PDA

View Full Version : Staley to basketball...

engie
12-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Per Carskadon twitter.

He doesn't offer any details beyond that. Maybe Staley will try to pull double duty for a little while? Certainly seems like bowl prep would be a pretty key time for QB development, while also being a key time to develop as a basketball contributor for the season...

Either way, this is good for us in the immediate sense. Time will tell if it is good for us longterm.

Todd4State
12-03-2014, 06:40 PM
I figured this would happen when I heard that Fitzgerald got into school early last year.

Coach34
12-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Very odd with Bowl prep coming up

engie
12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I can see him trying to do both for 3 weeks with a slight lean toward basketball.

This is the problem with legitimately trying to do both. You can't do basketball on a very high level if you don't start practicing now. And you can't legitimately be a QB if you miss bowl practice.

EAVdog
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
He's a baller in basketball. Could really help. We can figure out the QB situation later.

If Dak wasn't coming back I'd I'd feel different.

DanDority
12-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Help me out, what position does he play on the hard wood? Hopefully not 4 or 5, VERY few 6'6 post players ever make it, except Barkley

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Help me out, what position does he play on the hard wood? Hopefully not 4 or 5, VERY few 6'6 post players ever make it, except Barkley

Good question since him and DeRunnya are basically the same height/size.

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Listed as a Guard

DanDority
12-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Listed as a Guard

That's good. Although I heard coach Ray say that he didn't expect him to be a contributor in basketball. He said that he thought his future was in football, but kids know best...I guess.

UMCDawg16
12-03-2014, 07:28 PM
The longer Staley has been on campus the more and more I have thought he's not our answer at QB. Feel like Fitzgerald is gonna be the QB of that class.

engie
12-03-2014, 07:36 PM
That's good. Although I heard coach Ray say that he didn't expect him to be a contributor in basketball. He said that he thought his future was in football, but kids know best...I guess.

He made that comment about De'Runnya. Not about Staley. Two different beasts entirely...

ScottH
12-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Would he be the highest player on the basketball team coming out of high school?

DownwardDawg
12-03-2014, 07:49 PM
The longer Staley has been on campus the more and more I have thought he's not our answer at QB. Feel like Fitzgerald is gonna be the QB of that class.

I've never expected him to play QB for us.

DanDority
12-03-2014, 08:00 PM
He made that comment about De'Runnya. Not about Staley. Two different beasts entirely...

No, I heard him and was present when he made the comment. Someone asked him about Staley before he even enrolled. It was right after signing day. Everyone thought it was an odd comment.

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Would he be the highest player on the basketball team coming out of high school?

Highest rated? He Sword and Ware were all 4*. Staley played on the stud Georgia team with two other 5* players on it. He's a legit basketball prospect that held impressive offers from Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, Georgia, Alabama and a bunch more. Would be interesting if Bear Wilson plays too and there could be a Staley to Wilson pass in two sports. I want to see that. I know I stand alone on Bear playing hoops but I want to see Mr. Basketball play again. After the bowl of course.

defiantdog
12-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Highest rated? He Sword and Ware were all 4*. Staley played on the stud Georgia team with two other 5* players on it. He's a legit basketball prospect that held impressive offers from Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, Georgia, Alabama and a bunch more. Would be interesting if Bear Wilson plays too and there could be a Staley to Wilson pass in two sports. I want to see that. I know I stand alone on Bear playing hoops but I want to see Mr. Basketball play again. After the bowl of course.

Would be fun to watch, but Bear needs to concentrate on football. He still has a lot to learn. I don't know where Staleys heart is. But he was our biggest recruiter in football last year. I can't imagine him quiting football.

engie
12-03-2014, 08:13 PM
No, I heard him and was present when he made the comment. Someone asked him about Staley before he even enrolled. It was right after signing day. Everyone thought it was an odd comment.

Then it was a ridiculously dumb ass comment...

At the time of his signing, Staley was arguably the best basketball talent that Ray had gotten. Still is arguably the best pure talent, although time will tell how good he will be with the time sharing...

Patrick Ewing Jr is his half brother, if that says anything...

DanDority
12-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Then it was a ridiculously dumb ass comment...

Hence everyone thought it was an odd statement!

maroonmania
12-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Is Staley a shooter with some range? That is my question because that is what this basketball team needs. If he's just another athlete that can rebound and only can score around the basket then he is not going to add much to what we already have.

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Patrick Ewing Jr is his half brother, if that says anything...

Wait, what? Detective in me says Coach Camp isn't Patrick Ewing Sr. so that would make it same momma and momma' genes ain't got shit to do with basketball talent. Ruling is that your comment is deemed useless but highly interesting.

