of) Alabama's discarded rubbish.

Actually, there were some melt downs over baseball recruiting at the time over there because Perfect Game didn't have profiles on every single recruit that Cohen signed. But, if you actually researched the players we signed, there was a common theme- hard working and plays the game hard. If you get enough guys like that, you are going to be OK. Even if they are not all 6'3"-6'5" like what Bianco was bringing in.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
He is in Reid Humphries class. He is a spring signee for us.

Thanks. Is he highly touted? Many good offers?

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Where can we find a complete list of our baseball commitments?

RHP- Dakota Hudson
RHP- Austin Sexton
LHP- Vance Tatum
LHP- Glenn Irby
RHP/1B- Zac Houston
RHP- Avery Geyer
RHP- Levi Mintz

RHP- Ben Hudspeth (JUCO)
LHP- Lucas Laster (JUCO)

C/3B/OF- Gavin Collins
C- Cody Kelly (JUCO)

1B- Trent Simpson (grayshirt FB signee who plans on playing baseball as well.)
1B- Daryl Ingram
3B/SS/OF- Reid Humphries
1B/3B/OF- Brent Rooker

OF- Jake Vickeron (JUCO)

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks. Is he highly touted? Many good offers?

He comes from a small school, so I think he is under the radar to a degree. I don't know of any other offers he had.

msstate7
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
RHP- Dakota Hudson
RHP- Austin Sexton
LHP- Vance Tatum
LHP- Glenn Irby
RHP/1B- Zac Houston
RHP- Avery Geyer
RHP- Levi Mintz

RHP- Ben Hudspeth (JUCO)
LHP- Lucas Laster (JUCO)

C/3B/OF- Gavin Collins
C- Cody Kelly (JUCO)

1B- Trent Simpson (grayshirt FB signee who plans on playing baseball as well.)
1B- Daryl Ingram
3B/SS/OF- Reid Humphries
1B/3B/OF- Brent Rooker

OF- Jake Vickeron (JUCO)

Out of this list who you think makes immediate impact?

Todd4State
06-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Out of this list who you think makes immediate impact?

The JUCO's obviously. Hudspeth and Laster will help our bullpen out. Dakota Hudson was drafted and there was a very real chance that we were going to lose him at one point- he was projected as a fourth round pick by Baseball America. Reid Humphries will start somewhere- likely either 3B or SS. Gavin Collins was a top 400 draft prospect by Baseball America. I think Rooker may push for some playing time in the outfield and maybe third base.

AlSwearengen
06-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Todd, don't we have a commit from a 1b/maybe OF player that florida, south carolina, etc. wanted that is from florida? I remember the guy being highly thought of though. Maybe he will be a senior this coming year.