PDA

View Full Version : Juco olinemen

msstate7
12-04-2014, 07:21 PM
In the last week new of us recruiting 2 more juco olinemen (mahoni and cuellar) has come out. Both are from California. What does this mean? Is this an indictment against our present players? Sign we don't feel good about rankin? What you guys think?

engie
12-04-2014, 07:27 PM
No, it's simply "news" coming out as official visits near. We've actually been recruiting several of them from Cali all along... Danley was behind Rankin and at least 2 of these guys...

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-04-2014, 07:36 PM
In the last week new of us recruiting 2 more juco olinemen (mahoni and cuellar) has come out. Both are from California. What does this mean? Is this an indictment against our present players? Sign we don't feel good about rankin? What you guys think?

In Hevesey we trust.**

HoopsDawg
12-04-2014, 08:15 PM

The coaches feel we really need a Juco O-linemen so if we miss on Rankin we need a backup plan. I would just assume pass if we miss on Rankin. Cuellar would be a good get, but I think he is headed elsewhere.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2014, 08:33 PM
I feel pretty good on getting Rankin.

msstate7
12-04-2014, 08:40 PM

If rankin does sign, would we take either of the Cali boys?

RIdog
12-04-2014, 08:41 PM

Why ? Everything is pointing north .

msstate7
12-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Rockstarfrommars (bear) on sps says he heard rankin will sign with state

RIdog
12-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Rockstarfrommars (bear) on sps says he heard rankin will sign with state

Hope you're right , we could use him .

msstate7
12-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Hope you're right , we could use him .

I'm not predicting it. I never feel good going against OM for an oline recruit.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I think he likes going to OM & hanging out better but I think he's going to school at MSU. If we get Rankin I think we go after a HS guy then.

Coach34
12-04-2014, 08:51 PM

Where did you get that?

RIdog
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Where did you get that?

Bear cousin , his info is from Yancey .

HoopsDawg
12-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Where did you get that?

Yancy said today that his sources feel "pretty confident" Rankin will be a Reb. Usually when Yancy talks like this it is 50/50. Not his usual smugness.

engie
12-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Yancy said today that his sources feel "pretty confident" Rankin will be a Reb. Usually when Yancy talks like this it is 50/50. Not his usual smugness.

This exactly. When they have someone locked down, Yancy makes it obvious to anyone paying attention... That's why they get cocky just in front of flips, etc...

I want Rankin to feel better about the second OT spot, but in reality I expect Rufus to be pretty damn salty at the spot by go time next year... He's had time to adjust now...

Todd4State
12-04-2014, 09:49 PM
If I had to guess, Rankin is probably coming to MSU.

Todd4State
12-04-2014, 09:52 PM
This exactly. When they have someone locked down, Yancy makes it obvious to anyone paying attention... That's why they get cocky just in front of flips, etc...

I want Rankin to feel better about the second OT spot, but in reality I expect Rufus to be pretty damn salty at the spot by go time next year... He's had time to adjust now...

I don't understand why the recruiting reporters and some of our fans feel like we have to sign a plethora of JUCO o-linemen. Between Damien, Rufus, Jocquell Johnson, and Elgton Jenkins, there is a good chance our answer is already on campus. I would take Rankin though because I think there is a good chance he could come in and contribute right away.

Todd4State
12-04-2014, 09:54 PM

Mahoni can play DT possibly as well. I don't think it's an indictment against anyone we have currently or how we feel about Rankin. On the off chance I am wrong about Rankin, we do need to have a back-up plan.

maroonmania
12-04-2014, 10:35 PM

To be honest, we may actually need Rufus to go back TE next year if Hutcherson doesn't improve greatly early in the Spring.

msstate7
12-04-2014, 10:38 PM
To be honest, we may actually need Rufus to go back TE next year if Hutcherson doesn't improve greatly early in the Spring.

I'm hopeful pierce will get in school and help us at te

Todd4State
12-04-2014, 10:40 PM

It's going to be really hard for Warren to drop that much weight, plus attached/blocking TE is a role position for us anyway.

Todd4State
12-04-2014, 10:41 PM

I'm hopeful that Rashun Dixon steps up.

msstate7
12-04-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm hopeful that Rashun Dixon steps up.

I'm hopeful any te steps up haha

engie
12-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Still have Walley, Pierce, Hammond...

Rufus has put on 30+ lbs. He can't just "go back to TE" on a whim...

hells bells
12-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Hell no on a indictment against our present players. Mahoni and Cuellar are big pick ups. As for Rankin who knows. State needs O Liners and the exposure this year can bring the beef.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Scratch Cuellar off the list he's not visiting.

Westdawg
12-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Don't forget about cole carter. During his mop up time, he looked really good against the competition he saw. I really look forward to his progress. Senior hit a plateau the last 3 or so games. I hope and believe he will be much proves by next fall

AROB44
12-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Has everyone given up on Walley at TE? I actually think he can be pretty good.

Coach34
12-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Has everyone given up on Walley at TE? I actually think he can be pretty good.

Walley would actually be a better blocker than MoJo but a lesser receiver.

hailmari
12-05-2014, 07:48 AM
I actually thought his running looked pretty good and caught what little was thrown his way. Walley will be around a while, so he'll get better and better.

jumbo
12-05-2014, 08:46 AM

He most likely redshirts if he makes it. Would be hard for anyone to come in and contribute in the SEC after a year away from football.

