PDA

View Full Version : The fallacy here is Arizona #7

cheewgumm
12-06-2014, 12:17 AM
How did that happen?

RIdog
12-06-2014, 12:22 AM
How did that happen?

Think they could beat anyone in the SEC west ?

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 12:35 AM
How did that happen?

It happened because the playoff committee ranks teams on wins and losses and has no ability to evaluate talent.

Therefore, it doesn't matter if Arizona and Michigan State have beaten up on bad teams all year, their record says they should be a top 10 team. It's a joke. If we were ranking teams on the basis of who would be favored on a neutral field, all 7 SEC West teams would be in the top 15

LC Dawg
12-06-2014, 01:02 AM
It's a joke that Arizona, Michigan State, and Kansas State are ranked ahead of us. We just saw Arizona, Michigan State gave up almost 50 points in their two losses and Kansas State lost at home to a 4th in the SEC West Auburn team.
It's up to Bama to drive this point home for the benefit of the entire conference. It's also up to us and the other conference teams in our bowl game.

SDDawg
12-06-2014, 01:06 AM
They're going to fall back though, several of these teams. We'll creep up a little bit next week which is good. Still wish we were playing in the Orange Bowl- wouldn't be surprised to see an SEC bowl sweep this year. I hope Ole Miss still loses, but maybe Bo will get thrown in jail or something to make the loss look a little bit better for the league. :)

MetEdDawg
12-06-2014, 07:48 AM
They're going to fall back though, several of these teams. We'll creep up a little bit next week which is good. Still wish we were playing in the Orange Bowl- wouldn't be surprised to see an SEC bowl sweep this year. I hope Ole Miss still loses, but maybe Bo will get thrown in jail or something to make the loss look a little bit better for the league. :)

If it were to end today we would be 9th. If all the favorites win (don't forget Wisconsin is a favorite over OSU), we are at worst 8th, but possibly 7th in the country. Not happy how we played in our two losses but its kind of hard to be upset about that. A few more bounces go our way today and we could even get to 6th on Tuesday and have a shot at the top 5 at the end of bowl season. Very successful season for our program.

bluelightstar
12-06-2014, 10:01 AM
It happened because the playoff committee ranks teams on wins and losses and has no ability to evaluate talent.

You really think this committee with, among others, Barry Alvarez, Pat Haden, Tom Osborne, and Tyrone Willingham, has "no ability to evaluate talent"?

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 10:13 AM
You really think this committee with, among others, Barry Alvarez, Pat Haden, Tom Osborne, and Tyrone Willingham, has "no ability to evaluate talent"?

you are correct, they have the ability but they aren't ranking teams on that basis. They are ranking teams on "most accomplished" rather than "how good are they really?"

Bluelight, this is from a former NFL GM last night

Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil ? 9h 9 hours ago
The first entrant into the inaugural #CFP is @WinTheDay Oregon Ducks. 51-13 victory more impressive on paper than field.

Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil ? 12h 12 hours ago
Most physical player on the field @pac12 championship is freshman @WinTheDay RB Royce Freeman, that says a ton, too.

The point is that these @pac12 offensive lines will struggle against an Alabama, Missouri or Florida State defensive line. #PhysicalMismatch

Want to see difference between @pac12 OL and @SEC DL? Look at the arms, asses and bellies of the Arizona and Oregon offensive lines. #Truth

CadaverDawg
12-06-2014, 01:06 PM
you are correct, they have the ability but they aren't ranking teams on that basis. They are ranking teams on "most accomplished" rather than "how good are they really?"

Bluelight, this is from a former NFL GM last night

Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil ? 9h 9 hours ago
The first entrant into the inaugural #CFP is @WinTheDay Oregon Ducks. 51-13 victory more impressive on paper than field.

Most physical player on the field @pac12 championship is freshman @WinTheDay RB Royce Freeman, that says a ton, too.