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Is Staley a shooter with some range? That is my question because that is what this basketball team needs. If he's just another athlete that can rebound and only can score around the basket then he is not going to add much to what we already have.

Good question. Let's see what youtube births.

Youtube has birthed that Elijah Staley is FU@KING GOOD but not a shooter.

http://youtu.be/000_BF83-Qk

engie
12-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Wait, what? Detective in me says Coach Camp isn't Patrick Ewing Sr. so that would make it same momma and momma' genes ain't got shit to do with basketball talent. Ruling is that your comment is deemed useless but highly interesting.

Wait -- you just said female genetics has nothing to do with athletic talent? You don't know much about assortive mating do you?

engie
12-03-2014, 08:48 PM
He's a pretty good shooter. He just doesn't have a shooting highlight reel. And when you're a 4* 3 surrounded by a 5* 4 and a 5* 5, you don't get to launch 3s very often.

His skillset is comparable to Daniels and Houston...

Coach34
12-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Wait -- you just said female genetics has nothing to do with athletic talent? You don't know much about assortive mating do you?

Yeah Eng- Cheryl Swoops kids probably wont be able to walk and chew gum at the same time

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Yeah Eng- Cheryl Swoops kids probably wont be able to walk and chew gum at the same time

Whose Staley's mom then? She's not the athletic part of the genes. Bet.

mstatefan91
12-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Female genes have nothing to do with nothing in athletes**

TheRef
12-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Female genes have nothing to do with nothing in athletes**

She didn't play sports in college, therefore she has no athletic ability at all***

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 09:41 PM
She didn't play sports in college, therefore she has no athletic ability at all

No asterisks needed

TheRef
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
No asterisks needed

Maybe she didn't want to play sports in college?

Ya know....people do that.

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Maybe she didn't want to play sports in college?

Ya know....people do that.

Don't be an idiot. The two daddy's got the hoop skills. Coach Camp can confirm. Best to drop this probably.

engie
12-03-2014, 10:32 PM

It's ridiculous that I need to explain assortive mating to you even after I name-dropped it in hopes that you would research the obvious hint. The fact that she's raised 2 elite athletes with two different fathers lends credence to the fact that she has alot to do with the athleticism of the children. It's not a continued accidental/coincidental occurrence.

Patrick Ewing is 7' 240.
Ewing Jr is 6'8 240.
Elijah is 6'7 230.
Coach Camp looks to be about 6'4.

Obviously, their size comes from her. Athleticism may be harder to nail down -- but you are a moron for pretending that she doesn't play a huge role in that.

Dawg61
12-04-2014, 12:10 AM
It's ridiculous that I need to explain assortive mating to you even after I name-dropped it in hopes that you would research the obvious hint. The fact that she's raised 2 elite athletes with two different fathers lends credence to the fact that she has alot to do with the athleticism of the children. It's not a continued accidental/coincidental occurrence.

Patrick Ewing is 7' 240.
Ewing Jr is 6'8 240.
Elijah is 6'7 230.
Coach Camp looks to be about 6'4.

Obviously, their size comes from her. Athleticism may be harder to nail down -- but you are a moron for pretending that she doesn't play a huge role in that.

It's Patrick Ewing. A Hall of FAME basketball player. If you think momma Staley had anything to do with his son being a pro too you're flat out retarded.

GTHOM
12-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Let the kid play full time basketball if you ask me, thats how he talks and acts. we need him, we are set at QB with Williams after Dak, Fitz after Williams

Dawg61
12-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Let the kid play full time basketball if you ask me, thats how he talks and acts. we need him, we are set at QB with Williams after Dak, Fitz after Williams

I almost wonder if he'd be a better WR than QB. He reminds me of Randy Moss on the basketball court. I would like to see him at QB though. He's a dynamic athlete.

GTHOM
12-04-2014, 12:25 AM
I almost wonder if he'd be a better WR than QB. He reminds me of Randy Moss on the basketball court. I would like to see him at QB though. He's a dynamic athlete.

I dont know him personally but hes 6'7 let him play Basketball, its obvious the dude can ball

mstatefan91
12-04-2014, 12:29 AM
She didn't play sports in college, therefore she has no athletic ability at all***

She isn't 7'. No way she contributed to her sons' height**

MSUDawg4Life
12-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Elijah Staley was recruited with the promise that he would have the opportunity to play both sports. I'll be happy to see him on the court.

DeRunnya had that same opportunity. The kid is just smart enough to see that his best chance of making millions is NFL and decided to stick with football.

