PDA

View Full Version : Juco's will be very important next season

msstate7
12-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Looks like we're gonna be pretty dependent on juco's. Here's the list of them that we have enrolled/committed/recruiting:

W. Coleman (enrolled)
J. Johnson (enrolled)

D. Gray (committed)
J. Calvin (committed)
T. Jung (committed)

M. Rankin (recruiting)
M. Swain (recruiting)
K. Mahoni (recruiting)
J. Allen (recruiting)

Out of the enrolled/committed group, how many are actual impact players?

Out of the recruiting group, who do we land and how good are they?

This group of juco's may determine if we reach 10 wins again next season

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2014, 07:47 AM
I think you can put Gray in the impact players group without hesitation. He can't get here soon enough. I hope he receives the opening kickoff next season.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 08:00 AM
If rankin signs with OM, I just don't understand this kid. OM has issues at qb and rb. OM also has 2 returning starters at tackle. We return the best qb in the sec, one of the best rb's, wr's galore, and have an open tackle spot. This should be a no brainer

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2014, 08:10 AM
http://www.demotivationalposters.net/image/demotivational-poster/0912/2-bird-1-stone-scenario-money-cash-women-demotivational-poster-1261494520.jpg

Recruiting ploy up north.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Looks like we're gonna be pretty dependent on juco's. Here's the list of them that we have enrolled/committed/recruiting:

W. Coleman (enrolled)
J. Johnson (enrolled)

D. Gray (committed)
J. Calvin (committed)
T. Jung (committed)

M. Rankin (recruiting)
M. Swain (recruiting)
K. Mahoni (recruiting)
J. Allen (recruiting)

Out of the enrolled/committed group, how many are actual impact players?

Out of the recruiting group, who do we land and how good are they?

This group of juco's may determine if we reach 10 wins again next season

I think people are overvaluing Jucos. Very rarely does a Juco come in and start right away at our program now. We have reached the point that we have guys that are really difficult to jump on the depth chart. Look at Hutcherson and the Johnson kid. Neither kid made an impact this season, I think Johnson redshirted.

Out of the list above, I really think that Donald Gray is the only player that has a chance to crack the starting lineup. Rankin might be able to, but if you think he is going to walk in and jump some of the OL we already have on campus, I think you are mistaken.

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 10:10 AM
I think people are overvaluing Jucos. Very rarely does a Juco come in and start right away at our program now. We have reached the point that we have guys that are really difficult to jump on the depth chart. Look at Hutcherson and the Johnson kid. Neither kid made an impact this season, I think Johnson redshirted.

Out of the list above, I really think that Donald Gray is the only player that has a chance to crack the starting lineup. Rankin might be able to, but if you think he is going to walk in and jump some of the OL we already have on campus, I think you are mistaken.

I agree with this ESPECIALLY if you don't get your top targets from JUCO. Apparently Rankin is the top JUCO OL on our board. If we don't get him I am fine to just go with another HS OL and develop him. There is a rumor that D Robinson may be attempting a comeback. I noticed that he wasn't announced on SR day so maybe so. Anyone know? He could at least provide us some experienced depth next year if nothing else.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I agree with this ESPECIALLY if you don't get your top targets from JUCO. Apparently Rankin is the top JUCO OL on our board. If we don't get him I am fine to just go with another HS OL and develop him. There is a rumor that D Robinson may be attempting a comeback. I noticed that he wasn't announced on SR day so maybe so. Anyone know? He could at least provide us some experienced depth next year if nothing else.

I'm not sure I like bring Robinson back. We're already in a numbers crunch. I don't wanna lose a recruit hoping Robinson does something he hasn't done yet

EAVdog
12-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Same as Will Coleman. Which gave them a year to get into the 'system' and not have to jump right in. That will help a whole lot.

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure I like bring Robinson back. We're already in a numbers crunch. I don't wanna lose a recruit hoping Robinson does something he hasn't done yet

Well, is bringing Robinson back any worse than giving a scholly to a JUCO OL that is several spots down on our board?

Big4Dawg
12-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Well, is bringing Robinson back any worse than giving a scholly to a JUCO OL that is several spots down on our board?

Yes, it is. He has had his chance - four years. Let someone else come in and try who hasn't had the chance to develop under an SEC program.