The point is that these @pac12 offensive lines will struggle against an Alabama, Missouri or Florida State defensive line. #PhysicalMismatch

Want to see difference between @pac12 OL and @SEC DL? Look at the arms, asses and bellies of the Arizona and Oregon offensive lines. #Truth

While I agree with you about talent, Shotgun....we can't just expect the committee to ignore what's going on on the field and rank the SEC West #1-7. It sucks, but there is a serious disparity in schedule strength, and THAT is where everything gets thrown out of whack. Who was Oregon's toughest opponent this season? UCLA? The team that looked horrible at times and lost 3 games. Arizona State? The team that got smoked by Oregon state when everything was within their reach. Arizona? The team that lost 3 games this year including getting run out of the damn stadium last night. It's garbage that they can't reevaluate things towards the end of the season and say "guys, Oregon is a good team, but the PAC 12 sorta looks weak when their #2 team gets beat 55-13 by #1. Time to drop all the PAC 12 teams down a notch in the rankings." - and so on.

To me, and not just because of bias, We should be looked at on par with TCU, Oregon, Baylor, and any other 1 loss team....because over the course of the year and with our schedule, our 10-2 mark is much more impressive against our competition than All 3 of the teams I listed above. And WAY better than freaking Michigan state and Arizona. This attempt to place everyone on the same level, and claim a 11-1 SEC team is equal to a 11-1 PAC 12 team is a joke....but I will never expect anything less, because we live in a politically correct, don't need to look like we're biased, gotta help out the weaker guy, society even in football.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 01:15 PM
While I agree with you about talent, Shotgun....we can't just expect the committee to ignore what's going on on the field and rank the SEC West #1-7. It sucks, but there is a serious disparity in schedule strength, and THAT is where everything gets thrown out of whack. Who was Oregon's toughest opponent this season? UCLA? The team that looked horrible at times and lost 3 games. Arizona State? The team that got smoked by Oregon state when everything was within their reach. Arizona? The team that lost 3 games this year including getting run out of the damn stadium last night. It's garbage that they can't reevaluate things towards the end of the season and say "guys, Oregon is a good team, but the PAC 12 sorta looks weak when their #2 team gets beat 55-13 by #1. Time to drop all the PAC 12 teams down a notch in the rankings." - and so on.

To me, and not just because of bias, We should be looked at on par with TCU, Oregon, Baylor, and any other 1 loss team....because over the course of the year and with our schedule, our 10-2 mark is much more impressive against our competition than All 3 of the teams I listed above. And WAY better than freaking Michigan state and Arizona. This attempt to place everyone on the same level, and claim a 11-1 SEC team is equal to a 11-1 PAC 12 team is a joke....but I will never expect anything less, because we live in a politically correct, don't need to look like we're biased, gotta help out the weaker guy, society even in football.

Outstanding post Cadaver. You nailed it.

I understand the political correctness that is involved here, and I understand this is how it is going to work in our "everyone gets a trophy" society. However, I'm just trying to point out what is going on, so that MSU understand who we are and where we stand.

the mere fact that most analysts were saying we wouldn't make the 4 teams playoff before we lost to Ole Miss, is a joke beyond belief. Just pointing that out, with the understanding that I can't change it.

What myself and others need to understand is that MSU isn't being compared to Oregon, TCU, Baylor, Ohio State, or Florida State, MSU is only compared to 1 team and that is Alabama. So long as people are stuck on this "Conference Champion" deal, MSU, Ole Miss, etc are only compared against Alabama, which in the grand scheme of college football, seems ridiculous.

SDDawg
12-06-2014, 01:16 PM
To me, and not just because of bias, We should be looked at on par with TCU, Oregon, Baylor, and any other 1 loss team....because over the course of the year and with our schedule, our 10-2 mark is much more impressive against our competition than All 3 of the teams I listed above. And WAY better than freaking Michigan state and Arizona.

This is spot on CD.

I seen it dawg
12-06-2014, 01:26 PM

All these guys are over 60 and Osborne is almost 80. I'm sorry but this game is different than the one they were evaluating in the 90s and their coaching bias from that time doesn't allow them to see things objectively in 2014. Add C.Rice into the mix and this committee is a ****ing joke. You literally could take 12 dipshits sitting in BWW and figure this thing out...or better yet why not take the BCS and just add 2 teams...way too ****ing simple. This committee is an abortion.