Who knows how good Staley will be at either sport? I can't to watch him play both.

maroonmania
12-04-2014, 10:02 AM

What have you been watching? Williams is a serviceable QB at the SEC level but not a guy you can build a big time team around like Dak. And that is no knock on Damien because he was a USM commit well down our board that Mullen had to go after late, so given those circumstances he has done pretty well. Hopefully Fitz will can come on and push Williams for the backup role next year. BUT, Staley was actually Mullen's top prospect to sign the year he did (per Mullen) and Mullen called him a 5 star QB. If we just cut him loose to basketball then I think that might be a big mistake because he has ALL the tools. Attitude and leadership may be the area that holds him back though.

defiantdog
12-04-2014, 10:13 AM
You never know..... Staley may be our Charlie Ward

quickstrike2
12-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Think the kid is just ready to play something and get playing time. I wouldn't mind it if he were any position but a QB, but I would think for an SEC aspiring QB, bowl practice would be a must. Can't blame him though, he loves basketball as well.

GTHOM
12-04-2014, 10:34 AM
What have you been watching? Williams is a serviceable QB at the SEC level but not a guy you can build a big time team around like Dak. And that is no knock on Damien because he was a USM commit well down our board that Mullen had to go after late, so given those circumstances he has done pretty well. Hopefully Fitz will can come on and push Williams for the backup role next year. BUT, Staley was actually Mullen's top prospect to sign the year he did (per Mullen) and Mullen called him a 5 star QB. If we just cut him loose to basketball then I think that might be a big mistake because he has ALL the tools. Attitude and leadership may be the area that holds him back though.

I watched Damian Williams come in and do a damn good job for a 3rd string true freshman last year and get us to a bowl game, Staley hasnt been on the field yet. Give me Williams over a guy whos only thrown passes in practice. Fitz looked good in the spring and when ive seen him practice, and after seeing Staley i know hes a good athlete, but if he wants to do basketball let the kid go play basketball. Staley did get cut from his high school football team, dont get me wrong i hope he does turn out like a 5 star.

Thick
12-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Do you really think Williams is going to hold off Fitzgerald? Not a chance, Fitzgerald might overtake the back up position by next year. Good football IQ, has been in the system longer then most true freshmen at this point, and understands the offense due to what he ran in HS. It doesn't hurt that he's 6'5 either.

GTHOM
12-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Do you really think Williams is going to hold off Fitzgerald? Not a chance, Fitzgerald might overtake the back up position by next year. Good football IQ, has been in the system longer then most true freshmen at this point, and understands the offense due to what he ran in HS. It doesn't hurt that he's 6'5 either.

Id put Williams out there over Fitz right now yes, Williams played very well for a guy that had no business even playing last year. Its obvious that hes got what it takes mentally and he can run the option. I like Fitz, he has a higher ceiling i just dont think weve seen the best from Damian yet

Maroons
12-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Good question since him and DeRunnya are basically the same height/size.

Staley is 2" taller.

engie
12-04-2014, 11:38 AM
The crazy thing to me is -- Williams has been here only about 7 months longer than Fitzgerald. At the same point in his actual time on campus, Dak was an erratic passer that coaches were unsure would ever be what could be termed as "good" in that regard. You have to look no further than when he became the starter in Russell's absence. We didn't unleash him to really make any throws until the bowl game in his 3rd year on campus...

Point being -- It's too early to define what any of them can or can't be at the QB position...

As far as the Dawg61 convo -- it's no point in even attempting to explain further. I should have known better than trying to explain genetics to someone that has repeatedly proven incapable of assessing even the simplest nuances of basketball. Good thing we cut the 48% 3P shooter that's an elite defender "that can't shoot and is a worthless waste of scholarship"**

GTHOM
12-04-2014, 11:53 AM
The crazy thing to me is -- Williams has been here only about 7 months longer than Fitzgerald. At the same point in his actual time on campus, Dak was an erratic passer that coaches were unsure would ever be what could be termed as "good" in that regard. You have to look no further than when he became the starter in Russell's absence. We didn't unleash him to really make any throws until the bowl game in his 3rd year on campus...

Point being -- It's too early to define what any of them can or can't be at the QB position...

As far as the Dawg61 convo -- it's no point in even attempting to explain further. I should have known better than trying to explain genetics to someone that has repeatedly proven incapable of assessing even the simplest nuances of basketball. Good thing we cut the 48% 3P shooter that's an elite defender "that can't shoot and is a worthless waste of scholarship"**

who did ray cut

Jacksondevildog
12-04-2014, 12:02 PM
who did ray cut

We must have had another ACL blown.

