PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's thoughts: How much do you think this year will help us?

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Not talking about recruiting

It's been a few days since our game, and I think everyone realizes that we got our asses kicked, have some things we need to improve upon, and I think many on here have thrown out some great ideas and thoughts on how we can do that.

My question, however, is can the experience we gained from this run, improve our program?

Since the game, I've been trying to put my finger on what went wrong, and, sure, there were many schematic and personnel problems in the game, but I think it was something more. I think since this team went up 21 in the first quarter against Auburn, they began to feel like I feel when I birdie to first two holes of the golf course and start believing I'm going to shoot my best round ever. When this rare event happens, I start playing to not screw up, rather than playing free and easy. I start over analyzing every shot, over analyzing my swing, start believing the wind is blowing when it's not, and generally begin to do a terrible job of just playing golf; not because I've gotten lazy, not because I wasn't "hyped up" but rather because I created a paralysis by analysis situation, which soon became mental exhaustion, and then resulted in poor play.

My overall point is: The Amateur never wins The Masters, the professional marathon runners always win the major marathons, and the San Antonio Spurs continue to win NBA Titles when they aren't the most talented team. I believe there is major value in having been there and done that, and most of all, having your expectations high enough, so that when you are competing for a championship, you don't feel like a fish out of water and that you are just hanging on because you don't belong. Hanging on is mentally and physically exhausting.

For these reasons, I'm leaning towards believing that the 2014 MSU Football team didn't waste an opportunity, but rather played a crucial role in the maturation of this program. The true wasted opportunity would be if we don't follow up this season with another great season next year, and another great season after that, because just like training for a marathon, you don't go on three mile jogs everyday and then run a marathon. You have to build up to running a marathon in order to actually run one and have a chance to win. Playing 8 SEC games a year, like Ole Miss did this year, isn't the marathon I am speaking of. Playing 8 tough SEC games while carrying the weight on a number 1 ranking, national championships hopes, and having to take everyone's best shot is what I'm talking about. Ole Miss didn't stay undefeated long enough into the season to understand the true fishbowl of pressure that our players endured and the mental and psychological exhaustion that resulted from it.

Can you win a championship without going through the maturation process? Sure, but it's highly unlikely. Most of the teams at the top, don't win championships more than they actually win them, but no one remembers that because they keep getting back.

In conclusion, this season was a great piece of the learning and maturation process for all involved from our players to coaches and on to our fanbase. Our fanbase grew up a lot this year. When we reached number 1 in the polls, everyone went ape-shit because we had never been there before. Can you imagine how the players felt? Can you imagine the attention to detail at practice, the effort they were giving everyday, the pressure that they felt to hang on to a spot that MSU had never been in before. Frankly, it was an incredible weight that they weren't used to carrying, and over the course of the season, they mentally wore down from exhaustion. I don't believe they came out flat at Ole Miss because of a bus ride, I believe they came out flat because they were mentally on empty, after enduring a 6 game stretch where they were ranked in the top 4 and in the conversation to play for a national title. Sure, Mullen had coached national title teams before, but he coached them at school and with a fanbase that was used to being in that situation, knew how to handle it, and coached players that expected to carry that weight when they signed on the dotted line to play at Florida. It was the expectation there, but at MSU is wasn't.

However, what makes Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, etc great programs, is that because they carry that weight so often, they become professionals at carrying that weight, they have an expectation of carrying that weight because they sign up to do so, and they feel like they should carrying that weight and thus aren't hanging on.

Some have asked, "Would you trade our season for Ole Miss'" the answer is "Hell no" because our program is and fans are further along than theirs because we have carried the weight of a championship season on our shoulders and are in the midst of the maturation of our program. Make no mistake, they held a psychological edge in the Egg Bowl because they could play loose and free because they were playing for nothing and no one expected anything from them. As an MSU fan, I would rather be playing for something and fail than be playing for nothing and win. The point of having a football program is to fund other sports, and compete championships. If your not competing for a championship, then your season is a failure.

So, IMO it's time to circle the wagons, figure out our problems and areas of improvement, be open to new ideas, and whip someone's ass in the bowl game so that we can get 2015 off to the right start because I know that next time we are in a position like we were this year, we will feel like we belong a little more, have a little better idea about how handle the moment, and, ultimately, have a better chance of finishing it off.

2014 wasn't a wasted opportunity, but rather a one of the keystones of the championship building process. The true shame and wasted opportunity wasn't losing to Ole Miss in Oxford, the true shame and wasted opportunity will be if we don't get back and have a chance to put into the practice the lessons and wisdom that we gained from this journey.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 01:35 AM
Great post and I totally agree with everything you said.