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Yes, it is. He has had his chance - four years. Let someone else come in and try who hasn't had the chance to develop under an SEC program.

Well, you certainly make a good point, my thought was just for a one year stop gap measure while Dak is a SR. Year after next I fully expect these younger OL we've recruited out of HS to come on and take over most all of the starting OL spots. If they don't it will be very disappointing.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Well, you certainly make a good point, my thought was just for a one year stop gap measure while Dak is a SR. Year after next I fully expect these younger OL we've recruited out of HS to come on and take over most all of the starting OL spots. If they don't it will be very disappointing.

It's time for jake Thomas and flowers to step up

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Rankin & Swain would start if we get them. Gray & Myles will battle it out to start at slot. Calvin & Coleman will provide good depth behind Brown & Jefferson at DE. It's looking more like Jung won't be here til the summer so that hurts his chances at starting but at worst he'll be a 1B. Allen we'll just have to see if he gets offered. Mahoni I think we have to miss on a few guys for him to come in play plus he wouldn't get here til the summer so I don't think he'd start unless he's very very good.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2014, 11:02 AM
It's time for jake Thomas and flowers to step up

With Day & Beckwith graduating & seemingly Clayborn & Desper moving to the starting lineup it sets up for Thomas & Flowers to be on the 2 deep at OG next year.

DCdawg
12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Don't forget about Carr. I think if the numbers work out that he will get an offer.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2014, 11:20 AM
If we miss on Swain then Carr will get his offer. If we get Swain I think Carr is left out.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Do we have any shot at DJ Jones. He is a FSU commit, and has offers from every SEC school. He is a big time DT and I think based on his offers could be a plug and play DT.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 12:20 PM

He would not count against our 85. He would be like having a talented walk-on. There is no downside to bringing Robinson back.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Do we have any shot at DJ Jones. He is a FSU commit, and has offers from every SEC school. He is a big time DT and I think based on his offers could be a plug and play DT.

No.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
No.

Is he overrated? I was told by guys on the coast he was the best DL in Juco this year. I think a lot of the EMCC guys get overrated because their team is so good, but it seems he has a ton of offers.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Juco players usually come with flaws: Either they didn't have the grades out of high school, or they got in some sort of trouble like Chad Kelly/Cam Newton. But then there are players like Vick Ballard and Martinas Rankin who didn't get major offers out of high school, went to Juco and developed. Nothing wrong with taking guys like this that can sign in December. I'm not a fan of taking May graduates.

What you don't want to do with Juco's is reach for a prospect like this staff has done. If the have off the field flaws, they better not have on the field flaws too. I think we would all take a Cam Newton, Duke Williams, Pernell McPhee or a Cordarrelle Patterson. Jackie raised the bar at MSU by signing elite D-linemen and corners with the occassional OG like Randy Thomas, but the Juco landscape has become much more competitve. UGA used to not touch Jucos just to give you one example.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Is he overrated? I was told by guys on the coast he was the best DL in Juco this year. I think a lot of the EMCC guys get overrated because their team is so good, but it seems he has a ton of offers.

He is a beast, but we have no chance of signing him.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Juco players usually come with flaws: Either they didn't have the grades out of high school, or they got in some sort of trouble like Chad Kelly/Cam Newton. But then there are players like Vick Ballard and Martinas Rankin who didn't get major offers out of high school, went to Juco and developed. Nothing wrong with taking guys like this that can sign in December. I'm not a fan of taking May graduates.

What you don't want to do with Juco's is reach for a prospect like this staff has done. If the have off the field flaws, they better not have on the field flaws too. I think we would all take a Cam Newton, Duke Williams, Pernell McPhee or a Cordarrelle Patterson. Jackie raised the bar at MSU by signing elite D-linemen and corners with the occassional OG like Randy Thomas, but the Juco landscape has become much more competitve. UGA used to not touch Jucos just to give you one example.

This is a great post. Completely agree. If we are signing Jucos and they can't contribute in their first year, then we are signing the wrong jucos.

sandwolf
12-02-2014, 12:47 PM
He would not count against our 85. He would be like having a talented walk-on. There is no downside to bringing Robinson back.

How so? Would he be paying his own way?

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Well, I think you just said what I said with additional words. But yes, if you can get a JUCO you REALLY want then great, but I would rather go sign another HS guy than, as you said, make a "reach" on a JUCO just to get one.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 12:49 PM
How so? Would he be paying his own way?

