PDA

View Full Version : McElwain to Florida talk here in CO

Ralph
12-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Apparently Foley was in Denver today to meet with CSU's coach Jim McElwain. This article says the $7.5 million buyout is the issue and the CSU prez won't back off of it.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2014/12/03/csu-football-coach-apparently-headed-florida/19845783/

Foley may end up with another Muschzookmacmahon type hire again.

ScottH
12-03-2014, 05:58 PM
the CSU prez won't back off of it.

I can't come up with a reason why he should.

CadaverDawg
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
McElwain seems like a decent coach, but that isn't exactly the "homerun" Florida fans were probably hoping for. Seems like a desperate move to get someone from the "Saban tree" since none of the high profile names are interested, if you ask me. Surely they didn't start with McElwain at the top of their list.

Johnson85
12-03-2014, 06:25 PM
We're about to see the price of poker go up if I were going to guess. Florida was paying Muschamp less than the MSU and UM coach. $4M is no longer enough to poach from one of the SEC 'have nots' (not that I believe Freeze was actually offered the job as opposed to Sexton working Bjork, but I don't think $4M would get him to jump). I'm guessing as places like Nebraska and Michigan get tired of falling behind, they will try to buy a sure thing coach so that $4M doesn't poach a coach from them. I'm guessing poaching coaches from Power 5 conferences (other than the SEC) is going to require $3.5 to $4M minimum for places that are historically a have not, and that it's going to be $5M minimum to poach from other Power Conference schools or the 'have-nots' in the SEC.

engie
12-03-2014, 06:32 PM
This one is basically a done deal as of now...

DownwardDawg
12-03-2014, 07:44 PM
McElwain seems like a decent coach, but that isn't exactly the "homerun" Florida fans were probably hoping for. Seems like a desperate move to get someone from the "Saban tree" since none of the high profile names are interested, if you ask me. Surely they didn't start with McElwain at the top of their list.
Pretty sure he was their top candidate from the beginning.

HancockCountyDog
12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
CSU is balking on the buyout. Foley is back in Gainesville with no coach.

CSU wants the full 7.5 million buyout. Considering they are paying Boom 6.5 million, and guys like Roper 1.5 million, that is like 16-18 million before you pay McElwain a dollar.

Just too funny.