I think the solution is the coaches have to assess what went wrong and why and then correct it. Specifically the Alabama and Ole Miss games. The good news is we get another chance next year. And I think the biggest thing on their end is getting the team to play loose and with a lot of genuine emotion. Dan needs to make a conscious decision that if he loses to lose calling a game that's aggressive and not a lose a game because he was too conservative. Play to win and get your players involved.

They need to understand that as long as we have Dak, teams are going to play to stop the run. That makes it imperative to me that we pass the ball better and with more diversity in the passing game. I'm not saying abandon the run or anything like that. I'm saying make ourselves a threat in the passing game by involving more people and using our slot guys more. If we force teams to take their safeties out of the box, we'll be able to run.

I do want to see us run it up on inferior teams. Or at least stop treating it like a YMCA scrimmage where everyone shares the same amount of snaps at the same time. Sure, put the back-ups in, but if they're not performing and the opponent drives to say the 30-35- put some of the starters in and snuff it out. How many times did we hear about UAB this year? Run our offense. Try things in those cup cake games. That's part of what they are for. If the media calls us out for running it up on UAB, screw them.

I would tell our players next year- have fun and embrace it. Take it one week at a time. Treat every game like it's the Super Bowl and the biggest game ever. Play to have the perfect game and if and when you fall short, you will still achieve greatness.

thf24
12-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Excellent post, completely agree.

LC Dawg
12-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I agree with what you say and as I was reading it I thought about our two losses. We played pretty poorly in the first half of both losses but at Bama we came out in the 2nd half and played looser and better. The difference in that game and the Ole Miss game is that, even though we were #1, we were not favored to beat Bama. Not many people gave us a chance in Tuscaloosa so I think it was easier for our guys to loosen up a little and say "what do we have to lose".
Going into Oxford we were favored and needed a win to stay in the championship hunt. Our guys were never able to relax and say "what do we have to lose" because they knew exactly what they had to lose. I'm sure the expectations of the game and the weight of the entire season had gotten to them.
We need to get to a point where we don't have to say "what do we have to lose" to play loose but instead we need to know how to play in those type games because we've done it before.
I hope when we win a championship we look back at this season and realize this is when we really began to learn how to win championships.

dparker
12-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I think one difference is that using your Golf example is that the person gets that experience and can improve. A football team is a group of new players every 5 years. So if we wait 10 years to have this level of success again then there is no benefit.

If you're saying the coaches are gaining this experience, I think most of them have been on championship teams before and therefore should already have it.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Just pulled this thread up at work, and I'm gonna need Cliff's Notes or a long lunch break to read these novels.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I think one difference is that using your Golf example is that the person gets that experience and can improve. A football team is a group of new players every 5 years. So if we wait 10 years to have this level of success again then there is no benefit.

If you're saying the coaches are gaining this experience, I think most of them have been on championship teams before and therefore should already have it.

I do somewhat agree that the players change, but I think it has more to do with the expectations of the program and the expectations of the fans.

I don't think MSU did anything wrong this year because we had never been in this situation before. Look at how the fans handled the #1 ranking for example. Since it was the first time in MSU history it had happened, everyone went crazy, which is fine, but that also put an incredible amount of pressure, dreams, etc... into our players heads. We simply weren't prepared to handle the moment because we had never been there.

What will happen next time we are ranked #1? IMO, it will be much lower key, and MSU fans and the program will have a much more mature, been there done that attitude about it, which should translate to a football team that feels less pressure and less like they are in a fish bowl.

Alabama's players frequently change as well, but at Alabama, its the expectation that you are in the national championship hunt, and there is always pressure. Due to these expectations and the frequency at which they carry that weight, Alabama players have an easier time adapting and playing loose, because they know no different and are used to it.

I know from a fan standpoint, being engaged 24/7 with radio talk shows, Sportcenter, Tuesday night College Football Playoffs, etc... became exhausting. I can only imagine how the players felt, and I believe next time they will have an easier time compartmentalizing and playing like they have been there before.

hells bells
12-02-2014, 12:37 PM
A magical season and unexpected in my lifetime. Alabama game was a disappointment, the Egg Bowl was a utter disaster. Coaching staff needs to move on and learn how to make changes during games when the plan is not working. Say it again, out coached, out played, out scored, then run out of the stadium. Budget for hotel rooms please next year when needed.