Yes.

engie
12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

DJ is elite -- but like many kids on EMCC's squad, is not originally from MS, and outside of playing 2 years at East, has no ties to MSU.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Well, I think you just said what I said with additional words. But yes, if you can get a JUCO you REALLY want then great, but I would rather go sign another HS guy than, as you said, make a "reach" on a JUCO just to get one.

I'm just educating the masses bub. Jucos need to be a part of our recruiting strategy. But we need to stick with MS juco's except the rarest of circumstances and they need to be guys who can step in and make a big impact right away at need positions only. A California OG makes no sense to me at all and doesn't speak well of our returning guards. Jung makes no sense at all. We have plenty of LB's and he is a May grad and we are tight on spots. There are several we have signed in the past that made no sense.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Yes.

I thought if I player was recruited that he counted towards 85 regardless

engie
12-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Only if they are on athletic scholarship aid. Rashun Dixon was originally recruited -- but his ride is being paid for by MLB. Hence, he does not count against the 85.

I'm not sure if we would "pull" Robinson's 6th yr of aid or not. I'd lean toward not if our coaches think he can help us...

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm just educating the masses bub. Jucos need to be a part of our recruiting strategy. But we need to stick with MS juco's except the rarest of circumstances and they need to be guys who can step in and make a big impact right away at need positions only. A California OG makes no sense to me at all and doesn't speak well of our returning guards. Jung makes no sense at all. We have plenty of LB's and he is a May grad and we are tight on spots. There are several we have signed in the past that made no sense.

Bub? Dang, touchy. Basically saying we are in agreement on the matter.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Bub? Dang, touchy. Basically saying we are in agreement on the matter.

LOL, Bub is not touchy. Now if I called you Chief or Bruh, then I would have been upset.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 02:46 PM
LOL, Bub is not touchy. Now if I called you Chief or Bruh, then I would have been upset.

Or a Jive Turkey.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Only their freshmen year is guaranteed if they are part of our signing class. Remember scholarships are one year deals. If I'm a four star recruit out of high school but I can't crack the lineup, I could have my scholarship pulled for lack of performance on my part. It happens at every school. Sometimes when that happens the player transfers to another school and sometimes they choose to stay on the team essentially as a walk-on and no one really knows about it except the player, his family, and the coaches.

Remember what Paul Jones always says- the numbers will work themselves out. That's part of what he is talking about.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Excellent post.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Only their freshmen year is guaranteed if they are part of our signing class. Remember scholarships are one year deals. If I'm a four star recruit out of high school but I can't crack the lineup, I could have my scholarship pulled for lack of performance on my part. It happens at every school. Sometimes when that happens the player transfers to another school and sometimes they choose to stay on the team essentially as a walk-on and no one really knows about it except the player, his family, and the coaches.

Remember what Paul Jones always says- the numbers will work themselves out. That's part of what he is talking about.

We almost never pull scholarships. Im sure it has happened, but that is one of the things about recruiting in-state, you can't just pull a kid's scholarship two years into his tenure.

Look at Curtis Virges. Nice kid, but the last two years he has added basically nothing to the defense. Saban would have pulled his scholly two years ago. We can't burn a bridge at West Point. Im not saying that would do it, but it certainly would not go over well at all.

Now, there are ways to force a kid's hand, but I don't think we should get into that here.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 04:16 PM
We almost never pull scholarships. Im sure it has happened, but that is one of the things about recruiting in-state, you can't just pull a kid's scholarship two years into his tenure.

Look at Curtis Virges. Nice kid, but the last two years he has added basically nothing to the defense. Saban would have pulled his scholly two years ago. We can't burn a bridge at West Point. Im not saying that would do it, but it certainly would not go over well at all.

Now, there are ways to force a kid's hand, but I don't think we should get into that here.

