PDA

View Full Version : How will Dan respond in our bowl game?

SDDawg
12-02-2014, 12:06 AM
I remember 2012 and while it was a completely different situation at QB, I was not pleased with how we responded coming out of the Egg Bowl loss. Given that history, what do you think Dan will do in our bowl game and how do you expect him to respond coming off of this loss? Will he come out with something to prove and have a really aggressive game plan or will it be more of the same and just have success come down the matchup? What specifically do you expect him to actually change (not what you wish for, but what you think he'll actually do)?

BossDawg
12-02-2014, 01:05 AM
I'm not too excited about it. Not because of the EB loss, but because of the way the team responded in the bowl game. It left a bad taste in my mouth and this time has that same feeling to it.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Disgree

This year should be different because our program knows what it is capable. Sure it hurts, but the true shame in this season isn't losing at Ole Miss, the true shame is if we don't get back next year and next and have the opportunity to practice the lessons that we learned from this season.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 01:41 AM
I think the biggest difference between 2012 and this time is there was some obvious and well known friction on the coaching staff. And I think that had a lot to do with the bowl performance myself.

There may or may not be a couple of changes on the staff, but I don't think there is that much friction between Geoff and Dan. Personally, I think we will come out looking for some redemption as a team myself. I think Dak is more of a competitor and a better leader than Tyler. I think we have some good leaders on the defensive side of the ball. Without Cox and Market, safety is a huge concern.

The biggest thing I would like to see different is some two back sets with Josh and Shumpert.

Bothrops
12-02-2014, 03:24 AM
I've never been much of a sunshine pumper, but I have a strong feeling whoever we play in the bowl game will be in trouble. This is very different than 2012, because we had struggled all year and didn't care about going back to Jacksonville. Our effort against Northwestern was a joke, and we still hung around most of the game. This will be a new bowl destination for Mullen and team, and we will probably face a good opponent. I think the team will be pretty pumped.

Churchill
12-02-2014, 08:13 AM
I expect him to respond like he`s well paid to respond. Does your question imply that he has a choice of preparing the team as he should or pouting like he`s been so notorious for in the past ? I don`t see that as his choice if that`s what you`re implying.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 08:23 AM
I think we're gonna stomp our bowl opponent. Dan will or should preach the bowl game is the start of our '15 championship run. Win this game convincingly and we'll be ranked fairly high starting '15

headcoach98
12-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Dan, his staff and the players will respond well in the bowl game. I expect Dan to call a better game with more diverse plays to loosen up the offense.

LC Dawg
12-02-2014, 09:05 AM
I have no idea how Coach Mullen will respond for the bowl game but I'm real interested to find out. He's only been in this spot once and the result wasn't good. The main thing I see that needs to happen is the coaching staff needs to maintain focus and keep the team focused. I don't know everything going on behind the scenes in 2012 but it looked like Coach Mullen wasn't into that bowl game and in turn it looked like the players weren't into it either. I hope our seniors and other leaders on the team keep us on task.
This is not just a bowl game, it is a chance to get to 11 wins which we have never done. This is a chance for us to take yet another step up the ladder into national prominence. We can be a top 10 team at the end of the year that everyone is talking about or we can be a 20th ranked team on a two game losing streak who's only being talked about because of how far we have fallen.

SDDawg
12-02-2014, 09:11 AM
I expect him to respond like he`s well paid to respond. Does your question imply that he has a choice of preparing the team as he should or pouting like he`s been so notorious for in the past ? I don`t see that as his choice if that`s what you`re implying.

