PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Baseball Captains

TheRef
12-05-2014, 01:11 PM
The team just voted and here are your team captains for the 2015 Baseball season

Seth Heck

Wes Rea

Trevor Fitts

BeardoMSU
12-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Damn. Football season has been so fun I've forgotten all about baseball. I can't wait til the spring.

War Machine Dawg
12-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Wes Rea aGAIN? Damn.

Todd4State
12-05-2014, 08:29 PM
What's wrong with Wes being a captain?

State82
12-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I would have been shocked if Wes had not been voted a captain.

War Machine Dawg
12-05-2014, 11:18 PM
What's wrong with Wes being a captain?

He sucks at hitting? Adam Dunn without the power. Or OBP. I want someone to beat his ass out at 1B.

tcdog70
12-05-2014, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=War Machine Dawg;301730]He sucks at hitting? Adam Dunn without the power. Or OBP. I want someone to beat his ass out at 1B.[/QUOT

Damn I can't believe JC didn't call you.doest he know you have a blog. What are those players thinking.??. U might rethink the stupid $hit you write

smootness
12-06-2014, 12:27 AM
He sucks at hitting? Adam Dunn without the power. Or OBP. I want someone to beat his ass out at 1B.

First, yikes.

Second, 'captain' is not another way of saying 'best hitter'.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 12:51 AM

Being a captain and a productive player are not always mutually exclusive. It's about leadership. I think you would be surprised at who MLB players name as the leaders of their team in some instances. A lot of the guys who are managers now- like Mike Matheny, Brad Ausmus, etc.- were leaders on their team when they were playing. But I'm sure fans bitched about their offense a lot of the time.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 12:55 AM
First, yikes.

Second, 'captain' is not another way of saying 'best hitter'.

Exactly. It's up to the team to vote. If the coach overrides the team and names someone that is a really productive player, it can actually cause problems because then that could be seen as the coach playing favorites.

The captain's main job is to lead the team in the dugout and on the field and act as a liason between the team and coaching staff if there are any issues- like growing mustaches. Which is probably why Fitts is a captain.

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Being a captain and a productive player are not always mutually exclusive. It's about leadership. I think you would be surprised at who MLB players name as the leaders of their team in some instances. A lot of the guys who are managers now- like Mike Matheny, Brad Ausmus, etc.- were leaders on their team when they were playing. But I'm sure fans bitched about their offense a lot of the time.

Matheny and Ausmus were catchers. It's a premium defensive position. So long as a catcher plays great D and calls a great game, I don't care if he doesn't hit. 1B is an entirely different animal. As we've discussed here ad nauseum, it's an offensive position. You put guys there who can hit but don't have a defensive home and/or suck at defense.

And my beef with Rea as captain is he's the poster boy for the group last year that didn't have a pair of balls. Got the big head after Omaha, then didn't bother to show up for the season. That doesn't scream "leader" to me. A leader would've grabbed the bull by the horns last season instead of waiting for someone else to do it.

DudyDawg
12-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Wes Rea aGAIN? Damn.

If you can't tell that he's a team leader, you either don't pay attention or are an idiot

Jacksondevildog
12-06-2014, 01:17 PM
If you can't tell that he's a team leader, you either don't pay attention or are an idiot

If you knew the whole story, you would change your tone. i'm not going to air dirty laundry on the message board.

Todd4State
12-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Matheny and Ausmus were catchers. It's a premium defensive position. So long as a catcher plays great D and calls a great game, I don't care if he doesn't hit. 1B is an entirely different animal. As we've discussed here ad nauseum, it's an offensive position. You put guys there who can hit but don't have a defensive home and/or suck at defense.

And my beef with Rea as captain is he's the poster boy for the group last year that didn't have a pair of balls. Got the big head after Omaha, then didn't bother to show up for the season. That doesn't scream "leader" to me. A leader would've grabbed the bull by the horns last season instead of waiting for someone else to do it.

This isn't about whether he should start or not. It's about whether he should be the captain or not- which is about leadership much more than on the field performance. I guess you would want Barry Bonds and Albert Belle to be captains because they were the best players on their team? And yet, if you asked their teammates to vote for a team captain I would be willing to bet that they would get less than five votes from their teammates.

Sounds to me like you have something personal about Wes more than anything.