PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
12-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Signed nick markakis and Jim Johnson.

BoomBoom
12-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Signed nick markakis and Jim Johnson.

aging RH bat? good lord they learn as well as Mullen.

BoomBoom
12-03-2014, 08:03 PM
i like the Johnson signing though. great 7th inning guy to complement Kimbrel in the 9th, especially since they'll have a rookie that is a Kimbrel clone.

msstate7
12-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm not gonna judge offseason moves till I see what else they do. Still most likely gonna move jup and maybe gattis

msstate7
12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
aging RH bat? good lord they learn as well as Mullen.

He's a lefty

BoomBoom
12-03-2014, 08:15 PM
He's a lefty

ah. makes a little more sense for the lineup. and it's not like his value is based on power.

msstate7
12-03-2014, 08:20 PM
ah. makes a little more sense for the lineup. and it's not like his value is based on power.
Certainly gonna lead off

msstate7
12-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Markakis
Vs lhp .280 BA .343 OBP
Vs rhp .274 BA .342 OBP

This is nice considering our troubles vs lhp last season. He also won gold glove so that'll ease some of the pain losing jhey defensively

Really Clark?
12-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Markakis
Vs lhp .280 BA .343 OBP
Vs rhp .274 BA .342 OBP

This is nice considering our troubles vs lhp last season. He also won gold glove so that'll ease some of the pain losing jhey defensively

Two gold gloves actually. Second one this year. Could be a nice move with someone who can legitimately lead off.

Like both signings. If Johnson bounces back it would be a steal at that price.

Todd4State
12-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I told y'all it was a long off season.

Smitty
12-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Braves gonna Braves

KB21
12-03-2014, 11:59 PM
You know, it is interesting. Braves fans as a whole were upset when Jason Heyward was dealt. There was an outcry as to why they didn't sign him to an extension. Jason was looking for a payday of $20+ million per season, and I'm not sure he is going to get it. Think about it this way.

Jason Heyward is a .262/.351/.429 triple slash player.
Nick Markakis is a .290/.358/.435 triple slash player for his career.

Jason Heyward is wanting $20+ million per season for Nick Markakis-like production. In fact, Markakis is a better contact guy. JHey's career K% is around 19.3% while Nick's career K% is around 13%.

Jason Heyward has the better defensive metrics, but I think those stats are flawed, and it is tough to really make anything out of them. I would give Jason the advantage as a defender, but it isn't as much as the defensive metrics would suggest, IMO. However, that advantage isn't enough to nearly double Nick's salary.

Dawg61
12-04-2014, 02:00 AM
You know, it is interesting. Braves fans as a whole were upset when Jason Heyward was dealt. There was an outcry as to why they didn't sign him to an extension. Jason was looking for a payday of $20+ million per season, and I'm not sure he is going to get it. Think about it this way.

Jason Heyward is wanting $20+ million per season for Nick Markakis-like production. In fact, Markakis is a better contact guy. JHey's career K% is around 19.3% while Nick's career K% is around 13%.

Jason Heyward has the better defensive metrics, but I think those stats are flawed, and it is tough to really make anything out of them. I would give Jason the advantage as a defender, but it isn't as much as the defensive metrics would suggest, IMO. However, that advantage isn't enough to nearly double Nick's salary.

Yea these both are nice additions. JJ saved 50 games two years ago for the O's. When he's going right he has a nasty sinker at 95 mph. Add in Shelby Miller and the Braves have now made some nice moves. Get the Upton's gone and it'll be a very productive off-season. New GM just got a lot better.

smootness
12-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Yea these both are nice additions. JJ saved 50 games two years ago for the O's. When he's going right he has a nasty sinker at 95 mph. Add in Shelby Miller and the Braves have now made some nice moves. Get the Upton's gone and it'll be a very productive off-season. New GM just got a lot better.

Shelby Miller doesn't get us back to even from losing Heyward, though. And Jim Johnson is fine, but I'm certainly not going to get excited about a guy who had a WHIP of almost 2 last year.

I do like adding Markakis; he's a solid bat, the kind that you like to have most of your lineup made of. However, at this point, though I think it's unlikely, I really, really don't want to see us trade Justin Upton. We have to have some offensive firepower if we want to compete, and Freeman just isn't nearly enough by himself. Right-handed power is the most scarce thing in baseball right now, which means we can get a lot for Upton, but it also means he is extremely valuable to the team. If we trade him now, our offense will be absurdly weak.

BJ isn't going anywhere because no one's ever going to take him from us. So we're stuck with him. But unless we can get a crazy haul of prospects for Justin, I think we need to keep him as well and either trade Gattis or let him catch instead of Bethancourt.

Gattis in LF or losing Justin Upton without adding much offense in return = disaster.

BoomBoom
12-04-2014, 09:35 AM

this ignores that Markakis will almost certainly get worse every year going forward, while Heyward won't, plus there's a good chance Heyward can take a leap forward in offensive production. there's also a good chance that he is what he is, but any team that is convinced of that will not be one of the ones offering $20M+ for many years.

Beaver
12-04-2014, 09:38 AM
But unless we can get a crazy haul of prospects for Justin...

Reportedly, the reason Justin isn't gone yet is because the Braves are asking a lot for him. I'm not sure what their definition of 'a lot' is, but I like the moves we've made so far.

Really Clark?
12-04-2014, 10:59 AM
this ignores that Markakis will almost certainly get worse every year going forward, while Heyward won't, plus there's a good chance Heyward can take a leap forward in offensive production. there's also a good chance that he is what he is, but any team that is convinced of that will not be one of the ones offering $20M+ for many years.

Yeah but you are trying to compare them like it was an either or situation and the Braves choose the wrong player to sign. You have to look at the deal as a whole. We were probably not going to sign Heyward long term especially at $20+ MIL per year. (Which at this point is overpaying for him). As good as the defense is from him the offense is not on par for a that type of contract. So we basically have gotten a very good veteran RF and a good young SP who is control for 4 years with good upside and another good pitching prospect for the minors in exchange for Heywood and Walden. Getting a definite SP need in Miller and a RF who's numbers suggest a very close mirror to what we had. At a good AAV as well. Below projections. We have to do things at this point that is not necessarily agreeable to the fanbase because of two terrible contracts and depleted farm system. I think it's was a good move overall.

War Machine Dawg
12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
David O'Brien had a great blog about Markakis (http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/2014/12/02/free-agent-markakis-could-be-good-fit-for-braves/) a couple of days ago. Do the link, it's worth the time. I love adding him to the team. He's the kind of hitter we need, even if he is declining a little.

I also like adding Johnson. He'll be a nice 7th/8th inning guy in front of Kimbrel and give us a guy that's reliable in the 9th if CK isn't available.

Fans can be pissed, but moving J-Hey was the right move. John Hart is no dummy. The guy built two franchises into long term contenders. I would love to keep J-Up long term, but I'm starting to think it isn't very likely. He'll bring a glut of prospects and rebuilding the farm is priority numero uno for the Braves right now. Basically, the Braves are trading '15 & '16 to be legit contenders in '17, the first year in Cobb County. This had to happen eventually, so just STFU with the bitching and let the from office do its job. We finally have competent people in place that can be trusted.

Political Hack
12-04-2014, 02:26 PM

their defensive prowess as outfielders diminished a great deal when you're bringing in this kind of pitching. Right now, it's about offense and not being a complete flop in the OF (sorry great white bear). The infield will be solid defensively. I think they may lose a little bat for glove in CF if they deal Upton, but I don't have a problem with that given the way the "big bats" worked out last season. Slow pitchers duals and a playoff run would be just fine with me.