PDA

View Full Version : Bcs, I miss you

msstate7
12-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I wish the bcs did the rankings, not the committee. If the bcs did the rankings, we'd still be alive for the playoffs.

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state/heres-what-the-bcs-standings-would-look-like-right-now-after-week-14

3. Oregon
4. Tcu
5. Ohio state
6. Baylor
7. State

CadaverDawg
12-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Yep. Hopefully they screw up enough this year to make everyone want to use the BCS computer system to pick the playoff teams moving forward.

The only fair way to do it, is to either get rid of the Conference Championship games, and seed the teams as follows...

Playoffs
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Power Bowls
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

And have the only exception being to try and avoid repeat conference matchups.

Or, everyone should have a Conference Championship game, and the Conference Champions from the SEC, ACC, Big 12, PAC12, and BIG 10 all be guaranteed a spot in one of the Top 6 bowl games, but if they aren't ranked in the top 12, they will steal the #12 team's spot in the power bowls.

Did that make sense?

Everyone should either have to play a conference championship, or nobody should.

BeastMan
12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
I agree. This 4-game playoff will balloon into an 8 game playoff next. Before you know it, 9-3 Southern Cal will be playing for a NC. Don't give me wrong, I love March Madness but there is not a true national champion every year. Just a national tourney winner.

quickstrike2
12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
I think it really needs to be a 8 team playoff. I guess the 9 and 10 teams left out would be mad then, but 8 is way better than 4. Atleast you get a fair shot. Like March Madness, you may get a bad seeding or something but you get to settle it on the field.

CadaverDawg
12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
This would be the BCS matchups in an 8 team playoff right now...

#1 Alabama vs #8 Michigan State

#4 TCU vs #5 Ohio State

#3 Oregon vs #6 Baylor

#2 Florida State vs #7 Mississippi State

No matter how you slice it....It's hard to deny that in this scenario you got all the teams included that could potentially win it all.

Do away with the Conference Championship Games and it would leave the National Champ playing 15 games which is where we currently are. Plus, that would eliminate teams acting like they have some given right at a playoff spot due to winning a shitty conference. No conference tie ins....just the top 8 teams get in according to the BCS.

Dawg61
12-03-2014, 02:20 PM
I think a 64 team playoff would be awesome. That's 6 games for the winner and runner up. Eliminate OOC meaningless games. That's four games for most. An SECCG and 2 round playoff puts an SEC team at 7 extra games including OOC already. Play at home sites till the final four. Won't happen but I think it'd be very entertaining.

msstate7
12-03-2014, 02:23 PM
This would be the BCS matchups in an 8 team playoff right now...

#1 Alabama vs #8 Michigan State

#4 TCU vs #5 Ohio State

#3 Oregon vs #6 Baylor

#2 Florida State vs #7 Mississippi State

No matter how you slice it....It's hard to deny that in this scenario you got all the teams included that could potentially win it all.

Do away with the Conference Championship Games and it would leave the National Champ playing 15 games which is where we currently are. Plus, that would eliminate teams acting like they have some given right at a playoff spot due to winning a shitty conference. No conference tie ins....just the top 8 teams get in according to the BCS.

I wouldve loved facing Fsu a few weeks ago. Now I hate the thought of Winston to o'leary esp since we don't come after the qb

DownwardDawg
12-03-2014, 02:23 PM
I think it really needs to be a 8 team playoff. I guess the 9 and 10 teams left out would be mad then, but 8 is way better than 4. Atleast you get a fair shot. Like March Madness, you may get a bad seeding or something but you get to settle it on the field.

I agree with this 100%. It should have been 8 from the beginning. I think the 5-7 ranked teams have a legit chance of being the national champs. After that, it gets way more unlikely.

I knew we would miss the BCS the minute they announced this committee. I laughed and said WTF?!? It will become political (if it hasn't already), pressured by media and other outside forces, and some of these members are not going to do the research to make an informed vote.

CadaverDawg
12-03-2014, 02:26 PM
I wouldve loved facing Fsu a few weeks ago, but I dread the thought of Winston to o'leary esp since we don't come after the qb

Isn't it amazing how the BCS would have a great mix of Conferences in that final 8? It would be 2 SEC teams, 2 BIG 10 teams, 2 BIG 12 teams, 1 ACC team, and 1 PAC 12 team. It would basically get a representative from every power conference, which is what all these yahoos want...yet would likely get us a true Champion. I'm all for going back to the computers and going to an 8 team playoff

CadaverDawg
12-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I agree with this 100%. It should have been 8 from the beginning. I think the 5-7 ranked teams have a legit chance of being the national champs. After that, it gets way more unlikely.

I knew we would miss the BCS the minute they announced this committee. I laughed and said WTF?!? It will become political (if it hasn't already), pressured by media and other outside forces, and some of these members are not going to do the research to make an informed vote.

I agree with your point about 5-7 being potential winners, and everyone below that not so much. That would ensure that you got the most capable teams, but leaves very little argument from a team like Mizzou that lost to Indiana, or Georgia that lost to USC, etc..

NCDawg
12-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I wouldve loved facing Fsu a few weeks ago. Now I hate the thought of Winston to o'leary esp since we don't come after the qb

Yeah, we'd sit back and hope he would throw a bad pass. Would be sure not to blitz-we read and react