PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting situation between Florida, Colorado State, and McElwain

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2014, 12:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11976248/jim-mcelwain-florida-gators-hold-due-colorado-state-rams-buyout

It seems as though the CSU President is playing hard ball with Florida by not lowering the buy-out. I don't blame the CSU president for doing this, but he does have one BIG problem.

If McElwain truly wants to go to Florida, you can't expect him to stay the coach at CSU and be happy about it, which obviously makes it virtually impossible to do a great job.

My guess is that they'll settle around a $4 million buyout and you'll see Florida playing a road game at Mile High Stadium in the next few years.

nsvltndog
12-04-2014, 02:57 AM
I know Florida has deep pockets, but Foley isn't who I would want managing my budget. With the $6M they owe Muschamp, this may cost them north of $10M before they pay McElwain a dime of whatever his new salary will be.

Dawgface
12-04-2014, 07:59 AM
A contract is a contract. CSU should stick to their guns.

RossDawg82
12-04-2014, 08:02 AM
A contract is a contract. CSU should stick to their guns.
Agree, if he doesn't like the buy out clause he should take that up with his agent. I would make Florida pay every cent of that buyout

msstate7
12-04-2014, 08:20 AM
If florida buys out JE from csu, foley's job will be determined by the Florida football team's w-l record.

SDDawg
12-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Not trying to be ignorant, but I don't get the McElwain love being strong as it is. Why is he a top candidate? What do people think he's done that's so impressive? I don't follow Mountain West football. :|

woozman
12-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Agree, if he doesn't like the buy out clause he should take that up with his agent. I would make Florida pay every cent of that buyout

And then find a new agent. A $7.5M buyout for a 10-yr $15M contract seems excessive.

msstate7
12-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Not trying to be ignorant, but I don't get the McElwain love being strong as it is. Why is he a top candidate? What do people think he's done that's so impressive? I don't follow Mountain West football. :|

He's done a very good job at csu and sec ties

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2014, 08:49 AM

Basically the guy has proven he knows how to score points, whether it's as Saben's OC at Alabama or at Colorado State. He has done a great job there and just won Mountain West coach of the year.

Additionally, he was Colin Cowherd's roommate in college at Eastern Washington, and he as weird as crap. This guy could the SEC East's version of Les Miles. This guy is really really weird. He grew up in Montana and tells people that comes up with plays by staring at the stars at night.

Original48
12-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Jeremy Foley is the Al Davis of athletic directors.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2014, 09:03 AM

THIS

The guy has an enormous athletic budget yet has built no indoor football facility and the coach's offices are still stuck in the bottom of the stadium

He has also run a sloppy coaching search

msstate7
12-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Did he hire billy d? He did get hr in meyer

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Did he hire billy d? He did get hr in meyer

Your absolutely right, but this is where the arrogance comes from. Those hires were 10 and 15 years ago. The guy got complacent and stopped improving he program out of arrogance.

Al Davis and Jerry Jones also won Super Bowls back in the day. At some point you have to judge people on what they are currently doing and not what they did.

Martianlander
12-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Basically the guy has proven he knows how to score points, whether it's as Saben's OC at Alabama or at Colorado State. He has done a great job there and just won Mountain West coach of the year.

Additionally, he was Colin Cowherd's roommate in college at Eastern Washington, and he as weird as crap. This guy could the SEC East's version of Les Miles. This guy is really really weird. He grew up in Montana and tells people that comes up with plays by staring at the stars at night.
If he's a good friend of Cowherd, that would be enough for me to disqualify him.

defiantdog
12-04-2014, 09:28 AM
THIS

The guy has an enormous athletic budget yet has built no indoor football facility and the coach's offices are still stuck in the bottom of the stadium

He has also run a sloppy coaching search

UF is building one for around 11 million. But you're right, with all the money they have, they are one of the last SEC schools to build one.

Tradition can only attract so much. There's a reason a lot of top Florida recruits go out of state now.

msstate7
12-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Your absolutely right, but this is where the arrogance comes from. Those hires were 10 and 15 years ago. The guy got complacent and stopped improving he program out of arrogance.

Al Davis and Jerry Jones also won Super Bowls back in the day. At some point you have to judge people on what they are currently doing and not what they did.

I'm not taking up for him. I said earlier in the thread that his job is on the line with JM if he gets hired.

Aces High
12-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Floridas facilities are bad. I have no idea how.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Floridas facilities are bad. I have no idea how.

It's because it's was too easy for them. When things are easy for people, they lack innovation, competition, become complacent, and generally lose their edge in getting better. This is what happened to Michigan, Miami, USC to some degree, Texas, and now Florida is experiencing. Iron sharpens iron. I believe this is one of the most important parts of our rivalry with Ole Miss. It keeps us on our toes everyday

defiantdog
12-04-2014, 09:50 AM
It's because it's was too easy for them. When things are easy for people, they lack innovation, competition, become complacent, and generally lose their edge in getting better. This is what happened to Michigan, Miami, USC to some degree, Texas, and now Florida is experiencing. Iron sharpens iron. I believe this is one of the most important parts of our rivalry with Ole Miss. It keeps us on our toes everyday

id love to have Michigan's facilities. They're second to none. But I agree, Florida has awful facilities. It doesn't make sense.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2014, 10:04 AM
id love to have Michigan's facilities. They're second to none. But I agree, Florida has awful facilities. It doesn't make sense.

Michigan does have good facilities, but Northern teams are forced to due to the weather. Michigan has good ole boy problems and an attachment to tradition. My guess is Michigan wouldn't have great facilities if the school was located in a warm climate

Miss. Stake
12-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Oregon or Bama's facilities say hey

defiantdog
12-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Oregon or Bama's facilities say hey

I agree with Oregon, but I'd take Michigan's over Bama. Bama just looks dated. Even their renovations look dated.

quickstrike2
12-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I like the CSU is making him honor the contract. JM signed it, he knew what the large buyout meant. CSU shouldn't be expected to just bow down to the almighty Gators and Foley.

Statefan
12-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Looks like they came to some agreement

defiantdog
12-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Hiring McElwain and firing Muschamp may be the most costly coaching change in college football history

quickstrike2
12-04-2014, 10:25 AM
ESPN reporting they have hired him. Be interesting to see what the details are.

Miss. Stake
12-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Hiring McElwain and firing Muschamp may be the most costly coaching change in college football history

I think that distinction goes to Notre Dame after Weis

M.Fillmore
12-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Bo Bounds quoted an article today claiming that Foley's office connect's to Muschamp's office and that Foley would sit in on film sessions.

Sounds a lot like Al Davis to me.