I'm implying that Dan could be stubborn and just try to stick with what he's been doing all year and that depending on the matchup that will turn out badly, especially with so much time to prepare. Or he can commit to a new game plan, surprise our opponents, and also start developing the approach for next year. Dak as a "run first" option should not be part of that game plan. Getting Jameon or another slot receiver involved early and often should be, among many others.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Now that we lost, the pressure is totally gone. So I'm expecting us to play loose and dominate whoever we play. Mullen and Collins shouldn't have to worry about being conservative or not taking risks....so we will probably see a little bit more of the psycho D and wide open Offense, or else something is wrong. I would tell Smith, Eulls, Virges, PJ, Wells, and BMac to pin their ears back in their last ever game for MSU, and live in the backfield all day long. Offensively, I would air it out and let it be a preview for next season. Lots of creativity, trick plays, and imagination on offense. Anything less and I'll be disappointed. This game should be one that rewards the players and excites recruits....win or lose, we should let it rip.

TrapGame
12-02-2014, 09:39 AM
I think our opponent means a lot too. If, say, we do get Ohio State in the Peach then Mullen will be Hell bent on showing up Urban. But, based on Mullen's fiery post game comments and stuff I've read from the players post game I think it's safe to say they will come out balls to the wall in the bowl game.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
I really hope we get to play Michigan State, Ohio State, TCU, or Baylor.

It would be great to notch a big win over one of those teams, and create a perception and reality that MSU/SEC is superior to these teams, which should help us in 2015.

Dawgface
12-02-2014, 10:21 AM
No thanks to Baylor. They would have a feast on our secondary.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I think the biggest difference between 2012 and this time is there was some obvious and well known friction on the coaching staff. And I think that had a lot to do with the bowl performance myself.

There may or may not be a couple of changes on the staff, but I don't think there is that much friction between Geoff and Dan. Personally, I think we will come out looking for some redemption as a team myself. I think Dak is more of a competitor and a better leader than Tyler. I think we have some good leaders on the defensive side of the ball. Without Cox and Market, safety is a huge concern.

The biggest thing I would like to see different is some two back sets with Josh and Shumpert.

Player leadership is also night and day different on this team compared to 2012. I fully expect us to come out ready to play wherever we wind up. That said, if we don't, there should be some serious questions about Dan.

TrapGame
12-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Player leadership is also night and day different on this team compared to 2012. I fully expect us to come out ready to play wherever we wind up. That said, if we don't, there should be some serious questions about Dan.

Especially if we play a team with anaverage or below average defense and get our run game shut down faster than a crack house on Park Avenue.

mparkerfd20
12-02-2014, 11:13 AM
I fully expect to Shit the bed again. 17 it.

SDDawg
12-02-2014, 01:41 PM
No thanks to Baylor. They would have a feast on our secondary.

They can't stop anyone either though. Not sure we wouldn't win it, even if it was a track meet. I want to play the best opponent available and see what we have left in the tank, win or lose. At this point it's all about pride and there's no pride in playing Boise State.

GTHOM
12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
I want us to win, i want us to call plays better offensively and defensively, i want us to kick touchbacks because we can, but i expect us to do the same thing weve done all year. Whoever we play will surely play the same scheme bama and ole miss did and will stop dak up the middle. My confidence in mullen is down, but if he doesnt respond right in this bowl game, it will be even lower. I hope he gets it straight. Please Dan. Dont play scared

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Now that we lost, the pressure is totally gone. So I'm expecting us to play loose and dominate whoever we play. Mullen and Collins shouldn't have to worry about being conservative or not taking risks....so we will probably see a little bit more of the psycho D and wide open Offense, or else something is wrong. I would tell Smith, Eulls, Virges, PJ, Wells, and BMac to pin their ears back in their last ever game for MSU, and live in the backfield all day long. Offensively, I would air it out and let it be a preview for next season. Lots of creativity, trick plays, and imagination on offense. Anything less and I'll be disappointed. This game should be one that rewards the players and excites recruits....win or lose, we should let it rip.

Well we need to play really well because no matter what bowl game we get we are going to be on a MUCH bigger stage this time than in the 2012 Gator Bowl and people will be watching closely to see how the supposed 2nd best SEC team performs against a good team from another Power 5 conference.