PDA

View Full Version : Sec and the playoffs

msstate7
12-06-2014, 12:17 AM
I know we all hate bama, but we need to be really pulling for them tomorrow and thru out the playoffs. I want bama to rape their way thru the playoffs. I would love for bama's playoff games be over by halftime thus killing ratings. I want this committee to look like complete morons for undervaluing all the sec teams. Not only does bama need to win, but the rest of the sec needs to take care of business too. Our performance as a conference could determine whether we get 2 in the playoffs next season.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 12:30 AM
I know we all hate bama, but we need to be really pulling for them tomorrow and thru out the playoffs. I want bama to rape their way thru the playoffs. I would love for bama's playoff games be over by halftime thus killing ratings. I want this committee to look like complete morons for undervaluing all the sec teams. Not only does bama need to win, but the rest of the sec needs to take care of business too. Our performance as a conference could determine whether we get 2 in the playoffs next season.

I completely agree.

I've become disenchanted with college football tonight while watch these skinny little league teams play the championship game, in a conference that the committee is telling us is really good.

Two things have become abundantly clear to me tonight: 1) The committee has no ability to evaluate talent, which I would think would be critical since these teams don't play each other, and 2) The result of their lack of evaluation ability has led to them vastly undervaluing the SEC West teams.

There is no SEC Bias, there is truth, and the truth is that I think Arkansas could beat Oregon 4 out of 10 times.

Watching these two teams tonight participate in a pillow fight makes me want to throw up when I think back a few weeks ago about how the media was saying MSU would be out of the playoffs with 1 loss at Bama by 5 points.

The problem is that the committee is ranking teams on the basis of records, and, since all the SEC West team's records are dampened by having to play each other, the SEC has become vastly undervalued. The committee isn't ranking teams on how good they are or who would be favored on a neutral field.

All this disheartens me about the future because, no matter how bad-ass our team is, we will always only be compared to Alabama. Think about it, this year we were only compared to Alabama. The question was never "Can MSU beat Oregon?" or "Can MSU beat Ohio State?", the question was only, "Can you put a team in the playoff that didn't win their conference?" That means we were only compared to Bama.

I realize you have to beat Bama to get to the SEC title game or win the National Championship, but it sucks that MSU or even Ole Miss for that matter, will rarely, if ever, get their due because they are only compared to Bama and not the other teams in the country. I truly believe MSU is the 2nd best team in the country this year on a neutral field, but we will never know that because we are only compared to Bama.

An 8 team playoff is a must, and I bet there 2 SEC teams in the semi-finals or finals most years. The quality of play is on a different level.

dawg21
12-06-2014, 12:31 AM
I honestly think the only teams that can challenge Bama are SEC West teams. I expect them to physically dominate.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 12:35 AM
I'd love to see that too, MS7, but Bama's just not that "great" this year....

too young, too many injuries... I think they are still more talented but they have had to overcome a lot...

mostly, it's just a year of no dominate teams, that we have to thank....

msstate7
12-06-2014, 12:37 AM
I completely agree.

I've become disenchanted with college football tonight while watch these skinny little league teams play the championship game, in a conference that the committee is telling us is really good.

Two things have become abundantly clear to me tonight: 1) The committee has no ability to evaluate talent, which I would think would be critical since these teams don't play each other, and 2) The result of their lack of evaluation ability has led to them vastly undervaluing the SEC West teams.

There is no SEC Bias, there is truth, and the truth is that I think Arkansas could beat Oregon 4 out of 10 times.

Watching these two teams tonight participate in a pillow fight makes me want to throw up when I think back a few weeks ago about how the media was saying MSU would be out of the playoffs with 1 loss at Bama by 5 points.

The problem is that the committee is ranking teams on the basis of records, and, since all the SEC West team's records are dampened by having to play each other, the SEC has become vastly undervalued. The committee isn't ranking teams on how good they are or who would be favored on a neutral field.

All this disheartens me about the future because, no matter how bad-ass our team is, we will always only be compared to Alabama. Think about it, this year we were only compared to Alabama. The question was never "Can MSU beat Oregon?" or "Can MSU beat Ohio State?", the question was only, "Can you put a team in the playoff that didn't win their conference?" That means we were only compared to Bama.

I realize you have to beat Bama to get to the SEC title game or win the National Championship, but it sucks that MSU or even Ole Miss for that matter, will rarely, if ever, get their due because they are only compared to Bama and not the other teams in the country. I truly believe MSU is the 2nd best team in the country this year on a neutral field, but we will never know that because we are only compared to Bama.

An 8 team playoff is a must, and I bet there 2 SEC teams in the semi-finals or finals most years. The quality of play is on a different level.

Wanna know the sad part? If it was an 8-team playoffs, we would still be a bubble team praying for help right now

TUSK
12-06-2014, 12:40 AM
I'd love a 8 team playoff... if they played consecutive weeks, depth would become a huge factor.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Wanna know the sad part? If it was an 8-team playoffs, we would still be a bubble team praying for help right now

Your probably right. It's absurd.

The SEC really needs to play the Pac 12 more in non-conference games. It seems as though they've gotten a pass due to the distance they are from the SEC. Sure Oregon played Tennessee, but Tennessee sucks. We need Bama, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, and Auburn to go out West and open up a can on these skinny players.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 01:05 AM

The SEC really needs to play the Pac 12 more in non-conference games. It seems as though they've gotten a pass due to the distance they are from the SEC. Sure Oregon played Tennessee, but Tennessee sucks. We need Bama, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, and Auburn to go out West and open up a can on these skinny players.

a little history for yall, here....

the reason the Pac 10 "rose" bowl locked in the Big 10 for so long was that Bama went out there in the 30s and kicked the shit out of em...

they "banned" southern teams thereafter....

this isn't a new thing.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 01:30 AM

Well, when we go out to play Oregon, let's not have another tire incident.

I think Alabama/Oregon would be pretty interesting.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 01:30 AM
a little history for yall, here....

the reason the Pac 10 "rose" bowl locked in the Big 10 for so long was that Bama went out there in the 30s and kicked the shit out of em...

they "banned" southern teams thereafter....

this isn't a new thing.

Probably because you brought SEC officials and you were allowed to hold all game long.

SDDawg
12-06-2014, 01:40 AM
If it was an 8 team playoff, we'd be in. 2 or 3 teams will fall down at least one a big fall between now and the end of the weekend. No use worrying about it, because we'll be back. I think next year's team could actually be better than this year's.

TUSK
12-06-2014, 03:00 AM
Probably because you brought SEC officials and you were allowed to hold all game long.

well, Bryant was an End on one of those teams, so surely there was some cheatin' goin' on...