I hear you and while I'm sure pulling scholarships happens at all schools, I would also say that it's also not the norm.

tcdog70
12-02-2014, 08:08 PM

I can think of several JUCos that were pretty good

1 Jackie Parker..
2. ode Burrell
3.jesse James
4. JJ Johnson
5 Tommy Watson
6chris white
7fred Smoot
8 robert Bean
9. greg Williams
10. Phernell Mcfee
12 Justin Cox

There you have a dozen and if I think I'll come with more. All these were prety dang good

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I can think of several JUCos that were pretty good

1 Jackie Parker..
2. ode Burrell
3.jesse James
4. JJ Johnson
5 Tommy Watson
6chris white
7fred Smoot
8 robert Bean
9. greg Williams
10. Phernell Mcfee
12 Justin Cox

There you have a dozen and if I think I'll come with more. All these were prety dang good

There is one guy on that list that signed in the last five years - Cox's and his impact was questionable.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 09:24 PM
There is one guy on that list that signed in the last five years - Cox's and his impact was questionable.

Add Vick Ballard

tcdog70
12-02-2014, 11:37 PM

So I guess. You think those guys couldn't play now. So I forgot Vick. Also Slay. Also Autry and Berry. Cox was good enough to start at two positions. And we would maybe have lost last years OM game and this years Auburn game.pretty good impact. starts two years and and has two huge interception.. Who knows he might stopped the long run and pass Saturday. Jackie had large success with JUCos . #1, can't remember his name, K prentiss,John James,Brown.if you are going recruit JuCo then sign ones that can play.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2014, 11:50 PM
So I guess. You think those guys couldn't play now. So I forgot Vick. Also Slay. Also Autry and Berry. Cox was good enough to start at two positions. And we would maybe have lost last years OM game and this years Auburn game.pretty good impact. starts two years and and has two huge interception.. Who knows he might stopped the long run and pass Saturday. Jackie had large success with JUCos . #1, can't remember his name, K prentiss,John James,Brown.if you are going recruit JuCo then sign ones that can play.

The point you are missing is that Jackie's teams needed jucos because our teams didn't have the depth that our current team has. If we can sign a DJ Jones or Rankin, it make sense. The problem is that we are signing some guys that aren't impact jucos in my opinion.

Hot Rock
12-03-2014, 07:15 AM
JuCo's can make an immediate impact. I just don't want too many, you end up with too many players leaving after a year or two. I like to see 2 to 4 brought in every year in an area of need, that's it.

It has a similar affect as LSU loosing too many to the NFL after year 3 except it's a year sooner and messes with your depth after a few years. One year missing on these guys and you are toast.

whosyourdawgy
12-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Come on man. How can you forget Ashley Cooper

msstate7
12-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Miss has some of the best juco talent in the country. To not take advantage would be foolish. We should cherry pick juco's though. If we take a chance on a kid, let that kid be a HS though.

tcdog70
12-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Come on man. How can you forget Ashley Cooper

Sorry a Sr moment

tcdog70
12-04-2014, 02:36 PM
=HancockCountyDog;300663]The point you are missing is that Jackie's teams needed jucos because our teams didn't have the depth that our current team has. If we can sign a DJ Jones or Rankin, it make sense. The problem is that we are signing some guys that aren't impact jucos in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Let's. Remember, the only time we have played in Atlanta,we did with JUCOs playing a huge role. Every player we sign won't make it.so why does it matter if they Are JuCo orHS.If they are a bust then give me a JuCo bust

HoopsDawg
12-04-2014, 02:50 PM
=HancockCountyDog;300663]The point you are missing is that Jackie's teams needed jucos because our teams didn't have the depth that our current team has. If we can sign a DJ Jones or Rankin, it make sense. The problem is that we are signing some guys that aren't impact jucos in my opinion.

Let's. Remember, the only time we have played in Atlanta,we did with JUCOs playing a huge role. Every player we sign won't make it.so why does it matter if they Are JuCo orHS.If they are a bust then give me a JuCo bust[/QUOTE]

Right now, my 3 favorite commits are Donald Gray, Jamal Peters, and J. Calvin. 2 out of 3 are jucos.

Jacksondevildog
12-04-2014, 03:02 PM
For some reason, most of our Juco players take a year to get better and end up having one really good year their senior year. If Duke Williams for Auburn played for MSU, it would have taken him a few games to get ready to play for MSU and he wouldn't have had the success that he did at Auburn his junior year. ***

HoopsDawg
12-04-2014, 04:24 PM
For some reason, most of our Juco players take a year to get better and end up having one really good year their senior year. If Duke Williams for Auburn played for MSU, it would have taken him a few games to get ready to play for MSU and he wouldn't have had the success that he did at Auburn his junior year. ***

Mullen would have worked him into the lineup behind Robert Johnson.