PDA

View Full Version : Brett Hundley vs Dak Prescott

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 10:46 PM
I just saw where Mel Kiper has Hundley as his #3 QB on his big board. Let me preface this by saying I have only seen Hundley play a few times....But is he really good enough to be rated the 3rd best QB this season entering the draft? He must have a much better and more accurate arm than I thought, because I actually thought he was fairly comparable to Dak throwing the football. Is he a much better passer than Dak? I'm genuinely asking because I have no clue

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Yea Hundley has a stronger arm & is more accurate.

Smitty
12-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Dak still struggles at the throwing.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Interestingly enough Dak and Hundley had almost the exact same QB adjusted rating per ESPN. Dak's was 78 and Hundley was 77.

That said, Hundley had half as many INT's and his completion percentage was 10% higher than Dak.

Dak would definitely benefit from coming back though. If he can master the passing game- which is getting closer and closer to- he could have a monster year next year. Bear is a three year guy to throw to, and then we have three other reliable receivers in Ross, Morrow, and Brown. We're going to have better slot WR's- which will make a HUGE difference in our offense and play calling as well. TE is a question mark, but odds are we'll find one. Even if we don't, it's a secondary weapon for us. Plus, we have two really good backs in Shumpert and Robinson and if we use them as a tandem, it will take a lot of pressure off of Dak having to run the ball.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Dak still struggles at the throwing.

Well yea I know that....just didn't realize Hundley was such a better passer.

TUSK
12-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I just saw where Mel Kiper has Hundley as his #3 QB on his big board. Let me preface this by saying I have only seen Hundley play a few times....But is he really good enough to be rated the 3rd best QB this season entering the draft? He must have a much better and more accurate arm than I thought, because I actually thought he was fairly comparable to Dak throwing the football. Is he a much better passer than Dak? I'm genuinely asking because I have no clue

Hundley is legit... Dak needs some refinement...

did Kiper mention Trickett from WV???

klong-dog
12-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Hundley gets to throw it around against some pretty shitty D's from the pac12. Whenever I watched him, he had a serious issue of holding onto the ball too long.

dawgs
12-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Hundley gets to throw it around against some pretty shitty D's from the pac12. Whenever I watched him, he had a serious issue of holding onto the ball too long.

Right because pac 12 QBs are never good in the NFL and sec QBs dominate every year

::rolls eyes::

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Hundley is legit... Dak needs some refinement...

did Kiper mention Trickett from WV???

Can't remember. I know he had Mariota, Winston, Hundley, and Connor Cook as his top 4 I believe.

JDog13
12-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Right because pac 12 QBs are never good in the NFL and sec QBs dominate every year

::rolls eyes::

Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf, Jack Thompson, Todd Marinovich, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Tommy Maddox, Terry Baker, Cade McNown, And don't forget Masoli that sucked in the SEC at tsun and sucked in Canada. I don't know the older guys, I just thought it was ironic you said PAC 12 qb's are never good in the NFL.... and I remembered reading an article about PAC 12 qb busts.

Smitty
12-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Matt Leinart, Ryan Leaf, Jack Thompson, Todd Marinovich, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Tommy Maddox, Terry Baker, Cade McNown, And don't forget Masoli that sucked in the SEC at tsun and sucked in Canada. I don't know the older guys, I just thought it was ironic you said PAC 12 qb's are never good in the NFL.... and I remembered reading an article about PAC 12 qb busts.

Tim Couch, Danny Wuerfell, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, Rex Grossman, David Greene, Matt Flynn, Brodie Croyle, Tebow... Off the top of my head

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Here's my thoughts on the two.

Size: Hundley is 6'3" 225. He has outstanding size for the QB position. We've had arguments on here about whether Dak is really 6'2" = Advantage Hundley

Athleticism: On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate Hundley as an 8 athlete and Dak as a 7. Both have similar power and top end speed, but I think Hundley has a little quicker feet and little more quick twitch. Hundley also has a looser body than Dak. Dak is tightly wound, and that can cause stiffness at times.
http://www.wcbsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/21.gif

Arm: I think this is the biggest difference and where Dak can make the most improvement this offseason. Hundley has a more athletic arm and a tighter more compact arm stroke than Dak. Both of these allow Hundley to produce more leverage and power in his throws. IMO, one of Dak's major shortcomings is, due to his tightly wound, muscular body, he has a "one piece" arm stroke, meaning that his arm stroke can look stiff and stays at the same angle throughout the arm action. Due to this, most all of the power he produces on his throws comes from his shoulder and legs. Most QBs needs their legs, but QBs with loose, compact, athletic arms have a greater ability to generate power with their elbow joint and throw from different positions, off balance, side arm, jump throws, etc... Brett Favre had one of the most athletic arms I've ever seen, Dak's isn't bad, but it could get better.(This isn't about overall arm strength, as in who can throw the ball the furthest. This about feel, touch, and the ability to throw from angles. It's the difference in how a Centerfielder throws a baseball and how a shortstop throws) This is why Dak looks so great when he steps into his throw, but looks terrible when throwing under pressure when he can't use his legs. Anything he could do to develop a more athletic arm this off season, would be great for our team.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3432469/Stanford_Open_Field_Tackle_2.gif

SDDawg
12-02-2014, 12:00 AM
The list of bust QBs will always be long (and represent all leagues), and the list of effective and successful QBs will always be short. Just the way it is. Look at how many guys are starting and playing at a high level in the NFL that weren't major standouts in college- there are quite a few.

JDog13
12-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Tim Couch, Danny Wuerfell, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, Rex Grossman, David Greene, Matt Flynn, Brodie Croyle, Tebow... Off the top of my head

Where was David Greene from. Georgia?

JDog13
12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
The list of bust QBs will always be long (and represent all leagues), and the list of effective and successful QBs will always be short. Just the way it is. Look at how many guys are starting and playing at a high level in the NFL that weren't major standouts in college- there are quite a few.

Yeah I wasn't trying to say PAC was any worse than the others. It was when he said PAC 12 qb's can't play in the nfl, made me remember that article on PAC 12 qb busts by a PAC 12 writer.

dawgs
12-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Yeah I wasn't trying to say PAC was any worse than the others. It was when he said PAC 12 qb's can't play in the nfl, made me remember that article on PAC 12 qb busts by a PAC 12 writer.

Look at what I was responding to. The guy implied hundley was only rated better because he played shittier pac 12 defenses. That's just false. For years the pac 12 had been known to be a very good conference at producing NFL QBs, and "playing against shitty PAC 12 defenses" hasn't hurt or helped them. That's the only point I'm making. The quality of defense you play against (or are perceived to play against) in college has little to no bearing on your potential as a NFL QB. Just a dumb statement to make when comparing NFL QB prospects.

Political Hack
12-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Dak is 6'1".

msstate7
12-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Dak is 6'1".

Hack, please don't start this again. :)