PDA

View Full Version : Mike Riley to Nebraska, I hear

Chip
12-04-2014, 12:33 PM
nm

Chip
12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.ketv.com/sports/huskers-extended-coverage/nebraska-announces-head-coach-pick/30057630

AROB44
12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Talk about culture shock.....going from Corvalis, Oregon to Lincoln, Neb !!! I think I would want to stay in Oregon !!

starkvegasdawg
12-04-2014, 12:43 PM
So now there is a vacancy for Bucky at a school where the mascot is a beaver. It's just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2014, 12:47 PM
So now there is a vacancy for Bucky at a school where the mascot is a beaver. It's just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

+1

sandwolf
12-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I really could not see myself being all that excited about this hire if I were a Nebraska fan. Riley is 61 years old and has averaged less than 7 wins per year in 14 seasons at OSU. He may turn out to be great, but it sure seems like an odd hire.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I really could not see myself being all that excited about this hire if I were a Nebraska fan. Riley is 61 years old and has averaged less than 7 wins per year in 14 seasons at OSU. He may turn out to be great, but it sure seems like an odd hire.

I think Nebraska was going to hire Mclewain, but had to go to plan B after UF closed the deal.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Ha, I bet there are some classic comments on their message boards. Fire a guy that wins 9, for a guy that can't win 8. Haha

Really Clark?
12-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Kind of surprised Riley left OSU. That's kind of home for him. He is a good coach. Has a winning record at a school that doesn't have a winning percentage. That's pretty solid just not sure if it's a fit or if he will have backing.

dawgs
12-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Kind of surprised Riley left OSU. That's kind of home for him. He is a good coach. Has a winning record at a school that doesn't have a winning percentage. That's pretty solid just not sure if it's a fit or if he will have backing.

I don't think osu really fought to keep him. He's been middling along for awhile now, just good enough for a program like oregon st to have a tough time justifying firing him, but not good enough to make a run at oregon. Nebraska probably offered him a nice raise and oregon st declined to match it. Now oregon st is free to go after someone innovative and point out that they aren't quick to fire a HC, so they can offer security if the results are 6-7 Ws for awhile.

Irondawg
12-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Really odd hire by Nebraska in my opinion.

quickstrike2
12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I went over to the a Nebraska board just to see their reaction, they are pretty disappointed. I can see their point, although Riley may do well there. He last few years at OSU have been fairly underwhelming. They are complaining that their AD was totally unprepared for the hire, after firing a guy for going 9-3. Think it's hitting home that they aren't what they were at one point in time. Nebraska is still a good job in my opinion, just not a dream job.