PMDawg
12-06-2014, 01:35 PM
It's a joke that Arizona, Michigan State, and Kansas State are ranked ahead of us. We just saw Arizona, Michigan State gave up almost 50 points in their two losses and Kansas State lost at home to a 4th in the SEC West Auburn team.
It's up to Bama to drive this point home for the benefit of the entire conference. It's also up to us and the other conference teams in our bowl game.

These are all good points, but let's play devil's advocate. How do you explain the SEC East champ losing to Indiana at home? The SEC going 0-4 vs the shitty ACC last week? First response is that the East sucks, right? Mizzou went 2-0 vs the West. So did Georgia, smashing arkansas and destroying Auburn along the way. LSU struggled to beat Florida. Oh, those are the bottom 4 SEC teams? Auburn and LSU beat Ole Miss. Arkansas beat ole miss 30-0, and lost to MSU and Bama by 7 and 1. I just think there are a lot of pretty good teams this year, but no great teams. That's evidenced by the fact that no one team, conference, or division has been able to establish real dominance. Yes, the west is the best division and the SEC is the best conference but I think it is by a smaller margin than in the past several years.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2014, 01:36 PM
All these guys are over 60 and Osborne is almost 80. I'm sorry but this game is different than the one they were evaluating in the 90s and their coaching bias from that time doesn't allow them to see things objectively in 2014. Add C.Rice into the mix and this committee is a ****ing joke. You literally could take 12 dipshits sitting in BWW and figure this thing out...or better yet why not take the BCS and just add 2 teams...way too ****ing simple. This committee is an abortion.

Good points.

Political Hack
12-06-2014, 02:07 PM

TCU > Baylor even though Baylor won... and they play 8 of the same games, against each other in the 9th, and have the SAME record. Absurd. If TCU had one more loss then them I could understand it... but they don't.

Michigan state > Miss State? I think they got their MSU's mixed up. it's like they awarded Mich State for playing and losing against Oregon. Why don't we get awarded for losing against Bama? Our resume is much much more impressive than theirs or Arizona's.

I seen it dawg
12-06-2014, 02:14 PM
This ****ing committee is about like the nerds buying alcohol in Superbad. Total cluster****. It's not close we should be the top 2 loss team and we would wipe the floor with FSU, Baylor, TCU, Ohio State, and dare I say Oregon. ****ing joke.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
This ****ing committee is about like the nerds buying alcohol in Superbad. Total cluster****. It's not close we should be the top 2 loss team and we would wipe the floor with FSU, Baylor, TCU, Ohio State, and dare I say Oregon. ****ing joke.

Yup

LC Dawg
12-06-2014, 02:54 PM
These are all good points, but let's play devil's advocate. How do you explain the SEC East champ losing to Indiana at home? The SEC going 0-4 vs the shitty ACC last week? First response is that the East sucks, right? Mizzou went 2-0 vs the West. So did Georgia, smashing arkansas and destroying Auburn along the way. LSU struggled to beat Florida. Oh, those are the bottom 4 SEC teams? Auburn and LSU beat Ole Miss. Arkansas beat ole miss 30-0, and lost to MSU and Bama by 7 and 1. I just think there are a lot of pretty good teams this year, but no great teams. That's evidenced by the fact that no one team, conference, or division has been able to establish real dominance. Yes, the west is the best division and the SEC is the best conference but I think it is by a smaller margin than in the past several years.

I don't feel like doing a lot of research but I'll address a few. First, Indiana over Missouri is unexplainable to me. As far as the ACC I'd say if you matched up those four ACC teams that played last week with the SEC team that matched them in conference standings it would be far from a 4-0 ACC weekend. Georgia is always a little schizophrenic for some reason but it's undeniable that they have a ton of talent. In the West I think there is a ton of talent across the board and its hard to win on the road. I'm not sure what happened when Ole Miss went to Arkansas but I think it hurt us because it happened the week before we lost to Ole Miss.
Without even getting to whether we are better than most of the one loss teams I think it's a joke that we are not the top ranked two loss team. The committee says they watch the games and base rankings on who they judge to be the better teams. I say they lose credibility by having Arizona, Mich State, and Kansas State ranked ahead of us.

I seen it dawg
12-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Those ****ing idiots don't watch shit.