NCDawg
12-05-2014, 09:01 AM
No, it's simply "news" coming out as official visits near. We've actually been recruiting several of them from Cali all along... Danley was behind Rankin and at least 2 of these guys...

The last JC OL we signed from California (Trapp) sat for 2 years and never played, unless it was on Special Teams.

engie
12-05-2014, 09:18 AM
The last JC OL we signed from California (Trapp) sat for 2 years and never played, unless it was on Special Teams.

What does Joey Trapp have to do with anything?

Trapp was about a 12th priority backup plan after we missed on literally everyone else. Very, very different from these guys being priorities that Johnson previously had his eye on for Utah for several years...

Ifyouonlyknew
12-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Charles Siddoway.

Jack Lambert
12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
In Hevesey we trust.**

Amen! He took a walkon Class A private School kid and turned him into a blocking machine.

maroonmania
12-05-2014, 10:30 AM

He could be our new Kendell Watkins! :)

Johnson85
12-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't understand why the recruiting reporters and some of our fans feel like we have to sign a plethora of JUCO o-linemen. Between Damien, Rufus, Jocquell Johnson, and Elgton Jenkins, there is a good chance our answer is already on campus. I would take Rankin though because I think there is a good chance he could come in and contribute right away.

Because for OL, when there is a "good chance" your answer is already on campus, you are still running a chance of being really exposed. I think you're right in that we are solid enough that just a so-so JUCO prospect probably doesn't change our position. But we still need to add somebody for depth and it always helps to have another player that could potentially step up and be the man.

Senior
Malone
Clayborne
Desper
Carter/Warren

We really should have five solid options out of that group above, but if we could get a JUCO OL to come in that is really an upper level lineman, it would really change the complexion of our line. Right now we know we have four solid starters, but they are replacing a ton of experience. If we had an upper level LT to put next to Malone (or could safely put Malone on the right side with an upper level RT while Senior stays at LT), we'll be solid across the board and have a good side of our line to run behind.

BeastMan
12-05-2014, 11:31 AM

After we cooled on Cueller and he decided not to OV, I thought the same thing.

Pokerdawg44
12-05-2014, 12:05 PM
I believe Rankin's girlfriend goes to MSU.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Bear cousin , his info is from Yancey .

Hmm.

Weren't you the one that had a "source" close to Foley that said Freeze turned the Florida job down?
Now your "source" that follows Yancy says "all signs point to Rankin going to Ole Miss".

Interesting.

maroonmania
12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
I believe Rankin's girlfriend goes to MSU.

Good. This usually trumps everything else.

Bothrops
12-05-2014, 12:52 PM
No excuse for us not to get Rankin. Siddoway was a good player, and I hope we can get something established on the west coast to help with position needs. It's just difficult to get visits from kids out there. The media continues to hurt us, making recruiting tougher on the national landscape than it should be.

codeDawg
12-05-2014, 01:09 PM
I hear Arizona has a lot of really good OL players in JUCO.***

Todd4State
12-05-2014, 01:34 PM
No excuse for us not to get Rankin. Siddoway was a good player, and I hope we can get something established on the west coast to help with position needs. It's just difficult to get visits from kids out there. The media continues to hurt us, making recruiting tougher on the national landscape than it should be.

It's not the media that hurts us. It's the distance. Having done a rotation in school on the West Coast for several months, you don't realize just how far you are away from home until you are actually out there. You don't see a lot of Mississippi kids going out there either.

jumbo
12-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Paul's odds are today has signing Ranking at better than 50-50

NCDawg
12-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Yeah, Sherrill had fantastic luck with about 5 linemen from Arizona Western JC.

maroonmania
12-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Was thinking more like 3 but whatever, it seemed to be the beginning of the end when Jackie and Joe Lee signed up that crew.

Bothrops
12-05-2014, 02:54 PM
It's not the media that hurts us. It's the distance. Having done a rotation in school on the West Coast for several months, you don't realize just how far you are away from home until you are actually out there. You don't see a lot of Mississippi kids going out there either.

I know where the west coast is, and (although not quite as far) it's still a long distance from schools like Arkansas and Missouri that recruit out there. I like looking out there for help, there's a ton of players.

codeDawg
12-05-2014, 03:02 PM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/483/894/463.jpg

Todd4State
12-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I know where the west coast is, and (although not quite as far) it's still a long distance from schools like Arkansas and Missouri that recruit out there. I like looking out there for help, there's a ton of players.

I'm OK with us recruiting out there, but it really shouldn't be a shock when someone from California doesn't choose us. And I'm just pointing out that it's not from the media. Most of the people I met out there actually thought Mississippi was a cool place.

Bo Darville
12-05-2014, 06:00 PM

That joke does remind me. They were defensive lineman. What were there names? Oyefesobi and who else? Was Khalil Nash one?

Bo Darville
12-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Danny Snyder maybe completed the trifecta from Arizona Western.

Bo Darville
12-05-2014, 06:09 PM
That year we went huge on JUCO. Snyder, Nash, Oyefesobi, and tommy Kelly on the defensive line. Corey Brown and Kamau Jackson at Linebacker. Walter Burdette at linebacker/safety. Richard Ball, Korey Banks, and Demetric Wright at defensive back. Basically an entire defense that crapped out.

HSVDawg
12-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Kendall Watkins says "no problem".

In all seriousness though, I agree with you. 300lb TE's don't mesh well with Mullen's system.