RossDawg82
12-04-2014, 12:05 PM
I watched Damian Williams come in and do a damn good job for a 3rd string true freshman last year and get us to a bowl game, Staley hasnt been on the field yet. Give me Williams over a guy whos only thrown passes in practice. Fitz looked good in the spring and when ive seen him practice, and after seeing Staley i know hes a good athlete, but if he wants to do basketball let the kid go play basketball. Staley did get cut from his high school football team, dont get me wrong i hope he does turn out like a 5 star.

He was kicked off because he had a disagreement with his coach about play calling. Big difference

Dawg61
12-04-2014, 12:07 PM

You're a damn moron Engie. When LeBron James sons grow up and play NBA you gonna say it's cause of their momma? Haha IT'S PATRICK EWING!! He could of had a baby with a 4 foot Vietnamese lady and it'd still go pro.

engie
12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
who did ray cut

I'm referring to D61 CONSTANTLY wanting to cut Fred Thomas last year. It's literally databased all over this board....

engie
12-04-2014, 01:19 PM
You're a damn moron Engie. When LeBron James sons grow up and play NBA you gonna say it's cause of their momma? Haha IT'S PATRICK EWING!! He could of had a baby with a 4 foot Vietnamese lady and it'd still go pro.

Patrick Ewing Jr is in the NBA? He got his size from his 7' dad? How did Elijah grow to the same size with a 6'4 dad? How did he attain roughly the same recruiting ranking/talent level/offer sheet coming out of high school as Patrick Jr had -- in spite of his much less-renowned last name?

Only one common factor there, chief -- and it involves you being a dumb ass.

Dawg61
12-04-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm referring to D61 CONSTANTLY wanting to cut Fred Thomas last year. It's literally databased all over this board....

Produce it then if "it's literally databased all over this board". I am FFTF's biggest critic but that's not the same as saying cut him.

Dawg61
12-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Patrick Ewing Jr is in the NBA? He got his size from his 7' dad? How did Elijah grow to the same size with a 6'4 dad? How did he attain roughly the same recruiting ranking/talent level/offer sheet coming out of high school as Patrick Jr had -- in spite of his much less-renowned last name?

Only one common factor there, chief -- and it involves you being a dumb ass.

PEjr did make it once to the NBA and you're just flat out guessing what Camp's height is. Once again you lie to try to prove a point. You're good at that. The lying part not the proving your point part.

maroonmania
12-04-2014, 01:29 PM

So I realize he was just a true freshman last year, but let's not overplay what he has done in meaningful games he's played in. Against Bama last year he actually looked his best but we didn't score any points due to his passes being dropped, against Ark Russell played for the most part and Williams OT run was by far his biggest contribution in that game, and then against OM in 3.5 quarters he played he led us to 7 points which came after a turnover at the OM 30 before Prescott entered the game to win it. This year he has been rather turnover prone and we have not been all that effective as an offense when he's been in although since early in the year he has really only seen mop up duty. I certainly haven't seen anything out of him that makes me feel great about him as our QB of the future. But that's just my opinion.

thf24
12-04-2014, 01:43 PM
So I realize he was just a true freshman last year, but let's not overplay what he has done in meaningful games he's played in. Against Bama last year he actually looked his best but we didn't score any points due to his passes being dropped, against Ark Russell played for the most part and Williams OT run was by far his biggest contribution in that game, and then against OM in 3.5 quarters he played he led us to 7 points which came after a turnover at the OM 30 before Prescott entered the game to win it. This year he has been rather turnover prone and we have not been all that effective as an offense when he's been in although since early in the year he has really only seen mop up duty. I certainly haven't seen anything out of him that makes me feel great about him as our QB of the future. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not sold on Williams either. He's looked good passing, but we know by now that a QB in Mullen's offense must be able to run effectively, and while Williams has some mobility, he's basically got Chris Relf's speed and athleticism at significantly less than Relf's size. I'm just not sure he could run consistently enough to make the offense effective. I think Fitz is our next starter at QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2014, 01:46 PM

I'm not saying Williams should or shouldn't be the man or even if he can be but he's gotten kind of a bad rap this year. His season stats are 14-23 155yds 3tds 0int with 16car 90yds 0tds. He has 1 turnover which came on a mishandled snap when he was changing the play. So again not here trying to pump him up but he's not as bad as some want to make him out.

maroonmania
12-04-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm not saying Williams should or shouldn't be the man or even if he can be but he's gotten kind of a bad rap this year. His season stats are 14-23 155yds 3tds 0int with 16car 90yds 0tds. He has 1 turnover which came on a mishandled snap when he was changing the play. So again not here trying to pump him up but he's not as bad as some want to make him out.

He has fumbled several snaps although I guess only one of which actually became a turnover. And I'm not trying to go all negative on him but, for now, I'm certainly not banking on him to be our starter after Dak.